• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cory Barlog joins Crystal Dynamics.

God of War director Cory Barlog is hoping to breathe new life into Lara Croft, as Square Enix studio Crystal Dynamics has just revealed that the industry veteran has joined its development team.

Barlog and the rest of the San Francisco-based studio will be working on a new Tomb Raider in addition to a "yet to be announced new title."

Barlog is best known for his work on Sony's God of War franchise. Following David Jaffe, Barlog served as writer/director for God of War 2, creative director for Chains of Olympus and he led story creation for Ghost of Sparta.

Gamesindustry.biz

Mad Max, where art thou.

So is this the final nail in the Mad Max coffin?

Will be interesting to see what he can add to e Tomb Raider experience, and where he wants to go with a new IP.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So is this the final nail in the Mad Max coffin?

Will be interesting to see what he can add to e Tomb Raider experience, and where he wants to go with a new IP.

Well, the current one is almost done, so I suspect he's mainly there for the new IP.

Cory Barlog did some stuff for the GOW psp games?

Never knew that. I always guessed he was trapped working on that never happening mad max project

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see him back in the ind -- wait, what the...? He directed Chains of Olympus? Is that game even worth playing?

Mechazawa

I'm guessing Barlog wasn't happy with Mad Max switching developers.

Good to see he's not stuck with a deadweight like McNamara.

Don

Nice to see him back in the ind -- wait, what the...? He directed Chains of Olympus? Is that game even worth playing?

I'm pretty sure that all five GoW games have each had a different director. I think that the director for Chains was Ru Weerasuriya, but Cory might have still been involved in some way because I remember seeing him some of the interviews for it.

And yes, I found both of PSP games to be pretty fun and worth playing.

He's adding in the sex mini-games and generic rage.

Sex minigame in Tomb Raider?
tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
WOW, awesome news!

I love this guy, he did such an amazing job with GoW 2.

Welcome back Cory!

StuBurns

Banned
Barlog didn't direct CoO, he was the creative director of the GoW IP at the time, but the game director was an in-house RADer.

The only GoW he headed was 2, by far the best. I'll be excited to see whatever he does next.

ZoddGutts

He's the best director of the GOW series. Would like to see him do a Soul Reaver game, he'll be the right man to restart the franchise with.

mclem

Sounds good. Not sure what he'll be able to do with Tomb Raider at this point.

The article says *a* new Tomb Raider, not *the* new Tomb Raider. I assume he'll have next to nothing to do with the one that's due RSN, but is onboard for the inevitable next title.

Sophuis

Neo Member
Barlog's the man.
I hope after they finish Lara they revisit Legacy of Kain with him at the helm.

Yes, gentlemen of Crystal Dynamics, where is my Legacy of Kain? I've had my fill of Lara Croft shenanigans, so get on this.

I know not this Cory Barlog fellow, but I heartily enjoyed God of War, so I can only assume he'd do a good job, gameplay-wise.
I just hope they can keep up the quality of writing, should a new Legacy of Kain project do happen. Maybe ask Amy Hennig to write, if nothing else?

Gameplay suggestion: active teleporting for Kain.

It should be interesting to see what he does. I guess his Mad Max thing didn't work out after all then.

Also, it was news to me too to hear about his involvement in the psp GoW games o_O

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Weren't alot of the gameplay ideas from GoW2 stuff that didn't make the first one? I loved the game and he deserves credit where credit is due, but it's hard to know how much of an impact he had on GoW and Tomb Raider should be pretty far along by now. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Madridy

I loved God of War 2 and hope that he'll be greatly involved in the design process of their new IP.

Btw, what was he doing for the past 6 years?

Top Bottom