• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk 4am |OT| - Perform Create Share Live

kassatsu

Banned
4am.jpg
info.png

• Platform: PSN (PlayStation Move Required)
  • Developer: Q-Games
  • Genre: Music Creation
  • Release Date: May 15 (NA) | May 16th (EU)
  • Price: $9.99 — €7.99 — £6.49
  • Demo: Yes/No (Free Viewer to watch others, no performance though)
  • Rating: Everyone
  • Players: 1-2 (or 1 player with 2 Moves)
  • PixelJunk Website

Featuring:
  • PlayStation Move based DJing (190 different sound samples to mix)
  • Visualizers for PS3
  • Live-stream your performance across PSN
  • Tune into others performances and give kudos!
  • sounds by DJ Baiyon

Press:

screens.png

trailers.png

Trailer

Gameplay

reviews.png

Metacritic | Gamerankings

• PSNStores - 5/5
  • PSMania - 9/10
  • PlayStation Lifestyle - 7/10
  • Digital Chumps - 6.2/10

To get the free viewer (US Store):

1. Demos tab
2. New PS3 Demos button
3. First one there is the free viewer called "PixelJunk 4am Demo (Playable Demo)"

Q-Games has a live stream up if you want to listen in from your PC/Mac/Phone

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
Music heads should dig this one A LOT. Can't wait to get my hands on the final version; and hats off to Q Games for doing something truly new with motion control

arena08

Can't wait for this. I shall be picking up a Move soon.

What's the deal with the extra nunchuck for the Move? The starter pack comes with the wand and cam, does 4am need both wand and nunchuck to get the best out of it?

I'm confused - I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

kassatsu

Banned
Can't wait for this. I shall be picking up a Move soon.

What's the deal with the extra nunchuck for the Move? The starter pack comes with the wand and cam, does 4am need both wand and nunchuck to get the best out of it?

I'm confused - I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Move controller only, you can use 2 move controllers at once though.

Diablo who? ;)

Seriously though, really looking forward to getting a chance to play around with this. If it lives up to what I've seen and read then this could definitely be one of the best experiences of the year or even generation. Roll on Wednesday!

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Seems kinda boring to me. Ive seen a few video's and nothing striked me as impressive. Maybe I just dont get it, but to each their own.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
He is composing the track, all the beats, one shots, dsp... all done with move.

The color of the orbs : the layer he is editing (rhythm, bass, synth)

Yeah. And when he's reaching out to the sides, he's actually "catching" those tracks which are located at the 4 corners of a virtual canvas in front of the performer. Then he brings them in the composition by bringing the Move in the middle of the canvas and releasing the trigger. Think drag and drop.

kassatsu

Banned
The sounds are all produced by Baiyon (kyoyo dj and pixeljunk eden collaborator) so they are all in his minimalist style.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Conan move rave.gif

Is it all just minimal techy loops? That's all I've seen so far ...

Love the effects but hoping there's a few more different styles of loops - Some waggle wobble would be nice a la this hacked kinect project a mate of mine did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=325AhauQJCU

You can "waggle wobble" with delay, reverb and various other sound real time alterations you can perform by pushing the controller along the 3 axis or rolling it while holding down the Move button.

The "Random Guy Playing In His Living Room" video (check around 3:20) in the OP can give you an idea I guess.

Bit-Bit

I'm confused by all of the trailers. It looks like Wii Music.

Is there actual gameplay going on or can you just wave like an idiot and still make music?

So is it more like Wii Music or Rock Band?

kassatsu

Banned
I'm confused by all of the trailers. It looks like Wii Music.

Is there actual gameplay going on or can you just wave like an idiot and still make music?

So is it more like Wii Music or Rock Band?

More like Wii Music, except all of your actions make the music. You aren't waggling to a beat, you are dragging in samples tweaking them etc. Nothing like Rockband as it is all freeform.

You can make one shots by waggling though.

HiVision

This can be played without a Move controller right? Cuz I might get it if the price is good.

You can use it as a regular music visualiser without a Move, ie. to use with your regular music in the XMB. The Move performance and broadcasting side of things is naturally disabled.

Top Bottom