• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Disconnect the battery and see what happens. There was a time with the Quest 2 that I had to disconnect the head strap battery from the Quests and charge the headset and strap separately.

Disconnect the battery and see what happens. There was a time with the Quest 2 that I had to disconnect the head strap battery from the Quests and charge the headset and strap separately.
I disconnected the headstrap completely and i put the quest 3 on charge all night , it still says battery is 100% , after it only gives me the option to restart or power off , I tried many times holding the power button for 10 seconds ,so I'm thinking its a defect , I did look on youtube or online if anyone else is having this issue.. not many , I think Ill return it to amazon
I even tried a factory reset , it still wont start , I see a black screen and it shuts off

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Guys and Gals, if you want to sweat your ass off while pounding robots, give Underdog a shot. This is my new daily go to game, not only for the fun mechanics, but because you will physically work for your victories.

I disconnected the headstrap completely and i put the quest 3 on charge all night , it still says battery is 100% , after it only gives me the option to restart or power off , I tried many times holding the power button for 10 seconds ,so I'm thinking its a defect , I did look on youtube or online if anyone else is having this issue.. not many , I think Ill return it to amazon
I even tried a factory reset , it still wont start , I see a black screen and it shuts off
It always feels shitty to get a shiny new toy, to then find something is wrong with it. If you are factory resetting without better results, it is in your best interest to exchange for sure. Might I suggest returning and purchasing from a brick and morter store. It makes these situations so much easier.

Last edited:
Guys and Gals, if you want to sweat your ass off while pounding robots, give Underdog a shot. This is my new daily go to game, not only for the fun mechanics, but because you will physically work for your victories.

It always feels shitty to get a shiny new toy, to then find something is wrong with it. If you are factory resetting without better results, it is in your best interest to exchange for sure. Might I suggest returning and purchasing from a brick and morter store. It makes these situations so much easier.
Yeah! I know it sucks ass , oh well , it's been returned , now I wait! Load of shit.

Minsc

Gold Member
Man I am having issues with my elite battery strap, it's stopped being recognized by the headset and disappears

Yeah, Meta's initial batch had some serious flaw - most died out. But they'll RMA it (most likely just let you toss that one) and send you a new one for free.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Man I am having issues with my elite battery strap, it's stopped being recognized by the headset and disappears
There are a few YouTube videos which show how to recover from that. Good luck.

If the strap is unplugged after it reaches 0 percent it dissappears. You'll have to give the strap a charge on it's own then replug it back into the quest 3.
It's as if the Quest 3 us unable to see a 0 percent strap battery.
If I leave it plugged in at all times It seems to remember the strap battery is there even if it reaches 0 percent.

Romulus

How big of an upgrade does this feel like over Quest 2?

Pretty big if you pick up Quest 2 and immediately use Quest 3. Pancake lenses for sure. If you haven't used Quest 2 in a while your brain might remember it being better than it was. I do alot of PCVR mod testing, and typically I'll use Quest 2 first and drain the battery down then jump on Quest 3 when its ready. Yeah, the difference is immediately apparent and worth it.

Last edited:

SiahWester

How big of an upgrade does this feel like over Quest 2?
It's like upgrading a smart phone 2 or 3 generations ahead. Resolution is a bit better, but not a huge difference imo. The biggest improvement are the pancake lenses hands down. It doesn't feel like a blurry mess anymore. The pass through is a good upgrade as well. Even though there isn't a lot of mixed reality content having a higher resolution pass through makes the headset more comfortable for longer sessions. You don't feel isolated using it since you can just tap on the headset and walk around your house.

The biggest con of the Quest 3 is mura. It shows up in bright environments and it's fugly. It's like a dirty screen effect that takes you out of the experience depending on the severity. Every freaking headset has different levels of mura. The QA is nonexistent or allows way too many flaws to get through. I went through 6 headsets with dead pixels before I found a good headset. Unfortunately that "good" headset was plagued with mura so I went through another exchange only to find more headsets with dead pixels. So I don't have a Quest 3 atm until Meta fixes their QA. That might never happen.

Some more cons would be them placing the aux on the other side of the headset, the hand tracking constantly telling you your environment is too dark in decent lighting, and the microphone sounded worse than the Quest 2.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Having a real cool moment. I have three browsers open on my quest 3 and in passthrough. One window with with neogaf thread updating in realtime, one window with a youtube video playing and a third window on amazon looking for quest 3 controller grips.

Engadget blurb about the Apple Vision Pro pixel density.
Its over 50x MY IPHONE 15.
They mention a new number Ive never seen before Pixel per degree Of 34. Quest 3 PPD 25 and PSVR2 PPD 19.
anyone know care to explain this ? what PPD is?

Reallink

Engadget blurb about the Apple Vision Pro pixel density.
Its over 50x MY IPHONE 15.
They mention a new number Ive never seen before Pixel per degree Of 34. Quest 3 PPD 25 and PSVR2 PPD 19.
anyone know care to explain this ? what PPD is?

My understanding is that it's basically PPI factored into the FOV of the headset. Pixels per degree of your view. I don't think it's a very good metric cause fov is difficult to measure, is not standardized, and differs wildly with facial structure and fit. The numbers are also too small which suggests to most people 25 Vs. 34 are quite close and not very different, when they're in actuality worlds apart.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
My understanding is that it's basically PPI factored into the FOV of the headset. Pixels per degree of your view. I don't think it's a very good metric cause fov is difficult to measure, is not standardized, and differs wildly with facial structure and fit. The numbers are also too small which suggests to most people 25 Vs. 34 are quite close and not very different, when they're actuality worlds apart in use.

I dunno is it wrong though? That's basically saying AVP is about 50% higher resolution than Quest 3. Which I think is more or less correct?

Of course a headset has more pixel density than a phone. A phone is larger than the screen on the headset and occupies a fraction of the area of your FOV. A phone is what like maybe 1/50th your FOV, while a headset is nearly your entire FOV.

It's like being surprised your 7" phone has a higher pixel density than a 100" HDTV.

Last edited:

Reallink

I dunno is it wrong though? That's basically saying AVP is about 50% higher resolution than Quest 3. Which I think is more or less correct?

Of course a headset has more pixel density than a phone. A phone is larger than the screen on the headset and occupies a fraction of the area of your FOV. A phone is what like maybe 1/50th your FOV, while a headset is nearly your entire FOV.

It's like being surprised your 7" phone has a higher pixel density than a 100" HDTV.

Its really not accurate for most people as FOV is subjective and can be easily goosed by unscrupulouse marketers going forward. VP has ~2.7x the number of pixels of Quest 3 and a similar FOV, which for the layman observer isn't at all reflected in a single catch all number of 25 Vs. 34.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
While that's true, a % is more understandable than a random number of pixels. I mean if a headset was 4k x 4k and you increase it to 6k x 6k resolution, that's a 50% increase and you're talking a 20 million pixel increase, or a 2.25x the amount of pixels.

I guess %s are just simpler to understand for me. Because I know how fine/clear the pixels look on a Quest 3, so a headset with 50% more pixels will look about 50% clearer.

Like if the Quest 3 is 2000p and the AVP is 3000p, despite having 2.5x more pixels, it's only got a 50% greater vertical resolution, so there's no way it will be 2.5x more detailed, vertically. 2000p over your vertical FOV vs 3000p over your vertical FOV, and the AVP is 50% sharper. At least that's putting in a way I understand.

My understanding is that it's basically PPI factored into the FOV of the headset. Pixels per degree of your view. I don't think it's a very good metric cause fov is difficult to measure, is not standardized, and differs wildly with facial structure and fit. The numbers are also too small which suggests to most people 25 Vs. 34 are quite close and not very different, when they're in actuality worlds apart.
I guess %s are just simpler to understand for me. Because I know how fine/clear the pixels look on a Quest 3, so a headset with 50% more pixels will look about 50% clearer.
If the FOV is lower the PPD goes up with the same resolution?
A Pimax has the same PPD as the Vision Pro. How would they compare pixel density between them? It does seem to be a useless number trying to compare the two.

MrMephistoX

Anyone try Golf+? I’m considering either getting some actual clubs (I’ve had mine since middle school) or a Quest 3 and an attachment since realistically I’d probably use it more given how expensive actual real life golf is.

Bought Moss 1&2 bundle last night. I've rebought everything I originally bought on the PSVR1 with the exception of two that are still in the iffy stage.
Astrobot Rescue Mission, I still have hope that this will get a port someday.
The other one I need to know more about.
Super Amazeballs was available on the PSVR1 and also Steam but the steam reviews say that an update broke the game and it no longer works in VR.
Does anyone here have the game on Steam/PC? Does it still work? Anyone willing to risk 5 bucks to find out?
Is rolling a ball through a maze in a big clear ball worth all the trouble? I think it is.

MAX Mustard released today.

I am super hyped, though the last preview I saw on youtubes said the music was meh and has no identity (very disappointing to hear). These platformers need a catchy tune or 12.
Trailer

Quickplay

Review

Last edited:

Resenge

MAX Mustard released today.

I am super hyped, though the last preview I saw on youtubes said the music was meh and has no identity (very disappointing to hear). These platformers need a catchy tune or 12.
Trailer

Quickplay

Review

Have been enjoying it so far. It's about time someone cloned Astrobot. It's not as charming as Astrobot but it feels good to play and seems to have some fun unlockables. The first shooting mini game is tight in time to get gold.

Since no one has posted one yet, here is a 25% off refferal link if anyone wants it.

Last edited:
I’ve play up to the dont Look down level Before needing to take a break.
I missed a bunch of coins jumping over the cannon balls.
I feel like I’m standing too tall in the game. Like I need to be a bit shorter. I had to crouch down to see the opening sequence through the hole.
but yea I am enjoying the game.
Only 3 collectible mudkips per level so far.
I tried that shooting gallery also and it gets faster.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
My Quest 3 arrives this week. I've picked up a few games/experiences already, but I'm debating between a few games as my last pickup.

Blade & Sorcery? Moss 1 & 2? or Beat Saber?

All similar prices. Just wondering if there's any recommendations between the three for a newcomer to VR.

My Quest 3 arrives this week. I've picked up a few games/experiences already, but I'm debating between a few games as my last pickup.

All similar prices. Just wondering if there's any recommendations between the three for a newcomer to VR.
Beat Saber would get the most use.

I’m currently playing MaxMustard. I’m liking it but It’s easy.

Moss is ok I guess. The bug fights are not fun.

GHG

There's a couple of decent bundles available via humble and fanatical that you should jump on:

(recommend amid evil, I expect you to die, swarm and yupitergrad)

(no reason not to get the full bundle here)

Last edited:

darthvargi

There's a couple of decent bundles available via humble and fanatical that you should jump on:

Great recommendation but it should be pointed out that these are on Steam and not native to Quest so you need a gaming PC and additional software to play plus possibly a Link cable depending on your setup.

darthvargi

If you have never played VR I recommend Moss. Beat Saber is obviously great too. Blade and Sorcery can make you sick if you haven't built VR legs due to the locomotion, physics, and a hanky framerate.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Beat Saber would get the most use.

I’m currently playing MaxMustard. I’m liking it but It’s easy.

Moss is ok I guess. The bug fights are not fun.

Great recommendation but it should be pointed out that these are on Steam and not native to Quest so you need a gaming PC and additional software to play plus possibly a Link cable depending on your setup.

If you have never played VR I recommend Moss. Beat Saber is obviously great too. Blade and Sorcery can make you sick if you haven't built VR legs due to the locomotion, physics, and a hanky framerate.

Thanks for the recommendations. I should clarify that 90% of the time I plan to use my Quest for PC VR, not native. I've got a high-end PC hardwired to a nice Wi-Fi 6 router and I've already purchased Virtual Desktop in preparation.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The v64 update has been great. Passthrough looks better, I can use my phone a lot easier. I used to have to turn the brightness all the way down on my phone, but now I don’t.

It seems like the hand tracking is way better in lower than great lighting.

I’m bored with traditional gaming right now. I went from FF7 Rebirth, to Dragons Dogma 2, to Dead Island 2, to NHL 24. It’s all just same. Nothing new.

I think I'm gonna go Quest 3 heavy for a week or so, as a palette cleanser.

MarkMe2525

The v64 update has been great. Passthrough looks better, I can use my phone a lot easier. I used to have to turn the brightness all the way down on my phone, but now I don’t.

It seems like the hand tracking is way better in lower than great lighting.

I’m bored with traditional gaming right now. I went from FF7 Rebirth, to Dragons Dogma 2, to Dead Island 2, to NHL 24. It’s all just same. Nothing new.

I think I'm gonna go Quest 3 heavy for a week or so, as a palette cleanser.
I have you friended on Quest, lets find a game we both own to mess around in. You can use my link tree to see which games I own for comparison. I haven't gotten the chance to play multiplayer in dungeons of eternity yet, if you have that.
www.linktr.ee/markgulfcoast

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I've been playing a ton on my Quest 3 since I got it about a month ago. It's been a ton of fun and very refreshing after getting burnt out a bit on flat gaming experiences.

Just finished Red Matter and I'm about an hour into Red Matter 2 now. Will probably tackle the Moss games next!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I have you friended on Quest, lets find a game we both own to mess around in. You can use my link tree to see which games I own for comparison. I haven't gotten the chance to play multiplayer in dungeons of eternity yet, if you have that.
www.linktr.ee/markgulfcoast
Haha, yeah maybe some time later this week or weekend.

I think I own 30 VR games and haven’t played the majority of them yet, lol. I like play one to death at a time.

I think tonight I’m going to play the fishing game. I feel like sitting back, having a beer and fishing.

MarkMe2525

Haha, yeah maybe some time later this week or weekend.

I think I own 30 VR games and haven’t played the majority of them yet, lol. I like play one to death at a time.

I think tonight I’m going to play the fishing game. I feel like sitting back, having a beer and fishing.
My favorite thing to do in the fishing game is to pull up a floating browser window and have some music or YouTube video playing. Really is great to relax to

Chiggs

It's like upgrading a smart phone 2 or 3 generations ahead. Resolution is a bit better, but not a huge difference imo. The biggest improvement are the pancake lenses hands down. It doesn't feel like a blurry mess anymore. The pass through is a good upgrade as well. Even though there isn't a lot of mixed reality content having a higher resolution pass through makes the headset more comfortable for longer sessions. You don't feel isolated using it since you can just tap on the headset and walk around your house.

The biggest con of the Quest 3 is mura. It shows up in bright environments and it's fugly. It's like a dirty screen effect that takes you out of the experience depending on the severity. Every freaking headset has different levels of mura. The QA is nonexistent or allows way too many flaws to get through. I went through 6 headsets with dead pixels before I found a good headset. Unfortunately that "good" headset was plagued with mura so I went through another exchange only to find more headsets with dead pixels. So I don't have a Quest 3 atm until Meta fixes their QA. That might never happen.

Some more cons would be them placing the aux on the other side of the headset, the hand tracking constantly telling you your environment is too dark in decent lighting, and the microphone sounded worse than the Quest 2.

Thanks for this post. I was ready to go spend some birthday money/gift cards on this, but there's no way in hell I'm playing the QA lottery game. It's just too much of a hassle.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Just got a Quest2 on the cheap, can anyone recommend any good games for the kids to play, i was thinking more take it out to the garden so we can make a massive play area plus is there anyway to share the screen with a mobile so we can all see what the player sees? is that even a thing? Bought this mainly to finally give Alyx a play seeing as there's no hope of it coming to PSVR2 and i wasn't about to dump £500 on a device for a single game, cheers

Minsc

Gold Member
Just got a Quest2 on the cheap, can anyone recommend any good games for the kids to play, i was thinking more take it out to the garden so we can make a massive play area plus is there anyway to share the screen with a mobile so we can all see what the player sees? is that even a thing? Bought this mainly to finally give Alyx a play seeing as there's no hope of it coming to PSVR2 and i wasn't about to dump £500 on a device for a single game, cheers

I have read countless people (search reddit) say using VR devices outdoors in direct sunlight destroys them. Just keep that in mind I guess.

But hasn't it been confirmed PSVR2 wil get Alyx? Sony said they're making it compatible with PCs, so it will get everything PCVR has if so.

As far as games for the kids, the normal stuff Beat Saber, etc seems to be the go to. Depends what they're in to mostly. More hardcore games like AC: Nexus or Asgard's Wrath 2, RE4, or lighter sports-like multiplayer stuff like Walkabout Mini Golf or Table Tennis etc. There's some popular FPS choices too, but I'm not super familiar, and you also can sideload games like Doom/Half-Life, etc.

MarkMe2525

Thanks for this post. I was ready to go spend some birthday money/gift cards on this, but there's no way in hell I'm playing the QA lottery game. It's just too much of a hassle.
Idk, I see that mindset described by the person who responded to you on Reddit. I have put on 3 Quest 3 headsets, including my own, and have concluded all three to be great. I then go onto Reddit and see people claiming they have been through 11 HEADSETS because of some perceived flaw. In the end, I don't think the flaw is with the headset, but the "nocebo effect" is working its magic on users who frequent the Quest subreddit.

MarkMe2525

I made you a list, and then remembered you said it is for kids. There is a bunch of free stuff that the kids will want to play like "Penguin Paradise", "Gorilla Tag", "Rec Room".

VR table tennis is extremely believable. This is the type of game that VR does very very well.

Even if you don't play in real life, the VR translation is so well done, that it is worth a look.
Bow and Arrow rouge like. That's it, but done well. I have poured hours into this one.

May not live up the graphical prowess of the PSVR2 port, but this port is the definitive way to play a non remake version of RE4

Another rouge like but with a very opressive and tense atmosphere. Great shooting mechanics and weapon feel. Unlimited content. Great game.

First person arena boxer? Sounds nuts, but great execution. This game will have your heart rate through the roof in a few rounds. Great workout with fun gameplay. Lame story.

This game was originally made for phone VR, but don't let that fool you, it has one of the best stories I've experienced in VR. Filled with many "wtf did I just experience" moments and worth anyone time.

Closest thing to a AAA VR experience on standalone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom