• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a slight irony to it, is what I'm saying. For all we know, 2 generations from now we could be completely controllerless a la kinect (obviously working a lot better than the current model kinect does).

Standards change with time. I just wish infrared wasn't being given up on, to be honest.
lol I know. And that's right. Maybe in 10 years we'll be like OMG THE WII-U3 DOESN'T COME WITH A VIRTUAL HELMET? NINTENDOOOOO IGNORING STANDARDS AGAIN.

ReyVGM

I never thought about it, but the NES controller was non traditional also by not using a joystick like the Atari controller or Arcade machines.

An interesting post, to say the least.

Yeah, "normal controller" really has historically meant "different from the prior generation", at least when referring to controllers packaged in from the start. By this definition, every system in history has had a normal controller with the exception of the Xbox 360, the Playstation 3 and (arguably) the Playstation 2.

edit: and the NEC Super-GrafX, but that barely counts as a generation shift at best

AzaK

There is a slight irony to it, is what I'm saying. For all we know, 2 generations from now we could be completely controllerless a la kinect (obviously working a lot better than the current model kinect does).

Standards change with time. I just wish infrared wasn't being given up on, to be honest.
I'm torn on this one. The Wii Remote is great for FPS and I much prefer it over dual analogs, however needed todo something new and the controller is the obvious place to do that. With what they are adding to gameplay potential with it, I almost think its a worthwhile sacrifice, albeit reluctantly.

One thing I want to know, is if the pad can be comfortably held in one hand. If so then a mixed pad-Wii Remote control scheme might work which would give us the best of both worlds.

Azure J

I wonder why everyone's firing up on all cylinders to understate Wii U's graphical capabilities. I'm keeping my expectations tempered and even with my casual understandings on the politics/concessions necessary to make a console or any sort of computing hardware, I see so many holes in that DF turned GamesIndustry highlight article that it makes me wonder how they can really call themselves experts on the subject.

This is also coming after their initial breakdown played on some BurntPork shit with that RV730 nonsense. Even after hearing about how alpha that footage was, they still have yet to recant on the issue.

I'm torn on this one. The Wii Remote is great for FPS and I much prefer it over dual analogs, however needed todo something new and the controller is the obvious place to do that. With what they are adding to gameplay potential with it, I almost think its a worthwhile sacrifice, albeit reluctantly.

One thing I want to know, is if the pad can be comfortably held in one hand. If so then a mixed pad-Wii Remote control scheme might work which would give us the best of both worlds.

Except that the intent of the setup is for the Wii U controller to be placed near the television when you are using the Wii Remote, on account of the sensor bar being built in.

StevieP

Banned
Yeah, "normal controller" really has historically meant "different from the prior generation", at least when referring to controllers packaged in from the start. By this definition, every system in history has had a normal controller with the exception of the Xbox 360, the Playstation 3 and (arguably) the Playstation 2.

edit: and the NEC Super-GrafX, but that barely counts as a generation shift at best

You put it much more eloquently than I. Thank you.

You're not going to be holding the pad in one hand. While I would appreciate having a resistive pad (a la DS - so many of the most awesome games last gen were on the DS!) to work with in regards to gameplay ideas, but as a home console I appreciated the pointer more. It was the closest thing I've felt to my preferred scheme (on PC) in terms of speed and accuracy and it's a shame that it's basically going to go to the wayside. Regression to dual-analog just means I'll be going KB+M for all of my first/third person game purchases again.

There were other genres that were served well by "waggle" or Motion+/Move tech as well. The lightgun genre saw a resurgence on consoles - you can't do that well with a UPad. Third person games (RE4 Wii, Godfather Blackhand, etc) made it difficult to play other similar games/sequels on other consoles and PC (RE5? blegh. GTA4? blegh - definitely a step down control-wise). Tennis? Golf? You'd better believe that a UPad can't serve those up properly - as Nintendo themselves had showcased. The Wii Remote was the right idea. A step in the right direction, for me, would be for a refined version of Motion+ - perhaps with another analog stick or something. You can split a dual-analog pad into 2, you know. It would be like the Sony Move but with the superior IR instead of a gyro pointer and a magnetometer for less calibration and drift.

Truthfully, the gyro based pointer controls of Skyward Sword we're 10x quicker and more responsive than the infrared pointer, not to mention the added benefit of being able to orient yourself even when pointed off screen and manually recalibrate on the fly. It really is better than the infrared pointer in every conceivable way.

StevieP

Banned
Truthfully, the gyro based pointer controls of Skyward Sword we're 10x quicker and more responsive than the infrared pointer, not to mention the added benefit of being able to orient yourself even when pointed off screen and manually recalibrate on the fly. It really is better than the infrared pointer in every conceivable way.

I disagree pretty much completely. A lot of people in the clusterfuck of a Zelda thread likely feel the same way.

Edit: let me add that I had no problem with things like Swordplay and such (which I enjoyed immensely) but I feel the gyro pointer is a step down/
As an example of how much more imprecise a gyro-based solution is, purchase or rent a copy of both Wii Play and Wii Play Motion.

There is the "duck hunt" style shooting gallery in both games. In Wii Play, it uses IR. In Wii Play Motion an expanded version of the same game uses a gyro pointer. The accuracy difference is pretty immense, in my opinion.

luffeN

What about a Metroid Prime Hunters hybrid for shooters? Put a plastic nob on your index finger (right or left) and control the player with the left or right analog stick. Shooting with one of the triggers.. and the rest.. I don't know xD

No way, completely disagree. Pointer controls are 10x faster. Hell go and play MP3, or the MPTrilogy. Aiming with the pointer is way faster.

You're better off using the MP+ for orientation but the pointer for the main aiming aspect. A combination of the two works well.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The PS3's heatsink solution is far more complicated in design. Do you think Nintendo will have that capability for WiiU?
I hope not. PS3slim suffers from some very apparent heat disposal issues. The crackling sound the case makes when the system heats up indicates parts of the case heat up when those were not meant to. I hope WiiU's heat disposal system will be more akin to Mac Mini's (or a good notebook's, for that matter) - there the path from the (major) heatsink to the vents is very direct and short, thus, high throughput.

wsippel

Banned
The PS3's heatsink solution is far more complicated in design. Do you think Nintendo will have that capability for WiiU?
What do you mean? The capabilities to design it internally? Possibly. The money to hire an external company to design something? lol

But I doubt it'll be necessary. I mean, look at the case: Intake and exhaust are very close to each other, but far enough apart to prevent hot air from being sucked back in. They use a very straight forward solution with a 40mm axial fan at the back and a 60mm fanless intake. With a 40x28 fan, they can get a lot of cool air in and hot air out fast.

Except that the intent of the setup is for the Wii U controller to be placed near the television when you are using the Wii Remote, on account of the sensor bar being built in.

The Wii U comes bundled with a sensor bar. The sensor bar on the controller is for unique experiences, like the footage they showed with Wii Golf where tablet is on floor and remote is used over it. Also when playing 5-player games the 4 people using Remotes use sensor bar by TV not the sensor bar on the tablet.

The Wii U comes bundled with a sensor bar. The sensor bar on the controller is for unique experiences, like the footage they showed with Wii Golf where tablet is on floor and remote is used over it. Also when playing 5-player games the 4 people using Remotes use sensor bar by TV not the sensor bar on the tablet.

Speculation or cited truth? They don't say it on Nintendo's E3 hardware rundown, but I could have missed a reference to this elsewhere.

Your second point about the imbalanced multiplay is a good one, though.

AlStrong

In response to that article. I thought the new xbox slim designs are actually faster then the older ones due to the shrink BUT are throttled down to the original 360 speeds to keep everything compatible.

Something like that. The latency of signals is pretty important for maintaining compatibility and the size of the transistors and clockspeeds will have an effect there (clearly). The SoC required an FSB replacement to simulate the slower original 360 chip. It just makes lives easier on the software side for making sure everything works from old games to new regardless of hardware revision.

Is it possible that we are looking at graphical power differences between all three consoles in the range of this (below) for next generation or will it be more broad? if wii u was using a 28nm gpu what would be the TDP for something along the lines of a 7750 equivalent in power designed for the console?

Radeon HD 7750 Wii U
Radeon HD 7770 XBOX
Radeon HD 7790 PS4

If we get a 7750 or 7770 in range of power for next gen I would be very happy for all three to be in that range and ecstatic if WiiU was even 7750 equivalent

I am not even sure if it is a given that the wii GPU will be over 1200GFLOPS in performance but if it is then would that be around 5 times more graphical processing than the GPU on the XBOX 360?

What would be the Max TDP the GPU would have to be to fit in the WiiU case? if it is under 66W for GPU then something like a 7750 in power would be out of the question. What if we looked at something in the mobility range and if tweaked it up to meet a power equivalent to about 5x the xbox 360.

5870M TDP 50W 40nm 1120GFLOPS
6950M TDP 50W 40nm 1113GFLOPS

What is the concensus on what TDP the WiiU is likely to consume? how much goes into the GPU-CPU-drive and other parts?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What about the idea of an onboard air-compressor to decrease the volume of exhaust air comming off the processors? Might that explain why the case is so small yet the system is so poweful?

StevieP

Banned
What about the idea of an onboard air-compressor to decrease the volume of exhaust air comming off the processors? Might that explain why the case is so small?

Each Wii U comes with one of these:
609_16473_P.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
What about the idea of an onboard air-compressor to decrease the volume of exhaust air comming off the processors? Might that explain why the case is so small?
The console will come with a foot pump, which doubles as a Balance Board substitute, so you can blow off the heat while you're playing Wii Fit.

EDIT: Damn you, StevieP :p

guit3457

GDGF

Soothsayer
I don't know if it was posted before but spanish game sites and blogs are reporting that Mat Atkinson, former Director of Technology in Crytek is working in Nintendo as Consultant Software Engineer.
He worked in Lionhead and Ignition.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/markatkinson99

http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/wii-u/nintendo-ficha-al-director-tecnologia-del-cryengine-3-7948.html

Apparently one of his achievements has been the adaptation of the CryEngine 3 to PS3 and Xbox 360.

This could be a very nice thing. Nintendo snatching up the tech head of a software house renown for their graphics engine.

Jackano

I don't know if it was posted before but spanish game sites and blogs are reporting that Mat Atkinson, former Director of Technology in Crytek is working in Nintendo as Consultant Software Engineer.

http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/wii-u/nintendo-ficha-al-director-tecnologia-del-cryengine-3-7948.html

Apparently one of his achievements has been the adaptation of the CryEngine 3 to PS3 and Xbox 360.

Nice CV.

royalan

Good acquisition. Now lets hope his words have some weight over at Nintendo, because I highly doubt someone from Crytek would ever suggest Nintendo be conservative with power.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just popped in my head, but Nintendo should name their next gen software engine Nintengine :)

(ba-bump-bump ching!)

AlStrong

I know. But even the 360 slim heatsink uses a copper core.

It's also heavier/denser, so you'll need to balance the Cu to Al ratio. (i.e. between copper plate/heatpipes and Al fins). At the end of the day, for the space that's there, I don't think they can go too exotic with cooler designs.

wsippel

Banned
It's also heavier/denser, so you'll need to balance the Cu to Al ratio. (i.e. between copper plate/heatpipes and Al fins). At the end of the day, for the space that's there, I don't think they can go too exotic with cooler designs.
Right, but again: Looking at the Wii U case, the heatsink would look very different anyway. Probably much closer to the heatsinks found in big gaming notebooks or iMacs. Copper plate, heatpipes, Cu or Al fins. Also, the system is actually supposed to be surprisingly heavy.

sfried

Just popped in my head, but Nintendo should name their next gen software engine Nintengine :)

(ba-bump-bump ching!)
I read that as NinTENGEN.

Oh God. Powerful hardware made even more powerful by hacking into itself. Forget unlocking the second core, this is the new shit!

Right, but again: Looking at the Wii U case, the heatsink would look very different anyway. Probably much closer to the heatsinks found in big gaming notebooks or iMacs. Copper plate, heatpipes, Cu or Al fins. Also, the system is actually supposed to be surprisingly heavy.

The answer is obviously vapor chamber heat sinks.....(kidding obviously)

Instro

Pretty interesting addition. Picking up people like this will probably be immensely useful in building their graphics engines.

K444WSR

With all these various guys that nintendo has been reported to have hired, my hype just keeps building. We've waited a long time to see the various nintendo franchises we love in hd and in about 5-6 months will see them all (hopefully).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom