• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk 4am |OT| - Perform Create Share Live

Some youtube comments, lol.

"This Game is Lame."

"im confused???"

"is this a joke?"

"what the fuck is this"

Fodder76

I really wish, with the free viewer, there was a mode where you could set it to just continuously seek out people that are currently performing and switch to those, so you essentially have a constantly streaming music service.

That's something that I'd pay for, even though I don't have a Move controller and can't use the software myself.

kassatsu

Banned
I really wish, with the free viewer, there was a mode where you could set it to just continuously seek out people that are currently performing and switch to those, so you essentially have a constantly streaming music service.

That's something that I'd pay for, even though I don't have a Move controller and can't use the software myself.

Leave it on the main menu :)

Really enjoying this game. Sat down and had two back to back hour jam sessions, over 100 kudos for one and over 200 for the second. Holler. Lol

Unfortunately, Diablo III beckons... but I can see myself coming back to this game often.

Nasreddin

Just messed around with 4am for about three hours. I think it's an amazing tool. The instruments are very limited in quantity, but it is surprising to see what you can do with them. At the moment I am watching other guys playing music and they come up with ideas I never imagined. Really stunning. Looking forward to continue playing tomorrow.

HiVision

Yes, as kassatsu says, just leave it on the main menu, every 5-8 minutes it will cycle to another person. If you want to watch them in full without the auto-switching (and give kudos or follow, etc) select "Full Live".

This is really awesome. I had 21 viewers before I stopped to make some dinner. XD

I'll post some impressions when I have a little bit more time with it in a few hours.

kassatsu

Banned
To get the free viewer (US Store):

1. Demos tab
2. New PS3 Demos button
3. First one there is the free viewer called "PixelJunk 4am Demo (Playable Demo)"

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So I just bought this. Why the fuck oh why is there a fucking update to a game that came out today of 269mb... why didn't it just download the whole fucking game to start.

Anyhow.. hopefully soonish I can try it out... kind sucks no Plus discount.. still got Trine 2 and CS:SotN as freebies, not bad.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So I just bought this. Why the fuck oh why is there a fucking update to a game that came out today of 269mb... why didn't it just download the whole fucking game to start.

Anyhow.. hopefully soonish I can try it out... kind sucks no Plus discount.. still got Trine 2 and CS:SotN as freebies, not bad.
I'm not sure how accurate this is but I remember a dev stating that to update files on the Store they would have to resubmit it to the Store team for certification and it would cost them money which is why most devs don't bother updating the store files and why we have to download title updates after downloading a game. With 4am it seems like they took the feedback from the beta and made some last minute changes after they had already submitted the executable to the Store team.

Another lousy thing about the PS3 update system is that it can't do delta updates. So any change in the executable requires the whole thing to be downloaded whenever there's an update which can get really annoying if the executable is large.

kassatsu

Banned
I'm not sure how accurate this is but I remember a dev stating that to update files on the Store they would have to resubmit it to the Store team for certification and it would cost them money which is why most devs don't bother updating the store files and why we have to download title updates after downloading a game. With 4am it seems like they took the feedback from the beta and made some last minute changes after they had already submitted the executable to the Store team.

Another lousy thing about the PS3 update system is that it can't do delta updates. So any change in the executable requires the whole thing to be downloaded whenever there's an update which can get really annoying if the executable is large.

Not true, as my PAYDAY the heist update is 1591mb, the game was over 2gb.

NervousXtian

Very cool.. got about 30 mins in before wife said stop I want to use the TV.

Is there a reset to get back to OG sounds when you've fucked with them a lot using the Move button?

Also, how do you select visual/track.. it seems to be just one choice.

Once you do the tutorial and play a bit another advanced tutorial pops up and let's you select tracks/visuals

EDIT: oh need to tutorial. thnx for clearing that up.

HiVision

This is a little bit of a problem with the process, - we had to submit our changes very close to the mark to make it in time for release (the results of the beta test tweaks) so we could only do it with the patch process which is much faster than a full format check.

HiVision

Very cool.. got about 30 mins in before wife said stop I want to use the TV.

Is there a reset to get back to OG sounds when you've fucked with them a lot using the Move button?

Also, how do you select visual/track.. it seems to be just one choice.

Double-tap the Move button on a track to reset the effects.
Double-tap the trigger button on a track to reset the one shot dubbed loops.
Use select to go to other visualisers/tracks.
double-tap select to go back to the previous visualiser you were in
hold down start to quit a performance without using the menu

NervousXtian

This is a little bit of a problem with the process, - we had to submit our changes very close to the mark to make it in time for release (the results of the beta test tweaks) so we could only do it with the patch process which is much faster than a full format check.

Oh, I didn't really care that much.. it's just one of those PS3 annoyances of updates taking forever.. just wanted to play the game!

Do you work for PJ?

I got lost in 'One Day in Kyoto"for an hour+ set. I got more than 40 kudos and someone messaged me about my mad skillz.
grin.gif

I'm pretty impressed with this. Its a very unique experience, especially once you master the controls and can play track smoothly.

After my hour+ set I managed to unlock two more "worlds" of visualizers, but after playing in both for a little bit I didn't unlock anything so i'm wondering how to unlock new tracks. If you liked Baiyon's Eden soundtrack or a fan of electronica music this is definitely worth checking out.

My favorite visualizer thus far:
The visuals are amazing and screens dont do it justice. (hell, these visualizers should be mandatory on the future PS firmwares) Playing this on a huge TV with a system is an audio/visual feast.

HiVision

Try using the custom music feature with the visualisers too - you don't need a Move and it creates some interesting visualisations because our FFT analysis is very detailed.

PlayStation LifeStyle 7/10

PixelJunk 4am really has no target audience or ideal gamer. Gamers who like music will like it, gamers who like innovative games or unconventional gameplay experiences will like it, and gamers who just want to have fun will like it, too. The game offers stress-free, relaxing gameplay that allows its users to be as creative as they’d like to be. Although PixelJunk 4am may have a lack of traditional game elements, that same lack of traditional game elements is what makes it great and one of the most fascinating and intuitive experiences available for PlayStation Move.

+ A unique, stress-free, music experience like no other

+ Ease of accessibility and enabling the user to create whatever they want without penalty

- Lack of traditional game elements may or may not appeal to some gamers

NervousXtian

Certainly sounded like you cared. Try not to be an asshole.

I cared enough to vent on Gaf after downloading, loading, then re-downloading the whole game. Which means not very much at all.. no end to call me an asshole for bitching about a stupid PSN issue.

This is a very cool app, I hope it sells well and PJ can update it with new tracks in the future.

kassatsu

Banned
Oh in tutorial mode I believe.

Working with Sony to set something up, might be doing something on Friday that people with only the viewer might want to check out
free games

HiVision

I cared enough to vent on Gaf after downloading, loading, then re-downloading the whole game. Which means not very much at all.. no end to call me an asshole for bitching about a stupid PSN issue.

This is a very cool app, I hope it sells well and PJ can update it with new tracks in the future.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it! Day 1 patches are annoying, sorry about that!

kassatsu

Banned
So I have 10 copies of the game to give out tomorrow. Going to do a live-stream with Rowan from Q-Games. Jam for a bit then do a Q/A session where we give them out.

Any prolonged play impressions? Party game? Party favor? Headphones experience?

Q's got such a boss track record, but this seems like a very different direction. In a good way, but just like to hear how people are enjoying the experience.

Listening to the Free Viewer and this is the first thing, only thing actually, that has made me want to get a Move. A bit broke at the moment as I just bought a new apartment but I'll be picking this up. As someone who used to mix it's right up my alley. Loving it.

Dylan, when you kudos someone how do you know it's been done? Would like to see some icon pop up.

Also would like to see the ability to provide feedback to the player, like the listener pressing a button or shaking the controller gives an indication of how they're feeling at that time in the set to the player. Some of the players I'm listening to are creating some really nice tunes or riffs and I'd like to be able to show them I'm enjoying it. Would also be cool as a player to see the crowd response as you are playing, similar to a DJ.

I know this is a Baiyon project but I could see a lot of other artists willing to jump in with DLC. Some other styles would be good too, dub, d&b etc.

Sorc3r3r

I have 5 hours on this now, the decision to buy or not it' pretty easy, you like electronic music? You have a move? Buy.
It's addictive, easy to learn, relaxing and galvanizing at the same time, and to be honest to make bad music is way more hard than make a good one.

HiVision

Listening to the Free Viewer and this is the first thing, only thing actually, that has made me want to get a Move. A bit broke at the moment as I just bought a new apartment but I'll be picking this up. As someone who used to mix it's right up my alley. Loving it.

Dylan, when you kudos someone how do you know it's been done? Would like to see some icon pop up.

Also would like to see the ability to provide feedback to the player, like the listener pressing a button or shaking the controller gives an indication of how they're feeling at that time in the set to the player. Some of the players I'm listening to are creating some really nice tunes or riffs and I'd like to be able to show them I'm enjoying it. Would also be cool as a player to see the crowd response as you are playing, similar to a DJ.

I know this is a Baiyon project but I could see a lot of other artists willing to jump in with DLC. Some other styles would be good too, dub, d&b etc.

When you kudos someone, the green equalizer bars appear and are energetic - if someone else kudos'd then they are grey.

We are looking into other artists too - this is a really unique title I think and I hope it becomes popular.

We are looking into other artists too - this is a really unique title I think and I hope it becomes popular.

This has really got me interested. I can't believe the game was such a bargain, so personally I'd be happy to extend its life buy supporting any DLC that was added.

BeeDog

Bought this yesterday but still haven't had the time to test it out. Hopefully the music is a bit more pumping/proper club-like than the Eden soundtrack!

HiVision

Bought this yesterday but still haven't had the time to test it out. Hopefully the music is a bit more pumping/proper club-like than the Eden soundtrack!

There are all kinds of styles in there, Baiyon's style is late hour (4am!) club music tho, so deep and pumping and minimal :)

I know what you mean, the stuff on Eden was really minimalist but I've heard people making some really pumping tunes that wouldn't be out of place in a club, like stuff you could get lost in. If you have the slightest interest in dance music I think you'll really enjoy it.

Top Bottom