• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we creating a generation of murderers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.*****************/scienc...t-real-guns-accurately--hit-victims-head.html

Playing shoot 'em up games 'trains' gamers to use real guns - and specifically to aim for 'instant kills' by shooting people in the head.

Norwegian mass murderer Anders Breivik admitted to using Call of Duty as a training aid before the Utoya massacre - and the new discovery raises fears that other groups such as Al Qaeda could use the games in the same way.

Players used a pistol-shaped controller in a shoot 'em up, then a real gun on a mannequin - the gamers had 99% more hits in the head than non-gamers.

Players who had 'trained' using games also had 33% more shots that hit other parts of the body.

The study found that participants who reported habitual playing of violent shooting games also were more accurate than others when shooting at the mannequin, and made more head shots.

It's not surprising that video games can improve shooting accuracy -- the military, police departments and others already use video games for training purposes, said Brad Bushman, co-author of the study and a professor of communication and psychology at Ohio State University.

But this is the first study to show that average players using violent shooting games with realistic human targets can improve firing aim and accuracy.

‘For good and bad, video game players are learning lessons that can be applied in the real world,’ Bushman said.

More at the link

Do you think video games are creating a generation of murderers?
Is the Daily Mail a credible source of opinion?
Does this offend you as a video game player?
Are first person shooters casting the rest of the video game world in a negative light?
Could Anders Breivik be the harbinger of death for video games as a mainstream source of entertainment?
Has playing video games made you more confident with an automatic weapon?

Anyone who has shot real guns knows that video games do jack shit to teach someone how to use a gun. You learn just as much watching TV

Orayn

To answer one of your questions, it would appear that Daily Mail isn't credible enough not to have its URL censored on GAF.

I think this article raises some excellent points that GREAT BRITAIN needs to address.

I find its causal link between increased co-ordination and the intent to kill quite persuasive also.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Do you think video games are creating a generation of murderers?
Yes!
Is the Daily Mail a credible source of opinion?
Yes!
Does this offend you as a video game player?
No!
Are first person shooters casting the rest of the video game world in a negative light?
No!
Could Anders Breivik be the harbinger of death for video games as a mainstream source of entertainment?
Yes!
Has playing video games made you more confident with an automatic weapon?
Yes!

btw it's opposite day.

Gartooth

At this point, video games like CoD, Elder Scrolls, and Halo are a part of youth culture. I think a lot of the stigma against violent video games has gone away and in general, games are more accepted as a form of entertainment.

Personally, I don't know how much on an impact video games have on people, but I doubt it is the world ending nonsense that is coming from that article.

ctrayne

Video games definitely do not train you to use a gun properly. Very little correlation between a controller/mouse and a real gun.

I won't comment on the rest as I don't feel qualified to do so.

Not going to read it because of that shitty site ... but why do these posts almost always get posted by a user then they never come back to the thread? Sensationalism should be a bannable offense. 5 minutes and not a single reply from the OP.

You know nothing is stopping someone from going to a shooting range and training with real guns. Murderers seemed to kill just fine before video games came along.

Vidja games eroded my free will and made me shoot my class mates!

Because clearly everyone who plays CoD is a sociopath.

I've been playing RPG's for 20 years and I probably can't even swing a real sword. I never play shooters but the US Army taught me to be an expert shooter.

Nibel

Just wow.

Movies didn't make me a murderer, books didn't and videogames won't because I can seperate from fiction and reality like most human beings.

Glix

They are creating accurate people.

They have nothing to do with creating murderers, thread title is willfully ignorant and is also stupid.

Do you think video games are creating a generation of murderers? Yes
Is the Daily Mail a credible source of opinion? Yes
Does this offend you as a video game player? Yes
Are first person shooters casting the rest of the video game world in a negative light? Yes
Could Anders Breivik be the harbinger of death for video games as a mainstream source of entertainment? Yes
Has playing video games made you more confident with an automatic weapon? Yes

Hieberrr

I believe that video games do play a part in shaping a person's personality, but it depends on maturity. I'm not saying that it affects everyone, but you do have the occasional sociopath. I mean shit, you have little kids, 8-9-10 years old, playing the shit out of Call of Duty, God of War, Grand Theft Auto. That much, you can't deny.

all the fallout I been playing, ill be ready for post 2012!

*slurps water from toilet bowl*

also

violencegraph-1.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You know, I play a LOT of shooters and I really don't think I'd know how to properly shoot an M16 if you handed me one right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom