• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have never played MGS3:Snake Eater , but want to.Which version is best?

So I have heard a ton of good things about Metal gear Solid 3.I loved the first one and the second one, but never got around to the third one.

Now I think its time to give it a try, I have a PS3 and 3DS, I see its just been released in the HD collection on PS3 and its about to come out on 3DS.Which version is best?I am not too phased about the other games on the HD collection by the way, I am going purely for MGS3.

Thoraxes

If it's just between those two systems, i'd say get the PS3 HD colleciton. The 3DS one will be ok, but I think the experience is just way better on a nice large TV.

Depends on what you want from it. Do you want it in HD with a framerate of 60 FPS, or do you want it on a handheld with a few extra features (crouch-walking, photo camo, stereoscopic 3D) unique to the platform?

Personally, I'd take the 3DS version, but it's really a matter of personal taste.

I thought the 3DS demo controlled a little weird (I do not own a Circle Pad Pro so the buttons for the camera was odd), but it's great on the HD collection and it comes with Metal Gear 1 and 2.

Are MG1 and 2 on the 3DS version?

Depends on what you want from it. Do you want it in HD with a framerate of 60 FPS, or do you want it on a handheld with a few extra features (crouch-walking, photo camo, stereoscopic 3D) unique to the platform?

Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of the 3D effect on the 3DS, if the 3D is done really well I would take that over 60FPS.And then I can play on the go so that's another big pull factor.

PS2/PS3 version - The pressure sensitive buttons make a huge difference!

Hint. ^^

Thoraxes

No one is! Frankly at this point the 3DS one is for pre-existing humongous fans of Snake Eater who replay it every year anyway.

That's me! :D
Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of the 3D effect on the 3DS, if the 3D is done really well I would take that over 60FPS.And then I can play on the go so that's another big pull factor.

I don't really consider the CPP to be the most friendly thing as far as the portability goes, and if you can stand the PW controls or have enough room in your bag for the CPP, it should be great. They seem to have gone out of their way to make the depth work nicely in the 3DS version though, from what i've seen and read.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is the 3DS version poorly done? Is the 3D effect even used well?
It's used OK, but the issue is that it runs poorly, has very poor image quality, and doesn't control well unless you buy the circle pad pro. The HD version is just a much better way to experience it.

Again, the game runs like shit. Would you really accept a very poor framerate in 3D over a very smooth framerate? More importantly, the controls in the HD collection benefit from the pressure sensitive buttons as that's how it was designed.

So is the 3DS version just bad all round? Does it do anything close to the sort of 3D effect you get with mario 3D, or am I being super hopeful?

Pretty simple question; the MGS3 port on the HD Collection is superb. Considering you can get that (along with MGS2 and Peacewalker) for the same price as the 3DS version, there's not much of a debate if you have a PS3.

Frost_Ace

I'm a pro handheld gamer but MGS3 is one of the few games that NEED to be played on a huge tv: hd collection is the only true answer.

I'm really jealous of you OP. I wish I could play MGS3 again for the first time.

HD Collection, PS3 version for pressure sensitive buttons.

hatchx

Banned
I'd go back in time and smack your former self for not playing the masterpiece years ago.

.....HD collection no doubt. Big screen, full controls, sharper graphics.

But if you want to beat it on your travels, I'd say the 3DS. It's basically just a handheld port, and the 3D effect is quite neat.

Sporran

ha just doing my first play through of MGS3 via the HD Collection and have to say, its awesome. Just how i remember it.

Defo recommend ps3 version purely for the big screen surround sound experience. The music is epic in this game.

Ridley327

Hint. ^^

They redid the entire control setup on the 3DS to take advantage of the MGS4/PW mechanics, so there's really no reason to bring this up.

dark10x

So is the 3DS version just bad all round? Does it do anything close to the sort of 3D effect you get with mario 3D, or am I being super hopeful?
You really seem most interested in that version.

There really is no reason. It's worse all around and costs the same as three MGS games in one package. It's a no brainer.

They redid the entire control setup on the 3DS to take advantage of the MGS4/PW mechanics, so there's really no reason to bring this up.

You honestly can't say the controls are even comparable in terms of ease of use. Sure PW controls weren't bad but they weren't good either. Sure, it may seem fantastic, but that's only because in comparison everything else on the device handles like ass.

vocab

HD collection.

PS2 version crawls to the fucking ground in some places, and you need decent CRT to even play it properly in those dark ass sections.

The demo is out, though.

The 3DS version looks,plays and sounds inferior to ALL other versions of the game.

Wrong. One GAFer owns it and he says it's better than the PS2 version if nothing else. Whether you prefer framerate + HD or better shaders/effects, some improved models, crouch walking, photo camo, 3D, etc. is up to the individual.

You really seem most interested in that version.

There really is no reason. It's worse all around and costs the same as three MGS games in one package. It's a no brainer.

The 3D appeal is pretty big for me if done right, I get so impressed in games done well in 3D and I cant stop playing them.Its like crack for my brain or someting, but I dont want to ruin a master piece like this just for a gimmicky 3D effect and poor frame rate.But If the 3D is done really well, this could be a coin flip.

dark10x

Wrong. One GAFer owns it and he says it's better than the PS2 version if nothing else. Whether you prefer framerate + HD or better shaders/effects, some improved models, crouch walking, photo camo, 3D, etc. is up to the individual.
It sure doesn't look better than the PS2 version to me. Playing the original on a good CRT beats out the choppy, pixelated 3DS version.

The 3D appeal is pretty big for me if done right, I get so impressed in games done well in 3D and I cant stop playing them.Its like crack for my brain or someting, but I dont want to ruin a master piece like this just for a gimmicky 3D effect and poor frame rate.But If the 3D is done really well, this could be a coin flip.
You should pick up a Sony HMZ-T1. Absolutely smokes the hell out of any 3D you've ever seen. I can hardly enjoy the 3D aspect of 3DS as a result of that, honestly.

Top Bottom