• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox going OEM route for next-gen? 3rd party consoles in the making?

Fredrik

I was told the plan was extensively looked at and many at the round table liked the idea and a lot of money has been thrown into further research

This latest rumor from MLiD really throws that out the window
So they’re lost as usual and will try to play catch up.

How hard can it be? Just make living room PCs. Steam and Gamepass on the same slick and silent box is all I want.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I was told the plan was extensively looked at and many at the round table liked the idea and a lot of money has been thrown into further research

This latest rumor from MLiD really throws that out the window
The worst part about this rumor is that it makes too much sense. I can see Intel offering a good deal to Microsoft and I can see Xbox forced to be waiting in part because of the ABK merger. If there is not only no Xbox Pro but also a risk of them being late to next gen? They are dead. Games are always first so they will always have a chance, and COD is there for at least the end of the decade.
Yes it does and I don't believe this to be true, what he said
Mlid and your comments don't really contradict themselves. Mlid simply go further than you and don't make a difference between what info he has and what he believe will happen as a result. Xbox can be looking at hardware choices now and be late to make a contract with AMD, it simply could mean that they will be coming in hot and "tools" will have to be upgraded once this console is out. Mlid often does that mistake I think. I trust you a lot more than Mlid, but he seems to have his intel from AMD when you do from Xbox. Different perspectives on the same subject can leand to different views. Mlid is more often wrong than right and have been debunked more than once about the PS5 Pro, so I don't think it is true too. Just that some part of the story do make sense, and can be true( I can see Xbox looking at Intel, and being "late" whatever that means) while Xbox wanting a early next gen console is still as you have said in the plans.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The worst part about this rumor is that it makes too much sense. I can see Intel offering a good deal to Microsoft and I can see Xbox forced to be waiting in part because of the ABK merger. If there is not only no Xbox Pro but also a risk of them being late to next gen? They are dead. Games are always first so they will always have a chance, and COD is there for at least the end of the decade.

Mlid and your comments don't really contradict themselves. Mlid simply go further than you and don't make a difference between what info he has and what he believe will happen as a result. Xbox can be looking at hardware choices now and be late to make a contract with AMD, it simply could mean that they will be coming in hot and "tools" will have to be upgraded once this console is out. Mlid often does that mistake I think. I trust you a lot more than Mlid, but he seems to have his intel from AMD when you do from Xbox. Different perspectives on the same subject can leand to different views. Mlid is more often wrong than right and have been debunked more than once about the PS5 Pro, so I don't think it is true too. Just that some part of the story do make sense, and can be true( I can see Xbox looking at Intel, and being "late" whatever that means) while Xbox wanting a early next gen console is still as you have said in the plans.
If this is remotely true and MS still has not signed a contract with AMD you are right they are in a whole other level of hurt

I mean its entirely possible I guess what he says is true and its not something I am going to ask about right now as there are some increased tensions atm with certain parties ;)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Hmm on to the topic of nextbox I see this making its rounds

If this is remotely true Xbox is in a world of hurt

Oh boy, here we go...
. Xbox can be looking at hardware choices now and be late to make a contract with AMD, it simply could mean that they will be coming in hot and "tools" will have to be upgraded once this console is out.
Imagine yet another gen for Xbox where The Tools are an issue. lol

Killjoy-NL

If this is remotely true and MS still has not signed a contract with AMD you are right they are in a whole other level of hurt

I mean its entirely possible I guess what he says is true and its not something I am going to ask about right now as there are some increased tensions atm with certain parties ;)
What I don't get, is what they're planning to do now that they are quitting physical sales.

That alone will be a major issue, no matter when they will release a possible next console.
If they release a digital-only console and gamble on GP, they'll continue losing marketshare in the console space.
That's pretty much a dead end, imo.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

Time will tell. I prefer that at least Xbox knows what to do and sometimes I am not sure about even that. We can always have fun speculating but as we have seen even recently lot of jobs depends on Xbox having a way forward that can make sense business wise.
Oh boy, here we go...

Imagine yet another gen for Xbox where The Tools are an issue. lol
Technically Series S/X will be part of it for the next few years at least. So tools would be whatever new they want to put on Direct X and see as important for the future of gaming. A little like PS5 games have sometime better Raytracing because all of Sony reccomended practices are taken but the Series version use a basic implementation. We will still laugh about it but hopefully it is just Mlid being overdramatic and nota real problem for Xbox. No one want them firing thousands of people again because they failed to do their job as executives and plan for next gen as they should.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Imagine yet another gen for Xbox
i know ross GIF

bigdad2007

This didn’t work for 3DO, it didn’t work for Panasonic, and it didn’t work for Valve. A third party game console has never really worked.

It would mean the end of the Xbox brand because more or less it would just be a sticker on a box.

I would argue they have already done a ton of damage to many of their core brands, licensing Xbox itself out would be the end.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't like the idea because of the variability and potential for a constant upgrade cycle that it introduces. It does remind me of when Sega was exiting the hardware business, but pitched this idea as a hail mary of sorts, where they'd put the Dreamcast on a chip and integrate it into DVD Players. Or, I guess, the 3DO and CDi. What a weird time that was.

In any case, it seems like this'd be a really tough sell - there's not much secret sauce to modern consoles, so it's not too far off from just having some random consumer electronics company get into the gaming business, where hardware profitability is nigh nonexistent.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This didn’t work for 3DO, it didn’t work for Panasonic, and it didn’t work for Valve. A third party game console has never really worked.

It would mean the end of the Xbox brand because more or less it would just be a sticker on a box.

I would argue they have already done a ton of damage to many of their core brands, licensing Xbox itself out would be the end.
I'm just curious to see how this will work....when they already failed at this with Win Mo/Windows Phone.

And that was after acquiring Nokia. They were already doing the OEM thing years before and after that acquisition. The only way I see this working is by having.....exclusives....

smile-smirk.gif

XXL

This is looking more and more like every word of this is 100% accurate.

This is nominated for leak of the year, imo.
Excited Oh No GIF

icerock

jCMHYdP.png

That's another box which has been ticked, with tomorrow slated to checkmark the first one. It's about time people start taking this leak seriously. Maybe I should update the OP with this pic.

DragonNCM

Next Xbox will be equivalent in power like Xbox/SS now & you can always get PS56 for hi-end console graphic.
End of storry.......
And I actually like it !!!

Does this really bother people? It's one less console I have to buy if I want one and all my favorite games would be on either PC or Playstation.

Papa_Wisdom

Does this really bother people? It's one less console I have to buy if I want one and all my favorite games would be on either PC or Playstation.
Doesn’t bother me and I’m fully in on Xbox.

I’d still buy future Xbox’s as I like the hardware, like the ui and controller.

I can see the proposition for any current and future Xbox owners with day one gp releases of Microsoft games (even if I don’t have gp myself.

I miss out on PlayStation exclusives but considering the last one I played that i actually enjoyed was the gravity rush games (and to a lesser extent god of war 2018) I don’t feel like im actually missing that much as Sony’s first party really doesn’t do it for me. (The horizon and Spider-Man games bored me to tears)

I have friends who have PlayStations that I can borrow if needs be:

Anything else I play on my middling pc

PlayStation getting ms games 6months to a year after Xbox would be great! Everyone gets to play them if they want, Microsoft makes additional money which they can put into more development and hopefully some games that perhaps didn’t set the world alight on Xbox (hi fi rush) gets sequels green lit which is what we as gamers need.

I bet if you asked any gravity rush or Bloodborne fans if they would take a sequel due to those games selling well on pc or Xbox rather than not because they didn’t they would snap your hand off.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Doesn’t bother me and I’m fully in on Xbox.

I’d still buy future Xbox’s as I like the hardware, like the ui and controller.

I can see the proposition for any current and future Xbox owners with day one gp releases of Microsoft games (even if I don’t have gp myself.

I miss out on PlayStation exclusives but considering the last one I played that o actually enjoyed was the gravity rush games (and to a lesser extent god of war 2018) I don’t feel like it actually missing that much as Sony’s first party really doesn’t do it for me. (The horizon and Spider-Man games bored me to tears)

I have friends who have PlayStations that I can borrow if needs be:

Anything else I play on my middling pc

PlayStation getting ms games 6months to a year after Xbox would be great! Everyone gets to play them if they want, Microsoft makes additional money which they can put into more development and hopefully some games that perhaps didn’t set the world alight on Xbox (hi fi rush) gets sequels green lit which is what we as gamers need.

I bet if you asked any gravity rush or Bloodborne fans if they would take a sequel due to those games selling well on pc or Xbox rather than not because they didn’t they would snap your hand off.
I know a lot of people who will still buy the Xbox hardware and never own a PS because they are not interested in what PS games offer

I know a lot of people who will still buy the Xbox hardware and never own a PS because they are not interested in what PS games offer
I mean, I hear that, but that's an incredibly bias view from the fans. If I had the option to have the opportunity to play both Sony and Microsoft games, I would take it. Spending $500 on a console is so much easier when you have the value and opportunity of being able to play everything.

