• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3DS gameboxes are pretty awesome

Majine

Banned
OoT3Dinsidecasing.jpg

Haven't seen this before. Less plastic, more creativity!

Are there some games that use this in a particularly cool way?

Eusis

Don't think they do that in the US, which is really damn disappointing. I don't care for these eco cases, but the combination of neat things like that AND the fact it really doesn't matter for carts would make me prefer them over DS cases alone.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, Kid Icarus does that too. With even Dreamcast symbol as a special guest.

The rare occurrence of doing something fancy is cool, but I'm not a fan of the cases themselves. They feel kind of cheap and shitty. Plus the sleeve can get dented thanks to all the speed holes. The thicker Euro cases are slightly better.

Nintendogs+Cats, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Metal Gear Solid

... all in Japan only and sometimes EU. :(
I love that kind of thing. Treating certain parts of the world as less worthy of such thngs.

I can still remember how all Japanese Dreamcast games came with nice color manuals. In the U.S all we ever got were cheap black and white.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Compared to the barren vita cases they look all like limited edition.

-KRS-

The rare occurrence of doing something fancy is cool, but I'm not a fan of the cases themselves. They feel kind of cheap and shitty. Plus the sleeve can get dented thanks to all the speed holes. The thicker Euro cases are slightly better.

They're still thicker here in Europe? I thought that was only for the DS.

Anyway, I also like that they look more or less like a half-sized wii game box.

Randdalf

I'm pretty sure it's only for the DS. My American DS games usually come in black boxes which are marginally thicker than 3DS boxes. European DS boxes are pretty chunky though.

Yep, just slightly. Europe's 3DS cases are the same thickness as the regular American/Japanese DS cases. Which kind of makes me wonder why Nintendo bothered with those ultra thick clear Euro DS cases...

-KRS-

This is the SM3DL Eur box.

Yeah it's awesome. And if you look on the whole inside cover, there are actually more pictures than the ones that are visible through the holes as well.

@Infernal Monkey: huh, that's interesting. Are euro Wii boxes also thicker then? Because I'm pretty sure the 3DS game boxes I have are exactly as thick as the wii boxes I have.

Luigiv

I like how skinny they are.

The PAL DS boxes were like twice the thickness for no reason at all.

More Euro than PAL. In Australia we only get chunky boxes if when the publisher is too cheap to print Aus specific boxes. When we do get the latter, they're the same slim boxes the US and Japan gets.

The same is true for 3DS. The Euro boxes are a little thicker then the international ones though not quite as drastic a difference as difference.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
The Zelda one is slick! Shame they only did Mario Land in Europe, but yeah the removable cover is great! Some real creativity :) You can even switch it around if you want!

I love that kind of thing. Treating certain parts of the world as less worthy of such thngs.

I can still remember how all Japanese Dreamcast games came with nice color manuals. In the U.S all we ever got were cheap black and white.

Nintendo and Sony have always done that to Europe to some extent, whereas America always gets nice logos and backgrounds on the spines we get a plain white background with the game title in a generic font. Sony is probably the worst offender as they give us a colour spine with plain text which looks awful.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Anyone have a picture of the Euro 3DS and NTSC 3DS game boxes side by side?

Didn't realise the Euro ones are still a bit thicker.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I was just about to post these myself, but here's the full art (sorry for crappy phone pic)

2012-03-11125824.jpg

The RE:R one is quite nice too, with the blood stain stretching across the inside cover

Highly quality scans, or images of these would be nice so NA sufferers could have them. :(

Not Dreamcast, but I still hate Capcom for what they did to the Okami manual on Wii.

EDIT: Actually, not Wii, PS2.

Nemesis_

Interestingly, the EU ones are thicker but putting a slick from an EU one into a US one makes it near perfect. Basically, the slicks are the same size regardless of case size.

Star Fox 3D in Australia has the portraits of each character on the inside.

Nosgoroth

I don't have NTSC 3DS games, but since I am taking pictures...

Mario kart Wii (EUR)
SM3DL (EUR)
Zelda OoT (EUR)
Ghost Trick (USA)
Mario Kart DS (EUR, obviously)
Gyakuten Saiban (JP)

Why are my pictures so noisy? What's wrong with you today, 4S? :(

-KRS-

Not Dreamcast, but I still hate Capcom for what they did to the Okami manual on Wii.

What did they do? :(

@Nosgoroth: You need more light :p
Just shine a lamp on whatever you take photos of and the ISO level will probably automatically go down, producing less noise.

7threst

It's pretty cool what Nintendo is doing with their boxes. On 3DS, but on Wii too. Both Xenoblade and The Last story have reversible covers too.

What did they do? :(

I can't find pictures of it, unfortunately.

But Okami, as you probably know, is a game that is so much about its aesthetic. The Japanese manual was a beautiful thing, full of colour and gorgeous art and printed on really nice paper that made it feel almost like part of the game.

The US manual was a shit black and white thing, which was so far removed from the feel of the game that it should have been banned.

-KRS-

I can't find pictures of it, unfortunately.

But Okami, as you probably know, is a game that is so much about its aesthetic. The Japanese manual was a beautiful thing, full of colour and gorgeous art and printed on really nice paper.

The US manual was a shit black and white thing, which was so far removed from the feel of the game that it should have been banned.

That's fucking horrible! D:
Did they do that in PAL-land as well?

jonno394

Actually, here, found some photos of the Japanese manual. Have a look at these and weep at what the US got.

aG5MF.jpg

7q2UG.jpg

scMLT.jpg

XZ6Ko.jpg

htF7u.jpg

It is an actual work of art.

The UK manual was nothing like this iirc, fortunately the Okami artbook translated buy Udon meant I have not missed out on any of the beautiful artwork..

-KRS-

If they really wanted to cut down on plastic, disc cases should be the size of 3DS cases and 3DS cases would be super tiny.

lol, I'd love to see the manuals for such a case. It would be like one of those really tiny comic books that you basically need a magnifying glass to read. But it would be so cute! xD

Blunt

Banned
This is how you do environmentally friendly cases.

not this
microsoft-goes-green-with-new-xbox-360-cases-20091127091917336.jpg

Those things piss me right the fuck off. "Bugger protecting your disc and paper sleeve, we've got green groups to appease!".

For every 'environmental' 360 case I receive from the US, I put one aluminium can in the regular garbage bin instead of the recycling one and club several endangered baby seals.

Top Bottom