• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new boxarts GTA:SA(post them)

neptunes

grand-theft-auto-san-andreas-20040707093531390.jpg

any more?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
trippingmartian said:
Something tells me I'm not going to like this game as much as the first two PS2 iterations.
Translation: MY HATRED FOR BLACK PEOPLE BURNS WITH THE FIRE OF A THOUSAND SUNS

Iceman

I hope I don't have to wait a whole year again to pick up what will undoudtedly be the superior version on PC.

racecards.gif

belgurdo

Banned
trippingmartian said:
:lol Just because I like Goodfellas better than New Jack City doesn't mean I hate black people. It's just that black crime stories are so fucking ghetto. Samey. No culture behind it.

It REALLY begins

Alcibiades

I think it's less a "hatred" for black people and more a disgust that DMA would glorify inner-city/urban culture (which is already plagued by a crime-ridden perception) since it "fits" their need for a new theme to attach to a "violent"/"mature" videogame.

While I'm sure blacks are part of the target audience, my guess is they are going to try and target "rap music" audience (mostly middle-class white kids actually, but extending to broad demographics as well) since that's what has been "in" the past few years, with the black community (and/or urban "culture") / "black people" once again a pawns for entertainment and profit...

TaleSynz

The Main Character is Black ?? I know like nothing about this game. I found that cutting myself off of all information will keep me happy.

So is he ?

Iceman

Yes, but in a twist this GTA's hero is actually that.. a good guy.

That'll be interesting in its own right.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
No culture behind it? One could say that about Italian mob movies (not that I would, I love them) but the point still stands. Just because you're too obtuse or lack the initiative to look past the skin colour of the storytellers before labelling them as "ghetto", I too could point to the tracksuits, goombahs, bad hair, hand-waving and hair-trigger violence of Goodfellas and their ilk as indicative of Italian mob stories' lack of culture.

But I don't.

TaleSynz

efralope said:
I think it's less a "hatred" for black people and more a disgust that DMA would glorify inner-city/urban culture (which is already plagued by a crime-ridden perception) since it "fits" their need for a new theme to attach to a "violent"/"mature" videogame.

While I'm sure blacks are part of the target audience, and my guess is they are going to try and target "rap music" audience (mostly middle-class white kids actually, but extending to broad demographics as well) since that's what has been "in" the past few years...

LoL...PLEEEEEASE. Don't try and rationalize it. Im black...my family is black...and alot of my friends are black. I think we cared or less about the color of the main character of the past two installments.

AeroGod

They are just trying to be different. They've done the Italian Mafia, they've done the Cuban Drug Cartel. So whats next? obviously a more "ghettoified" street war type thing.

I dunno about you, but I played 100's of hours worth of running through a virtual New York mesing wit the mafia, another 100 hours running through a virtual Miami messing with the cartel, and now im ready for something new and this seems to fit the bill rather perfectly I might say.

Sure they've touched down on other minor gangs in the other 2 games, but I think as a main focus this is going ot work rather well.

Alcibiades

TaleSynz said:
LoL...PLEEEEEASE. Don't try and rationalize it. Im black...my family is black...and alot of my friends are black. I think we cared or less about the color of the main character of the past two installments.

ok, well, maybe I'm oversimplifying...

I'm not black so I can't take that kind of perspective, but I haven't played any GTA more than a just a couple of times, but just from previews/commercials/talk, I kinda get the picture Vice City went for the 80's retro style and this one will go for the inner-city "thug" style...

I could be wrong (and I live in a town with practically no white or black people), but that seems to be the perception even just talking to people...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Why are we discussing the soundtrack again? Holy CRAP:

- there will be multiple radio stations in GTA: SA
- previous iterations of GTA have also employed multiple radio stations
- previous iterations of GTA have provided different styles of music on these radio stations
- therefore, it's safe to expect that there will be different styles of music available for perusal in GTA:SA's multiple radio stations

I find it laughable that the ONLY TIME you people set your asses on fire and run around bemoaning the taint of rap is when the central protagonist is black. Didn't hear anything from you rabble-rousers in GTA 3...didn't hear it in Vice City. But the second the main character isn't a white guy, everybody loses their fucking minds.

Ridiculous.

MY POST AND OPINION IS KEEPING BLACK PEOPLE FROM HIGHER WAGES! THAT MUST BE IT! AHH ITS CAUSE PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT COLOURS THIS CRAZY RIDE CALLED LIFE NEEDS LESS COLORS AHHH! I DONT WANT TO PLAY GTA GAJILLION AFTER THE FIRST GAJILLION ITS CAUSE BLACK!

Sorry kids, I dont wanna 'thug it', and I dont wanna play ANOTHER damned GTA. However, if the main character is a 'good guy', that might add something different to the game. Fighting Evil is universal ;P

Happy?

