• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake vs Original Early Graphics Comparison | METAL GEAR SOLID Δ: SNAKE EATER

For anyone that doesn't get a boner over graphical fidelity, this is probably the most pointless Remake ever announced.

From a gameplay, plot, writing, direction perspective, (Edit: Visually as well), there's nothing about the original MGS 3 that needs to be Remade.

If you want the ultimate version of MGS 3, play MGS 3... Through Emulation or officially (Don't know where it is available).

Unless you go the Final Fantasy 7 Remake direction, which I very much doubt they will do...

Anyway, sorry. I just really don't see the point. Silent Hill 2 too, funnily enough. Konami has a talent for wanting to Remake games that don't need one.
It looks shiny, that's all I can say...

Last edited:

Brigandier

For anyone that doesn't get a boner over graphical fidelity, this is probably the most pointless Remake ever announced.

From a gameplay, plot, writing, direction perspective, (Edit: Visually as well), there's nothing about the original MGS 3 that needs to be Remade.

If you want the ultimate version of MGS 3, play MGS 3... Through Emulation or officially (Don't know where it is available).

Unless you go the Final Fantasy 7 Remake direction, which I very much doubt they will do...

Anyway, sorry. I just really don't see the point. Silent Hill 2 too, funnily enough. Konami has a talent for wanting to Remake games that don't need one.

I'll play this remake with a rock hard boner over the graphics and I'll spend my money on what I want.

Thanks for telling people what they should do but I'll pass on emulation of a 20 year old game and play it in nice graphics instead, Stop being a narcissist.

Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

Last edited:

completely agree. except with the 'pointless' part. for us, yeah. but not for konami. guaranteed profit...

Phase

I wish when people remade games that they keep the same feel of the visuals, just fidelity and more detail, because by changing the coloring you change how it affects you emotionally too. IMO that needs to stay the same to have the same effect.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

The good news is if you don't want it you don't have to buy it

Last edited:

Arachnid

Everything being 1:1 is such a buzzkill. You had the chance to improve on environmental and level design, yet you chose to straight up copy a PS2 era game. Thank god Capcom take the same approach with Resident Evil 2 and 4.

Ozriel

M$FT

As long as the original can’t be played on current gen consoles, it’s hard to call this ‘pointless’. We’ve seen worse.
Most users aren’t going to fiddle around with emulation.

MujkicHaris

Original looks better and mystical. PBR workflow is ruining texture diversity in video games. Everything looks the same because it's too standardized and templated.

Konami is probably going to go nuts with hiring devs to do their games in UE5. It’s already started. Next i bet is a UE5 Castlevania

Everything being 1:1 is such a buzzkill. You had the chance to improve on environmental and level design, yet you chose to straight up copy a PS2 era game. Thank god Capcom take the same approach with Resident Evil 2 and 4.
Changing or not changing, there's simply no winning for devs when it comes to remakes. There will always be a small minority who finds problems with each one.

I just hope that these devs do whatever they do in the best possible way they can do it. Personally I'm not pleased that they have already removed the original game's color grading, but we will see how things look when they show more.

Agree about MGS3 but not Silent Hill 2. SH2 needs it because they botched the x360 remaster badly. MGS3 remaster is solid ..

But another thing..while SH2 remake looks visually interesting this MGS3 remake looks ..generic ..Fidelity is great but gone is the art direction that made mgs3 interesting. Like, why doesn't it have a green tint like the original for starters?

Naked Lunch

This remake looks absolutely terrible.
Gamers supporting complete junk like this is why the industry is dying.
Demand better.

The original didn't need re-made - at all - especially not with this kind of effort.

Changing or not changing, there's simply no winning for devs when it comes to remakes. There will always be a small minority who finds problems with each one.

I just hope that these devs do whatever they do in the best possible way they can do it. Personally I'm not pleased that they have already removed the original game's color grading, but we will see how things look when they show more.

See not having the color grading is what he was referring to. It's "remake 101" to not change the tone of the originals. Color tone is a big part of that. That's a big red flag for me and now the game seems Cold and generic.

See not having the color grading is what he was referring to. It's "remake 101" to not change the tone of the originals. Color tone is a big part of that. That's a big red flag for me and now the game seems Cold and generic.
It wasn't though? This is literally what he said:
Everything being 1:1 is such a buzzkill. You had the chance to improve on environmental and level design, yet you chose to straight up copy a PS2 era game.
And he even points out that he wanted larger changes like what Capcom gave us:
Thank god Capcom take the same approach with Resident Evil 2 and 4.

That's why I was the one who brought up the color grading to hint that this might not fully be 1:1.

Power Pro

Yeah, as someone who has loved Metal Gear for decades, this entire project just sounds like...it's not worth the time. Just hearing the voice acting is going to be reused, I can tell it's going to look off because some of that original VA is not going to match newer character models very well. It's a coat of paint on an old wall that needs to be patched up. It's going to look rough, and awkward. Like others have said, it's going to look like a fan project. These games deserve the full remake treatment, but since we're stuck with Konami owning the IP, it's going to be wasted.

