• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syndicate |OT|

frontieruk

banner.png

info.png

/ Title | Syndicate
/ Genre | First Person Shooter
/ Developer | Starbreeze
/ Publisher | Electronic Arts

/ Release date | North America 21st Feb | Europe 24th Feb
/ Ratings | PEGI: 18+ | ESRB: M (Mature) |

editions.png

/ Platforms

PC.jpg
|
ps3.jpg
|
360.jpg

/ Pre-Order Bonuses
Gamers that reserve Syndicate will receive 'The Executive Package' at no extra
charge, which includes unique perks for the game’s 4-player co-op campaign.

The items included are :
  • Solid gold versions of all load out guns in co-op
  • Golden Dart chip and vision
  • Executive gold Syndicate logos

PC gamers can get a free copy of Mirrors Edge if preordering Syndicate from Gamefly UK

console versions only.
Pre-order Syndicate and receive the Executive Package as well as a $20 promotional credit toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com.

/ PC Requirements
Origin required to Activate / Download Syndicate from D2D services
30 fps at 1024 x 768 on

• Intel Core2 Duo (E4600) at 2.4Ghz or equivalent (Athlon 64 x 2) processor
  • ATI 4650 or Nvidia GeForce 8800GT (min. 512mb RAM) or better
  • Windows
  • XP SP3 with 2Gb RAM​
  • Vista with 3Gb RAM​
  • 7 with 2Gb RAM​
  • Hard drive with 10.5Gb free space
  • DirectX compatible sound card, and microphone for VoIP
  • DirectX 9.0c compatible - SHADER 3.0 compliant

/ FAQ
Frequently asked questions for those wanting to skim :

/ Wha' this is out so soon?
Yup. ;-)

/ How long is the Single player campaign?
According to the webchat video longer than the average current shooter... Lead designer says he can complete MW3 is 6 hours, also says he thinks he'll get in trouble for saying that.

/ How long is the co-op campaign?
Around 10-15 hrs for an average gamer according to the webchat, though 40hours is touted as the length if you want to reach level cap and research every upgrade.

/ Origin mandatory for PC?
Though already under PC requirements I'll repost this here Origin required to Activate / Download Syndicate from D2D services.

/ Does my progress in the demo carry over?
Nope, anything you unlock in the demo will stay saved until February 21st, but will be erased when the full game launches.

/ DLC?
@syndicate said:
@frontieruk Right now we're focused on creating a high quality experience for the players, and do not have any news about DLC at this time.

/ Will there be a split-screen option for coop?
There won't be. Starbreeze wanted to create it with the best graphics that they could, and with it, they wouldn't be able to achieve that. https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/Syndicate/status/170297242727628801

about.png

/ Story
A re-envisioned reboot of 1993 original, set in 2069 Governments have failed and Mega-Corporations simply known as
Syndicates have taken over and split the world up into regions, offering citizens in their regions Banking, education, entertainment, housing, insurance, jobs and
medical care, a complete lifestyle in exchange for being "CHIP'D" a neural implant which interacts with the digital world allowing citizens' access to data and
control their technology in a blink of an eye. By citizens having the chip installed the Syndicates gained a level of insight into their citizens' lives and even a
level of control over individuals' behaviour never seen before.

In a digital world information is king, with citizens handing over all their information for the benefits that being CHIP'D offers business has become war and
nothing will stop them from total market dominance.

Playing as Miles Kilo, you become Eurocorps latest prototype Agent a Syndicates bio-engineered and chip-augmented enforcer, you stand on the front line of this war,
the weaponised version of Eurocorps DART 6 chip allows you to breach any digital device including rival Syndicates' Agents, weapons even the environment around you, making
you one of the most deadly weapons in the world, will you lead your Syndicate to global domination?

In a live web chat Senior Level Designer, Andreas Gshwari stated that game length is not an average modern shooter with only a 4-5 hour campaign.

/ Co-op
This nine level co-op campaign is a nod to the original, with a four man squad infiltrating and capturing rival Syndicates secrets, some familiar weapons make an appearance
as well as the level Atlantic Accelerator which the Co-op design team took the original map and recreated it for the new game.

The co-op is three campaigns each split into three chapters, the first chapter of each campaign available immediately, once the first chapter is completed the next opens and the extra difficulty level becomes available, you can also join and play chapters others have opened chapters but you haven't

/ Cayman Global Campaign
1. Western Europe
2. Mozambique
3. Atlantic Accelerator

/ Aspari Campaign
1. Colorado
2. China
3 Scandinavia

/ Eurocorp Campaign
1. Northern Territories
2. Argentina
3. New England

/ Co-op Application Research
Thanks to Faulty_Fork for the list + complete guide to upgrades to each breach

/ Backfire
Damages the targeted enemy and knocks him back.

/ Damage Link
Gives a temporary damage buff to all team members weapons.

/ Shielding
Gives all team members a temporary shield which blocks some damage.

/ Squad Heal
Heals the whole team when triggered. Unlocked by finishing the Western Europe mission.

/ Focus Breach
All breaching will go faster for the next 5 seconds. Unlocked by finishing the China mission.

/ EMP
Fires off an EMP-pulse which de-cloaks Spectres, detonates backpacks and stuns enemies. The pulse can also temporarily shutdown turrets and disable grenades and rockets. Unlocked by finishing the Mozambique mission.

/ Virus
The enemy that is hit by the virus takes damage over time, works through armor. Unlocked by finishing the Scandinavia mission.

/ C2C Pulse
Sets up a healing field around the player, which heals all nearby team members.Each pulse also shortens the reboot time for downed team members which are in range. Unlocked by finishing the Atlantic Accelerator mission.

/ E-drain
Does direct damage to one enemy and you receive 50 % of the damage as health. Unlocked by finishing the Colorado mission.

/ Reboot
Reboots yourself at 50 % health after you've been downed. Unlocked by finishing the New England mission.

/ Battery
Recharges all the apps for all team members by 50 %. Unlocked by finishing the Northern Territories mission.

/ Focus Target
Highlights an enemy outside of DART-vision that will be visible to all team members. All breaches on the highlighted enemy are 10 % faster. Unlocked by finishing the Argentina mission.

media.png

/ Dev Diaries

Jeff Gamon : Executive Producer Part 1 | Part 2
John Miles : Art Director
Ben O'Donnell : Producer
Roger Mattsson : Programmer / Game Designer
Viljar Sommerbakk : Lead Combat Designer
Neil McEwan : Creative Director
Andreas Gschwari : Senior Level Designer
Richard Morgan :

/ Interviews
Lead Writer
Interview with the design team.

/ Videos

Check out the official launch trailer for Syndicate! Gives away the plot a fair bit... Don't say you weren't warned.

The Syndicate announcement trailer.

The origins of Syndicate, where business is war and you are the weapon. See how the original Syndicate has been reimagined into a brutal first person shooter of corruption and revenge.

Syndicate requires you to adapt quickly too many new gameplay features. This video gives an overview of the new gameplay mechanics, plus some useful hints and tips for Co-op play.

Check out the future weapons & gear of Syndicate.

Replay of the webchat with Andreas Gschwari who talks about game design choices.

An 11 minute walk through of the single player campaign level Executive Search. Possible spoilers.

IGN's quick preview of the single player campaign in Syndicate

First ten minutes of the single player, intro is in English but gameplay is in German. Possible spoilers

/ Screenshots

/ Music
Several top DJ's were asked to remix the original Syndicate music by EA, these included Skrillex, Digitalism, Nero and Flux Pavilion, if you "Like" the Syndicate Facebook page a remix from a few of the DJ's are available for download in the Syndicate DJ Download section

preview.png

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/feb/16/synicate-games-review

achievement.png

/ 50 Achievements to be earned

Xbox 360

syndicate.png

/ Don't fancy playing with the unwashed masses? Couldn't persuade your mates to buy Syndicate no matter how hard you begged? Play with fellow GAF'ers by listing your 'Tags and platform you're playing on here.

/ Xbox 360

/CEO GAFindustries Frontieruk
Board member drifter444
Board member jtrov
Board member tomakasatnav
Sigtheman
Miri
Flunkie44
digimoeez
Dr Eggman
Apharmd Battler
MR SCHULTZ
Mr Rookie Jnr
drunken triggaz
Mrninjaman
The Visualizer

/ PS3
/ GAF SEN CEO Dave1988
AgentOtaku
DEEJAY8595
Ozzybx
Noisepurge
DUFFMCWALIN  
reson8er
Diseasedyak
Raul_Atreides
philcabinet

/ PC
/CEO GAFinc Frontieruk (yup Im double dipping and representing for PC)
/Boardmember NIN90
kamisamamizu
keltickennedy
Turn-A
Messofanego
AppleMIXX
GoldSoundzzz
TheUsual_GAF

acknowledge.png

/ Faulty_Fork for the Demo goes live thread and various news pieces.
/ AgentOtaku for the Voice cast thread and various news pieces.
/ Saty No On-line pass and difficulty news.
/ Blimblim for the usual Gamersyde Video treatment.
/ SkoomaSuckinSwit for the Dev webchat video replay.
/ Mechazawa for the Origin is required to "download and install" Syndicate.

reviews.png

http://www.giantbomb.com/syndicate/61-30734/reviews/ 5/5
http://www.gamersnet.nl/reviews/syndicate/ 8.5/10
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-syndicate/727013 8.2
http://www.gamepro.de/playstation/spiele/ps3/syndicate/wertung/47289.html 78/100
http://www.strategyinformer.com/xbox360/syndicate2012/reviews.html 7.5/10
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1219077p1.html 7.5/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-21-syndicate-review_4 7
http://www.destructoid.com/review-syndicate-222216.phtml 6.5
http://www.gamekult.com/jeux/test-syndicate-SU00004980t.html?pf=xbox-360-160031 4/10
http://www.1up.com/reviews/syndicate-pc-ps3-xbox360 C+

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/24/syndicate-review-pc/ :/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/24/what-i-think-syndicate-co-op/ :)

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/21/2813673/syndicate-review
Gamespy Review in progress...
http://kotaku.com/5884812/syndicate-the-kotaku-review

iavi

My pre-order is in. Xbox 360, and I can't wait. I've been playing the hell out of that demo.

GT: Sigtheman

Story please be good.

Flunkie

Banned
Nice OT. First game I've preordered in awhile, or even bought at or before launch for that matter. Hope if doesn't bite me in the ass. Probably will.

Oh well, Skrillex!

Getting the 360 version, as the framerate was somewhat more palpable there. GT: Flunkie44

Yen

From the very little I've seen of it, it looks good. Will have to wait for Keyser Soze to find a sub £17 price though!

Dennis

Banned
Da fack, this is coming out now?

Hadn't been paying enough attention, I guess.

1) Origin mandatory?

2) Anybody play this thing?

pre-ordered the PS3 version, lets get those Coop missions done! SEN handle same as nick.

Suggestion for OT title, "Syndicate |OT| Soft Assets re-acquiring the American Revolt"

iavi

Original Syndicate had very little story. It was always more about atmosphere.

This interview with Morgan instills some faith:

Q:Games are often criticised for their rather lacklustre characterisation and stories. Do you think more novel writers or screenwriters should get involved in the games industry?

A: Well, I think more talented writers should get involved in the industry, yes, of course. But that doesn’t pre-suppose that those writers have to be novelists or screenwriters. There are some truly excellent game writers out there - Amy Hennig, Dan Houser, Sami Jarvi (Sam Lake), Ken Levine, Richard Rouse III, and that’s just off the top of my head.

None of those guys were hired out of another form of writing, they’ve all made their names within the industry. That said, there is indeed a huge amount of very poor story-telling in games, and I think this derives from the fact that story is always going to be - and rightly so - a support structure for the gaming experience, rather than the core of that experience.

It takes a certain kind of talent to understand that fact but still give a damn about the story for its own sake. It’s a balancing act. And those guys I just mentioned are all so successful because they can walk the beam and keep the balance. But maybe this is also why there’s been a recent leaning towards hiring outside writers - specifically because guys like me come in with the respect for story pre-installed. It’s our primary function after all. And I suppose the assumption is that we can then acquire the humility that’s required to balance the load - which, I have to say, is also something of a specific talent in itself!

---

It was about atmosphere and gameplay. Now that they changed the gameplay to what appears to be a corridor shooter, story gets more important. If the story is really good, I´m in. :)

Also, in the design live-stream up there, Gshwari says that EA didn't want just another corridor shooter out of the IP, and approached them because of their established strengths--atmosphere, story, etc...etc.. I really hope it all delivers.

I just tried the demo with a couple of friends a few hours ago and I thought it was great. That being said, I don't really need to buy any games right now so I'm gonna wait for a price drop

Also, nice job on the OT!

iavi

It's disappointing to hear that the agent vs agent multiplay was cut because of time. The syndicate mechanic (clans, basically) and the facebook like wall would have made for an awesome time-sink.

Blunt

Banned
Such a bummer that this game got RCed in Australia, at least importing is an option.

With it being $60 on Amazon AND having a $20 credit offer attached as well as the Australian dollar doing so well against the USD, buying locally wasn't even a consideration even if it hadn't been RC'd.

At a $110 local price I wouldn't have even bothered but at 40 bucks I'll take a blind punt on the 360 version.

frontieruk

any word on how long the campaign is?
Lead designer can do it in 6 hours according to the webchat video.

I just tried the demo with a couple of friends a few hours ago and I thought it was great. That being said, I don't really need to buy any games right now so I'm gonna wait for a price drop

Also, nice job on the OT!
Thank-you! I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat, (I've got 30 games on steam I've never installed :-O ) but the demo sold me so I'll be there day one and will probably be there when it price drops too.

The middle screenshot in the second-to-last row has a sort of Mirror's Edge style-vibe to it.Also, nice OT.
Thanks :D, I chose that shot as it reminded me of Mirrors Edge and showed a different location style compared to what else has been shown.

i smell DLC! :D
I had that same fragrance waft over me too... I've asked the question of support no reply as yet though, but I'm expecting something along the lines of No DLC has been announced yet which I'll take as confirmation lol

glaurung

Pretty nice OT, but is someone really going to play this thing? For real? I mean, how starved for a mediocre FPS do you have to be to play this shovelshooter?

x-Lundz-x

Very nice OT!

I'm cautiously looking forward to this game, mainly for the coop with my buddies. The demo was good so it turned it into a purchase.

soultron

Banned
Holy shit did this game ever sneak up outta nowhere. I still haven't even played the demo yet! Gotta get on that.

Although it never really bothers me either way since I mostly buy new, it's still nice to see that the online pass isn't in there.

Pretty nice OT, but is someone really going to play this thing? For real? I mean, how starved for a mediocre FPS do you have to be to play this shovelshooter?

:lol Did you come in here just to shit on this game? Have you played the demo? This looks like a pretty interesting game, IMO.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Judging by the MW3 sales...

People are starved.

frontieruk

i smell DLC! :D

I know I quoted you already but Just got this back from the Syndicate Twitter account

@syndicate said:
@frontieruk Right now we're focused on creating a high quality experience for the players, and do not have any news about DLC at this time.
tweet.png

https://twitter.com/#!/Syndicate/statuses/169413108262117377

Very nice OT!

I'm cautiously looking forward to this game, mainly for the coop with my buddies. The demo was good so it turned it into a purchase.
Cheers, I'll quite happily play this with randoms, everyone quickly got the ideas in the demo so I can see the full co-op situation being the same, it's a nice twist on the usual FPS formula, nothing really new but feels just fresh enough to play.

faridmon

The hell? is the game coming out this fast? wasn't the announcement like yesterday?
I am not complaining and its good to see games coming out this fast. However, I am mildly surpriseed.

Awesome, I was really looking forward to this.

Love me some more sci-fi FPS. The gameplay looks really intense and in your face. Love that.

The hell? is the game coming out this fast? wasn't the announcement like yesterday?
I am not complaining and its good to see games coming out this fast. However, I am mildly surpriseed.

They said like 6 months ago it's coming out in February...

Time flies :p
Except for ME3. Damn it HURRY YOUR ASS UP!!!

glaurung

Judging by the MW3 sales...

People are starved.
I suppose they might be, the general attention span has become shorter and shorter even in lieu of video games.

Having spent some time with the game, I am cautious regarding the hype. NDA and embargoes otherwise.

frontieruk

I'm looking forward to some impressions on this one. It looks like it could be a fun game to pick up for $30 or so a few months from now.

you can get some impressions of the co-op from Faulty_Forks demo thread if you've not tried it, single player, you've got a bit longer to wait, Im keeping an eye out for any previews etc on game sites and will add to the OT.

legbone

i'm getting this because it seems like a pretty cool concept for a sci-fi shooter. i like the art design very much and the soundtrack is pretty dope. not to mention the guns in the demo sound like sex. but anyway, i had a blast with the demo and the first 10 minutes of the single player campaign put my fears about it to rest(was worried it was just the demo with bots). and i have been starving for a decent sci-fi game since deus ex. so i'm in, preordered and ready.

edit: to the poster above me---there is a link to a video of the first ten minutes of the single player campaign in the demo thread. at least i think that is where it is.

Hells to the yes! Co-op demo sold me, showed Starbreeze have improved tons in the shooting department (gibs!). Also, first 10 minutes looks solid, full of atmosphere and cyberpunk goodness.

Xbox: digimoeez

you can get some impressions of the co-op from Faulty_Forks demo thread if you've not tried it, single player, you've got a bit longer to wait, Im keeping an eye out for any previews etc on game sites and will add to the OT.
Thanks. I tried the co-op demo briefly and it seemed interesting but if I pick this game up it will likely be for the single player. I love a good shooter campaign.

Nice OT. Everything I've read about the game sounds great. The devs have said that to fully upgrade and unlock everything would take a lot of time, like 40+ hours, so the campaign is probably pretty meaty and lengthy for a shooter. The co-op impressions also make it sound like you really need good teamwork to progress in the game on hard difficulty, it's not just running through the levels gogogo-style, you gotta be careful and use teamwork. That sounds like a dream co-op game for me.

Top Bottom