The Faceless Master said:
i'll wait on the Xbox version...

i just can't play GTA on PS2...

nah I dont think it's worth waiting. Might as well just play the game. By the time there's an Xbox version, Xbox 2 will be out.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I was talking about people bemoaning evil rap music, MAF - like that's all that was going to be available to listen to in the game. If you're tired of the GTA formula, that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
bishoptl said:
Why are we discussing the soundtrack again? Holy CRAP:

- there will be multiple radio stations in GTA: SA
- previous iterations of GTA have also employed multiple radio stations
- previous iterations of GTA have provided different styles of music on these radio stations
- therefore, it's safe to expect that there will be different styles of music available for perusal in GTA:SA's multiple radio stations

I find it laughable that the ONLY TIME you people set your asses on fire and run around bemoaning the taint of rap is when the central protagonist is black. Didn't hear anything from you rabble-rousers in GTA 3...didn't hear it in Vice City. But the second the main character isn't a white guy, everybody loses their fucking minds.

Ridiculous.

You took the words out of my mouth, I think you just ended any complaints about the soundtrack. I was going nuts when San Andreas details first came out. People were saying they liked this one less because they don't like rap music...like that was some amazing arguement. If you don't like rap music then turn the freaking station, JUST LIKE IN REAL LIFE.

And how are Blacks the target audience? Considering the number how many people paid and played GTA3 and Vice City, I think the target audience is anyone that has $49.99. DMA just needed another theme...

How about this, don't buy the freaking PS2 version. Just shut the hell up until the PC version comes out and you can change the character model to whatever you want? There now nobody can complain. I'm interested in some of the new things that have been added and will be picking up the PS2 version on release, and I know I won't be alone.

Haha, change the character to a little short asian guy. Will the voice over be the same? haha, or a little girl character model, equipped with a 9mm. haha. Classic.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Changing the main character's model in the PC version to a Grand Wizard or something would be hilarity to the extreme, especially in the cutscenes.

DMczaf

bishoptl said:
Changing the main character's model in the PC version to a Grand Wizard or something would be hilarity to the extreme, especially in the cutscenes.

wizard.jpg

"PUNCHA TA SLEEP NIGGA!"

bishoptl said:
No culture behind it? One could say that about Italian mob movies (not that I would, I love them) but the point still stands. Just because you're too obtuse or lack the initiative to look past the skin colour of the storytellers before labelling them as "ghetto", I too could point to the tracksuits, goombahs, bad hair, hand-waving and hair-trigger violence of Goodfellas and their ilk as indicative of Italian mob stories' lack of culture.

But I don't.
I'll probably still buy and play this game when it comes out, but I've been jonesing for a true mobster game from Rockstar. GTA3 ditched the mafia far too early in the game for my liking. The main character wasn't sympathetic at all. He didn't show loyalty to any gangs and that pissed me off.

However, when Tommy V was double-crossing gangs left and right in Vice City, it felt more like an homage to the self-destructive behavior of Pacino's Scarface.

So by no means am I going to turn my nose up at this game because of the origin of the gangsters. I was just hoping for something more up my alley.

I shouldn't even have to explain my position, but I feel that if I don't put it into plain English, that it will result in a ban of some sort. It's like the cold war in here. Pointing fingers and accusations.

Matlock

Banned
bishoptl said:

God knows it was funny to play as Mario and bust out some Mario Kart action...

Or Solid Snake. :D

grandtheftmetalgear.jpg

Haha, man, now I sorta wanna get the pc version. Id need to make/find a grand wizard character model tho :(

Of course it'd be funny for about five minutes, but what a five minutes it would be.

Gattsu25

Banned
trippingmartian said:
Mob movies have a romantic charm to them that you will never see in an inner-city gang story. In most mob stories the character retain pieces of their heritage through food, relatives, wine and lots of traditions. That is what I mean by culture. Some may describe hip-hop and FUBU as culture, but I am not among those who do. It's pop culture. Not the same thing.

You, sir, are a classified idiot.

Alcibiades

tripping, I'd also describe it as "pop" culture, what you see on MTV, hear on radio stations, last year's XBox marketing, etc...

p.s. I've never seen mob movies so I not sure what that's about, I just saw a retro thing Vice City cause of the music CD's they sold and when it took place...

Bob White

Mob movies have a romantic charm to them that you will never see in an inner-city gang story. In most mob stories the character retain pieces of their heritage through food, relatives, wine and lots of traditions. That is what I mean by culture. Some may describe hip-hop and FUBU as culture, but I am not among those who do. It's pop culture. Not the same thing.

What the FUCK?

Top Bottom