• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft reportedly working on Kinect-enabled laptops

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/27/microsoft-reportedly-working-on-kinect-enabled-laptops/

While details are light, the iPad-based publication says that it's seen a pair of prototypes that "appear to be Asus netbooks running Windows 8," but which have had their webcams replaced with an array of sensors that run along the top of the screen (a set of LEDs are said to be at the bottom). The Daily also says that it's confirmed with a source at Microsoft that the devices are indeed official prototypes of a Kinect-enabled laptop, and it unsurprisingly suggests that Microsoft would likely license the technology to laptop manufacturers rather than build its own hardware.

Debated whether or not this should go in gaming or off-topic. I really don't see the appeal of putting Kinect in a laptop, either for gaming or for using an OS.

Dipswitch

I can see this being more useful with tablets. Would potentially allow you to use the tablet without rubbing your grubby mitts all over your nice clean screen.

Whether it would have the precision necessary is another matter. Might take another iteration or two of the hardware to get to that stage.

I really don't see the appeal of putting Kinect in a laptop, either for gaming or for using an OS.
It likely won't be primarily for gaming or OS navigation. I assume it's for the apps being created with the Kinect For Windows SDK and the soon to be released Kinect PC Development hardware package. I'm sure you've seen some of the cool Kinect "hacks" PC devs have made; expect to see them sold in the Windows 8 store.

It likely won't be primarily for gaming or OS navigation. I assume it's for the apps being created with the Kinect For Windows SDK and the soon to be released Kinect PC Development hardware package. I'm sure you've seen some of the cool Kinect "hacks" PC devs have made; expect to see them sold in the Windows 8 store.

I'm not saying I don't see a point of having Kinet on PCs, just on laptops. If they were to starting including it into 19"+ monitors that's something I could get behind, but I think the small form-factor of laptops won't really benefit from Kinect all that much. The article says that the prototype is a netbook, too, so we're talking a sub-10" screen.

Awesome. Kinect will eventually be a really cool thing. Whether it'll be a really cool things for games is still up in the air.

It's not up in the air really, it only works well in a handful of games at best. It will work well for the occasional game, but it is not really a gaming device.

It should be sold like an ipod touch, it has many functions and can do loads of things depending on what app it has.

It really should have been a standalone consumer device from the start, which could plug into your PC, or 360, or even straight to your tv and it would be usable.

The app model would work so much better than what they're doing with it now, and it would get more people interested because the focus on games atm simply doesn't work for it.

Wiktor

Great idea. With tablets it would be a little useless, but for laptops and desktops it should be awesome. THe big problem with touch controls on dekstops and laptops is the need to reach all the way to the screen, which is clunky and waste of time. Kinect would solve that, making Metro UI very laptop friendly

It's a good idea. But I dunno, maybe I'm just lazy, but I'm always looking for keyboard shortcuts instead of moving my arm over to my mouse to do something. so i doubt I'd want to be waiving my arms around to go back to a previous webpage.

Haunted

I'm not saying I don't see a point of having Kinet on PCs, just on laptops. If they were to starting including it into 19"+ monitors that's something I could get behind, but I think the small form-factor of laptops won't really benefit from Kinect all that much. The article says that the prototype is a netbook, too, so we're talking a sub-10" screen.
Yeah, that's pretty weird. Don't you need to be a good range away from the device to have it recognise you properly?

Can't see that working so great with a small netbook screen.

Wiktor

Yeah, that's pretty weird. Don't you need to be a good range away from the device to have it recognise you properly?

Can't see that working so great with a small netbook screen.

The Kinect they're releasing for PC isn't the same as the one for 360. One of the changes is that it is able to recognize movements from up close.

Cypher

perifericos_2.jpg

LQX

Question: Can Kinect for the PC be used to control the mouse courser with input functions?

mhayze

I think this story was the result of a random word headline generator. Rejected headlines in the video game family from the same tool include:

- Castlevania prize nut crisps sell manager short
- Mass Effects felt in Apple fungus rapture scandal
- Vita camera pill captures rabid kangaroo massacre

Top Bottom