• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset – Elite Edition, Coming This Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Features
  • Higher fidelity speaker drivers for dynamic sound
  • Preset Modes to optimize your audio experience for select gaming genres, movies, and music
  • Hidden noise-cancelling microphones deliver crystal clear voice chat and allow for a more streamlined design
  • Compatible with your PS3, PS Vita, favorite mobile device or MP3 player (connects via built-in 3.5mm audio jack and included auxiliary cable)

BassImpact technology translates bass sounds into ‘pulses’ around the earpads of the headset. Pulse – Elite Edition combines 7.1 virtual surround sound with BassImpact to deliver an unprecedented level of immersion, while sharpening your perception on the battlefield or anywhere else you play. This is truly the ultimate audio advantage.

Available this fall for $149.99 (MSRP), this headset is an incredible value, giving you a great sound experience for gaming at home on PS3, or on the go using your PS Vita or mobile device.

As promised, we will be releasing a new PS3 firmware update to address the unintended effects in certain games that were created by the “Sidetone” feature introduced with the PS3 system software update (v4.10). Thanks for your continued patience.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...tereo-headset-elite-edition-coming-this-fall/

"The requested video could not found, or has been marked as private."

Yyyyep.

I just can't trust Sony headphones. They've never been good value for money in my experience. And although playing Rez at the Sony Tower in 2001 with a pair of vibrating headphones was a mind blowing experience, I doubt it's a sensation I would want out of every game with sounds that trigger their BassImpact tech.

RotBot

Hidden noise-cancelling microphones deliver crystal clear voice chat and allow for a more streamlined design
I don't believe this for a second. All the previous official headsets promised this and were still hypersensitive to noise.

A 150 dollars...

I need one of this and i couldn't bring myself up to spend 50 in a Logitech one. Why are these things so over priced?

I just can't trust Sony headphones. They've never been good value for money in my experience. And although playing Rez at the Sony Tower in 2001 with a pair of vibrating headphones was a mind blowing experience, I doubt it's a sensation I would want out of every game with sounds that trigger their BassImpact tech.

Sony gets unnecessary bad reps for their headphones.

Are there lots of crappy sony headphones out there? yeah.
However, you can't deny the existance of cans like the MDR-V6 (value), Eggo, MDR-R10 or the MDR-CD lines of phones.

It's more of a matter of researching into what you want ahead of time...

A 150 dollars...

I need one of this and i couldn't bring myself up to spend 50 in a Logitech one. Why are these things so over priced?

I pity anyone who actually purchase these things at actual MSRP. Gaming headsets usually have sharp drop in prices on release.

anddo0

Getting these!
It's a good thing I didn't pull the trigger on the official Sony or Turtle Beach.
I've been on the market, so the timing on this is perfect.

I pity anyone who actually purchase these things at actual MSRP. Gaming headsets usually have sharp drop in prices on release.
I don't know what to tell you guys then. I have like 5 different headsets added to my wish list, some for years even, and they hover around the same price.

I don't want anything earth shattering, just a decent wireless headset to use
with Steam.

Sony gets unnecessary bad reps for their headphones.

In my case I have first-hand knowledge of sony headsets disintegrating within six months of purchase. At their price points you would expect them to use more durable materials but here I am, $200 poorer and wiser at picking my brands.

Ran rp

One thing that kept me away from the Sony headset is the lack of base, versus the high tremble. I hope they come through with this claim.

This is a physical feature. The cups will "pulse"
vibrate?
on your head in time with low frequencies. It could still have crap base. But the original headset does have quality base. It's the treble that I think is lacking.

+ Xer0Signal on June 1st, 2012 at 7:38 am said:
@10 If you actually read the post, he refers to that at the end and says the fix is still coming in the next firmware update.
Personally, I would have liked a quicker fix as it’s still a really bad distraction, but, I’m glad their addressing it. I love(d) that headset.

+ Richard Ho on June 1st, 2012 at 2:07 pm said:
You are correct…the next PS3 firmware update coming very soon will address “sidetone” issue. Stay tuned for more updates.

fimrware coming in june hope hopefully a big one

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
let me show you my box
iMtQxURjRG66W.jpg

I got them. I like them so far. The pulse effect is nice. I am using them to play Tekken Tag Tournament 2, so I'm not bothering to check any sound positioning quality at the moment. The pulse feature goes off whenever somebody lands a big hit and it sounds pretty good. Very comfy and a lot sleeker than the first PS3 wireless headset. The microphone quality is good, and having it built in is much nicer. I am glad they put the USB port at the bottom now, so it makes charging a lot more convenient.

anddo0

Saw the blog post. I've been waiting for these. I'm going out to GS to pick them up. I called but they had me on hold forever. If anything I'll order them from Newegg.

These work with PC right?

Is this confirmed to work with Blu-ray playback?

+ EternalMovement on September 26th, 2012 at 10:58 am said:
Does the virtual surround only work with games?

+ Maya Butler on September 26th, 2012 at 11:20 am said:
No, with firmware update 4.20 surround sound for blu-ray movies became available on both of our wireless stereo headsets

I hope they are ok to wear with glasses.

anddo0

In a word: AMAZING!!!! Buy Buy!

These things kick. The Pulse feature is a little overdone. But works as advertised. I had it at about 1/4 of it's setting while playing Borderlands 2 and my ears were ringing. The Pulse setting probably shouldn't be past 2/4 for most games. I love how loud this thing is. I normally have to max out the volume while playing PC games. But with the Pulse. I played at around 80/100, and it was still plenty loud. I haven't tried it with the PS3 yet (Starhawk will be the first game I try). But, so far it's been well worth it.

I'm thinking about buying a pair and I'd love to hear more first hand accounts of this model. I was looking to purchase the original one, but the cost difference between the two is more or less $50...

Teknoman

I dunno...might keep the Wireless Stereo Playstation headset, since it doesnt seem to be too bad. But if the Pulse are even better...

Dude, whoa, whoa...

PS Vita compatibility.

Okay, I gotta check these out for real.

Edit: Uuuuh, I don't mind wired connection 3.5mm jack, but doesn't that mean the headset is being used as a headphone for the Vita? No mic?

Dude, whoa, whoa...

PS Vita compatibility.

Okay, I gotta check these out for real.

Edit: Uuuuh, I don't mind wired connection 3.5mm jack, but doesn't that mean the headset is being used as a headphone for the Vita? No mic?

i don't see why the mic wouldn't work, the PS Vita has the ability to use headset/mic combo earphones

Psykotik

DAT BASS.

tried it out with battlefield 3 on the shooter preset. grenades and tank shells sound so good. i had the pulse at around 1/4 of the way up. anytime there was any low frequency bass, the whole headset vibrated.

it's like a dual shock 3 for your ears/head. pretty immersive with BF3.

the rumble is of course adjustable but it was fine for me at 1/4. anything above 2/4 is too strong, especially on BF3.

i then watched the gameplay trailer for the last of us. i forgot to change the preset and it pretty much vibrated every time joel and ellie spoke. changed it to movie and it was gone. it would've been annoying if it started rumbling every time anybody spoke. there weren't many explosive moments in the trailer so the rumble didn't go off much. but i would assume if there were any scene with low bass frequency sounds, it would probably go off.

played a bit of SF3 third strike on the fighter setting. the headset only rumbled on powerful hits, like when i hit ryu's super hadouken. subtle effect.

played a bit of borderlands 2 on shooter settings again. there a lot of bass in the music so most of the vibrations came from that and menu selections.

the pulse feature pretty much only kicks in when there's any deep low frequency bass sounds. varies per game and dependent on the preset you choose. there's game/shooter/fighter/racing/movie presets.

the headset feels more expensive than the older one. the sides are glossy however, and are fingerprint and probably scratch prone. i just kept the plastic skin thing on them for protection.

i'm no audiophile but they definitely sound better than the old headset. dat bass is glorious.

2cddedb32074fafc8fa3fc3861bc2c2af74abd2a.JPG

ddca30e70e57a3be5bf25a1d175b9a7ba8db80f5.JPG

432c4b74484c49bb4ed6937c4f2d98a78be0252c.JPG

Have the original 7.1 Sony headset, how much they sound better than them?

edit: above, that definetly looks more expensive than the plastic one.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Where's the mic?, I'm very interested in it

Might sell of my Turtle Beach DPX21's for $100 (*cough* if anyone is interested, mint condition)
Grab these with extra cash added in

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Im tempted to get one but the price in Japan is a good amount higher than the US. At 18000~ JPY range. Which translates into around 230 USD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom