• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Xbox VR headset is on the way, but it’s a ‘limited edition’ Meta Quest

Topher

Gold Member
Microsoft is teaming up with Meta to create a limited edition Meta Quest VR headset that’s “inspired by Xbox.” While both Microsoft and Meta aren’t sharing full details on this VR headset, it sounds like it’s simply going to be a skinned Meta Quest 3 (or future unannounced version) that comes bundled with an Xbox controller.

“We’re working together again [with Microsoft] to create a limited-edition Meta Quest, inspired by Xbox,” says Meta in an announcement today. It’s part of Meta opening up its operating system that powers its Quest VR headsets to third-party hardware makers. Asus and Lenovo are creating dedicated headsets that run the Meta Horizon OS, but the partnership with Microsoft sounds like it’s simply a limited-edition headset — much like how Microsoft creates limited-edition Xbox consoles.

In an Instagram post, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg says the version of the headset that is being teased today “comes out of the box with Xbox controllers and Game Pass, so you can immediately just start playing on a big screen anywhere you go.”

Microsoft has a mixed history with VR headsets on the Xbox side, which has led to the company partnering with Meta more closely recently. A document leak in 2012 detailing Xbox One plans showed that Microsoft had considered Kinect Glasses, codenamed Project Fortaleza. Those never came to life with the launch of the Xbox One console, but Microsoft then created a more powerful Xbox One X version that was supposed to be VR-capable.

“We’ve architected it such that something will be able to plug right in and work,” said Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer in 2016 about VR support for Project Scorpio, the codename for Xbox One X. The Xbox One X never had VR headset support despite the company shipping its Xbox One controllers with the Oculus Rift.

After the demise of Microsoft’s failed Windows Mixed Reality efforts, the company eventually pivoted toward partnering with Meta more closely. Quest owners can now use Word, Excel, and PowerPoint in VR, and Microsoft and Meta also partnered to bring Xbox Cloud Gaming to Quest VR headsets last year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is that clickbait?

t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

Make it fully compatible with Xbox you cowards

Best you're gonna get is probably xCloud.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Even though its mostly just cosmetic now (and the GP app), a partnership between these two would be great for VR. Lots of options in the future depending on what rumors are true for Xbox next gen.

StereoVsn

I find it more interesting that Lenovo and ASUS are making VR hardware with Meta’s OS. It would be interesting if you could get into them without needing Actual Meta account and using it for SteamVR or whatnot instead.

I don’t see the point in Xbox themed headset as such, but I am sure some folks will find it interesting.

StereoVsn

Even though its mostly just cosmetic now (and the GP app), a partnership between these two would be great for VR. Lots of options in the future depending on what rumors are true for Xbox next gen.
Anytime there is a partnership because two giant corpos ones who lose are always customers.

SoloCamo

Testing the waters, I guarantee it. MS is going to try to pull some Switch with VR capability hybrid console. Makes sense to a point but it's all in the execution and most of all, having games people want to play.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Hopium: This partnership results in a future standalone Xbox Series Headset with enough horsepower to not only play VR/AR games, but Xbox Series console games in the form of a handheld or through a projected virtual screen.

MarkMe2525

I think both Xbox and PlayStation should allow for WiFi streaming to the Quest 3. Its worked wonderfully in my home with PC and cloud.
I bet you could side load the android Xbox app .apk

Edit: FoxMcChief FoxMcChief I tried it out tonight and it works. You're limited the maximum 16x9 size of the "projected window" UI mode, but it worked great. I was able to watch my Q70 (in game mode) through passthrough while playing, to compare input lag, and I honestly could not distinguish which screen displayed the image first. I was pleasantly surprised. Of course, the best answer would be a native app that allowed for resizable windows.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I do not think it moves the needle for both partners but I also think it is cool. I already have a Quest 3 so I don't see myself buying a new one for a new coat of paint, but if I was looking for one, why not?

I think it’s a slap in the face for Xbox console owners if this is labeled Xbox and doesn’t work on the consoles. Especially after promising “high fidelity vr” for the One X.

MarkMe2525

I think it’s a slap in the face for Xbox console owners if this is labeled Xbox and doesn’t work on the consoles. Especially after promising “high fidelity vr” for the One X.
A Quest 3, with an Xbox themed color scheme, should connect to an Xbox or it's a slap in the face? ......what??

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Oh Microsoft, you are doing so many things except those that fans of your dying platform want you to.

To be fair, vr is a money losing proposition generally, that only a small portion of gamers really want. What's the incentive?
(Ssying this as someone who enjoys vr)

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Meta Quest 2 has Xcloud on offer so this makes some sense. Use an Xbox controller and an Xbox themed VR set for it.

Its a limitid edition Quest?

Then don't call it an Xbox headset ffs. Do it right and call it an Xbox themed headset and we're good. But this nonsense has to stop.
Same as calling all devices which run Gamespass an Xbox device.

It. Just. Doesn't. Work. That. Way.

Last edited:
A Quest 3, with an Xbox themed color scheme, should connect to an Xbox or it's a slap in the face? ......what??
People associate “Xbox” to the console box. They promised high fidelity vr in the past. If they finally do a Xbox headset and it doesn’t work on console. It’s a slap in the face. Yes.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I bet you could side load the android Xbox app .apk

Edit: FoxMcChief FoxMcChief I tried it out tonight and it works. You're limited the maximum 16x9 size of the "projected window" UI mode, but it worked great. I was able to watch my Q70 (in game mode) through passthrough while playing, to compare input lag, and I honestly could not distinguish which screen displayed the image first. I was pleasantly surprised. Of course, the best answer would be a native app that allowed for resizable windows.
what app did you use?

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

what app did you use?
I downloaded the standard Xbox app through apkmirror.com. I then used a glitch in an app lab app called "Mobile VR Station" to install the APK directly from the download folder in the Quest. It was very convoluted and would recommend downloading the app APK on a PC, to then install with side quest. For most, it would be best to wait for official native app support.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Its a limitid edition Quest?

Then don't call it an Xbox headset ffs. Do it right and call it an Xbox themed headset and we're good. But this nonsense has to stop.
Same as calling all devices which run Gamespass an Xbox device.

It. Just. Doesn't. Work. That.

Microsoft is teaming up with Meta to create a limited edition Meta Quest VR headset that’s “inspired by Xbox.”

Literally the first sentence. No one is calling it an Xbox headset.

Top Bottom