• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF May Meet up Round 3: Lady Liberty says DAT GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

9LJCF.jpg

GAF meet ups: you never know who's going to show up and who you're going to meet. There's always new and familiar faces at every meet up. Be it famous Gaffers such as our bad ass head honcho EviLore, resident Gears of War fan and dry humper -PXG-, the oh so famous GAF artist Raging Spaniard, denim head jon_bones, and the massively tall, passes-for-a-basketball-player Wellington. Then there are regular members such as myself, jasonng, number47, Mahonay, bob page, smokeymicpot, Mully, and Houston3000. Then there's the unknown junior member/obscure member. There are Gaffers visiting from other countries such as jamieson who hailed from Scotland. And lastly, there are Gaffers visiting from other states such as EviLore who came to NYC fresh off the L.A. GAF meet up from his home state of Texas.

April came and went without a GAF meet up. Well... one extremely small meet up in which Raging Spaniard and I met to go to the Draw-A-Thon that went under the radar because it was a niche event. Drawing alongside Raging Spaniard was a surreal experience I'll admit; it was definitely fun. In the end of the day though, we all needed to take a break from meeting up after March's madness.

That said, May has finally arrived in full swing. You know what that means for NYC: the summer-like weather is coming in hot and fast (pun intended). For many of us college Gaffers, it means that finals are coming up which means the semester's coming to an end. Unfortunately, it also means that Raging Spaniard is going to move to San Francisco towards the end of this month. It's time once again for NYC GAF to assemble in full force.

You see L.A. Gaffer SethC's coming to visit our great and wondrous city, so we're going to show him a jolly good time around our city, make put on his aviator glasses, bite his lower lip and have him say that NYC GAF is DAT GAF. This meet up is also going double as Raging Spaniard's farewell party as well so we'll be sure to make a toast to him and have him draw us some of his signature art. Update: The Spaniard is a go-go baby.

I will be the host for the night and if I don't have any mandatory engagements. Otherwise, bob page and -PXG- will take over for me as coordinators. I'll be making updates to the OP regularly when necessary and making sure that this GAF meet up takes off and flies to all its destinations.

I strongly encourage people who are planning on going to exchange numbers with two other Gaffers via PM, so that they won't post in the thread and wonder where everyone's at. I also strongly encourage people subscribe to the thread to keep track of it for any new posts and the latest updates which again will be posted on the OP.

A Personal note from the OP:

I made this thread with lots of love and care hence why it looks like a Gaming OT. Plus it was fun brushing up my Photoshop skills. Enjoy the OP.

Again, these GAF meet ups have been great social networking opportunities to meet new friends and get to know the people behind the avatars in person. I've met a ton of great people as a result; Gaffers are really cool and humble people in person.

Hopefully, that leads to people hanging outside of the GAF meet ups; just watch out for the occasional creepy folks, and report them to a mod (I'm talking to Girl GAF this point). Be careful who you give your number/Facebook to; after all, we're all still strangers from the internet in the end of the day. But I can assure you that there hasn't been a single creep in any of these GAF meet ups.

These meet ups have not been socially awkward at all. For the record: everyone's been pretty sociable. It's normal to feel nervous when meeting new people so it's cool. Don't worry under 21 NYC Gaffers, there will be a GAF meet up in the future in which you can partake in that doesn't involve bar hopping and flashing ID's.

Also a personal disclaimer: I tend to speak quickly when I'm in a social setting where there's multiple people. Please do not hesitate to tell me to slow down my speech and breathe; I won't get offended at all. In fact, I'll thank you for telling me (I'm being honest here).

Hope to see you soon folks!

CWEvh.gif

Summary of NYC GAF Meet up #0/Meet up #1:
In the first 8 pages of the thread, H.Protagonist came to town thus prompting NYC GAF to assemble including Kisaya and RawPower BannedPower; he hates us all :( as the other guests of honor. The prelude to the first NYC GAF thread of the year, our host of the night was the ever charming jasonng (who was also the host of the first GAF meet up). The major places we we hit that night were Bare Burger,Third and Long,The Continental (a few of us), and Mayahuel.

From page 10 and on, big boss EviLore decided to pop into town for personal matters and appeared in the flesh as the guest of honor for the night along with -PXG-, another guest of honor. The places we hit that night were The Gaf West (appropiately enough), Latitude Grill, the Times Square Earth Cam, McDonald's, and a bar around the corner from the Earth Cam where we ended the night.

This was the biggest turnout for a GAF meet up thus far. It was also the craziest meet up to date because there were many drunken people (including myself) who left a wake of drunken posts. Then this happened which earned -PXG- his current tag and made this thread legendary:

lREF6.gif

Also see this thread by Tashi0106 for Gifs, pics, and reactions to the Earth Cam antics.

Summary of NYC GAF Meet up #2:
Our host of the night was Mully who was unfortunately under age and had to be taken home in a cab courtesy of Raging Spaniard, Houston3000, and Wellington because he was visibly drunk in the bar and got kicked out as a result when the security guard found out that he was a minor. New faces at this meet up included Mahonay, the aforementioned Raging Spaniard (our guest of honor for the night), Pein, jamieson, and Houston3000. Returning veterans included number47 who such a boss in this meet up and kept things under control, jasonng (earlier), lawblob (earlier), myself, and smokeymicpot.

A couple of Gaffers met up a couple of hours earlier to pre-game at Berry Park and a nearby bar in Williamsburg. The places we hit that night were Barcade, Irish Exit, and Opal Lounge. By the end of the night Raging Spaniard became Hammered Spaniard, while we all shaked our groove things and took jello shots at Irish Exit and Opal Lounge. -PXG- would end up showing up towards the end of the meet up at Opal Lounge with Wzong in tow fresh off the Nero Concert.

While nobody got dry humped at the Times Square Earth Cam in this outing because we didn't go, it was still a good time despite it being a smaller scale meet up. Mully had fun at his first GAF meet up for sure. It was a crazy fun meet up albeit, with a different mood/tempo but it went to show that Brooklyn was not a good place for a GAF meet up for many people.

alQC1.jpg

Date: NYC GAF has spoken: the NYC GAF Meet up shall convene on Saturday, May 26th at 8 PM at the Pony Bar (see text below for further details). Plus as an added bonus, the overlord of all the red named overlords, EviLore shall be there in all his 6 foot 3 glory.

Place:
FINAL LOCATION: Central Park (street TBA) for the early birds.

Meanwhile, -PXG- is going to be eating early on before the meet up. Here's the words from the man himself (hit him up if you're interested):
-PXG- said:
I'm thinking about getting grub in the city. Might hit up a Spice before GAF boozin. Lemme know if you want to meetup. PM me.

Then the rest of the group is going meet up at the Pony Bar at 637 10th Ave (45th and 10th near The Gaf) at 8:00PM(!). Almost every train goes to Times Square so you know the deal. Unless you're visiting the city for the first time (it's still super easy to find).

Where we go from there is up to the group to decide, but if any last minute people wish to show up, SUBSCRIBE TO THE THREAD or PM SOMEONE WHO'S GOING'S NUMBER (e.g. mines).

S3enQ.jpg

Note: The people with highlighted in bold with an asterisk (*) are people of interest/guests of honor. Anyone with a (tentative) next to their name means that person might go. Anyone with a strike that has posted in the thread means they're not gonna go.
SethC*
-PXG-
captmcblack
El_Sloth (tentative)
number47 (tentative;Update: said he might go in a PM)
GraveRobberX* (OP's note: Legendary PSN Trophy hunter extraordinaire)
bggrthnjsus
Houston300 (tentative)
Pein
.GqueB.
Revolutionary
Raging Spaniard*
Wzong
gibut
The Last Wizard
bob page
Mahonay
EviLore**
oxrock
TangMeng
FutureFoundation
Angry Fork (OP's note: Get your lazy ass out the house and come have a good time with us boy!)
Penguin
D-Fens (barely posts on GAF)
Jipan (aka me, the OP)
mintylurb
Emily Chu

UPDATES:
THE NYC GAF MAY MEET UP WAS A SMASHING SUCCESS! TL;DR VERSION: I GOT DRUNK AND WAS LATE, SOME OTHER PEOPLE GOT DRUNK. SOMEONE POPPED HIS BAR HOPPING VIRGINITY. WE ALL HAD FUN.

El Sloth

Banned
I'll see if I can make it to this one. No promises!

I'm taking Summer classes and I may have class on those days. Not sure yet.

Jhoan

I added a few more things to the OP such as another Earth Cam gif, edited a few grammatical errors, added a few sentences, added the N, Q, and R trains and added an additional link. I'll update the tentative roster right now. El_Sloth, I hope you can make since we'll be done with finals by Friday; summer classes start on June 4 IIRC, so no excuses man. :p

Honestly, the EviLore humping joke got kind of tiring after the second thread. I was originally gonna give the thread the subtitle "Number 47 is our Lucky number" but decided to stick with that "Lady Liberty says DAT GAF" to support the banner. The comic sans font was used so I could give it comic book style narrative. Anyone's welcome to use the banners for future meet up threads.

Mully

This is why I can't have nice things.

See yall in August. I swear there will be no 4 Lokos. BTW any new comers, don't drink a 4 Loko for the first time in your life during a meetup. It will ruin your night.

Jhoan

This is why I can't have nice things.

See yall in August. I swear there will be no 4 Lokos. BTW any new comers, don't drink a 4 Loko for the first time in your life during a meetup. It will ruin your night.

Yeah 4 Lokos is ridiculously strong. I should know because my brothers bought it once and got super hammered off of it. They said it tasted nasty. Now I know why the City Council ordered the company to modify the drink's ingredients.

I dunno man, I think you should be able to slip into few places down by Alphabet City without being carded. At least to the places that I went to down there with a group of friends several months ago. I don't know much about the places around that area though so maybe someone like Houston3000 or Jason knows of places that don't card in that area.

Otherwise, I'm gonna look into it myself and get back to you on that. On the other hand, I would hate for you to come down only to realize that all the places that we go to check ID's (even though it wouldn't be a total waste of time since we would be able to accommodate).

I updated the OP's roster and added a few small changes.

Mully

Yeah 4 Lokos is ridiculously strong. I should know because my brothers bought it once and got super hammered off of it. They said it tasted nasty. Now I know why the City Council ordered the company to modify the drink's ingredients.

I dunno man, I think you should be able to slip into few places down by Alphabet City without being carded. At least to the places that I went to down there with a group of friends several months ago. I don't know much about the places around that area though so maybe someone like Houston3000 or Jason knows of places that don't card in that area.

Otherwise, I'm gonna look into it myself and get back to you on that. On the other hand, I would hate for you to come down only to realize that all the places that we go to check ID's (even though it wouldn't be a total waste of time since we would be able to accommodate).

I updated the OP's roster and added a few small changes.

I can't come to this one either way. I have work on the 19th, and I'm going away on the 24th. Having said that, I appreciate the thought. If I were able to go, I don't want you guys to have to accommodate everything around an ID situation. I'll have legal fun with all of you when I turn 21 on August 2.

Jhoan

I can't come to this one either way. I have work on the 19th, and I'm going away on the 24th. Having said that, I appreciate the thought. If I were able to go, I don't want you guys to have to accommodate everything around an ID situation. I'll have legal fun with all of you when I turn 21 on August 2.

I see, so be it then. I still don't think it would have been a problem if it was planned carefully. Although I do realize that in order to have fun in the city, one has to be over 21 because that's when the city really begins to open up (like a video game; specifically, a GTA style game).

I addressed the under age concern in the OP; if a GAF meet up is designed with the under 21 crowd in mind in the future, then everyone will be able to go. There are plenty of places and things to do that can easily accessed by everyone such as eat a restaurant in Korea Way or go to a gaming event or something like that (consider these ideas for future events).

Mully

I see, so be it then. I still don't think it would have been a problem if it was planned carefully. Although I do realize that in order to have fun in the city, one has to be over 21 because that's when the city really begins to open up (like a video game; specifically, a GTA style game).

I addressed the under age concern in the OP; if a GAF meet up is designed with the under 21 crowd in mind in the future, then everyone will be able to go. There are plenty of places and things to do that can easily accessed by everyone such as eat a restaurant in Korea Way or go to a gaming event or something like that (consider these ideas for future events).

I'd love a non-alcohol meetup or some type of picnic meetup sometime in the summer. That's a great idea Jipan. I'll start looking at some events that deserve an NYC GAF presence.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I might stop by this time >.>;

Let's Do This!?!

Do I unlock any Trophy for doing this?

Will be bringing my Sorcerer's Beard with me

I may be able to make it again

Tentative at this point... as I've said in the past, planning something more than a week or so in advance is usually hard for me. I'm not seeing any reason why I won't be able to make it though at this point!

Seth C

In Chicago right now but I will see you all there. I'm free for either date but the 26th would give me more time to have settled in to NYC. Afterward I'm off to LA.

Jhoan

I'm keeping track of the votes guys. So far it seems to be that May 26th is in the lead; I count about 4 votes for it, 3 votes for May 19th.

Not to worry folks, there's still another week and half left to vote before a final date is decided. Unless we make two meet ups to please people who can make it only make it on the 19th and still have the meet up on the 26th ala the two GAF meet ups that we had in February where one was small and the other one was big. But I'll let the people speak on that; I'll just hang back in the shadows (or I should say lurk), observe, and quietly update the OP as the list gets bigger and changes.

GraveRobberX needed to get bolded; the legendary trophy hunter is gonna unlock a Platinum trophy: Lady Liberty Believer- Attended an NYC GAF meet up and lived to tell about it to the rest of GAF. We got an interesting bunch of people so far. I seem to recall Arsenic Yellow wanting to attend an NYC GAF meet up with her boyfriend so here it is.

GraveRobberX

One of these NYC GAF meet-ups has to be a movie night or some shit

Let's see if I let myself Drink @_@!

Last time was way back in 1997, I drank 5 Thunderbirds, Drunken Stupor at the age of 17, I was doing body slams on cars, and rolling down hills

Jhoan

^^^Hahaha, seriously? That made me laugh out loud. I can picture a young GraveRobberX tucking and rolling down a hill. But body slamming cars? No way; it's too comical. Drink responsibly like the disclaimer on beer cases says. I decide on an x amount of drinks I'm going to have at a social setting where there's alcohol and manage to make it out fine. Especially since I only drink in certain social occasions despite there being rum and liquor in my house.

Otherwise, I don't like drinking like that even if it's to get drunk. My father is a massive drinker who likes to drink every day. I find the idea of buying a case of beer as part of a grocery to be a waste of money. But I'm not gonna lie when I say that beer plus dinner or pizza is amazing. If there a case a beer in the fridge, I'll down a bottle with dinner.

One of the future GAF meet ups is definitely not going to involve consuming alcohol and bar hopping. I'd like for younger Gaffers to get in on the fun as well. As I told Mully, it has to be planned in advance. Maybe next month's meet up because it should be a lot hotter by then. Or even in July to watch The Dark Knight Rises in a massive group.

GraveRobberX

Believe it

Body Slam in the sense I would get up on random cars and just fall with my whole weight (around 300 lbs back then) onto the roofs of cars, DAT DENT >.>;

I was so fucking stupid, so so stupid

Also be prepared GAF, be prepared, Fear or Revere the Beard?

h93sMm.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I vote for 26th. I'm on a pretty serious diet so depending on whether or not I can hit my goals, I may or may not drink. Still down to have fun though.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Hi GAF. I've just spent the week in New Paltz climbing, and my flight back home to Toronto is Thursday. New Paltz is kinda pointless when it's raining (especially since this hostel (which is nice) has a 10PM curfew), so can anyone on GAF put me up for a night? Never been to NYC before either.

I looked at hotels online and the only thing less than a hundred is in Jersey :(

Jhoan

Well this thread just went down and under; it needs a bump. I'm gonna make an update to the roster; RawPower was recently banned, so I have to remove him from the list.

I would love for Mr.OogieBoogie to come to this meet so I'm gonna see if I PM him as well as a few other NYC Gaffers who haven't noticed this thread yet. The more the merrier as the saying goes.

As for an update on the engagement that I have on the 26th, I don't have to wear a suit so yay to that; it's more of a hang out akin to the GAF meet up.

Anyway, please continue to vote because voting ends on Saturday May 19th at 12AM. Right now the majority is leaning towards May 26th, so I may I just call it in and say May 26.

Thanks for the reminder almost forgot. I can do the 19th but I'm gonna study since my last finals are on Monday and Tuesday. So May 26th is better for me.

Jhoan

Thank you guys; it really means a lot to me. I did PM MrOogieBoogie so I'm hoping he goes. *crosses fingers* I also PM'ed jasonng, number47, and kccitystar, so hopefully they'll appear in this thread shortly.

I still got a few more people to PM before I stop. Mainly, Mahonay, Arsenic_Yellow, and a few other people who went to the previous meet ups. I hope they don't get bothered by it. I really want this meet up to pick up steam before the big day. I'll update the roster/votes now.

Kccitystar

I might be booked to DJ with some friends at the end of the month at a place downtown. GAF invasion?

My body is ready.

-PXG-

It seems that more people are down for the 26th. I'm probably in that lot as well. Got plans with the lady this weekend :)

Next weekend should be perfect. Just pick a time and place and I will be there.

Jhoan

It seems that more people are down for the 26th. I'm probably in that lot as well. Got plans with the lady this weekend :)

Next weekend should be perfect. Just pick a time and place and I will be there.

The lady? Have you got yourself a new girlfriend already (I've been keeping up with your progress)? All right then I'm just gonna call it in right now and make it official:

THE NYC GAF MEET UP SHALL BE ON SATURDAY, MAY 26th. If anyone has any objections, let me and everyone else know by posting responses in with Phoenix Wright gifs (optional, but fun) in this thread. Otherwise, this is final. That is all.
ani-judge-gavel.gif

-PXG-

I remember people saying last time that the meetup should have been in Manhattan like the first one. Zwong and I met up with what was remaining of the meetup after the Nero concert.

I'd like a big turn out, but of course, it is what it is. Keep the thread alive so that others know. I'd like to see ya'll again, plus, new faces as well.

Jhoan

I remember people saying last time that the meetup should have been in Manhattan like the first one. Zwong and I met up with what was remaining of the meetup after the Nero concert.

I'd like a big turn out, but of course, it is what it is. Keep the thread alive so that others know. I'd like to see ya'll again, plus, new faces as well.

*sing songy voice* Someone hasn't been reading the OP. I acknowledged the fact that you and Wizong went to the Nero concert. By the way, Wizong is going to this one as well.

I'm hoping for the same thing myself, hence why I want keep this thread alive and have it build steam. The attendance list is still building; I'm confident that more people will hopefully turn out. I sent out a few PMs to make sure of that (still need to send out a couple of more).

There's still about 1.5 weeks remaining, so I'll remain optimistic and do what I can. You guys can help by PMing other people that you might know that would want to come and building the hype for it by posting in this thread. You'll be doing me a huge favor by ensuring that this meet up happens.

bob page

I vote a bar in the vicinity of Central Park (or just bring some beer to the park) so we can drink and play some football or frisbee or something. Chances are it's gonna be nice out and I rarely get outdoor time nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom