• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master Detective Archives: Rain Code |OT| Danganronpa Dungeon Crawling

RC_1920x600_r2.jpg

Release Date
Available Now (NA Limited Edition: 7/14/2023)
Platform
Nintendo Switch™
Developer
Spike Chunsoft, Co. Ltd.
Genre
Adventure
Language
Voice: Japanese, English
Text: Japanese, English, French, Italian, German, Spanish
A brand new dark fantasy detective action game from the minds behind the Danganronpa series!
Yuma, an amnesiac detective-in-training, and Shinigami, the spirit haunting him, tackle unsolved mysteries! End the reign of mysteries in this lucid-noir detective adventure!

Kanai Ward, the city of rain, is gripped by innumerable unsolved mysteries.
Explore the city in a fully 3D environment and find Solution Keys that will help solve cases.​

Mystery-Detective-Archives-RAIN-CODE_Trailer_03-27-23_Top.jpg

Investigate cases alongside Master Detectives

Yuma Kokohead
Yuma.png

Japanese VA: Katsumi Fukuhara
English VA: Lucien Dodge
The protagonist suffers from amnesia. His background is unknown, but he was in possession of documents indicating that he was sent to Kanai Ward as a detective-in-training at an agency in the city. He participates in ongoing investigations. A lack of self-confidence results in a tendency to frequently complain. However, he possesses a strong sense of justice and selflessly tries to help anyone in need.

Yuma and Shinigami work with Master Detectives from the World Detective Organization, a group dedicated to solving cases.
Each Master Detective has a supernatural ability known as a Forensic Forte. Using these abilities, they’re able to gather facts and clues beyond the reach of an ordinary person.
Mimic body types and voices with Disguise. Detect heart beats and whispers with Audial Aptitude. Witness past crime scenes with Postcognition.
These abilities can be shared with Yuma under the right conditions. Utilize them to get closer to cracking a case.

Shinigami-both-forms.png

Shinigami

Japanese VA: Sayumi Suzushiro
English VA: Anjali Kunapaneni
A death god contracted to haunt Yuma. She usually appears in her spirit form. Only visible to Yuma, Shinigami is constantly floating and bobbing along at his side. Though cheerful and chatty, this death god’s sense of morality is quite far removed from that of humans. Her words and actions sometimes confuse Yuma. In the Mystery Labyrinth she transforms into a humanoid form and has the power to intervene in matters.

Trailers

Reviews
Metacritic score: 78
Opencritic score: 78 (70% of critics recommend)

NoisyPixel:
Master Detective Archives: Rain Code delivers an excellently paced detective mystery through its clever writing and memorable cast of characters. It's not afraid to go to some dark places and have fun at the same time within its narrative, but the balance of these themes is crafted in a way that keeps you hooked. The puzzles are all clever, and the gameloop never comes off as repetitive or straightforward. It's an excellent experience that rivals all other releases in this genre.
Kotaku:
Rain Code is built by a team that knows how to make these kinds of games, and as a long-time fan of the themes Kodaka tends to write around, I was pretty moved by the end even though it nearly lost me in the beginning. If you've never been a fan of Kodaka's mix of camp, heavyhanded themes, and theatrics, Rain Code will likely not grab you. But despite it feeling like Danganronpa's distant cousin, it makes it clear this team doesn't have to lean on Monokuma's death game as a crutch and can build something new upon its bones instead. Hopefully, this means Kodaka can continue to let old things die on their own terms and make new things instead.
RPGSite:
Master Detective Archives: Rain Code is a wild ride from start to finish. There were some twists in the mystery I wasn't expecting and some that I saw coming. Despite a short lull in the middle section of the game, it still results in an excellent story told with a colorful cast of characters. Kanai Ward itself is such a beautiful place too. Like how the rain never lets up in the city, the suspense never lets up in Rain Code.

Last edited:
So, I decided to throw a quick little something for the few of us who are planning to play this lol it looks like it's going to be quite good, the reviews basically all conclude that if you're a Danganronpa fan, you should find plenty of enjoyment in this. I've been quite excited for it for a long time now!

Master-Detective-Archives-RAIN-Code_2023_02-27-23_Top.jpg

Let's fucking go!​

Hydroxy

Looks right up my alley, unfortunate its Switch exclusive. Even though they said no, i will still hold out hope of me getting to play on pc someday.

TwinB242

I finished the first case. I like the game but the lip syncing might very well be the worst i've ever seen. Its not even just the fact that it was clearly animated for japanese, but even when the characters finish talking their lips can continue animating for a good 3-4 seconds afterwards. It must be bugged or something.

Apparently Amazon just doesn't give a fuck when it comes to shipping certain games. Despite being "out" everywhere else it's not launching until August from Amazon.

What even is this bullshit??
Fuck Amazon! Cancel your preorder and get it from videogamesplus (they're Canadian game store which orders reprints of rarer/low print games).

Last edited:
Apparently Amazon just doesn't give a fuck when it comes to shipping certain games. Despite being "out" everywhere else it's not launching until August from Amazon.

What even is this bullshit??
Aye, my order with Amazon showed a delay a couple of days ago and I just cancelled and got it digitally instead. I’ve had some bad experiences with new release niche games when buying them from Amazon lately, it seems like if it’s not an AAA high profile title you’re at a high risk of it being delayed for no reason. It’s bollocks, honestly.

That being said, the game is quite good so far (I’m going through the first case atm). I like that it’s practically fully voiced and that it has a lot of cinematics, the whole thing really feels like a Kodaka game with all the despair <3.

Isa

Nice OT! I bought the Digital Deluxe edition or whatever its called. I've yet to start it up but am definitely looking forward to it once I clear out some games I'm currently playing through. Love the city and colors along with the Shinigami chick.

I’m just about to finish Chapter 4’s investigation and honestly it’s been a wild ride. The writing has been fantastic so far and I can’t help but love the crazy scenarios Kodaka keeps up coming with.

I’ll finish this chapter and post my impressions so far with the earlier chapters to try to kindle up some discussion, let’s spread the word a bit more!

PanzerCute

So I started the game yesterday and played around 4 hours. Just finished chapter 0 and the prologue and I am finally "free" in the city.

I really like it so far, but I was expecting something more distinct to Danganronpa. For now, it really feels the same, but with way more budget and in a different universe. Even the musics sound like remixes of DR.

But still, this is very enjoyable so far, very engaging and completely WTF. I have to admit I smile, laugh or cringe (in a good way) all the time.

Last edited:

protonion

Just finished it...

It had it's moments but it completely disappointed me...

The plot came together nicely at the end but the individual cases were bad. They flood you with clues that are extremely easy to see how they will be used. I was always ahead of the game in deducing the mysteries... That alone is a major negative.

Just finished it...

It had it's moments but it completely disappointed me...

The plot came together nicely at the end but the individual cases were bad. They flood you with clues that are extremely easy to see how they will be used. I was always ahead of the game in deducing the mysteries... That alone is a major negative.
well, that's disappointing. thanks for the impressions...

PanzerCute

I finished the game yesterday and I really enjoyed it. As protonion protonion mentions, the game is too easy and didnt blow me away like DR did, but apart from that I really loved my time with it.

The characters are really fun, the story is cool, musics are great and the production values are a big upgrade compared to DR.

I think this is a very good basis to build upon and I look forward to playing new entries in the series.

Labadal

Does it have that bullet mini game from Danganrompa?

Edit: Bullrt time battle or whatever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom