• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubuntu + Android = match made in heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polari

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/21/ubuntus-full-desktop-os-coming-to-multi-core-android-devices/

EDIT working video link, thx markot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQozs5tXxwY

Seriously impressive demo despite the glitches - the level of integration is astounding. I doubt Apple will cannibalise Mac hardware sales and follow suit, but I can definitely see Microsoft doing something similar with Windows Phone and Windows 8 on ARM, and I'm sure Android 5.0 will have something similar going on. Intel must be bricking it.

Darkkn

Excited! I think Intel should be excited about this as this stuff is going to benefit from having powerful processors running it and Intel might be at good position to provide higher power mobile chips than arm stuff(in a couple of years).

Here is a quip from ubuntu pr page:
"Ubuntu for Android gives mobile workers a compelling reason to upgrade to multi-core handsets with more RAM, more storage, faster GPUs and CPUs. It’s not just a phone they are buying, it’s a desktop too. While mid-range phones can deliver a perfect Android experience, it takes high-end horsepower to drive a phone and a desktop at the same time."

Niblet

Oh wow, this is very impressive. The data sharing is what slays me. I'll totally be keeping an eye on the development of this project.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Wow, I did not expect you to be able to launch android apps from there as well. That is pretty impressive.

Emitan

Oh wow, this is really cool. I really wanted that one phone that would boot into linux when you connected it to that laptop dock thing

Niblet

Excited! I think Intel should be excited about this as this stuff is going to benefit from having powerful processors running it and Intel might be at good position to provide higher power mobile chips than arm stuff(in a couple of years).

Here is a quip from ubuntu pr page:
"Ubuntu for Android gives mobile workers a compelling reason to upgrade to multi-core handsets with more RAM, more storage, faster GPUs and CPUs. It’s not just a phone they are buying, it’s a desktop too. While mid-range phones can deliver a perfect Android experience, it takes high-end horsepower to drive a phone and a desktop at the same time."

Processors in the mobile space are progressing at a rapid pace. ARM chips can already handle this and will only get better. And of course the software side of things can only get more optimized to better run on the architecture. I hope W8 can exceed what was demoed here.

They should make it so that dock acts not just as a charger but also as a portable HDD case. They can even have processors that can run overclocked in docking mode if this is the case.

If the Ubuntu devs had a brain they would immediately work with AT&T to have Ubuntu built in all their phones. It could really have the potential to be something big.

Also Unity is great.

quaere

I don't see Ubuntu being very successful here - Google will go down the same path and it'll be just like netbooks running Linux before Microsoft got interested.

What OEM is going to choose Ubuntu + Android over Google's built in desktop Android variant?

Phoenix

Very cool, but at the end of the day pointless from a user perspective at this point in the evolution. Users simply don't want to do these functions with their phones - yet.

Wiktor

Realistically that's the future of personal computing. But it will be far more than just dock. The only computing device you will have will be a phone. And then you will own just practically empty shells of tablets, laptops,desktops, TVs etc, which will be mere accesories that if needed will be wirelessy powered by your phone.

wanders

Realistically that's the future of personal computing. But it will be far more than just dock. The only computing device you will have will be a phone. And then you will own just practically empty shells of tablets, laptops,desktops, TVs etc, which will be mere accesories that if needed will be wirelessy powered by your phone.
Truth right here folks.

Avtomat

What is everybody's beef with Unity?

I quite like it.

IMO this will work for somethings, not really gonna say it's the future of computing.

Polari

Is this only for dual core phones? I wanted to implement this on my Captivate.

Seems like a requirement. Judging from the lag in the demo and the default application set (no LibreOffice) I think it must be pretty taxing on current mobile hardware.

segagamer

Banned

This seems like a plausible idea which is actually quite exciting!

But how will you run Battlefield 3?

element

Why is everyone shocked about this? ATT/Motorola did this with the Atrix a year ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWIe8wQBqS0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyV6FDLy6wE

It isn't Ubuntu, but it is just another linux distro that Motorola skinned.

As some said, this is the future of personal computers. When I was working in Boston, they gave me a computer, a laptop, a blackberry, on top of the laptop and iphone i already owned.

Think if you could just give someone a 'phone' and that would be it. Their desk would have a wireless mouse, keyboard, and monitor (wireless dvi/hdmi is out there). Just place your phone on your desk and it links to your desk.

This really wouldn't work for things you need super powerful CPU speed, say video editing or 3D. But for someone just doing Excel, Outlook, or Word it would be perfect.

Great concept and a great demo. Sadly I don't care what Google said; their purchase of Moto Mobility wasn't just for the patents. They see the huge opportunity in converting webtop into a true chrome on phone experience.

This only reaffirms my belief that this is the direction google is headed.

Why is everyone shocked about this? ATT/Motorola did this with the Atrix a year ago.

Exactly! I have an atrix with the laptop dock and media dock. hardware wise it's perfect. The webtop experience leaves a lot to be desired because it doesn't utilize both cores of my phone. System resources are split between the phone and webtop itself. Had they taken this ubuntu approach and merged webtop and phone functionality when docked it would be a much better experience. That being said I can still boot up my laptop dock at work and complete online courses while leaving my desktop solely dedicated to the business.

I for one can't wait to see what google does with this newly acquired technology.
Once China approves the merger that is.

Polari

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWIe8wQBqS0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyV6FDLy6wE

It isn't Ubuntu, but it is just another linux distro that Motorola skinned.

There in lies the epic fail of Motorola's marketing department, naming it "Webtop" was stupid as it sounds like a browser shell rather than a full-blown operating system. Plus the integration here seems a lot better.

Polari

Great concept and a great demo. Sadly I don't care what Google said; their purchase of Moto Mobility wasn't just for the patents. They see the huge opportunity in converting webtop into a true chrome on phone experience.

This only reaffirms my belief that this is the direction google is headed.

Mouse and keyboard support in Android have all pointed to this. I think Chrome OS is probably dead in the water outside businesses and institutions (and I honestly don't see it gaining significant traction there either).

The Moto Mobility purchase is also about home automation. Set-top boxes, lighting, home audio etc. all integrated with Android. I think Webtop is not long for this world, although the concept will live on, but with Android itself scaling better to a desktop scenario rather than running an additional X/GNOME stack.

Zeppu

I'm forced to use Ubuntu at work. It sucks. I'll be damned if I'll be installing that on my phone to ruin it as well.

Fuck Unity.

I'm forced to use Ubuntu at work. It sucks. I'll be damned if I'll be installing that on my phone to ruin it as well.

Fuck Unity.

oh_u.jpg

markot

Banned
I really do hope that Android becomes a desktop viable linux sort of thing >.<

I think that to compete with Microsoft and Apple they need to 'link' their ecosystem up, 'cloud' isnt enough, and you still have people relying and entering the competitions eco systems to do the basics.

tino

Banned
So, does this mean only linux applications complied for ARM can run?

Is there a separated market for it?

What's my photoshop clone option?

Wiktor

In 5 years time, when businesses start using this kind of thing and ditching desk/laptops and their massive software licencing requirements, and support, and power, costs..... Microsoft is going to take one hell of a hit.
If they screw up. However, this is also huge opportunity for them to grow in a way they haven't in years. MS seems to be the only company actually headed into this direction nowaday. But of course if they succeed or not is completely up in their air.

sangreal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom