• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Checkbox BINGO! - Play the Nintendo Press Conference - Win Prizes

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
*** UPDATE ***

FYI, in case the forum goes down you can email me your "BINGO!" calls to e3bingo@gmail.com. Please include your username in your message.

Alternatively, I'll accept any time-stamped post you make about it on an another message board.

Also, you can use your twitter account to post it. #bingo!

*** UPDATE ***

Update.

Just wanted to let people know that you can still sign up up until the start of the conference. The only difference is the items that already happened during the Nintendo Direct ( Glimpse of O/S, Universal Remote) will not be on the cards of folks who sign up after Nintendo Direct.

- Gahiggidy

Prizes

GRAND PRIZE: The certified 1st place player will win $50 towards a Wii U preorder.

5 RUNNER-UP PRIZES: Still to be determined, but the players who place 2-6 will win a neat piece of Nintendo swag. The current plan is to get Nintendo themed coffee mugs.

This contest was put together as a way to add fun and hype to Nintendo's already hotly anticipated 2012 E3 Press Conference. The game is played like paper BINGO, but with random numbers replaced with games, people, hardware features and generally cool stuff everyone hopes to see during the press conference. There are 78 of these cool things to look out for during the show. These items are listed with a short explanation at the end of this document. Each player that signs up to play gets three BINGO cards. Each card has a randomly generated 5x5 square grid made up of those 78 items. Everyone's game uses that same list of items, but not every item from the list will be shown on one of the player's BINGO cards.

Since there are a few long-shot items and even a couple of nearly impossible "wildcard" items in the list, everybody playing has three sheets/cards to try and make a BINGO pattern. The winning patterns are "straight-lines"; those being any vertical, horizontal, or diagonal lines formed from 5 covered squares. As soon as you make a matching pattern on any of your three sheets, declare "BINGO!" For those playing in-person in the NeoGAF cafeteria, shout it out loud enough for the judges to hear, for everyone else playing the home game, post it on NeoGAF in the thread titled "Checkbox Bingo - Play the Nintendo Press Conference - Win Prizes". (In the unlikely event that the forums go down during the press event, an alternative method of communicating your BINGO will be arranged. Check back later to see how that will work.)

Even if you see other players post "BINGO!", keep playing, as the next five people to get BINGO will receive runner-up prizes. Furthermore, since this is an online game, and we cannot pause the conference to check cards, certification of the winners will take place when the conference is over. Please keep playing through the end of the conference. Copies of everyone's BINGO cards are saved for the judges to review. You do not need to send your card back to us.

This is a pen and paper game. You are supposed to print the sheets out and mark them as you watch the conference.

In the event that one or more people declare "BINGO!" before the 30-minute mark of the press conference, the rules will alter to allow someone to "steal" 1st place and win the Grand Prize. If by the end of the conference anyone gets a BINGO pattern on each of their three cards, they can declare "BINGOx3!" to win that first place spot. The original winner will move to the first runner-up position. No other winning places will be given to follow-on players who get a "BINGOx3"on their cards.

Important. Only what is seen and heard during the Nintendo Press Conference or Sunday's Nintendo Direct can be used to mark your cards. Nothing outside of those events should be considered, including material from the official Nintendo press site, news reports, or third-party press conferences. For example, if it has been confirmed by a Nintendo press release that a new Mario Paint game is coming to Wii U, but they fail to ever show or mention it during the press conference, you may not check that box. Additionally, if they do show a confirmed game during the press event, you have to wait for the moment it comes up during the show before you can mark your card. Also, if a person has the label "On stage" under their name, video feed only does not count (including the Nintendo Direct). (Updated to include the surprise Nintendo Direct)

FAQ

Sounds great, how do I sign up?

In order to get you your BINGO cards, I will need you to send me a PM (Private Message) confirm you want to play and provide me an email I can send it to along with your username. Please put these on separate lines to make it easy for me to cut and paste. Also, if you have any punctuation, spaces or other characters in your username that are not safe for file-names, please modify your username to be file-name friendly. For example:

Mr. Kitty2@@8 said:
I want play. Sign me up.

steve@microsoft.com
mr_kitty2008

I will send out your BINGO cards as a PDF document whihc will also inlcude the above instructions and rules repeated. You can download a sample of this document here:

>> http://checkboxbingo.com/pdf.cfm <<

For those who are curious, I've set up a page where you can test out the results of the random BINGO card:

>> www.checkboxbingo.com <<

v9XVb.jpg

tsab

hi, nice idea. Probably won't participate since I'll be with company. I recommend you add tomorrow's Nintendo Direct in your Bingo

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I might just do that, but with the caveat that people won't count for the Nintendo Direct.

Gilby

Item suggestion: since Nintendo is allowing 3rd party online/DRM programs (Steam, Origin, etc.) Blizzard announces they're bringing Battle.Net and Starcraft/Diablo to Wii U. megaton. Totally realistic expectation.

Tagg9

Awesome idea. How are some more possible squares:
- Mii Redesign
- Wii U RAM (> 1 GB)
- Mario Golf
- N64 games for 3DS Virtual Console

Gahiggidy

Nintendo direct included?
Yes, I'm changing the rules to allow stuff confirmed in the Nintendo Direct to be part of the game. Keep in mind, the persons such as Iwata, Reggie, and Miyamoto will not count, as they have to be seen on stage and not in video form. These names are labled "On stage" in their Bingo squares.
Item suggestion: since Nintendo is allowing 3rd party online/DRM programs (Steam, Origin, etc.) Blizzard announces they're bringing Battle.Net and Starcraft/Diablo to Wii U. megaton. Totally realistic expectation.
I already have a Blizzard game represented with Diablo III.
Awesome idea. How are some more possible squares:
- Mii Redesign
- Wii U RAM (> 1 GB)
- Mario Golf
- N64 games for 3DS Virtual Console
Wii U Ram counts already with the "Gigaflops" square, which is for any specific performance spec or hardware specification. This has to be significant and not the list of very vague official specs released for the original Wii. To this day, they've never given official work on how much RAM is in the Wii. Will they handle things differently with Wii U? (AFAIK)

Mii redesign is a bit too subjective, imo. Some people may consider high-polycount models with shaders to be a redesign. While others may be looking for a stylistic change.

Can you add: blizzard mmos, Valve online partner, FF15
The Valve/Steam stuff is kinda included with Gabe Newell being on the list. I've added Final Fantasy 15 to the list.

mclem

I could save you a whole lotta hassle:

http://bit.ly/KG7vFM

I've been talking about it a bit in the E3 bingo thread elsewhere; I'd been running a google docs spreadsheet for a few weeks asking for contributions to populate it.

Basic usage: There's a dropdown at the bottom to pick a category and difficulty. If an image isn't clear as to what it represents, the alt text on it should clarify that.

Gahiggidy

**** UPDATE ****

Hey guys,

I've finalized the list of bingo items and have sent out BINGO cards to everyone who's signed up so far.

**** UPDATE ****

Gahiggidy

What are your rules on eligibility?

You can't be an employee of Nintendo Co., Ltd nor a family member of the company's senior management. (It would be too easy to influence events and content of the press conference.) Everyone else can play.

Majukun

but the "excite bus" item..means that if a sequel of excite truck is announced is checked,or it must be named "excite bus"?

Gahiggidy

but the "excite bus" item..means that if a sequel of excite truck is announced is checked,or it must be named "excite bus"?
Well, that was one of the joke items but you can mark if a direct sequel to ET is announced. I'm 95% it won't though.

How about residency?
It doesn't matter, anyone from anywhere can play.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Pm sent! Joining this, lets see how it goes! :)

Gahiggidy

Darn it. I just realized I forgot to include Splinter Cell. I have a good feeling that game will be one of the surprise Wii U titles.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
PDFs still going out? I assume quite a few people contacted you Gahiggidy. ;)

Gahiggidy

PDFs still going out? I assume quite a few people contacted you Gahiggidy. ;)

Oh.. I may have made a mistake with your PDF. I just checked and I had put your email down for your username, but not sure if I used the same email or your username for the email field. Anyways, I've resent you bingo cards in case you never got the first set.

FYI, I'm sending these out as I see the PMs.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Pm'd! This is really awesome.

Question:

If something is announced at Nintendo Direct (or between now and Tuesday 12 PM EDT) that is on my Bingo card, can I check that or does it need to be announced at the actual Nintendo E3 press conference to count?

Edit: NM, just got the email. Has to be something announced at the Nintendo Direct OR Nintendo E3 press conference.

Gahiggidy

Pm'd! This is really awesome.

Question:

If something is announced at Nintendo Direct (or between now and Tuesday 12 PM EDT) that is on my Bingo card, can I check that or does it need to be announced at the actual Nintendo E3 press conference to count?

The Nintendo Direct Counts

At the actual conference and Nintendo Direct. Nothing outside of those events. Otherwise, it would be more like a east egg hunt. And, more importantly, I'd have no way to check that people didn't call "BINGO" early. Right now, I just need to check the time stamp of their post against the video feed of the conference.

Toma

Received it, thanks!

Toma

Diablo 3, lol. Glad thats not in a center piece. Haha.

Gahiggidy

Bump.

Just wanted to let people know that you can still sign up up until the start of the conference. The only difference is the items that already happened during the Nintendo Direct ( Glimpse of O/S, Universal Remote) will not be on the cards of folks who sign up after Nintendo Direct.

- Gahiggidy

Toma

Looking forward to the conference to continue my Bingo card! :)

Gahiggidy

*** UPDATE ***

FYI, in case the forum goes down you can email me your "BINGO!" calls to e3bingo@gmail.com. Please include your username in your message.

Alternatively, I'll accept any time-stamped post you make about it on an another message board.

Also, you can use your twitter account to post it. #bingo!

*** UPDATE ***

Gahiggidy

Miyamoto's with prop... Mark that square.

I got 3 out of 5, and with half the conference being dedicated to Nintendoland I bet that's as much as anyone haha

EDIT: 4 out of 5 with Nintendo Direct. I had two WUCs, Yves, Wii Fit U, and NFC toys (which were discussed in the Nintendo Direct). I only needed Metroid. Damnit!

Toma

3/5 Bingo :( Boo, only missing the surefire Iwata an the Retro game for a full Bingo. Damnit!

Anyone made the Bingo?

Gahiggidy

Yeah, I think the only way someone can make Bingo is with several people and a Pikmin and the two items from the Nintendo direct... Universal Remote and the OS.

I kinda thought they'd show games. :(

Toma

Yeah, I think the only way someone can make Bingo is with several people and a Pikmin and the two items from the Nintendo direct... Universal Remote and the OS.

I kinda thought they'd show games. :(

Well it was still fun! Thanks for setting it up :) Sometimes some plans just dont work out ;)

Gahiggidy

I will check all the number sets later today and check for a bingo.

But, if I didn't find any... the following pattern will also count...

Four corners + center square

Inside four corners = center square with the adjacent corner squares

Cross = Center square + adjacent up, down, left, right

Toma

I will check all the number sets later today and check for a bingo.

But, if I didn't find any... the following pattern will also count...

Four corners + center square

Inside four corners = center square with the adjacent corner squares

Cross = Center square + adjacent up, down, left, right

Nothing :(

Thanks though :)

my dvr didnt record the last 10 minutes or so, cut off during the intro to nintendoland, but pretty sure im still sitting at 3/5 unless they announce zelda 3ds and wii games upscaling

thanks for the contest though

Top Bottom