• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity requires an internet connection in order to [start]

Update 2:

Maxis is defending the always-online requirement and it looks like the Gamespy article about it requiring an internet connection at startup is not true:

SimCity dev Maxis insists always-on internet requirement is "worth it"

And while your city does not continue to work while you're offline, it will still be able to interact with other cities that are in reduced ways.

Update:

The game will not require an internet connection to play, but it requires an internet connection in order to start the game up:

Yes, you will have to register an Origin account in order to play, and yes, you must be online in order to start playing. EA has confirmed that you will not be kicked out if your connection is interrupted.

http://au.pc.gamespy.com/pc/sim-city-5/1221798p1.html

Only a slight improvement. It should either just require an internet connection when the game is first installed or it should require no connection at all.

Original:

Lead designer Stone Librande confirmed that SimCity would be an internet-dependent experience. Players will need to be online on Origin while playing, even if that wasn't the point of purchase. The always-on connection becomes necessary with the game's emphasis on multiplayer and regional impact, and the use of a global economy that all players can influence.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/28/simcity-requires-internet-connection-to-play-will-be-sold-outsi/

Also, there will not be mod support at launch:

"Right now we've got our work cut out for us to build the product up to the quality level it deserves as a SimCity," Quigley said. "Then after we ship, we'll make decisions about how we can and when exactly we'll support mods. But it's worth pointing out that the reason people are still playing SimCity 4 almost ten years later is because the modding community essentially re-created it and filled it with new content and fixed bugs and made it as much of a hobby as it is a game.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/28/simcity-will-not-support-mods-at-launch/

Derrick01

Banned
I mean I knew it was going to require Origin, it's obvious at this point, but that doesn't stop me feeling like I was punched in the gut when I read it for each new game.

BigDug13

This doesn't sound like the SimCity I remember. I'd rather pay $10-20 and not have a micro transaction filled Internet required game.

Meh.

If I have to, I'll just google an offline crack.

but I'm not seeing a scenario in which I'm internet less and I must play Simcity.

Dunan

Charge whatever price you want for the game, but let us pay once and then never have to communicate with you in any form again, unless we choose to.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
$2.99 for City Hall.
$.99 to rezone.
$.25 for roads.

I really hope I'm wrong but it's EA. Fuck.

Meier

This is a terrible concept for a game like SimCity which is perfect for killing time for an hour or so while out and about. I guess the requirements will be too steep to run on a laptop anyway..

snap0212

I dont think I've switched my computer on without being connected to the internet since 2004.
You not being connected is one problem. The other problem is that it doesn't work if they are not connected. It has happened in the past (Ubisoft) and I'm 100% sure it'll happen again.

Perkel

Banned
Guess i will have to buy game and download crack for it and after that unistal Origin.

Thanks EA for treating me as thief.

Kem0sabe

Yet another game that went from "must buy" to not a chance in hell.

I´m still waiting for confirmation about Assassin´s Creed 3´s DRM, if it continues with the standard Ubisoft always on crap... i won´t touch it as well, the last AC games i suffered the indignity of having to download a "crack" to be able to play my legit copy of the game "DRM free", but not this time.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
no problem

Pod3p.jpg

Belgorim

As long as it is not microtransaction based, I will probably be happy with it (I'm assuming servers work etc etc.). I want to buy once and then play until an expansion though.

It will be interesting to see what the online features are though. I hope I can still play in some sort of "god-mode".

Gav47

I'm ok with the constant connection thing but I'd like to know what happens if you lose connection, if it drops you back to the main menu or stops you from playing then I'm less ok with it.

Thoraxes

Ugh, Sim City is so much fun on the go, and something like this ruins the time wasting capabilities it has and that I love.

Also Origin :/

Meier

This worries me. What if I want to play the game ten years from now? Will EA still have servers running?

Good point. I've been on a SimCity 4 kick lately since Amazon had the digital version for $5 (easier than getting the physical one off my shelves and reinstalling..lol) and I probably would not be able to do that in today's EA world. Hopefully that just means they've put out another title in that time period though.

TheExodu5

Banned
NeoGAF requires an internet connection to post on...

...yet no one complains,

NeoGAF requiers an Internet connection because it's physically impossible to post on an Internet message board without the Internet.

Sim City requires an internet connection for DRM.

PBalfredo

This worries me. What if I want to play the game ten years from now? Will EA still have servers running?

This. I can go an dust off any of my old NES carts and play some 25 year old Mario. Will I be able to do the same 25 years later with all the digital download game's I'm buying today. Especially ones run by E "Shuts down servers of the last Madden game as soon as the new one comes out" A?

I've never understood why DD games need a constant internet connection. Couldn't I get my game verified as legit online once and be done with it? Why does it need to reaffirm that I bought the game every single time I play it? Are they afraid I'm going to buy the game, get it verified as legit, then immediately pirate it?

Blizzard

Banned
I don't like single-player games requiring an internet connection, and especially with the Origin connection, I suppose I shall pass this one by. Such is life, more time for other stuff!

And what sound like really cool gameplay features.
I'd like to play without those features, or at least have the option to disable them.

Top Bottom