• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mega Man 1-6 (I get it... I *finally* get it!)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MMAC is a lazy ass version of the games. Terribly bad compilation that even Backbone would be ashamed of.

However you really can't beat it for price.

Wii's VC has the best versions of the game, but they're only up to MM5. They never got around to 6 and 7.

Red

The original Mega Man is okay, but I would say the main reason for playing it is to see how much Mega Man 2 improved the series. No other two consecutive titles in the series have a gap im quality like that.

I would say X1-3 are also worth playing, and even X4-6 are alright... the games get sort of bogged down by taking themselves too seriously and continuing a bad mythology, but the stages and bosses remain fun. Capcom has a tendency to overload their games as time goes on, which is too bad since "pure" Mega Man gameplay is so good.

The Zero titles do much better than the later X-series, and I would say each of them is worth playing.

Don't ignore MM9 or 10! They are both great.

Sciz

[*]Mega Man is HUGE. He seems at least twice as big, which I could see being a potential problem with platforming and avoiding getting hit (not to mention what they can fit on screen in terms of viewable parts of a level).

[*]Music, perhaps due to the nature of the SNES sound chip, sounds really muted. I already miss the NES tracks. :(
[/LIST]
These are both considerable problems with the game, yes. MM7 has a lot of great design that's hampered by mechanical issues, which is why everyone loves the demake so much, since it feels exactly like 1-6.

MM8 got the mechanics down better but in turn has design issues. Mega Man & Bass turned out much more like the game you'd expect MM8 to be, but the original SNES version never made it out of Japan and the GBA port suffers from a lower resolution and viewing area.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The original Mega Man is okay, but I would say the main reason for playing it is to see how much Mega Man 2 improved the series. No other two consecutive titles in the series have a gap im quality like that.

I would say X1-3 are also worth playing, and even X4-6 are alright... the games get sort of bogged down by taking themselves too seriously and continuing a bad mythology, but the stages and bosses remain fun. Capcom has a tendency to overload their games as time goes on, which is too bad since "pure" Mega Man gameplay is so good.

The Zero titles do much better than the later X-series, and I would say each of them is worth playing.

Don't ignore MM9 or 10! They are both great.

Exactly my opinion on everything.

Mega Man 9 is my favorite Mega Man. I feel like they took everything that made MM2 awesome and turned it up to 11.

Mega Man & Bass is the worst. :/

Do not play any X games after X3.

goldenpp72

Mega Man 9 is my favorite Mega Man. I feel like they took everything that made MM2 awesome and turned it up to 11.

Mega Man & Bass is the worst. :/

Do not play any X games after X3.

Anyone who denounces MMX4 has an invalid opinion, it simply can't be. It might not be the best megaman game, but playing as zero in that game is euphoric, easily the best MM game in the series for me, after X4 the series takes a hit with a decent X5, and then goes to shit after.

Yesterday I beat MM2 for the first time in my life. I must have rented that game 10 times when I was 4-6 years old. Just finally took the time to learn the levels and bosses for the wiley levels.

Next up is MM3.

So i've started on Mega Man 5, not sure what to think so far but my thoughts on the stages I played.

Gravity Man: his facial expression on the select screen was just asking for me to come in and wipe it clean off, I picked a pretty fun stage to start off with as the stages gimmick is pretty cool and not what I would expect from an NES game for whatever reason.
Gravity Man himself on the other hand kicked my ass 3 times before it finally clicked as to how the hell I was supposed to effectively hit the guy, humorously I had my first ever double ko in a robot master fight due to an unfortunately placed gravity flip.

Star Man: I'm not fond of this stage, it uses quite possibly my most disdained Mega Man stage idea for like the entire outing, that is the instant death spiked ceilings everywhere with high jumping, and those jetpack metools can bugger right off, they just swarm you. Star Man got beaten first time despite me strolling into the fight near death, he did try to cheese me before the final hit by shielding up only to jump around 3 times without throwing it in a situation where I was trapped against the right wall, by all accounts I should've died but I lucked out for a change.

Charge Man: I can't tell if his design is great or awful. Now the stage itself taking place on a train pleases me greatly but the actual stage content is very bland, it's like an excess amount of Metool Train enemies for the most part. Charge Man seems to be in the lead as my most feared boss so far, the game had a few slowdown moments and got a bit iffy on the charging of the mega buster during this one, yes there was quite a bit of grief from this battle as Charge Man hangs over you like you owe him money and he's not leaving until he gets it back, took me a while to notice the exact set up criteria for his charge attack to initiate as well.

Gyro Man: A more platforming focused stage which is always good, I must stress that this game seems to love irritatingly placed flying enemies that buzz around you like Moths if Mega Man were a Mega Flame, i've come across 3 varieties now each with their own little quirks, all of them annoying and two of them reside here. But that aside this stage was a big step up off the previous two, discovered that the gravity hold was very useful for the bit with the falling platforms (or you can just use that arrow thing).
Now if there's one reason I don't like using different weapons on my way through a stage for the first time it's on the off chance the boss is weak to the weapon I have low ammo for so typically it turns out that Gyro man can't take the gravity hold and even worse I walked in the fight half dead, usually upon discovering a weakness i'd try to fight with the mega buster first if I wasn't at full health as to increase my odds of winning by retrying with full health and with ammo leftover. Stupidly I broke my own creed and was left in that ever so aggravating moment where I ran out of ammo to fire the killing Gravity hold shot and with me on my last legs as well, yeah he got me in this crucial moment and this led to some not so fun mega buster battles as I cursed my ammo based blunder.

Collectables: I haven't seen any types of energy tanks at all, i've got all the letters so far whatever they are needed for.

Current thoughts: It's not bad so far but not that great either, nothing has really jumped out at me outside of the stage flipping Gravity Man stage and the PAL versions slowdown and flicker issues with these games bug me more and more. (it's all MM9 and 10's fault for running buttery smooth), also not helped by the fact that i'd also been playing NES Ninja Gaiden alongside MM5 which is the NTSC version and it runs incredibly smoothly by comparison.
Just for kicks you people should check out the PAL Mega Man 2 and witness how slow the music is.
Anyway i'll get round to the next 4 robot masters soon and i'll see if their stages fare any better.

KevinCow

Banned
Mega Man 5 is like the epitome of a middle of the ground Mega Man game. It's inoffensive in all manners, but doesn't really stand out in any way. It's by far the easiest game in the series, but it's still pretty fun. Most of the music is pretty average, stuff you'll bob your head to while playing but probably won't remember when you're done, but that's a huge step up from the offensively bad MM4 soundtrack. Though as an exception, Wave Man's tune is one of the best in the series.

Charge Man is one of my favorite robot masters. Some people might say his design is stupid, but I say that's exactly why he's amazing. It's ridiculous, but not overly complex like many of the MM6 robot masters. He's just a dude with a train for a head. It's just a shame his weapon's so damn useless.

I really think MM5 and 6 get a bad rap. The formula may have been stale after 6 years in a row, but they both execute the formula perfectly fine, and refine some of the more annoying aspects of previous games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I actually played 5 last night because of this thread and as a wind down to an eventful day.

Great levels but man are the weapons useless. Only good one is Gyro mans!

Mega Man 5 is like the epitome of a middle of the ground Mega Man game. It's inoffensive in all manners, but doesn't really stand out in any way. It's by far the easiest game in the series, but it's still pretty fun. Most of the music is pretty average, stuff you'll bob your head to while playing but probably won't remember when you're done, but that's a huge step up from the offensively bad MM4 soundtrack. Though as an exception, Wave Man's tune is one of the best in the series.

Charge Man is one of my favorite robot masters. Some people might say his design is stupid, but I say that's exactly why he's amazing. It's ridiculous, but not overly complex like many of the MM6 robot masters. He's just a dude with a train for a head. It's just a shame his weapon's so damn useless.

I really think MM5 and 6 get a bad rap. The formula may have been stale after 6 years in a row, but they both execute the formula perfectly fine, and refine some of the more annoying aspects of previous games.
Charge kick was quite the letdown, I was expecting some kind of charging dash of death and destruction but yeah that isn't quite the case.
Music wise it's as you say, when playing I enjoyed some of it but I don't remember much yet, but i've liked it more than what I heard in MM4 (though Dive and Bright Man weren't too bad and Cossack 3-4 is actually fantastic)

I actually played 5 last night because of this thread and as a wind down to an eventful day.

Great levels but man are the weapons useless. Only good one is Gyro mans!
I don't know, Gravity Hold seems pretty damn broken at times, it's like having a win button that wipes enemies off the screen.

I think Mega Man 4 has the best soundtrack after 2 and 3 of the originals. Skull Man, Dive Man, and Pharoah Man are all great tunes, and Dust Man and Drill Man aren't too shabby either. Plus I love the Cossack stage themes, and the final Willy boss music is actually my favorite of the series.

Of course, I may hold it in higher regard simply because it was the first Mega Man game I played as a kid. Skull Man holds the spot as the first Robot Master I ever beat. I still think Mega Man 2 and 3 are superior, but 4 is definitely #3 for me in the classic Mega Man list.

EDIT:
thats just wrong. 3 improved on 2 in nearly every way. although i can understand liking 2 more than 3, but ranking it lower than 4 and 5?

3 > 2 > 6 > 1 > 5 > 4

I'll agree with you on 3 and 2 being the top two games, but 4 last? meh.

3 > 2 > 4 > 5 > 1 > 6

I'll agree with you on 3 and 2 being the top two games, but 4 last? meh.

3 > 2 > 4 > 5 > 1 > 6
4 and 5 is a toss-up for me. they're about equal, but one of them has to go last. 1 ranks higher for me strictly because of nostalgia purposes even though it's the game i enjoy the least replaying.

Don't forget about Megaman Powered Up, the arranged mode is like Megaman 1.5 and pretty much paved the way for how they were going to design Megaman 9.

4 and 5 is a toss-up for me. they're about equal, but one of them has to go last. 1 ranks higher for me strictly because of nostalgia purposes even though it's the game i enjoy the least replaying.

See, 1 was actually the last of the original 6 games that I played (I had to scrounge up a used copy after lots of seraching) so I don't have the nostalgia problem. After playing the rest, the gameplay was slightly dated and fuck Ice Man's stage.

9 > 2 > 6 > 5 > 3 > 10 > 4 > 1

I don't get how anyone could put 4 above anything but 1.

If we're adding 9 & 10, my order would go 3 > 2 > (9) > 4 > 5 > (10) > 1 > 6

9's above 4, simply because I'll admit 4 had a few poor weapons and some terrible level design (hellooooo Ring Man) and 9 is superior in both those aspects. However I liked the music and bosses more from 4.

daevv

Reading through this thread has made me bust out my NES tonight. I have MM2, 3, and 4 for it. Gonna play through 2 first. I also have Duck Tales that I want to replay as well!

2's just awesome! I even bought it for iphone just to play the intro music every now and then. The game on ios is unplayable though.

goldenpp72

I'd like to throw in that I tried that MM7 nes thing, and aside not being able to figure out if you can quick select weapons, it seems pretty awesome and much more fun than MM10, heh. Cool project, took me awhile to get a controller to work with it.

I like them... but I don't love them. I really think Megaman 2-5 and X are the top-tier of the oldschool.
I agree wholeheartedly: I've been saying this to my brother for years. (I don't really enjoy the first MM to be honest, even though it was my introduction to the series in '88 after a friend sold it to me for $20.)

P.S. I must say that I have developed a soft spot for MM 7 (after my initial disinterest): the music has most certainly something to do with it - it's simply amazing.

ghibli99

I always worry that conversations about game rankings will get out of control, but I guess that just goes to show just how passionate and important some of these games (and this series in general) are to folks. :)

I'm having a bit of a hard time getting into MM7. Not sure if it's just me, but it seems like enemies take way too many shots to destroy. Maybe they were trying to make them feel more like mid-bosses, but it kind of kills your momentum. Still not feeling the soundtrack, though, but hopefully it clicks soon!

Aeana

I always worry that conversations about game rankings will get out of control, but I guess that just goes to show just how passionate and important some of these games (and this series in general) are to folks. :)

I'm having a bit of a hard time getting into MM7. Not sure if it's just me, but it seems like enemies take way too many shots to destroy. Maybe they were trying to make them feel more like mid-bosses, but it kind of kills your momentum. Still not feeling the soundtrack, though, but hopefully it clicks soon!
Man, MM7 has one of my favorite soundtracks in the series. It's soo, so great.
Make sure to give the NES remake a shot too though.

ghibli99

Don't forget about Megaman Powered Up, the arranged mode is like Megaman 1.5 and pretty much paved the way for how they were going to design Megaman 9.
I forgot I had this and MHX! I remember what a big deal they were leading up to release 6 years ago. Bought both of them, but admittedly, I did quite poorly on both. Felt like I needed to support them, though, even though I had little connection to the series. Folks were really rallying behind them, though... sort of like GripShift PSP around the same time. I'll definitely dust of MMPU this weekend just to see... and maybe finish. :)

leroidys

9 > 2 > 6 > 5 > 3 > 10 > 4 > 1

I don't get how anyone could put 4 above anything but 1.

Terrorist fist bump

Four is probably the title I have the most nostalgia for, as I would play that and TMNT on my cousins NES whenever we visited, but even the strong nostalgia can't hide what an awful game it is in comparison to the others.

Anyway, ranking time! I think mine has changed slightly since last time.

9>
3>2>5
>10
>6
>7>8
4>1
>MMB

This is getting hard to do. I like 6, 5 and 10 a lot, but none of them really stand head and shoulders above the others.

Its the curse of the charged shot and buster upgrades.

ghibli99

leroidys

The amount of hits enemies take? His charge-up also seems to take a lot longer in MM7 to get going.

I noticed a couple of non-Japanese names in MM6 when they were going through all the designers of the Robot Masters. Were those a result of fan-made design submissions?

I just mean that in general after the charge shot was introduced, it allowed them to get lazier with enemies. SHOOT THEM A LOT often seems substituted for particular weapon weaknesses.

Boogiepop

My favorite thing that I found out recently in regards to the whole fan-submissions-becoming-robot-masters thing is that the artist for Eyeshield 21 apparently was responsible for Dust Man and Crystal Man as a kid.

Negator

No you messed it up.

X4, while easily the best PSX era MM game, is the beginning of the end of that series. It's a decent prototype for MMZ though.

Oh come on, X4 was a fantastic game. If anything, it was X5 that plunged the series into mediocrity.

I just mean that in general after the charge shot was introduced, it allowed them to get lazier with enemies. SHOOT THEM A LOT often seems substituted for particular weapon weaknesses.
This is incidentally why I don't like MM10 as much as 9, they got too afraid to make the platforming as challenging, so they tried to compensate by making the enemies harder to kill (on top of very crappy weapon selection in general).

Oh come on, X4 was a fantastic game. If anything, it was X5 that plunged the series into mediocrity.

I'd say X5 is where everything felt REALLY well designed and thought out and that X6, as much as I do actually enjoy it, was where things fell off. So much of it felt like they just did a level edit of X5 and it just felt off in almost every way. X7 was TERRIBLE nonsense and X8... I like X8, I really do.

X4 fans tend to be the ones who saw the pretty anime cutscenes and the massive chunk of series plot and call it the best of the series when, IMO, it's one of the mediocre ones along with X3.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The amount of hits enemies take? His charge-up also seems to take a lot longer in MM7 to get going.

I noticed a couple of non-Japanese names in MM6 when they were going through all the designers of the Robot Masters. Were those a result of fan-made design submissions?

You are right on both accounts. MM7 has a slightly longer charge and six had half the bosses from international submissions!

Just played through Wave Man's stage in MM5, that was different I guess but the whole vehicle section went on a bit too long, trying to use the charge kick on a boss that chomps down on your health with physical contact isn't exactly a treat either.

And i'm disappointed in Splash Woman's stage now i've discovered that it basically hijacked the bubble section from here.

ghibli99

I'll post more when I'm through the rest of the mainline games, but I finished MM7 last night. Man, I had some kind of mental block with that last Dr. Wily battle. He just kicked my ass six ways to Sunday. I honestly don't know if I would have done it without the E and W tanks I had.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Yup, I remember seeing the contest in Nintendo Power where American fans were allowed to submit their own monster designs. I remember submitting one of my own called "Garbage Man", a robot shaped like a garbage can and his level was a junkyard :p I got a letter back from Nintendo Power hyping up Mega Man 5 from all that :p

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I enjoyed Megaman 2 immensely, but it was just cookie cutter game design and after seeing MM6 on NES I just rolled my eyes at how ridiculous Capcom was milking the franchise.

I tried to revisit the franchise again on Saturn with MM7, and later Maverick Hunter X on PSP, but the franchise is just dead to me. No interest whatsoever.

ghibli99

Yup, I remember seeing the contest in Nintendo Power where American fans were allowed to submit their own monster designs. I remember submitting one of my own called "Garbage Man", a robot shaped like a garbage can and his level was a junkyard :p I got a letter back from Nintendo Power hyping up Mega Man 5 from all that :p
My friend and I spent weeks creating a pitch for Archon III back in '85. So much effort. We sent it to EA, and didn't even get so much as a "Thanks, but no thanks". At least you got a letter! :)

Krelian29

I bought these recently, the cart artworks are so much better than the NES version.

RockmanCollection.jpg

Johnas

I'll post more when I'm through the rest of the mainline games, but I finished MM7 last night. Man, I had some kind of mental block with that last Dr. Wily battle. He just kicked my ass six ways to Sunday. I honestly don't know if I would have done it without the E and W tanks I had.

No you didn't, it's just plain hard. I was really surprised at how difficult that final fight was.

ghibli99

No you didn't, it's just plain hard. I was really surprised at how difficult that final fight was.
OK, good to know it wasn't just me. LOL Could *not* seem to get into any sort of groove avoiding those flying orbs. I just tried my best to avoid the ice & fire ones... the ice ones in particular!

Top Bottom