Principal

I wish when people remade games that they keep the same feel of the visuals, just fidelity and more detail, because by changing the coloring you change how it affects you emotionally too. IMO that needs to stay the same to have the same effect.
It's almost like even if you are a master painter you can't repaint Mona Lisa, you'd be able to tell that something was off. They should stop with Remakes and actually make companion pieces. Imagine MGS Delta was FROM OCELOTS PERSPECTIVE!!!!!

Principal

Nah Re2 and 4 are basically you copying ya boi's homework and making it look cooler, they lack soul. 4 is a bit better than 2 ngl, but the new Leon SUCKS! All media is based off OG Re4 so this new Leon is weird, the only part of his soul that remains is "Where's everyone going? Bingo." Like, I get it, he is based on Dante but someone, it would be like RE5 remake and Chris isn't this militant hunk guy but some PTSD-riddled mopey guy but he keeps his iconic line. "More and more I wonder if it's all worth it" But Chris is all hung-ho and doesn't care about Jill being dead. Dunno, I like Leon but < Chris is so much better, anyway back to what I wanted to talk about. We can't go back and change the philiosphy without the main creator because the lead creator is IMPORTANT to the task, he/she was chosen because the team believes in their mission. Trust, even if you was given infinite money you'd never be able to recreate MGs 3 or Re2 or 4 to a T. It's better to give us a different angle, like RE5 but entirely from Joshua or Jills perspective.

Caffeine

the assets they seem to be using fit a more tropical area not some forest in russia are they aware that they are making a game in russian territory?

CamHostage

It's a give-or-take situation IMO.

If Konami had Virtuos remake it completely (which it looks like they chose not to do,) it would have been nearly impossible to capture the Kojima touches to level design and balance that MGS3 strikes so carefully. Nobody has made a stealth-action game like MGS1-3 (even if some people prefer Thief or Hitman or something else like that, even detractors of Metal Gear would know that there's a certain structure and forethought to MGS which isn't replicated elsewhere.) Whatever Virtuos would have had to do to make it fully open-world or seamlessly linear (instead of screen-cutting to each small area, which I assume is still the concept) or expanding levels or adding content or changing the perspective would have severed it from what people liked about the original game as it was... Maybe they would have been successful reimaging it (Capcom did it twice with RE2/3,) but what would be the chances of Virtuos improving on in-its-prime Kojima Productions?

If Konami had Virtuos change the graphics but leave the gameplay exactly as is as much as possible (which it looks like they chose for the game's direction,) it would come off as an old game, but at least it'd be a brilliant old game. Everything that earned MGS3 perfect-10s back in the day would be the same, just with graphics that kids today might object to less... but, will those kids instead object to it feeling old even though it doesn't look old, once they play the game and see the tiny stage areas and arch rulesets of blocky movements and fussy camo switching and everything else that makes MGS3 clearly a PS2-era game?

...If this remake were able to switch back and forth between graphics, you'd at least have the best of both worlds for a faithful remake. However, I doubt they'll be running both engines concurrently like Bluepoint does (albeit even Bluepoint doesn't emulate the old graphics. Plus even if Virtuos had some kind of emulation shell inside UE5 for MGS3Delta, they're still doing some additional remaster work beyond just swapping assets. Not to mention, you'd be paying full-price for a single game already on collection packages.)

Brigandier

the assets they seem to be using fit a more tropical area not some forest in russia are they aware that they are making a game in russian territory?

Yeah it is missing rain, wind, mist and fog etc it doesn't seem like a wet rainy russian jungle, It's far too clean a real lack of atmosphere.

Only my view, but why would you re-release the original mgs3 then what, a year later release a new updated version with better graphics. Don't make sense. Why should I buy the collection if I am waiting for Delta? Or why should I buy Delta if I played the collection? Its the same experience but one has a better lick of paint.

Clearly Konami want to follow Capcoms remake success and if the game sells, remake mgs1, 2 etc. But why not reimagine the franchise with Delta? Do something new. Tell something new. Can be similar of course but a new take of the mgs story.

Only my view, but why would you re-release the original mgs3 then what, a year later release a new updated version with better graphics. Don't make sense. Why should I buy the collection if I am waiting for Delta? Or why should I buy Delta if I played the collection? Its the same experience but one has a better lick of paint.

Clearly Konami want to follow Capcoms remake success and if the game sells, remake mgs1, 2 etc. But why not reimagine the franchise with Delta? Do something new. Tell something new. Can be similar of course but a new take of the mgs story.
Lord willing, MGS Delta, and Silent Hill 2 shall compete for GOTY 2024.
Also, what they need to do is do a modern 3d remake of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake. Have David Hayter write the script. He would do it justice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom