• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what would make the WiiU your go-to console for multiplatform games?

sphinx

the piano man
I remember people wishing for wii ports of current gen games for its good pointer controls and some extra bonus in form of motion based attacks that actually worked like the bow and arrow thing.

let us assume you are blown away this E3 by pikmin and whatever any other 1st party hardcore game that will be readily available when Wii U is released. You play those games and are done with them and while watching the WiiU shelves in stores you notice that indeed, the console is getting all major 3rd party games that PS3/360 are getting.

what would make you consider to "main" the WiiU? Most of my friends would never ever consider switching from their current either PS3 or 360, not because of online but.. just because, like some kind of loyalty. I wonder what would make them change their mind.

What about GAF?

For me, I'd need

.- no shoddy ports, no worse textures or drops in FPS, exactly on par with their current gen counterpart, if not better. Otherwise I'll continue maining the 360 for 3rd party games, no way I risk another PS3 situation.
.- Mandatory WiiU tablet controls, yes mandatory and effective, something that is undeniable proof that the tablet enhances your experience, kinda like it would have been to have Wii HD 3rd party games with pointer controls for shooters last (this) gen.
.- Online is at least on par with Sony's service. yeah, lol.

My go to console for multi platform is PC mainly. I dunno, if FIFA worked well on it, I'd pick it up I suppose. I don't even know if FIFA 13 is a supported title?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
No, there are a lot of unanswered questions about the network, specs and other things. But if I'm satisfied with it, then maybe.

MYE

Provided the multiplats are there and are not shit ports, being the system that plays first party nintendo games would automaticaly make it my go to console.

If the multiplats are terrible, i might have to spend money on a second system sigh

Valnen

Massive SNES-style third party support or bust.

Basically in order for it to be my go to system, it will have to get all the games worth playing.

Somnid

Tablet mode for everything. It'd be excellent to boot up my system and play games without specifically needing my monitor/TV. Late night mode. Bathroom mode. Outdoor mode.

That alone would make it better than anything else.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
For the Wii-U to become my go to for multiplatform games it would have to offer both the best visual experience for the game or a possible gameplay difference that actually matters and doesn't feel tacked on.

Nekobo

At this point nothing. Multiplatform gaming hasn't been ideal for the last couple of Nintendo consoles and I really don't see that changing.

welp, it won't be my go to console for multiplatform games since I just built a brand new PC; nevertheless, if Nintendo wants me to buy a Wii U then they will have to offer HD versions of Wii titles that use the U-Pad instead of the Wii mote.

Online system that is at least parity with PSN/XBL if not greater.

Hardware that will keep it competitive when the new PS/Xbox are released.

alstein

No friend codes, free online, quality selection of fighting games on the console, other two consoles dropping the ball.

Guevara

This

170px-Xbox-360-white-wireless-controller.jpg

Or this:

220px-PlayStation3-DualShock3.jpg

Danny-Boy

Absolutely nothing.

I'll be buying the WiiU but only for exclusives. Love the PS3 controller and hardware too much to give it up.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
For me ..Nothing,Slide sticks just made the Wii U for exclusives only for me,since i really hate them on 3DS(also no real triggers).

so unless there is a change in the sticks and triggers in E3 of final WiiU version then no multiplat games on Wii U for me.

Mr.Fresh

They would have to do a number of things

- Get the multiplat games

- Have better exclusives. (Of all their exclusives I really only care for Mario and Zelda. And While they are fun they are not enough to make the system my main system.)

- Graphics better than PS360.

- Show me that the tablet controller is better than a traditional controller with real games. Not prototypes.

- Online service on par with PSN/XBL.

- My main gaming friends have to get it.

sphinx

the piano man
I was thinking of an scenario where a developer goes with the least common denominator, meaning, not using kinect or tablet or move or anything exclusive to consoles.

for example, I am expecting the sequel to Castlevania:LoS . Assuming Wiiu gets a port and the online remains as irrelevant as with the first game, I can picture myself cheking the back of the WiiU game just to see how would I use the tablet.

if there's some ad saying " use the tablet to throw daggers at medusas!" .. I'd think i'd fall for it :D..

and pretty much that's what I'd do with every game, so if the tablet takes of and works (the real deal, no Wiimote stuff), it might just make me prefer every game on it.

No point, I own a PS3 and a 360, why buy a third system right before Nexgen, where a lot of the first year titles will be superior up ports anyway.

If the game's better or offers more functionality on the Wii U over PS3, then I'll get it on the Wii U.

Not speaking about graphics, but I can see a lot of Wii U games being better than their PC counterparts, solely because the controller functions aren't something that will be replicated on PC, and games will take advantage of it.

This.

I'm sure the Padlet will be fine for Nintendo games, but for multi-platform games? It's going to be a disaster.

Well it has all the same buttons... IIRC it's rumored they'll have L3/R3, too.

evilive7

Banned
Having some kind of third party support after the first year or so of the console.

Honestly, it would take a ton for me to do that. I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games and just dont have much faith in their long term third party support.

A quality online network and all my real life friends buying one and a real controller. Other than that it will be used for Nintendo published single player games... like every other Nintendo system before it.

Well it has all the same buttons... IIRC it's rumored they'll have L3/R3, too.

Those sticks and the general layout just seem worse in every way. The 360 pad is probably the best pad I've used for 3D games (Classic Controller is probably best for 2D) and I don't look at the Pad and think it looks like the superior experience.

Dave Long

Banned
This thread can only end in tears. All everyone wants is more of the same with prettier graphics. Nintendo will not be providing just that, so it's over before it started in that regard.

ZenaxPure

It all comes down to how the tablet controls are handled. Thanks to the DS I've became a huge fan of having interface related items on the bottom screen and if people can pull this off on the Wii U, I would be thrilled.

A great example is Assassin's Creed (since AC3 will probably be on Wii U according to Ubi), I am constantly pulling up the map in those games and it's a hassle going in and out of the menu so often even with a shortcut key. If the map was simply on the tablet at all times and I could fast travel/mark locations on it it would be amazing, enough for me to just buy that version. The more menus handled through touchscreen the better as well.

Top Bottom