• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mega Man 1-6 (I get it... I *finally* get it!)

ghibli99

Hi all,

In advance, sorry this is so long, but I hope it's a good read for Mega Man vets or those who, like me, are still new to the series. :) Also, I know that series ranking and *especially* favorite music are hotly debated topics, so please understand that I do love most of the music in this series, and my selections were the first that came to mind. I'm sure there are better or more popular ones. :)

So with that out of the way...

I've previously written about games that I never quite understood until later in life. Dragon Quest was one of them. That series went from one that just existed in my periphery to one that is now at the top of my all-time favorites list. It's crazy how much I love that series of games now.

Mega Man has been another one that I've only dabbled with over the years, but never really *played*. The first ones I ever tried were Mega Man X on the SNES and Mega Man 8 on the Saturn. I appreciated both for their polish, animation, and sound, but the gameplay just didn't do much for me for whatever reason. I remember getting crushed early on in the Saturn game, and I think I got distracted by Square RPGs on the SNES. Plus all the years of reading about how hard/unforgiving these were. I figured I'd just never play them. There was something there, though... I kept my PS2 disc, bought some on Wii VC, and have MM9 and MM10. Must have been a sign.

Anyway, fast-forward to today. Brashnir's excellent 2012 Backlog Blitz thread has really encouraged me to stop constantly buying new games and instead focus on stuff I've had shelved for years... sometimes decades. I've had some great travels back to 16-bit, 32-bit, and PS2-era titles, but it wasn't until I fired up the first Mega Man last month that I dipped my toes back into the 8-bit pool.

Well, it took some time to get acclimated after repeated ass-kickings, restarts, and "WTF-this-is-so-unfair!" controller-throwing moments, but by the time I was a few games in, it was like the clouds parted and I could hear a choir from the sky... or was that Proto Man's jingle? :)

-----

mm1.jpg

Mega Man 1 -- I decided to start this after beating what I thought was one of the most challenging platformers I'd played in a while: Donkey Kong Country 2. I felt pretty good after 102%'ing it, so I figured I'd ride on the coattails of whatever skills I'd regained and tackle this.

I was humbled rather quickly. :p

It was really rough at first, and that Yellow Devil tested my sanity, but I finally conquered. There were times where I thought it was a bit *too* brutal, but I made it to the end, so it's not impossible. It did give me flashbacks to some of the toughest areas in past NES games, and this installment exhibits a lot of old 8-bit annoyances and restrictions in design, but I thought the overall package was good, especially as the first game in the series. Score: B

Favorite music: Bomb Man, Cut Man, and Elec Man.

-----

mm2.jpg

Mega Man 2 -- I know it's cliche and utterly predictable to say, but seriously, this game is amazing, and is deserving of the praise it receives. Presentation, music, level design, etc. are all so much better than the first game that no wonder it blew people away (and continues to do so). I remember this being a game my friend had that made me so jealous, even when I had my "better" Sega Genesis, and yet, I didn't play it until now.

What's interesting is how they toned down the difficulty for the US release by including a "Normal" setting. That's how I played it, and while it was significantly easier than the first game, it was still quite a challenge for this still blossoming MM player. I have yet to try it on Difficult (the original Japanese setting), but I plan on doing so before too much longer.

But yeah, the music... holy crap, it's good! It's no wonder that MM2 (and MM3) tracks regularly show up very high on "Best NES Song" lists. Score: A

Favorite Music: Metal Man, Wood Man, Intro/Title, and of course, Dr. Wily Stage 1, one of the greatest pieces of 8-bit music ever.

-----

mm3.jpg

Mega Man 3 -- I was pleasantly surprised by this one! There are some really nice improvements in this game and it was definitely a throwback to the difficulty of MM1. It probably wouldn't have been so pronounced had I played MM2 on Difficult, but whatever. I had to walk away from some stages & bosses to regroup myself, but eventually I learned their patterns.

Although folks will say luck has no place in MM games, I *did* get lucky a couple times with unplanned jumps that worked out in my favor, or getting a shot in just a millisecond before the boss' shot would've taken me out. Those moments - like defeating a boss with only 1 tick on your life bar - make victory feel so much sweeter. :)

Music was excellent, and I liked the different style compared to MM2. This game introduced 2 cool things: the "slide" move (pushing down and jump) and your dog, Rush! While MM2 had something kind of like this with the generic Item 1, 2, and 3, Rush is a much better implementation of that idea, giving you a companion through your adventure. So, both this and MM2 were fantastic, but I have to give a slight nod to MM2 just because of what an impression it made on me. Score: A-

Favorite Music: Title (so good!), Top Man, Magnet Man, Get a Weapon, and Dr. Wily Stage 2.

-----

mm4.jpg

Mega Man 4 -- Having been released late in 1991 (well into the 16-bit era), it's cool to see touches of those games in 8-bit titles like this: Presentation took an even bigger step up from MM2, the music is good (although starting to feel derivative), and the animation and little details are superb.

It also introduces one of the series staples, the New Mega Buster, which allows you to charge-up your standard lemon shooter. I think this is used in pretty much every MM games going forward. I would agree with some of the critiques I've read that it diminished the importance (and effectiveness) of the weapons you obtain from the 8 Robot Masters. The cannon is also more convenient and powerful than some of the other weapons, too, so you tend to just default to it and use it instead.

It's interesting to look back and discover that things like this and the slide, which are considered core parts of the overall MM design, didn't exist in the earlier games.

Maybe it was the boss order I took, but I found some parts to be much more difficult than MM3... some real frustrations, but in the end, I was able to defeat them. The game had some cool levels and some story twists throughout, so I enjoyed it, but not quite as much as MM2 and MM3. Score: B

Favorite Music: Pharaoh Man, Dive Man, Skull Man, Dr. Cossack Stage 1 and Staff Roll (both nice nods to MM1 & MM2).

-----

mm5.jpg

Mega Man 5 -- You'd think that after 4 games on one system, they'd start to slide, but I actually found this game to be one of the stronger entries in the series! They also did some crazy-cool stuff, like 16-bit parallax scrolling backgrounds in some of the stages, and color use that also looked very much like early 16-bit games in terms of how much depth and detail they had. Really good stuff.

It also had some awesome level design, like the Gravity Man level, which looks to be a direct influence on Super Mario Galaxy's side-scrolling gravity levels (the ones with the scrolling arrows in the background that dictate which way you'll fall). Very cool that they were still introducing some fresh new things this late in the game. The "driving" level was questionable, though. Too many cheap hits. :p Great music, though. Beat saved my ass a few times, too. :)

Only real "ding" against it is that it was really short, and it felt much easier than 1, 3, and 4. That lack of difficulty also contributed to making it feel shorter due to how little I had to replay... but I could see that being a good thing, too. :) Although it made some passages of the game feel a bit empty (you come to expect enemies when you least expect them in this series, if that makes any sense), that made it easier to really appreciate what they did graphically and musically. My favorite MM game after 2 and 3. Score: B+

Favorite Music: Gravity Man, Wave Man, Napalm Man, and Ending.

-----

mm6.jpg

Mega Man 6 -- This one, more than any other in the series so far, is the one that feels like the team just ran out of steam, and were perhaps frustrated that they weren't working on 16-bit titles (or maybe some were already working on Mega Man X?). Being released in 1993, this came out the year before the Saturn and PlayStation... a full console generation later! Crazy that they were still making good NES games for so long, but in true Capcom fashion, they really milked this series, ending on a rather dull note.

That's not to say that this game is bad. It's still a quality game with some standout music tracks that for some reason brought back memories of the first game. But it just isn't as fresh as the others, and none of the ideas and additions/tweaks are all that memorable. Production-wise, it just felt like a big step down from MM5's cool ideas and tech.

It bugs me that even though it's the most recent one I played, I'm having a hard time remembering anything that stood out in terms of gameplay or level design. So it's stuff like that which diminishes the overall experience and memorability for me. Score: B-

Favorite Music: Plant Man, Tomahawk Man, and Wind Man.

-----

It's been a great journey so far. I do want to play the rest of the series (main series and the X series), but I'm going to take a break. The formula for each game so far has quite literally been the same: Defeat the Robot Masters (8 stages), fight through a fortress or two (4-6 stages), refight the 8 Robot Masters, battle Dr. Wily, and watch what's usually a really short ending and staff scroll. That's not necessarily a negative, though. In some ways, this appeals to me in the same way that the Dragon Quest games do: They don't stray very far from the core mechanics that defined the earlier games. I can respect that feeling of familiarity.

In closing, the Mega Man series is a *lot* of fun to play, and I'm glad that I've finally overcome what has been a longtime gaming intimidation. Bring on the rest!
Hope I'm ready. :p

Thanks to Izick's Mega Man 9 thread. Your post inspired me to finally get off my butt and type up this novel. :)

StAidan

Nice thread.

My introduction to the series was Mega Man 2, around the time it was released. It turned me into a lifelong fan of the NES series, and to a lesser extent the X games that came out on SNES.

I still enjoy the NES games as much as any modern game, with the exception of Mega Man 1. The first game was decent enough for its time, but movement controls and tile collision code just lack a lot of polish that the subsequent entries had. I might be able to live with just the control problems, but there are a number of really frustrating spots where you can land directly on a narrow platform, and then the game shoves Mega Man off to the side and you fall to your death.

Thankfully, the next 5 games had no such issue and I still replay them to this day :)

Glad to hear you've enjoyed the classic NES Mega Man titles so much :D

MM7 and MM8 I don't feel are as difficult as their NES counterparts, minus one part of MM8
JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE
. Once you get to the MMX series difficulty from platforming mostly goes away and challenge more comes from faster/stronger enemies or time limits/objectives (MMX and MMZ series). This is balanced by X's ability to dash and (X3 onwards) Zero's powerful saber.

My introduction to the series was MMX, and I played X1-3 and MM7 and MM8 before going back to the NES games, so I didn't really find the bosses that difficult, challenge came mostly from platforming or the odd wily castle boss that only was weak to 1 specific weapon.

Aeana

The classic Mega Man series used to be my absolute favorite game series. Still is one of them.
I scrolled down to your section on MM5 to see if you were crazy or not. Good, good. I love 5 so much, and people just seem to forget it exists most of the time.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I think 6 is actually really unique. Though 2 is probably the "best" of the original series, I appreciate 1 for its brutal, unforgiving pattern recognition and difficulty, 5 for its totally simple but always unique/distinct levels and relatively easy gameplay, and 6 for its gimmick attachments. 3 and 4 are the weakpoints of the series to me.

Fou-Lu

Classic MM is good, too bad MMX has it beat so handily. We really need some more MMX games as 2D downloadable titles like MM9 and MM10.

Aeana

Classic MM is good, too bad MMX has it beat so handily. We really need some more MMX games as 2D downloadable titles like MM9 and MM10.
Well, they don't have to compete with each other, but I don't even agree. MMX1 is really good, but I don't like any of the other X games. I like the classic series so much more.

Tizoc

Err has anyone even played the JPN ver. of Rockman 2 to see if there are any difference in the difficulties?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm glad you liked MM5. That one was underappreciated back in the day (serious MM sequel fatigue had set in by then.. plus we were 1-2 years into Super Nintendo at that point). It's really easy but really fun, and I love the graphics and music. Kind of the "Kirby's Adventure" of classic MM.

I can't even imagine not liking X2 or X3. :(

I like them... but I don't love them. I really think Megaman 2-5 and X are the top-tier of the oldschool.

OnPoint

Why does everyone think the Yellow Devil is so hard? It takes one to two lives for me to get his pattern down (every two to three years I play it) then I barely get hit. It's really not that difficult.

Ifrit

Why does everyone think the Yellow Devil is so hard? It takes one to two lives for me to get his pattern down (every two to three years I play it) then I barely get hit. It's really not that difficult.

It is not, I've never used the pause trick to beat him. And I can pretty much kill him on my first try on replays (I play MM1 around once a year)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The Yellow Devil is one of the easiest bosses in the series simply because he never deviates from his pattern in the slightest. There's no behavior to learn or any pseudo-random factors to anticipate or react to. Few robot masters are that simple.

Err has anyone even played the JPN ver. of Rockman 2 to see if there are any difference in the difficulties?
If I'm not mistaken, there is no difficulty select in Rockman 2. MM2's "Hard mode" is supposedly equivalent to RM2, and the only thing it changes that I know of is how many hits it takes to defeat the bosses.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Mega Man 2 --

What's interesting is how they toned down the difficulty for the US release by including a "Normal" setting.
My aunt gave me Rockman 2 and an adapter to play it on my NES when it first came out so I had no idea the US version had an easier difficulty setting until a couple of years later.

If I'm not mistaken, there is no difficulty select in Rockman 2. MM2's "Hard mode" is supposedly equivalent to RM2.
That's exactly what it is.

goldenpp72

In terms of my favorites I think I rank them rather oddly, with 3 > 2 > 5 > 6 > 4 > 1, 1 being my least favorite by far. it might have been the first but its brutal difficulty, less bosses, crappy graphics and limited gameplay made it less awesome. 4 introduced a longer more unique content game with the charge gun, but 5 made the charge gun more refined feeling, despite being too easy, is a great GREAT game to replay. 6 I don't get the hate for, it might be sort of tired in some ways, but I loved the addition of the suit combinations and felt the balance of challenge and length were quite strong, not too hard and not too easy. Thankfully Nintendo brought that baby out here as I think it would have stayed gone forever otherwise.

7 is kind of weak but still worth playing, but I find 8 is actually really strong despite the horrific cutscenes and dialog. The graphics are beautiful, music unique and fun, bosses are strong, good gameplay, the people who hate it are the same group who despise mario all stars, on gaf they may be prominent, but in reality most all love it. Heh.

Glad to see that you liked Mega Man 5! So many people dismiss it as one of the worst entries or forget that it even exists, when in reality it's actually one of the best games in the series (and my personal favorite game in the Classic series, actually).

But god, what I wouldn't give to be able to go back and approach these games again for the first time. Mega Man (all of the series) is one of my favorite gaming franchises of all time, and I love them just as much now as I did back when I first played them as a kid and, later, teenager.

It's good that you're taking a break, but definitely do get around to playing the rest of the series. Mega Man 7 in particular is an installment that I feel is heavily underrated, and it never got its fair shake mainly due to the more popular X series at the time (not ragging on the X series, but 7 deserved more props). Mega Man 8 remains my least favorite game in the series (not including Mega Man & Bass), but it still has its merits, and is definitely still an above-average platformer in its own right. Mega Man & Bass... eh, I never really enjoyed it, and the difficulty balance is steered in Bass' favor to ridiculous degrees, but it may be worth investigating if you end up liking Mega Man 8 a lot. Mega Man 9 and 10 are both excellent, though 9 to me felt too much like a retread of 2, while 10 stood out more due to its uniqueness and willingness to experiment and take (relative) risks.

Oh, and if you still haven't gotten enough Mega Man Classic action after playing the main series games, don't write off the Game Boy (Rockman World) titles -- they're excellent, and well worth your time! Well, at least three of them are. Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (the first Game Boy game) is kind of antiquated at this point, and balls-hard, but it's still decently fun. Mega Man II is pretty much trash; Capcom outsourced it to an untested third-party developer and it shows. It's just awful. Mega Man III is really where the Game Boy series starts to get impressive, and Mega Man IV and V *still* stand the test of time as two of the greatest Mega Man Classic titles ever. While I think Mega Man IV is the overall Game Boy series winner, Mega Man V does have the distinction of introducing a completely original set of eight bosses (the only Game Boy title that does so), and of being the only Mega Man Classic title whose final boss is not Dr. Wily! So yeah, don't miss out on the Game Boy titles, or at least the latter three. :)

All in all, it's just great to read about a new fan enjoying such an amazing series!

ghibli99

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone! MaverickHunterAsh: I just saw your response... thanks for the tips, and I loved reading your post! I can tell there's a lot of love for the series there. It's very cool to read about everyone else's experience with these games, too. I'm glad I passed Aeana's sanity test. ;)

As for the Yellow Devil, I guess you have to put yourself in the context of never having played these games before. Understanding the pattern of the blocks flying across the room, the unforgiving collision, having a very small window in order to do any damage, figuring out which weapon does the most damage, and just having the patience to *wait* for him to form is not just a timing test, but a mental test as well. It's sort of like Grandmaster Galaxy in SMG2... when you think about each component, it's not really that hard, but as a whole - and the time/retries it takes - it can take its toll on your mind. :)

The "suits" in MM6 are pretty cool, but I missed seeing Rush, even though the suits gave you additional powers and maneuverability. So maybe I just had a soft spot for that robotic dog, even though in my mind I knew the suits made the gameplay a little better. :) And again, I didn't hate MM6... it's a good game, but it just didn't come across as good as it could have been, especially when I compare it to its direct predecessor.

Comet

One of my favorite series, and one that I take pride in physically owning every title. Glad others are still discovering it and loving it. Mega Man 2 is one of my all time favorites.

Swordian

and the only thing it changes that I know of is how many hits it takes to defeat the bosses.

There are other minor changes. For example:

The barrel stack takes two hits and it collapses forward after the first hit before reassembling.

The shelled enemies where you first enter the water in Bubble Man's stage lose their shells with the first shot and need to be destroyed with a second shot.

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone! MaverickHunterAsh: I just saw your response... thanks for the tips, and I loved reading your post! I can tell there's a lot of love for the series there. It's very cool to read about everyone else's experience with these games, too. I'm glad I passed Aeana's sanity test. ;)

As for the Yellow Devil, I guess you have to put yourself in the context of never having played these games before. Understanding the pattern of the blocks flying across the room, the unforgiving collision, having a very small window in order to do any damage, figuring out which weapon does the most damage, and just having the patience to *wait* for him to form is not just a timing test, but a mental test as well. It's sort of like Grandmaster Galaxy in SMG2... when you think about each component, it's not really that hard, but as a whole - and the time/retries it takes - it can take its toll on your mind. :)

The "suits" in MM6 are pretty cool, but I missed seeing Rush, even though the suits gave you additional powers and maneuverability. So maybe I just had a soft spot for that robotic dog, even though in my mind I knew the suits made the gameplay a little better. :) And again, I didn't hate MM6... it's a good game, but it just didn't come across as good as it could have been, especially when I compare it to its direct predecessor.

Thanks for reading! I actually just edited my post with some recommendations about the Game Boy titles, so don't miss those if you've got the means to play them (you can skip Mega Man II, though)! But yeah, there is a lot of love for the series here, as there should be -- despite the hard times the series has fallen on at present, it really does stand as one of the all-time great platforming series, and Mega Man to me is an endlessly appealing, enjoyable character. As it stands, Mega Man X is actually my favorite character of all time. I literally have unending love for the Mega Man franchise, though it's played host to some pretty terrible games over the years as well.

But yeah, I hope you keep on enjoying the series! :)

dralla

Mega Man 2 is one of the best games ever for sure! I consider 5 to be the worst, which is really disappointing because I feel like they still had some good robot masters in there and they were wasted. MM4 has the most underrated soundtrack, it feels like a sequel to MM2. It's also just a good game. But yea, once they introduced the charge shot the series took a step backwards. 2,3,9,10 will always be the best because they don't have it. 9 is just as good as 2, so you should go play it, like right now.

I also highly recommend this book, it's got a ton of great artwork and commentary and it explains why MM5 was stupid easy
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1897376790/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Another excellent thread. Keep 'em coming-- I love reading them!

I'm a huge Mega Man fan, and started years and years ago when I received Mega Man 4 one fateful Christmas Eve. Since then, I was hooked.

When Mega Man 9 came out, almost ten years since 8, I decided it was finally time to beat every game in the series.

I ended up playing and beating MM1 - 9, Mega Man & Bass, and Power Battles 1 & 2.

I really need to go through the Game Boy games at some point, but since I've already beaten MM3 and MM5 GB, I'm not really in any hurry.

It's refreshing to see people still getting into the Mega Man series, and hopefully someday there'll be more games to play through!

So Mega Man 5 is recommended for the most part then? the MM9 topic got me thinking about downloading it from the VC at some point soon but I wasn't a big fan of MM4 which felt like a big step down from the other entries i've played so i've steered clear in the meantime, plus it arrived close to Mega Man X on the VC over here so that got priority.

Out of the entries in this thread my favourite is Mega Man 3, while 2 comes close I just feel that 3 edges it out in both stages and soundtrack, not weapons (I'll never "get" top spin) and robot master designs though.

I also highly recommend this book, it's got a ton of great artwork and commentary and it explains why MM5 was stupid easy

Picked this up after playing 2 and 3 a few years back, I guess i'll give the Mega Man 5 section a read over, honestly though i'm not opposed to an easier ride for a change.

So Mega Man 5 is recommended for the most part then? the MM9 topic got me thinking about downloading it from the VC at some point soon but I wasn't a big fan of MM4 which felt like a big step down from the other entries i've played so i've steered clear in the meantime, plus it arrived close to Mega Man X on the VC over here so that got priority.

Out of the entries in this thread my favourite is Mega Man 3, while 2 comes close I just feel that 3 edges it out in both stages and soundtrack, not weapons (I'll never "get" top spin) and robot master designs though.

Picked this up after playing 2 and 3 a few years back, I guess i'll give the Mega Man 5 section a read over, honestly though i'm not opposed to an easier ride for a change.

Mega Man 5 is excellent. Its main weakness is that it's just way too easy, almost to the point of being a cakewalk. But other than that, the stages are fun, the boss designs are great, and the music and graphics are some of the best the NES has to offer. Definitely don't pass it up, and ignore the haters!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I could see how it new players could get "not get it" at first if they don't get one or two of the weapons. The game is both bland and difficult at first before you get that first weapon to really let the boss fights go easier and allow you to get creative in the areas before the boss fight.

By the way, what are your guys opinion on looking up boss orders? It always seemed like a big part of the game to find out what order to play in yourself and looking up an order turns a non-linear game into a linear one.

Mega Man 5 is excellent. Its main weakness is that it's just way too easy, almost to the point of being a cakewalk. But other than that, the stages are fun, the boss designs are great, and the music and graphics are some of the best the NES has to offer. Definitely don't pass it up, and ignore the haters!

Then it's going on my VC to do list along with NES Ninja Gaiden which can make up the difficulty difference.

nice, i hope you'll do X series next. X4 is still my fav game from the whole franchise.

Mine too! X4 is almost untouchable. My only beef with it is that it was released during the Dark Ages of English video game dubbing, so they re-used Mega Man's voice actress from Mega Man 8 for X in X4... which is not at all how he should sound and prevents him from coming off as the badass he really is.

ghibli99

Thanks for reading! I actually just edited my post with some recommendations about the Game Boy titles, so don't miss those if you've got the means to play them (you can skip Mega Man II, though)! But yeah, there is a lot of love for the series here, as there should be -- despite the hard times the series has fallen on at present, it really does stand as one of the all-time great platforming series, and Mega Man to me is an endlessly appealing, enjoyable character. As it stands, Mega Man X is actually my favorite character of all time. I literally have unending love for the Mega Man franchise, though it's played host to some pretty terrible games over the years as well.

But yeah, I hope you keep on enjoying the series! :)
I'm sure I will! When a series clicks, I get all sorts of excited when it's a longer-running one. It helps me build my skills, gaming lexicon, general series knowledge, and now I can be an active participant in other MM-related threads. :)

There's a part of me that does regret not playing these games when I was younger, back when I had more time to devote to single games for weeks - if not months - at a time. There are many games from the 80s and 90s that are burned into me because of all the time I put into them. In that sense, I feel like my memories of these games individually may fade, but hey, all the more incentive to replay them from time to time, right?

And thanks for the GB game recommendations!

Thanks so much for the book link. It has been ordered!

Another excellent thread. Keep 'em coming-- I love reading them!

It's refreshing to see people still getting into the Mega Man series, and hopefully someday there'll be more games to play through!
Thanks for the kind words. I had fun writing it and thinking back to all the things I enjoyed with these. I forgot to mention a few key things here and there, but I think those will come out with continued discussion. It's neat to see all the different opinions on favorites and least favorites.

Oh damn, yeah... Stone Man. Told you I likely missed something. :)

Mega Man 2 is one of the best games ever for sure! I consider 5 to be the worst, which is really disappointing because I feel like they still had some good robot masters in there and they were wasted. MM4 has the most underrated soundtrack, it feels like a sequel to MM2. It's also just a good game. But yea, once they introduced the charge shot the series took a step backwards. 2,3,9,10 will always be the best because they don't have it. 9 is just as good as 2, so you should go play it, like right now.

Hey, I recommend that book too! And not at all because I'm UDON's Associate Editor and did the editing for that book. ;)

ghibli99

^^^ Nice!

By the way, what are your guys opinion on looking up boss orders? It always seemed like a big part of the game to find out what order to play in yourself and looking up an order turns a non-linear game into a linear one.
I didn't look up boss orders beforehand, but I did after I finished each one to chuckle about how completely off I was sometimes. LOL

There were some obvious "elemental" connections that helped guide my selections, but for the most part, I just went round-robin. My friends who were more familiar with these games said I was nuts for doing it that way. I'm still having nightmares about Skull Man, Gemini Man, and Needle Man... I distinctly remember them ripping me several new ones. :p

One thing about MM3: I didn't like that I had to fight the Robot Masters 3 times, although I liked the remixed areas later in the game, which helped alleviate that "recycled" feeling.

And I did curse out loud when this guy showed up. ;) Thankfully, it wasn't nearly as frustrating as the first one was!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
After going through 7&8 (or not; it's up to you) and 9&10, you should try out X. But go through 9&10, because I want to see what you have to say about them. Good writeups. :)

Megaman 2 was one of the first games that got me into playing videogames because I loved the overall presentation of the thing. I sucked at it, sure, but I loved how it looked and sounded so much.

Megaman 5 is indeed good (it looked good and played good), albeit a bit easy. They had a new supervisor and they didn't want to make the game really hard as a result of new supervision. Plus I guess they wanted to make stronger weapons, too. A lot of this is in the Complete Works, as pointed out before. Pick it up if you end up liking the series in general, because it's very nicely put together.

ghibli99 said:
Music was excellent, and I liked the different style compared to MM2. This game introduced 2 cool things: the "slide" move (pushing down and jump) and your dog, Rush!
And they made the game and its platforming more interesting and fluid. I love Megaman 2, but Megaman 3 really felt good.

Oemenia

Banned
If you loved the first three, which are by far the best in the series, then get round to Mega Man: The Wily Wars.

Its a remake for the Mega Drive of the first three games. The graphics as you can expect get a nice bump and the music is redone using the system superior abilities, you might end up preferring the original music but the new stuff is good too.

Its going to cost you a lot, but its also a must for MM fans (you can just sell it on later if you dont want to keep it).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well... back then I didn't have the means to look up boss orders, unless I tracked down an old magazine or asked an older cousin for help. I don't have a problem with anyone doing it, but part of the fun for me was seeing what I could and couldn't do with the current arsenal I had.

ghibli99

After going through 7&8 (or not; it's up to you) and 9&10, you should try out X. But go through 9&10, because I want to see what you have to say about them. Good writeups. :)
Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking of playing 9 and 10 first and then going back to 7 and 8, but we'll see. While I did say I was going to take a break, there's a part of me that wants to keep going - at least with the mainline games - since I have a good rhythm going. Hopefully my wife will be able to deal with 2 more 8-bit soundtracks. She is not a fan of the blips and beeps, unfortunately! ;)

If you loved the first three, which are by far the best in the series, then get round to Mega Man: The Wily Wars.
Sounds really cool, but I'm already on the hunt for a nice copy of EarthBound, which is already gonna set me back a lot once I find the right one. :)

Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking of playing 9 and 10 first and then going back to 7 and 8, but we'll see. While I did say I was going to take a break, there's a part of me that wants to keep going - at least with the mainline games - since I have a good rhythm going. Hopefully my wife will be able to deal with 2 more 8-bit soundtracks. She is not a fan of the blips and beeps, unfortunately! ;)

Sounds really cool, but I'm already on the hunt for a nice copy of EarthBound, which is already gonna set me back a lot once I find the right one. :)

I would recommend just forging ahead and playing the main games in order, and not skipping to 9 and 10 first. This is mainly because of a great bit in Mega Man 9's ending that will be much more rewarding for you if you've played Mega Man 7 and 8 (and Mega Man & Bass, if you can) first.

Also, if you decide to buy Mega Man 10's DLC, you won't know who the third playable character is if you haven't already played at least Mega Man 7.

Sorry to hear that your wife isn't a fan of the 8-bit soundtracks -- that seems inconceivable! :)

Nice write up, it's good to see the franchise can still get new fans after all these years.

Yeah, but don't forget &Bass too. It might not be the best, hell, some may rank it near the bottom of the Classic series, but it's still pretty decent (I'm not sure if I like the whole "branching paths" thing it does instead of actually being able to select all bosses thing it does though).

Well... back then I didn't have the means to look up boss orders, unless I tracked down an old magazine or asked an older cousin for help. I don't have a problem with anyone doing it, but part of the fun for me was seeing what I could and couldn't do with the current arsenal I had.

It's definitely something that improves the experience, boss orders are not something that should be spoiled.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
First half of the NES series is a lot harder then the second half. Three is sort of the tipping point because while it has the hard as balls Doc Robot stages it's also the game that allows you to majorly stock up on E-Tanks.

I used to not really like 5 and 6 until I really sat down and played them multiple times. 5 might be overly generous on the 1ups, introduce Beat as an unstoppable killing machine and has generally underwhelming bosses but the game's charm lies in the near pitch perfect platforming it has.

6 is interesting because it is an 8 bit game clearly designed in a 16 bit world. Hell they'd been brushing up with the new era since 4 as was mentioned in the OP but MM6 is an interesting fusion of old and new. Some of the levels practically beg you to come back with the super adapter and see what you can do with it.

This philosophy carries over to 7 which besides a few missteps (Mega Man feels too tall, the sound design isn't great and no one likes the 4 bosses on 4 off thing.) is also a decent game. That game has some awesome Wily Stage boss fights.

I came to video games a little late and so while everybody else were playing on their Mega Drives and SNESes, I was just discovering the NES. One of the games I first played was Mega Man 6 and that has remained my favourite Mega Man since (though X is a close second).

Was blown away many, many years later when I discovered it wasn't even the best Mega Man.

This philosophy carries over to 7 which besides a few missteps (Mega Man feels too tall, the sound design isn't great and no one likes the 4 bosses on 4 off thing.) is also a decent game. That game has some awesome Wily Stage boss fights.

There is a code in MM7 that allows you to start with all 8 bosses already unlocked, in the end you'll still probably play though them in the same order because the game was designed around 4 and 4 but it's an option.

linkboy

I don't remember when I first played a Mega Man game, but all I know is that I fell in love with the series as a kid.

Mega Man 2 is, and will remain, one of my all time favorite video games. IMO, its about as close to a perfect game as you can get (the only issue is the metal blades are uber powerful).

Johnas

ghibli, glad you're enjoying MM so much. Pretty timely topic for me, as I've been playing a lot of MM the past few weeks. Played/finished X2 and X3 for the first time, and just two days ago went through MM5 and MM6 again.

My history with the franchise is a little sporadic, my first game was the original MM, shortly after release, but I found it really hard as a kid. I actually didn't ever finish the game for the first time until a few years ago. My best friend owned MM2, so I used to play his copy a lot, it was such a gigantic leap in quality over the first game. Not that 1 was a bad game, but 2 was just so much more creative (and colorful).

The first MM game I actually owned was 3, I got it at Christmas the year it released, and spent every possible free moment Christmas Day playing it. Still my favorite MM game of all.

I got 4 when it released, and loved it. I see people on here make fun of it and dismiss it, and I don't agree at all. It wasn't on the same level of quality as 2 or 3, but I really love the diversity of the robot masters (Skull, Pharaoh and Ring come to mind).

I personally feel that MM5 is overrated. When I replayed it two days ago, it was the first time in years (I couldn't even remember all the robot masters prior to my replay) and I finished it easily without using a single robot weapon, and no energy tanks. Just way too easy.

MM6 I unfortunately ignored until I bought a copy of the MM Collection a few years ago. I was expecting to not enjoy myself much at all with the game, but I found it pretty high quality (I liked my replay of it more than 5). One thing that jumps out at me is how gaudy the color scheme is, way too much pink and orange (in what seems like an obvious attempt to try to distinguish itself visually from the other entries). Great Wily stages that offer a fair challenge. The rest of the game is a bit too easy, but I like the bosses (Centaur Man is awesome).

I know you're planning on it, but please make sure you play 9 and 10 sometime soon. MM9 is absolutely fantastic, and 10 is no slouch either, but not quite as stellar. Just last week I finished MM7 for the first time. I have barely played MM8, I can't stomach the presentation. Maybe I'll man up and try it again when you play through it.

If you're not burned out afterwards, do check out the MMX games (well, the first three anyway).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There is a code in MM7 that allows you to start with all 8 bosses already unlocked, in the end you'll still probably play though them in the same order because the game was designed around 4 and 4 but it's an option.

Nah the game isn't really designed around the four and four if you look at what the bosses are really weak to. It's just this weird kick from the GB games that eventually hit the main series in a big way.

The bosses themselves also fit the X pattern where their weaknesses don't do a ton more damage to them but do knock out their weapons or get them into patterns or force longer hit stuns.

The classic Mega Man series used to be my absolute favorite game series. Still is one of them.
I scrolled down to your section on MM5 to see if you were crazy or not. Good, good. I love 5 so much, and people just seem to forget it exists most of the time.

Count me in the 5 lovers camp. I know it's easy compared to most of them, but it's also very balanced, has great music and level design and is just a joy to play. In fact, the very reasons I enjoy 5 are the reasons I dislike 3 compared to most people: it's a very uneven challenge, the music isn't that great, the levels are pretty boring and padded and it just feels like a chore at times.

To me, if anyone plays the classics on NES, it's gotta be at least 2 and 5.

one_kill

One of the first games I owned and finished was Mega Man 4. I then moved on to 5 and 6.

4 remains my most memorable Mega Man experience. As a kid, I felt accomplished when I figured out how to beat the bosses by myself. I always started with Toad Man and then Bright Man. My favourite is Pharaoh Man.

Top Bottom