Papa_Wisdom

I’m one of them, I’ve said before here that I buy PlayStations towards the end of the generation where I can pick up the consoles for like £150 and the games for like 5-10 each

Ps3: I felt like I missed out on loads and really enjoyed catching up with all the exclusives

PS4: not nearly as much as ps3 only maybe 4-5 games I can actually say were stand out from Sony (two of them were gravity rush games and one was a vr game, Astrobot).

Ps5 so far there is literally only Astro Bot and stellar blade that I would like to play. Nothing else on ps5 is of interest to me.

SomeGit

I mean, I hear that, but that's an incredibly bias view from the fans. If I had the option to have the opportunity to play both Sony and Microsoft games, I would take it. Spending $500 on a console is so much easier when you have the value and opportunity of being able to play everything.

Pretty much in the same camp, I like the controlled, love the BC program and like a lot of 1st party titles which is why I'm not in a rush to get rid of my XSX, but if the future is everything 3rd party then a future console purchase is made that much easier for me.

Pretty much in the same camp, I like the controlled, love the BC program and like a lot of 1st party titles which is why I'm not in a rush to get rid of my XSX, but if the future is everything 3rd party then a future console purchase is made that much easier for me.
BC is a fair point and for this reason alone is why I would buy another Microsoft console as I have quite a backlog of games there. If Microsoft gets out of the console business, hopefully, there will be a way to rectify that situation.

Disco Dave

For me, the hardware is not the problem. This is typical Microsoft attempting to fix something that isn't broken.

The games are the issue. What's the point in powerful Xbox hardware when the game is still crippled by Series S?

Focus on games. Get control of the studios. If a game isn't working, have the balls to cancel it, rather than release it and tarnish the IP and brand.

For me, the hardware is not the problem. This is typical Microsoft attempting to fix something that isn't broken.

The games are the issue. What's the point in powerful Xbox hardware when the game is still crippled by Series S?

Focus on games. Get control of the studios. If a game isn't working, have the balls to cancel it, rather than release it and tarnish the IP and brand.

Its the acquisition of talented artists, animators, writers, sound and music people, programmers who want to tell a story through the Lense of a protagonist. That now costs $40 million on the low end and $200 million if you want to make God of War Ragnarok. Talented studios with a vision to express themselves through the medium of video games is hard to come by, which in itself is a topic of its own.

As far as hardware is concerned with Nextbox:

Point 1
They are NOT going to abandon their current Xbox software like how Sony did with PS3. If anything, MS has proven to resurrect and enhance games- my favorite being: Panzer Dragoon Orta 4K. If the NextBox is going through OEM route (which I am hoping they will be) playing your Series X|S and One|OneX|360 on the nextbox is a guarantee through: gamepass, xcloud, and either an external or internal ultra blu ray disk drive (hoping it is external). No way in hell for that to be abandoned.

Point 2:
Besides AMD, if the next box is going through OEM route: Intel, Qualcomm, NVIDIA are damn well going to join the party and offer a series of gaming devices and form factors in both x86 and ARM architecture. Mobile gaming is something I see MS going after, which is something that current gen consoles (besides Nintendo) doesn't offer. Playing games on a mobile device with Windows OS with 5G/Wifi6E-Wifi7 with console like graphics is a big fucking deal. Apple has already teased it with Residents Evil 4 Remake. MS along with their hardware partners are going to fucking nail it.

Point 3:
ARM has gained significant momentum along with AI, MS has now have to address that by updating their software tools, modifying their OS specifically tailored to gaming and taking ARM more seriously. I think MS will streamline game development, reduce costs and time in game development by the assistance of AI and make gaming development more accessible. If everyday people can make apps and put it on apple, google play, and MS store and make content on youtube why cant people make video games the same way?

Point4:
The Xbox branding and marketing was a stepping stone needed to establish the fact and show people that MS is serious about gaming. They have accomplished that, because it's certainly better than apples or googles. It may not be as good as Sony's and Nintendo, but at this point that doesnt matter anymore. I see MS trying to make gaming ubiquitous and eliminating hardware constraints, and "tribalism" of console gaming culture.

Fredrik

How hard can it be? Just make living room PCs. Steam and Gamepass on the same slick and silent box is all I want.
This was Feb 3rd.

Now it’s March 23rd.

Don’t know if I should praise Microsoft or criticize them but I no longer need a new Xbox.

I built a PC for the living room instead. It’s my Xbox Series Pro. Silent, looks nice (imo), plays Xbox and Steam and GOG and Epic games. And now I quite literally have no reason to buy a new Xbox unless they completely change it up to something I can’t do on the PC.

Only thing I want is a way to transfer saves from Gamepass to Steam. If I play something on the Gamepass sub and later decide to buy it I’ll buy it on Steam, and then I currently need to start over from the beginning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom