• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta is releasing the Quest OS to 3rd parties

MarkMe2525

Meta dropped this news a few hours ago. Meta is allowing other hardware manufacturers to take advantage of core technologies that power their VR hardware. No longer would a hardware vendor have to develope their own method for Inside Out Tracking (IOT), hand tracking, spatial relationship algorithms, etc.. Other VR makers can now skip these steps and pour their investments directly into designing the hardware that they think will allow them to get into the VR market. This can be huge, as it will allow for not only more hardware options, but more consistent targets for developers, on the software side at least.

Meta also leaves the door open for alternative store fronts. While a 3rd party VR manufacturer's headset will allow their potential customers to purchase and run applications from the Quest store, Meta has publicly stated, repeatedly, that they have no intention of locking out other methods of software delivery. In theory, a VR headset can come bundled with an itch.io storefront or a manufacturer ran storefront. I don't see many downsides, to the customer, that come from these developments.

If you currently own a quest, check out my link for 25%off discounts on a whole bunch of apps and games, including the Quest headset itself. My link is www.linktr.ee/markgulfcoast

Last edited:
Sorta like when Tesla auto released the charging design and now we have NACS as standard.
And the Qi charging unifying Apple and Android wireless charging.
Now if only Xbox would get rid of that SSD expansion card that went nowhere and is expensive.

Edit-Meta will be making an Xbox branded Quest 3.

Last edited:

Bry0

Awesome. I think this is very exciting. We sre about to have so many more hardware choices and competition for headsets, presumably they should be PC compatible like quest for wireless too!

panda-zebra

Every screen is an xbox, I just never imagined it'd mean the one inside a Meta Quest, lol. Even if it'd be no use to me, the prospect is at least kinda interesting in terms of fabled Game Pass markets beyond the typical xbox, pc and streaming to phones/tvs/computers.

Playing Game Pass games streamed directly to a virtual large screen TV inside a Quest seems a bit wacky... can't imagine there's tons of people queueing up for such an experience. But maybe there's a few out there who don't own a TV, live in a hovel yet are happy to vanish into the headset and pretend they're somewhere else entirely for $16.99 a month😂

MarkMe2525

Every screen is an xbox, I just never imagined it'd mean the one inside a Meta Quest, lol. Even if it'd be no use to me, the prospect is at least kinda interesting in terms of fabled Game Pass markets beyond the typical xbox, pc and streaming to phones/tvs/computers.

Playing Game Pass games streamed directly to a virtual large screen TV inside a Quest seems a bit wacky... can't imagine there's tons of people queueing up for such an experience. But maybe there's a few out there who don't own a TV, live in a hovel yet are happy to vanish into the headset and pretend they're somewhere else entirely for $16.99 a month😂
Streaming to a virtual screen is awesome in practice. Due to my families nomadic lifestyle (travel nursing), I often find myself in places with 1 cheap ass small TV. I am able to throw my headset on and game on a large display, while the kids watch some Bluey.

MarkMe2525

Honestly, good on Meta. Despite what people say about them, I think they have done the most for VR.
By far the most. It's tempting to imagine VR being in a better place if the Facebook acquisition never took place, but no man other than the Zuck, would be antisocial enough to dump billions of dollars into the tech, while consistently pricing the tech in a way to not quickly recoup that investment. He tells his shareholders to "F off" and that's the only reason we are where we are today.

Um...
I'm ignorant in this space, does valve allow other manufacturers to bundle SteamOS with their products, specifically proton?

Last edited:
Cool. I think that's the future - widely available OS with a mainline device (Meta Quest). Basically like Windows with Surface and OEMs.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I really hope this becomes a big thing and lots of manufacturers climb on board.

Oppoi

There wasn't much to scorch beforehand. They singlehandedly brought VR to the masses with the Quest.
Thank Suckerberg for the VR revolution we get to enjoy today. Disregard Valve and early Oculus and all the others who actually created the foundation that the cheap as can be quest takes for granted. Slow and steady it was, it became a race to the bottom thanks to Facebook.

MarkMe2525

Thank Suckerberg for the VR revolution we get to enjoy today. Disregard Valve and early Oculus and all the others who actually created the foundation that the cheap as can be quest takes for granted. Slow and steady it was, it became a race to the bottom thanks to Facebook.
I'm not going to defend against your strawman, as no one is disregarding early Oculus's and even Valves contribution. You are going to have to try harder.

