• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 confirmed

jett

D-Member
In the recent Nintendo Power article about the 3DS Mirror of Fate game, David Cox himself says that the game sets up the events of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. So there's that.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm not sure if I care less about this than I do about the 3DS game. Because I don't care about that one at all, so can I have negative care? Oh well. I can take solace in the fact that more thought went into this stupid post than the original Lords of Shadow.

Pein

Banned
It ain't Castlevania if it's not in 2D, developed by KCEJ and with Ayami Kojima's contributions.
Whatever, I thought lord of shadows was pretty damn good. I hope the sequel is a shorter experience though, it took awhile to beat the first one.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I didn't like the first and now I don't really remember why. Weird huh

Sketchy frame rate, bad camerawork, lots of filler, problematic hit boxes for enemy attacks, illegible enemy attacks, horrible Titan battles, poor storytelling and character development...

That said, the game had lots of promise, and I'm interested in a sequel.

Sketchy frame rate, bad camerawork, lots of filler, problematic hit boxes for enemy attacks, illegible enemy attacks, horrible Titan battles, poor storytelling and character development...

That said, the game had lots of promise, and I'm interested in a sequel.
Sounds about right, I think I liked the exploration but didn't care for the combat at all and got frustrated.

I look forward to this. I am enjoying the first one right now greatly. Even if it doesn't resemble what people expect.

This and the 2D one are going to be sweet.

Eusis

He was not born beforehand, you see.
Actually, it does seem entirely possible now we have fans who may not have been born after it, but were born so that they were only old enough to get into SotN or something. And admittedly I only seriously started caring due to SotN and do appreciate Ayami Kojima's artwork, but it's crazy how often I've seen that pegged as essential when she came in about 10 years into the series.

Anyways, I really liked Lords of Shadow, so I'm definitely interested in this and the 3DS game.

Hyunkel6

The first one was amazing. The soundtrack and voice acting are what set it apart, imo. I was not expecting much from a 3D castlevania, but I could not stop playing once I grasped the battle system. I'm currently doing a second run on the hardest difficulty and mopping up the remaining achievements. The ending was begging for a sequel. Glad it's happening.

First game was just okay. That's it. Had a shit ton of flaws, but it has potential and great art.

Hopefully this sequel does improve on things.

First one never really clicked with me. I loved the ambition behind it all, though. So I'm hoping the sequel can hone in on everything, tighten everything up and really deliver.

jett

D-Member
There's a few things that bugged me about Lords of Shadow.

First and foremost the often confusing and poorly executed level design, which if you're unlucky can make the first time experience through the game extremely frustrating. Distances between platforms are sometimes not properly calculated, paths you need to go through are often obscured by the camera, ledges that look like you can grab on to are not grabbable at all, despite being a linear game the game can do a poor job in letting you know where it is you need to go to. I actually enjoyed the game a heck of a lot more the second time I played through it since I knew all the levels' quirks. A truly odd experience. :p It seemed like the game didn't go through proper testing.

Second the titan battles, the way they're set up makes them super linear and repetitive. Simply an annoyance. The smallest mistake can knock you over and you have to start the entire sequence(because it ain't really a battle but an overextended QTE thing) again. They copied some basic elements from Shadow of the Colossus but the overall execution is really poor and frustrating.

And third, simply the framerate, which is uneven and often below 30fps. There's a couple of levels where it gets near 60fps almost constantly though, and it looks quite beautiful.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the art design, the music, the combat system, the non-titan bosses and the twist at the end. Always said this game has potential for greatness and I'm glad Mercurysteam is being given another chance. I hope they learned from the mistakes they made and got their engine up to speed.

Instro

Do any other diehard Castlevania fans not care about the new Castlevania... or is it just me?

The more recent details of Mirror of Fate have certainly peaked my interest significantly. The music and seeing the game in motion will decide whether its a day 1 purchase or if I wait a bit.

Hm, I wonder if MoF tying into LoS2 means that the latter will be coming to WiiU.

Foffy

Banned
I hope the sequel is a shorter experience though, it took awhile to beat the first one.

So you'd want the game to be incredibly short game like most other adventure titles? Lords of Shadow was one of the few action adventure titles this generation worth $60 based on all of the content the game had.

Do any other diehard Castlevania fans not care about the new Castlevania... or is it just me?

I'm rather apathetic myself. I greatly fear the game will encompass all of the atrocious handholding the first game did. There was way too much QTE's and glowy objects for my liking.

There's a few things that bugged me about Lords of Shadow.

First and foremost the often confusing and poorly executed level design, which if you're unlucky can make the first time experience through the game extremely frustrating. Distances between platforms are sometimes not properly calculated, paths you need to go through are often obscured by the camera, ledges that look like you can grab on to are not grabbable at all, despite being a linear game the game can do a poor job in letting you know where it is you need to go to. I actually enjoyed the game a heck of a lot more the second time I played through it since I knew all the levels' quirks. A truly odd experience. :p It seemed like the game didn't go through proper testing.

Second the titan battles, the way they're set up makes them super linear and repetitive. Simply an annoyance. The smallest mistake can knock you over and you have to start the entire sequence(because it ain't really a battle but an overextended QTE thing) again. They copied some basic elements from Shadow of the Colossus but the overall execution is really poor and frustrating.

And third, simply the framerate, which is uneven and often below 30fps. There's a couple of levels where it gets near 60fps almost constantly though, and it looks quite beautiful.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the art design, the music, the combat system, the non-titan bosses and the twist at the end. Always said this game has potential for greatness and I'm glad Mercurysteam is being given another chance. I hope they learned from the mistakes they made and got their engine up to speed.

I hope they step up their puzzle game too. First had some terrible puzzles first one that comes into mind is the blood.

BHK3

Banned
I'm very very happy for a sequel. Though I won't buy a new handheld for some story, I'll just read up what happens.

Daigoro

It ain't Castlevania if it's

not in 2D
not developed by KCEJ
lacking Ayami Kojima's contributions.

no.

So you'd want the game to be incredibly short game like most other adventure titles? Lords of Shadow was one of the few action adventure titles this generation worth $60 based on all of the content the game had.

there was some filler for sure. it could be paired down to a tighter experience.

i enjoyed the game myself despite its many flaws. the worst offenders being the shitty framerate and the horrible drawn out story sections in between levels (god those sucked, thanks Patrick Stewart!).

the game played pretty well and looked fantastic though. a sequel done right could be a really great game.

for the record im a diehard and have been playing since CV1 came out.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
My Cornell, Lord of the Lycans Beard (In-Progress) is Ready!

6x01jm.jpg

Bring it on!

<<<=== There's a reason it's my E-Avatar

rozay

Banned
I would suggest the best game in the series, Castlevania III for the NES.
this. if you're not trolling, shame on you awaiken
there was unfortunately a bit of filler in the beginning and end of the game, but it was nice to play a game that wasn't over after the now industry standard 6-7 hours.

Risgroo

The first was amazibg, can't wait for this. If the fix the camera, the platforming sections and remove the filler levels they've got something awesome.

Maedhros

Castlevania 3 can be very difficult... start with CV IV, which is easier and nice too. Then play the older classic titles.

I never had a problem with the camera. As I stated the only place I remember it being a problem was in the Titan Graveyard where it literally obstructed a concave. Throughout the rest of the game I was never lost and confused, and hanging ledges to grab always let off a gold shimmer to start you off as to where you were supposed begin. They faded once you were actually on them, and a blue shining effect was always visible when you had to swing, repel or climb. I was never lost...until that Graveyard.

Eusis

Wouldn't it be funny if this game didn't come to the Wii U when the set-up for it is on the 3DS
Actually, the rumor before hand was that the setup game was to be 3DS/Wii U, but they scrapped that in favor of porting LoS2 to Wii U in addition to 3DS. I kind of expect they'll actually hit this fall nearly together, but we'll see.

theBishop

Banned
I never finished Lord of Shadow, but what I played of it was really good. Rocksteady got a lot of credit for coming out of nowhere with AAA development chops. Mercury Steam is possibly at the same level. My only complaint was the overly long, fucking stupid narration from Patrick Stewart. His acting was wasted on that terrible, poorly localized dialog.

Top Bottom