• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Incest between consenting adults...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we've got another thread in the OT tonight that people are misreading incestuous overtones in. A man marrying two sisters in not incest, but let me present a different scenario: say a man does marry his sister.

What are the repurcussions of that? Should such relationships be tolerated by society? I've heard a number of arguments for and against such an awkward pairing, and I think I can honestly weigh in on the "pro" side of the argument by discrediting a number of the arguments levelled against incest.

Note: In the context of this discussion, let's assume incest is a sexual relationship between two consenting adults. Brother/sister, cousin/cousin, even parent/adult child - why not.

Argument 1 - "Incest is gross"
I can't really explain this one away in the minds of many people because, frankly, there's nothing that can be done for it. People will feel the way they feel, it's instinctual. I can however point out a common bit of hypocricy when it comes to what we see as gross or perverse, and what we do not. Many people view homosexual or interracial relationships as gross. We call them bigoted but are they not simply acting on their gut instinct in the same way someone might judge a couple engaging in incest? I ask myself "why is it okay to judge one sexual behavior but not the other, when both involve consenting adults?" I believe that being truly tolerant should extend to incest so long as there's no coersion involved.

Argument 2 - "Incest leads to fucked up babies"
This is probably the most widely-used argument against incest from rational detractors. They figure that the odds of complications go up from the result of an incestuous pairing, so it should be discouraged and/or outlawed. In my view, however, there are a great many things that a pregnant woman is legally allowed to do that can and probably will harm her future child. A pregnant woman can smoke, drink, and drive a car without any fear of legal repercussion, but an incestuous couple can't marry because they might have deformed offspring? And that's assuming they even want to have kids in the first place. There seems to be a disconnect here.

Argument 3 - "Incest can involve elements of coercion"
Usually, when you hear about incest, it's a parent or adult relative coercing a minor to have sex. This can extend to adults because most people are of the opinion that "why would to sleep with a close relative if you weren't being forced to?". My response to this commonly-raised point is that coercion could just as easily be an element of any relationship, regardless of the circumstances. We see an incestuous couple and assume one of them is being held in place by fear, but rarely does this thought cross our head regarding non-incestuous couples. Does this handwave all the coerced incest in the world? No. What it does is illuminate the double-standard.

I'm not in an incestuous relationship, and I'm not particularly turned-on by the idea, either. But if I had a sister, and we had a mutual desire to enter into a sexual relationship with one another? I would, and I wouldn't see the harm in it.

tl;dr I'm not into incest but I don't get the moral outrage over it. The arguments against it could be levelled against just about any other situation. Thoughts?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
jcSQj.gif

Sadsic

consenting adult incest is fine, any other kind isnt

its still weird/gross/uncooperative for baby making

however 99.9% of incest is abusive stuff, hard to defend incest a sa whole when its mostly rape stuff

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could my fuck my older half-sister, I don't think she'd want to though.

If you want too: Fine.

If you want to have children: I will judge the shit out of you.

And
I can't really explain this one away in the minds of many people because, frankly, there's nothing that can be done for it. People will feel the way they feel, it's instinctual. I can however point out a common bit of hypocricy when it comes to what we see as gross or perverse, and what we do not. Many people view homosexual or interracial relationships as gross. We call them bigoted but are they not simply acting on their gut instinct in the same way someone might judge a couple engaging in incest? I ask myself "why is it okay to judge one sexual behavior but not the other, when both involve consenting adults?" I believe that being truly tolerant should extend to incest so long as there's no coersion involved.
This is not the same thing. Being a homosexual is not sexual behaviour. Being with someone of different colour is not sexual behaviour.

Argument 2 is weak. If one wants to do everything to avoid genetic problems in their offspring (and that offspring's offspring) having children with direct relations is a bad idea. Damning people before they're born is rightfully a taboo.

LordCanti

What's happening in this..

XminU.gif

It's a little of column A...it's a little of column B... assuming everyone is an adult and consenting. It's absolutely disgusting.

7Th

Argument 2 - "Incest leads to fucked up babies"
This is probably the most widely-used argument against incest from rational detractors. They figure that the odds of complications go up from the result of an incestuous pairing, so it should be discouraged and/or outlawed. In my view, however, there are a great many things that a pregnant woman is legally allowed to do that can and probably will harm her future child. A pregnant woman can smoke, drink, and drive a car without any fear of legal repercussion, but an incestuous couple can't marry because they might have deformed offspring? And that's assuming they even want to have kids in the first place. There seems to be a disconnect here.

I personally believe that any pregnant woman that is seen smoking should get fined.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I find incest gross but it shouldn't be illegal.

If two consenting adults want to have a relationship with each other then they should be allowed to do so.

#2 argument is the strongest argument against Incest (and it is not that strong). Of course if two adult sisters want to love each other then it doesn't apply at all.

Nothing will top the pedo "it's okay if they love each other" defense force.

You don't think that has anything to do with the topic, do you? Not that it's OT, but you see a clear difference between incest between consenting adults and pedophilia, right?

zoku88

I pretty much agree with you, OP. Obviously, you probably want to discourage incestuous couples from having babies (just like we generally discourage pregnant women from...say...drinking), it shouldn't be illegal, imo.

Argument 2 is weak. If one wants to do everything to avoid genetic problems in their offspring (and that offspring's offspring) having children with direct relations is a bad idea. Damning people before they're born is rightfully a taboo.
Seemed like that point was about legality more than anything else.

I find incest gross but it shouldn't be illegal.

If two consenting adults want to have a relationship with each other then they should be allowed to do so.

#2 argument is the strongest argument against Incest (and it is not that strong). Of course if two adult sisters want to love each other then it doesn't apply at all.

And brothers?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm with the OP. I personally find incest disgusting, and could never do anything like that with any of my family members.

But between two consenting adults? Nothing is morally wrong with the incest itself. And I really don't care if two want to do that.

As long as there's no reproduction I don't consider it to be anyone's business. If there is reproduction you are putting a child at serious risk and I do believe that should be punishable under the law.

mavs

Is there really no legal punishment for drinking while pregnant? Even if it results in birth defects?

Ventrue

I've heard that a woman having a child at 40 carries the same risk of defects as a woman having a child with (I'm not sure if it was sibling or cousin) at age 20.

Dishwalla

Banned
Why are people interested in this at all? It can't be that hard to find a girl to fuck who's not related to you, there's so many of them out there.

Argument 1 involves saying people find homosexuality gross because of "instinct". Sure, often it is instinct, but it's instinct born of societal norms, norms that are becoming outdated and irrelevant. An instinctive negative reaction to incest is born on natural norms- you're not supposed to be attracted to relatives on any level. The natural norms of finding incest to be fucking gross will never go away. Because, you know, it fucks up babies.

Anyway, you know what? Fine, if two people with the same blood are crazy enough to want to get freaky with each other, whatever. Just stay away from me, and the gene pool, with that shit.

Bento

As long as there's no reproduction I don't consider it to be anyone's business. If there is reproduction you are putting a child at serious risk and I do believe that should be punishable under the law.
...and sending a very expensive bill for the care that comes with it to the tax payer.

farnham

Banned
i dont like the no.2 argument. while it is statistically true there are also other instances that make the chances higher that a child will be disabled that are not as prohibited as incest (for example women getting kids with an age over 35 oreven worse alcohol and tobacco as op pointed out) also it implies that disabled are lesser humans. we cannot, in one society/nation, proclaim equality of nondisabled and disabled amd than try to prohibit certain type of behaviour just because the chances of disability is higher.

i believe incest between two totally sane adult people is their own. usiness. would i ever do it? no not a chance but i dont condem others for doing it.

From the other incest thread.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/nmmjr/iama_man_who_had_a_sexual_relationship_with_his/

In case you want to get to the main bits without reading all the question/answers, it basically boiled down to:

1. Was a positive experience for him and his mother, the father knew and would get jealous occasionally but was okay with it. Sister never knew and he said she wouldn't be okay with it so he never told her.
2. They did pretty much everything.
3. Started when he was injured at some point and physically couldn't masturbate, had blue balls and wanted relief, mother offered and it went on from there.
4. He said he was physically attracted to her before it started. I believe the research being done was in regards to attraction between close relatives or something like that.

I've heard that a woman having a child at 40 carries the same risk of defects as a woman having a child with (I'm not sure if it was sibling or cousin) at age 20.

My mom had me at 40, she took an Amniocentesis test which checks for specific genetic problems. I'm not sure if it would pick up on everything that is a result of incest though, I know it picks up problems like down syndrome which is what is common when a woman is past 35.

This. It multiplies the rate of autism substantially. I believe it's her right to have a child, regardless.

Haha equating incest with homosexuality or interracial relationships

You're gonna have to illustrate your concern clearer than that.

Is there really no legal punishment for drinking while pregnant? Even if it results in birth defects?

Nope.

Zeppelin

Yeah, I guess in principle it could be okay for (adult) siblings to fuck each other if they both really wanted to. I guess much of the taboo comes from the potential kids being fucked up and from most people finding the thought of it repulsive and thus assuming people into it are fucked in the head. And I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that most incest relationships aren't healthy ones. It is by nature wrong. Humans need a certain degree of diversity to breed healthy offspring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom