• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective HD Kickstarter - currently live

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1920171553/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective-adventure-mys

It's from some of the original developers, who have apparently acquired ICOM's game library. Why they're starting with this one I don't know, I'd think they'd start with a more popular ICOM game like Shadowgate, but hey, you have to start somewhere.

They do have a ways to go -- it's at only $4,500 of the $55,000 they want, with 33 days to go -- and it's an FMV game so I don't know how many people will donate given the dislike many people have for the genre (rightfully so too, I think) -- but while they are live-action video, the Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective games aren't too bad... they are adventure games, with video. Watch the video in the kickstarter page; it's kind of amusing. They've got tiers from $9 to $600. He mentions making a new one too, maybe after the first nine are redone, with live actors and everything.

Anyway, the idea is to remake the 9 mysteries and release them individually on PC, Mac, iOS, and Android. The original games were three titles, each with three mysteries, but while they're selling them individually this time the price will of course be much lower for each...

Oh, and they joined the "Kick it Forward" thing Brian Fargo started up, too.

Returning to Shadowgate though, the FAQ also says this:
Yes! I have obtained the rights to all of my adventures including Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and Uninvited. The great part is that we still have the designs for sequels to Shadowgate (for instance) that were never published. We plan on rolling these out after the Sherlock Mysteries.
There were actually two published sequels to Shadowgate from ICOM -- Beyond Shadowgate (TurboGrafx-CD exclusive) and Shadowgate 64: Trials of the Four Towers (N64 exclusive), but I assume that there must have been more too... I am pretty sure that a Shadowgate 64 2 did start production, before being cancelled as ICOM fell apart and the N64 neared the end of its life.

...pretty much all the big gaming kickstarters so far give you the full game on one of the lowest pledging tiers.

You're paying for it once.

Yeah, that's the case with this one -- you get the PC or Mac versions of all nine with the lowest, $9 tier, and the iOS or Android versions as well at $30.

Is anyone willing to fund their own games anymore?

Developers don't have that kind of money, and publishers won't fund things they think won't sell, like these kickstarter projects all are.

bengraven

Is anyone willing to fund their own games anymore?

Have you noticed how hard it is for smaller companies, especially those who hold older IPs that publishers don't care about but fans do, are not able to get funding for their games?

I don't understand what the problem is.

NeededSleep

Oh man shadowgate. Now that brings back memories! I'd maybe help that, not interested in Sherlock Holmes though.

Also yeah getting a but tired about seeing kickstarter stuff. either its a fad or the next part of gaming. either way nothing has peeked my interest enough to open my wallet.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The gane is really cheap. If you back this, you get 9 (!) adventure games, each one with loads of FMV. That must be expensive to make for a niche market. I'm getting the impression that this Kickstarter project is not really a plea for money so they can start production, but an advertisement, since I don't see how $55,000 could be enough money to fund this project. Despite that, I hope they'll succeed. I used to be a big fan of the genre and although I don't play 'em anymore, I wish any developer in the genre the best of luck. (And I somehow always feel guilty about not buying the games to support them.)

Shame this thread was shat up from the start...why do people do it?

If they have the rights to ICOM's other stuff, why'd they pick Sherlock? I would have definitely started with Shadowgate, Deja Vu, or Uninvited. As it is, I'm on the fence, but I would pledge for a good tier if any of those three came up in the conversation.

Having studied the rewards closely, this is going to be one of the cheapest ones I've backed so far. $20 pledge is great, but the $30-$100 seem pretty meh.

Reknoc

So, okay. Seems like a weird game to start with. Frogware already make decent enough Holmes adventure games, and they aren't FMV games. Hard to see a reason to back this.

Unless they somehow manage to resurrect Jeremy Brett and get him to star in the FMV stuff.

Shame this thread was shat up from the start...why do people do it?

If they had the rights to ICOM's other stuff, why'd they pick Sherlock? I would have definitely started with Shadowgate, Deja Vu, or Uninvited.

I said that as well, but I would assume the primary reason is that these games are easier to up-port to HD -- instead of being old graphical adventure games that would require a complete redraw, with these games they can just go to the original tapes and make remasters that dramatically improve video quality versus the old CD-based, one CD per three cases, "the video plays in a part-screen window" versions.

I'm so sick of hearing about Kickstarter games.

It does indeed seem like every other thread on this forum right now is about a kickstarter.

I foresee a big glut of mediocre games coming off of them in the future and a burst of this bubble, so to speak, if a lot of them fail to get off the ground in the first place.

The gane is really cheap. If you back this, you get 9 (!) adventure games, each one with loads of FMV. That must be expensive to make for a niche market. I'm getting the impression that this Kickstarter project is not really a plea for money so they can start production, but an advertisement, since I don't see how $55,000 could be enough money to fund this project. Despite that, I hope they'll succeed. I used to be a big fan of the genre and although I don't play 'em anymore, I wish any developer in the genre the best of luck. (And I somehow always feel guilty about not buying the games to support them.)

The games are all made, the money will be for making the ports good. (A difficult task for games of the ear, not to mention FMV games)

It does indeed seem like every other thread on this forum right now is about a kickstarter.

I foresee a big glut of mediocre games coming off of them in the future and a burst of this bubble, so to speak, if a lot of them fail to get off the ground in the first place.

A lot of developers suddenly finding out they can make the niche game that they were terrified would bankrupt them without any risk.

Not surprising and I hope it continues, since I love a lot of genres that these days are considered niche.

As long as it involves developers that have proven they can make a good game, such as Double Fine, Brian Fargo, and the Tex Murphy people, I don't see anything to worry about. But with an unknown indie developer it's riskier.

Chesskid1

Banned
it's so cool how they said you will see actor auditions for the various roles, and donators will vote.

awesome. always wanted to be a casting director.

were the original games any good?

My heart says I should say nothing (ICOM <3), but those games were really bad.
I liked the fact you had to peruse the included "The Times" newspaper for clues, but the "gameplay" was dull and the execution pretty poor.

Oh, and they have nothing in common with ICOM "true" adventures, such as Shadowgate and Deja Vu.

So he can register his dislike about how widespread begging in the games industry has become. It's a valid point. Deal with it.

Begging? Really? Is it worse than having to spend tens of millions to convince people the same shit they bought last year or for the last five years is worth buying again this year? If you guys want a referendum on KickStarter or crowdfunding in every damn thread, why don't you do all of us a fucking favor and make a thread dedicated to your ridiculous point of view instead of shitting up every single other thread. There are likely no end to KS projects this year or for the foreseeable future, so best to start hashing out your insecurities in a dedicated topic.

mclem

If they have the rights to ICOM's other stuff, why'd they pick Sherlock? I would have definitely started with Shadowgate, Deja Vu, or Uninvited. As it is, I'm on the fence, but I would pledge for a good tier if any of those three came up in the conversation.

I assume for mass-market accessibility. After all, the character's hot right now thanks to the BBC and Benedict Cumberbatch.

So he can register his dislike about how widespread begging in the games industry has become. It's a valid point. Deal with it.
Sure, I'll register a dislike, too: I dislike that this is necessary. Because it, well, is. I dislike the fact that the only games most publishers will touch are the huge, mass-market appeal, big-budget affairs, anything that's a little bit quirky or niche runs a massive risk of being focus grouped beyond all recognition - if it even makes a start in the first place.

This is a different way of funding. You could look upon it as begging, if you like, but it's not really massively different from the existing model - they're just begging to the *players* rather than a guy in a suit in a boardroom who doesn't really get games and is always looking at the bottom line.

Experimenting with different forms of budgeting is A-OK in my book.

It says in the FAQ that they did this first because the sherlock stuff gave the easiest opportunity to putting lots of people's names/stuff into the game(for the higher reward tiers):

Why the Sherlock Holmes mysteries first?

Good question. The biggest reason is that these games offered the greatest chance to get other people involved. I couldn't think of any better way to let more than 600 people have the opportunity to either be a character or writer. Plus, I just happen to love Sherlock Holmes!

zoku88

I assume for mass-market accessibility. After all, the character's hot right now thanks to the BBC and Benedict Cumberbatch.

And don't forget the soon-to-be-hit Elementary!

Anyway, the title seemed interesting because I thought it would be an adventure game... but you lost me at FMV.

mrgone

I like Sherlock Holmes too, but if he'd lead with a Shadowgate sequel this would be a much simpler decision :)

trinest

"The great part is that we still have the designs for sequels to Shadowgate (for instance) that were never published."

*cums*

YES YES YES YES YES.

Screw Sherlock give me that.

Xander51

I love ICOM's games. I was just replaying Shadowgate the other evening. I think I'll support this one. I got the first Consulting Detective game with my Sega CD, and even though it was kind of absurdly hard for me at the time, I loved it.

EDIT: Well, I just backed this. 10 bucks for all the games when they come out is too good of a deal to pass up.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I will support this, if only it means we get a sequel to Deja Vu.

vireland

My heart says I should say nothing (ICOM <3), but those games were really bad.
I liked the fact you had to peruse the included "The Times" newspaper for clues, but the "gameplay" was dull and the execution pretty poor.

Oh, and they have nothing in common with ICOM "true" adventures, such as Shadowgate and Deja Vu.

Still have my Sherlock Hat from the Turbografx launch party for this game. You're right, though, it was awful. No good memories of it at all.

I remember a Sherlock Holmes FMV game that came as one of the pack-ins for the Sega CD when I got it. Is this the same series I'm thinking of?

(Also Shadow Gate 64 was actually pretty good, even though I prefer the original)

Top Bottom