If by "race to the bottom" you mean race to a product that more than 200,000 will buy, then yes, a company like Facebook would need to be involved. Only a company like Meta could afford to subsidize the R&D and manufacturing costs at the scale of a mainstream product. In your scenario, we would still be stuck with PC only VR supported by a handful of indie developers. What good is VR without software, and what good is it for a dev to create software if there isn't a base to purchase?

You just have to create a facebook account to use it ofcourse.
That's no longer accurate

Last edited:

Hot5pur

I think Meta kinda saved VR.
It was very clear that high quality games could not recoup their cost and big developers started getting out of the game.
People just didn't want to pay $1000 for wired headsets.
The quest being wireless is a game changer. Makes it way may accessible, and meta probably lost money on the hardware just to get people into the ecosystem.
Sure the games are not as pretty, but they still support PCVR, and developers are still capable of making great experiences.
VR is more about the feel of the game than production values, that's why you see even small teams have plenty of success on the platform making unique experiences.

For all the hate Zuck gets for how crappy Facebook is, what he did for VR is actually pretty huge and important. Meta is willing to chew through billions of dollars a year just to give VR for gaming a chance to blow up (and obviously they stand to benefit).

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Oh sorry, "Meta account" now.
Would you consider this problematic?

Yeah, but I mean that's the goal of this OS, right. To get Meta accounts signed up.
Sure, but as I stated earlier, they also allow purchases from other store fronts. A Meta OS user isn't limited to their storefront.

P.S. I realize there aren't many alternatives atm, but this could help change that.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Just like you have to create a Sony account or an Xbox account or Nintendo account, It aint a new thing.
>Sony
You don't
>Nintendo
You don't
>Xbox
Everyone has a Microsoft account which can be used to make Xbox. Even if that's still making an account, it's also the least popular of the 3 sooooo

Resenge

>Sony
You don't
>Nintendo
You don't
>Xbox
Everyone has a Microsoft account which can be used to make Xbox. Even if that's still making an account, it's also the least popular of the 3 sooooo
Have you tried to play a PS5 without a Playstation account? or an Xbox without an Xbox account?

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Three

Would you consider this problematic?

Sure, but as I stated earlier, they also allow purchases from other store fronts. A Meta OS user isn't limited to their storefront.
Fair enough, I'm not saying it limits stores. It's like the Google and android of the VR space. It's for Meta accounts, to get them into the ecosystem they push with this OS. Most would likely use the same store too.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Fair enough, I'm not saying it limits stores. It's like the Google and android of the VR space. It's for Meta accounts, to get them into the ecosystem they push with this OS. Most would likely use the same store too.
I got you. To someone who has hesitation about giving Meta personal info, I would suggest making an account with bogus info. Nothing stopping from someone using a throwaway email and Meta gift cards, if anonymity is a concern.

Edit: 64bitmodels 64bitmodels I see that my comment also ties into what you were saying above. All purely digital storefronts require info to establish license entitlement. This is true for any digital purchase, so this is not an issue unique to Meta OS.

Last edited:

Oppoi

It was very clear that high quality games could not recoup their cost and big developers started getting out of the game.
The quest being wireless is a game changer. Makes it way may accessible, and meta probably lost money on the hardware just to get people into the ecosystem.
Sure the games are not as pretty, but they still support PCVR, and developers are still capable of making great experiences.
VR is more about the feel of the game than production values, that's why you see even small teams have plenty of success on the platform making unique experiences.

For all the hate Zuck gets for how crappy Facebook is, what he did for VR is actually pretty huge and important. Meta is willing to chew through billions of dollars a year just to give VR for gaming a chance to blow up (and obviously they stand to benefit).
Meta chews through to stay on top, to remain in control. The metaverse is not a joke to Meta. It's all about control.

Resenge

No. That being said I'm sure you can just skip the account creation and just use the console as if it were a ps1/ps2. Disc games only
Nope, you cannot.

Now Im second guessing myself. Gonna check.

[Edit]
Damn you are right.

Still, its a shitty experience without an account, no updates, digital purchases or online play, not to mention the Digital PS5 will not be able to play disks so that does need an account, same for Series S I would assume.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Meta chews through to stay on top, to remain in control. The metaverse is not a joke to Meta. It's all about control.
Ok man, I'm going to go play some VR. Have fun abstaining because HTC (replace with any other previous VR company) couldn't make a good enough product and platform.

DaGwaphics

I think that is more a symptom of lacking content than anything else. The more immersive the experience, and a big part of that is graphic detail, the better VR would sell. If affordable VR equipment was suddenly available that could transport users into interactive, photo-realistic environments the market for VR would explode.

Three

I got you. To someone who has hesitation about giving Meta personal info, I would suggest making an account with bogus info. Nothing stopping from someone using a throwaway email and Meta gift cards, if anonymity is a concern.
I did this with a meta account once and it was as if it knew I created a bogus account and it didn't work anymore afterwards. Even said something about a genuine account. Not sure how it knew but I didn't really retry after that. Wasn't going to give Meta my real data.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I did this with a meta account once and it was as if it knew I created a bogus account and it didn't work anymore afterwards. Even said something about a genuine account. Not sure how it knew but I didn't really retry after that. Wasn't going to give Meta my real data.
I made a bogus one for my daughter so idk.
Edit: do you think the email was previously used with a Meta/facebook product?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Nope, you cannot.

Now Im second guessing myself. Gonna check.

[Edit]
Damn you are right.

Still, its a shitty experience without an account, no updates, digital purchases or online play, not to mention the Digital PS5 will not be able to play disks so that does need an account, same for Series S I would assume.
On PS4 you don’t need An account and I could swear it was same for PS5. Also Switch doesn’t need one either.

Issue with Meta is what it does with the data. I trust them only slightly more than TikTok.

Damage Zuckerberg did to humanity with goddamn Facebook and kicking off a social media shit show is ridiculous. Fuck Meta and anything tied to them.

Resenge

On PS4 you don’t need An account and I could swear it was same for PS5. Also Switch doesn’t need one either.

Issue with Meta is what it does with the data. I trust them only slightly more than TikTok.

Damage Zuckerberg did to humanity with goddamn Facebook and kicking off a social media shit show is ridiculous. Fuck Meta and anything tied to them.
Yea, it seems I can skip creating an account but games wont install, they just give me a paused instalation message.

Nvm, Final fantasy rebirth wont install but GOW ragnarok will.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I'm not trying to start a debate, as there is no clear answer, but I blame humanity itself for what happened with Facebook. Facebook was just used as a tool, by many, as a means to an end. If their was a larger social media platform at the time, then that would have been used.

100% what I'm expecting Microsoft to do with the next Xbox.

They'll have their version, OEMs will have theirs, they'll all be based on core technologies/blueprint design specs made between MS & AMD (or maybe Intel, or Nvidia IDFK). Scalable components within a certain limit; MS will prob handle chip orders & PCB semi-assembly on their end alongside Windows & Xbox UI/emulator licenses to entice OEMs.

I'm just maybe a bit surprised Meta are doing it first but IIRC, they were losing a ton of money subsidizing Quest headsets so this makes sense for them.

Also how ironic would it be that this is what gets MS to make an Xbox VR headset but still not have it compatible with their Series or XBO consoles? 🤣 Well I guess that might be a moot point if they just use the Quest core technologies in a variant of whatever spec their next-gen Xbox hardware uses. Probably with some discounted Game Pass sub baked into the price to give more headroom for profit margins off the headset directly.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I'm not trying to start a debate, as there is no clear answer, but I blame humanity itself for what happened with Facebook. Facebook was just used as a tool, by many, as a means to an end. If their was a larger social media platform at the time, then that would have been used.
Facebook specifically ignored huge signs, and created their algorithms to amplify the enshitification of the internet.

Where it’s related is that its the same shit company that’s still song the same crap it has been doing since inception. Renaming it to Meta does jack shit.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I know this is off topic, but why don't we see other handhelds use it? Proton is what allows the .exe emulation, correct?
Ayaneo Next also uses SteamOS. The rest uses Windows. Yes, Proton is what "runs" the .exe.

Last edited:

Resenge

No. That being said I'm sure you can just skip the account creation and just use the console as if it were a ps1/ps2. Disc games only

Huh, that’s interesting. Were you signed in before? Wonder what the experience would be on a fresh console.
I'm an idiot, I tried to install Rebirth with the play disk. :messenger_grimmacing_

So you can play disks without an account on a disk machine, but I assume not with the digital versions of both the PS5 or the series S. The Quests are also digital consoles so my point still stands.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Facebook specifically ignored huge signs, and created their algorithms to amplify the enshitification of the internet.

Where it’s related is that its the same shit company that’s still song the same crap it has been doing since inception. Renaming it to Meta does jack shit.
From my perspective, which is greatly uninformed on the matter, it seemed that every step Facebook took to mitigate this was met with huge backlash. Seemed like an impossible situation. Again, just my perspective.

Top Bottom