• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome overtakes Internet Explorer as the Web’s most used browser (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Not just for one day, like in March, but in for a whole week!

TheNextWeb said:
Google Chrome has been long expected to leapfrog Microsoft’s Internet Explorer (IE) to take its position as the Web’s most used browser and, according to data from Statcounter, the momentous change of leadership happened last week.

The firm’s latest figures — spotted by Global Nerdy blogger Joey deVilla – show that Chrome’s line of usage creeped to overtake IE’s for the first week ever, with Firefox, Safari and Opera completing the top five respectively.

pDBbr.png

Statcounter’s findings give Google a double win, after the analytics site found that its mobile browser — Android Robot — had leapfrogged Opera to become the most popular option for mobile-based Web surfers in March.

More at the link.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
2 big things I take are IE's finally being legitly chipped away at, and unlike what people would have thought say 5 years ago those people are moving to Chrome and not FireFox.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Are these just desktop installs btw?

Doesn't say, but I wouldn't assume that mobile Chrome has any kind of impact just yet (being limited to Android 4.) The Android stock browser is counted separately (as "Android Robot.")

Enco

Makes sense, it's the best. Sorry Firefox, we had fun for awhile.
Agreed.

For me it went Firefox > Opera > Chrome.

Chrome is the best looking, fastest and has the extensions I want most. It also has a brilliant sync feature. There's nothing any other browser wins at.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So, when's Chrome going to hit >50% and become the dreaded browser to be eliminated?

50% is probably at least two years off. If IE10 really puts up a fight that may slow things down, but since it's tied to Win 8 I'm unsure that'll be the case.

As for it ever becoming a dreaded browser to be eliminated, that'll never happen thanks to auto-update. Which IE still doesn't have, even for 10. YAY, 76 IE'S TO TEST FOR

Ra\/en

I use Both Chrome and Firefox, but I have to admit that I use Chrome 90% of the time now.

Good job Chrome.

Google is taking over the world ;)

jakncoke

Banned
Nice, now get Adobe to fix the flash issue Google or whoever I dont give a fuck. All i know is my shit been wrecked for like 3 days because of Flash being on a period.

ari

Banned
this is simply because chrome is attached to almost every freaking freeware program out there and users usually don't read the fine print when downloading.

What makes chrome better then firefox? IE is a piece of shit, but why would any sane internet person use chrome? seriously i wouldn't mine trying it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Firefox is still better. Even with acceleration enabled Chrome has chunky scrolling. It also doesn't have an equivalent for my favorite extensions.

I was heavily considering switching wholesale to chrome last year, but the firefox memory & speed improvements recently have been pretty impressive, which negates pretty much the only important advantages chrome really had over ff for me.

Good that IE continues to go south though.

Izick

Good. I'm glad more and more people are choosing browsers instead of just being conditioned into using the built-in shit. I hear IE 9 is okay, but too little too late in my book.

SpecX

I only use IE at work when it's required for certain trainings and web-based applications, but I toggle between Chrome and Firefox. Good to see IE finally going down and people embracing superior web browsers.

kharma45

Good. I'm glad more and more people are choosing browsers instead of just being conditioned into using the built-in shit. I hear IE 9 is okay, but too little too late in my book.

Yeah IE9 is pretty good, use it as my back-up browser. Heard good things about IE10 too on Windows 8.

kehs

Banned

What about when chrome becomes the built-in shit?

shymalamadingdong

Cool.. I started using Chrome exclusively on my newest PC.

Still use FireFox on a couple of other machines.

Same shit different skin for the most part. I'm not too plugin-crazy, so both get the job done and then some. Tabs/mouse gestures is about all I need.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Seeing as how they are mostly pulling people away from IE, I wonder how much of this is because of morons letting everything under the sun install a toolbar on IE. Nothing really does that for Chrome yet, so an ignorant person might think IE is bloated.

mollipen

I really wish whatever happened to make Chrome run like crap for me on Mac OS would fix itself (unless it has recently). Last year (I think it was), something happened with Chrome, and it went from running awesomely to becoming horribly slow after a while and affecting my entire system performance. Shame too, because I really like Chrome.

I see the IE6 using old people are finally getting off the internet.

I build internal web based tools for a fortune 50 company...

XP + IE6 is still the most deployed browser.

Changing thankfully.. but.. unfortunately I still have to code everything to support IE 6.

Kind of a nightmare.

I would give anything for IE to be wiped out. If I never had to program for that POS browser and its unending stream of new POS versions it would be a gift.

I build internal web based tools for a fortune 50 company...

XP + IE6 is still the most deployed browser.

Changing thankfully.. but.. unfortunately I still have to code everything to support IE 6.

Kind of a nightmare.

I.E 6!! Good lord man that is a nightmare. I haven't supported 6 in ages.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Safari getting a slow uptick, which is nice. I wish Safari on Win7 wasn't so... unintergrated because I like Safari on OS X but on Win7 is just feels so foreign with that brushed metal.

skasaha

Neo Member
i now have 95 tabs open in opera. the flash plugin in my multiple youtube tabs have been crashing opera somewhat lately. would switching to chrome be desirable for me? :x separate process per tab is cool but not when i have 95 tabs.

and opera shortcuts are boss.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I'm not sure how to take this LOL...

tino said:
More secure than FF. You really can't hack Chrome becuase google pay significant bounty for potential security holes and patch them immediatedly.

Excuse my ignorance, but: More secure in what? Spyware? Exploit/overflows?

Also does Chrome run Battlefield: Play 4 Free (shut up, I know), Heroes, Quake Live since those need plugins and last I checked Q0/Live and P4F's just then started to support non-IE browsers.

MrHicks

Banned
Safari getting a slow uptick, which is nice. I wish Safari on Win7 wasn't so... unintergrated because I like Safari on OS X but on Win7 is just feels so foreign with that brushed metal.

every piece of apple software feels foreign and runs like ass on windows
they gotta be doing this on purpose as apple can hire the greatest devs around

they just don't give a fuck
its a subtle "dont want this to run like ass?.....come over to OSX! it runs great here!"

andthebeatgoeson

Chrome is pretty fast and I got turned off by the memory leaks of Firefox. I won't even look that way. Glad to see Google make some headway. Unfortunately, most places use IE by default for their programs.

I have a program to log in remotely to a hospital website that won't recognize Chrome. Too bad. But if Chrome gets above 50%, people will have to program for it.

The extensions and syncing are a god send. To the cloud, fellas. Now, they just have to have a backup system. I should be able to reload the last 5 changes for the syncs. Make it apart of my Google Drive account. Pain in the ass when you delete ur bookmarks before you sign out of the browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom