• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we creating a generation of murderers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQman2121

Banned
This is funny because just last night I was watching something on Gametrailers tv where they had a marine testing the same guns that appear in CoD and Battlefield by running an obstacle course. He concluded that the accuracy and mobility found in the games is 100% make believe. I think it was a story based around the new Medal of Honor.

JBSoldi

Neo Member
‘For good and bad, video game players are learning lessons that can be applied in the real world,’ Bushman said.

About the only credible thing in this article.

JNT

Even if this were true, the more pressing issue to address is why someone would decide to pick up a gun and start firing at other people, not how accurate their shots are.

Anyone who has shot real guns knows that video games do jack shit to teach someone how to use a gun. You learn just as much watching TV

This. Holy shit, this.

Also, just because some psychopath shoots up a place and says he played a video game that's about shooting doesn't mean that people use these games for practice (in the case of them saying maybe terrorist groups play them to train), or that teens playing them will want to go shoot up their school.

This should be common knowledge to most people, but I guess it isn't.

That would actually be pretty neat if playing FPS games increased your aim, even for people who aren't trained in firearms.

It pretty much does; shooting is hand-eye coordination heavy, just like any sport. But a fps video game is practically replicating aiming a gun, so its pretty damn close. Only difference with a real gun is recoil, and the steadiness of your stance. I've played shooter video games since I was a kid, I've only shot guns for the last couple years but it feels very natural.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
They are creating accurate people.

They have nothing to do with creating murderers, thread title is willfully ignorant and is also stupid.
Frankly, as somebody who's played his fair share of CoD and who's been trained to use automatic rifles in RL, the quoted results from the accuracy survey sound bogus to me. But hey, if http://www.*****************/ say that it must be right.

WallJump

Banned
First post nails it as usual.

I am obviously a great candidate for leading a ragtag band of teenagers with a conspicuously not-overlapping skill set on a quest to save the world from an evil emperor/dictator. I do it all the time on my PS3.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Anyone who has shot real guns knows that video games do jack shit to teach someone how to use a gun. You learn just as much watching TV
Quoted for second page.

If've been shooting with real guns when I was in the military and it just proved my point that the comparison to video games is riddiculus.

The discussion will die once younger generations take over politics because people blaiming video games for anything are the ones that haven't even played a game before.

guek

Banned
Oh well....I can't argue with that :(

Going to have to tell my wife i'm a sadist, hey maybe she'll even like it!

You're welcome *wink*

In all honesty though, I do find the fact that the video game industry has grown large enough that there are now kids out there growing up are believing more and more that video games, not books, not even films, are the paragons of modern art and expression to be quite disturbing. And this isn't me trying to say that if you play violent video games that you're suddenly going to turn into a "bad person." Hey, I play violent video games and I'm a swell guy (or so they tell me). But there is a growing element of overt sadism that has pervaded mainstream video games that I'm not entirely comfortable with.

But this is the same kind of uncomfort I feel when I see punk ass kids jiving to mainstream rap that's telling them to smack their bitch and smoke that crack and never let a thug front without smashing their face in, so if you take this all as nothing but the ramblings of self-righteous coot, I wont mind. It's just one person's opinion on the matter.

Chris R

all the fallout I been playing, ill be ready for post 2012!

*slurps water from toilet bowl*

also

violencegraph-1.jpg

Came to see if this image was posted, am not disappoint!

I guess videogames like FPS can improve your brain response to events that pop out. So you'll be more aware of what happens around you. That can imply aswell that you may avoid a situation that may harm yo or save someone, grab something about to fall, stuff that needs a quick reaction from the eye-brain coordination, but will still ultimately fail if your body doesn't keep up.

BattleMonkey said:
Anyone who has shot real guns knows that video games do jack shit to teach someone how to use a gun
And even if it did, improving your accuracy does not make you a murderer. Ridonculous.

MickeyPhree

the world has always been a crazy place. People have always been and done really fucked up and sick things....just with the advancement of technology do we here about all this stuff now.

Phawx

When it comes to violence in video games, all gamers tend to have the same knee-jerk reaction.

But if you replace violence with other bad things, say rape or slavery, it becomes a completely different story.

As a thought experiment, if we are attributing violent crimes going down to violent video games being widely available, we should also extend that further and say games that involve rape would lower rape crimes. Right?

You have to admit it makes you uneasy to suggest something like that. But blowing the virtual face off of someone doesn't seem nearly as bad a virtually raping.

Personally, I am in the camp of interactive virtual media not having any affect on a person's character. That said, I think a ratings system for games is good to have, but I was also okay with ripping the heads off of characters in MK when I was 12.

Now that I'm a father, I do have some weird sense that I need to shield my child from graphic content, but obviously it's my job to analyze my child's ability to comprehend fiction and non-fiction first and then go forward from there.

Also also, I'm not writing this expecting more games to feature darker and darker human crimes. Obviously there are games out there that pander to the lowest level. And I'm glad they exist if only to release some valve in some person's head. Perhaps, just maybe, games that feature cheap thrills have prevented someone from committing a horrible crime.

rdrr gnr

Also also, I'm not writing this expecting more games to feature darker and darker human crimes. Obviously there are games out there that pander to the lowest level. And I'm glad they exist if only to release some valve in some person's head. Perhaps, just maybe, games that feature cheap thrills have prevented someone from committing a horrible crime.
iirc, the professor mentioned in the article claims that's not true -- that video games can't be used to vent. If anything, they make you angrier.

hayguyz

Banned
I think a better question is has an increase in graphics quality caused a desensitization to violence?

We used to see a mess of red pixels, but now we can see Kratos beat a face to a bloody mess in HD.

JazzmanZ

wuxtry wuxtry read all about it:

"Little kid stomps turtle to death blames Super Mario"

"Teenager kills horse trying to earn coins, trained by Dragon quest"

"construction worker demolishes building thinking it was like tetris!"

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Even fully accepting the results of the study - that games improve your aim and teach headshots - all that means is that someone who is willing and interested in committing gun violence has one more way to research and practice.

Without the willingness and interest in actual murder, improved shooting skills don't translate into real violence. And a person who does have the willingness and interest in murder surely could learn how to shoot another way, and could probably even figure out for themselves that shooting someone's head is likely to be fatal.

The reporting here invites conclusions that aren't being argued by the actual researchers, which is always harmful to enterprise of behavioral science and its appreciation by the public.

Seriously.

This just in - people who enjoy reading the NRA newsletter are better at shooting guns! Newsletters train people to shoot

Overlap of populations, how does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom