• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Conf] Scribblenauts Unlimited for Wii U announced

Yep, and 3DS.

Reveal Trailer

WgVnx.jpg

Ci6sA.jpg

FoneBone

Jesus christ, at least say something about what was shown in the trailer. This isn't a race..

It's on 3DS, too.

Tr4nce

Wow, Slaczka looks tired :)

Anyway, I was very excited about Scribblenauts when I bought it for iPhone last week, even made a thread about it. But now already, it got me bored, I don't even play it anymore. Which is a shame. The concept is great. But maybe it's also because not all of the levels are in the iPhone version.

Hope that this new Scribblenauts doesn't suffer from this same problem!

Forkball

They just showed a demo on Spike TV. The player made a rideable toaster with skull wheels that shot trout at hippies.

GOTF.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
They didn't talk much about the structure of the game. Imagine a sandbox scribblenauts, with many worlds and you can solve puzzles everywhere. That's what this game is, and it's great.

Esiquio

They just showed a demo on Spike TV. The player made a rideable toaster with skull wheels that shot trout at hippies.

GOTF.

OMG, just saw that. It shot trout out and killed a hippy. WOWOWOWW, I had a huge smile on my face the whole time. You can even change the gravity and everything.

A Scribblenauts where you create without scribbling??

no thanks
None of the Scribblenauts have scribbling, last I checked. You've always used words.

Anyway, this was definitely the highlight of the Nintendo conference. I mean, Nintendo Land looked good (like, visual-wise; I'm not really in the market for another MP game, though), and that Lego City thing also seemed like it'd be kind of amusing (depending on whether or not it gets boring as quickly as the previous Lego games, I guess), but my brother really likes Scribblenauts, and it's nice to have something I can point to and say "see, this is something you can look forward to". Didn't really get that from Sony, and while he's already looking forward to Halo 4, didn't really get anything other than that from Microsoft, either.

Blizzard

Banned
They didn't talk much about the structure of the game. Imagine a sandbox scribblenauts, with many worlds and you can solve puzzles everywhere. That's what this game is, and it's great.
If I may ask, do you work with 5th Cell, or are you just familiar with it? I saw you hinting at the game before it was announced.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
But is it online multiplayer?

If not pass.

ScOULaris

God damnit. I love the Scribblenauts series, but what is it gonna take to have it brought to either PS3 or PC in HD? It's clear that the assets scale up to high-res perfectly, so what's the hold-up!

I have no plans to buy a Wii U, but I sure as hell want to be able to play Scribblenauts in HD on my LCD TV with friends in the comfort of my living room.

Linkhero1

They announced it for PC as well according to a banned nintendo site.

PR

BURBANK, Calif. – June 5, 2012 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announces Scribblenauts Unlimited, a new game expanding upon the best-selling, award-winning video game franchise that challenged players to imagine anything and bring it to life in the game. Created and developed by 5TH Cell, the game will include all-new features, more exploration and a completely original gaming experience for the Wii U™ system, Nintendo 3DS™ hand-held system and PC this holiday season. Scribblenauts Unlimited features a huge side-scrolling open world with new, high-definition hand-drawn scenery and objects where players can help the game’s hero, Maxwell, solve robust puzzles and challenges by summoning any object they can imagine. And for the first time, players learn the backstory of Maxwell’s parents, his twin sister Lily, and how he acquired his magical notepad.

“Bringing Scribblenauts Unlimited to new consoles lets players become Maxwell and experience the game play in entirely different, inventive ways,” said Samantha Ryan, Senior Vice President, Production and Development, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “On Wii U, for example, the game is further enhanced by the touch screen on the new controller giving players an innovative way to interact with the action and a simple way to type in the word of his or her desire.”

“With new gameplay modes and features, Scribblenauts Unlimited sets no limits on how players can use their imagination,” said Jeremiah Slaczka, C.E.O. and Creative Director of 5TH Cell. “The game breaks the franchise’s previously set boundaries and allows for unlimited creativity.” Both Wii U and PC versions include a new “Object Editor” that elevates the game’s creativity by giving players the same tools as the developer to make, name, and then share their creations online. Players can create their own objects from scratch or customize any object in-game by setting properties for how it behaves, and can change its appearance by resizing, disassembling and altering its texture and color. The user-generated objects then seamlessly propagate into other players’ world on the fly. Previously summoned objects and players’ own creations can be stored in Maxwell’s “magic backpack” for easy access and future use.

Scribblenauts Unlimited can also be cooperatively played together with friends and family in local multiplayer on Wii U.

Follow Scribblenauts at:
http://www.facebook.com/ScribblenautsVideoGame
http://twitter.com/ScribbleMaxwell

This looks great. The concept of the series is awesome, and Super Scribblenauts opened up a lot of possibilities. Hopefully this will continue the trend.

BTW guys this time there are females and males for every character in the game. No more gender sign text bubble with the character still looking the same.

Jackson

Wow, Slaczka looks tired :)

Anyway, I was very excited about Scribblenauts when I bought it for iPhone last week, even made a thread about it. But now already, it got me bored, I don't even play it anymore. Which is a shame. The concept is great. But maybe it's also because not all of the levels are in the iPhone version.

Hope that this new Scribblenauts doesn't suffer from this same problem!

I had an MS showcase the night before for Hybrid and got like 4 hours of sleep last night. I'm so super tired right now lol.

Jackson's red shoes were fucking great. Then again, anything looks good when you're on a stage recently occupied by Reggie Fils-Aime.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If priced reasonably compared to other versions, I wouldn't mind picking it up on the Wii U. If it's a $30 price bump to play it on Wii U over 3DS / PC version though, no thank you.

Is the name just coincidence? I mean, at first I thought it was a clever way to have a U in the title, but I see it's multiplatform.
Celine said:
Somehow your red shoes was a standout at the Nintendo conference for me :)
They were noticeable. :)

I wish more people were talking about this game so that I could nerd out to it. Super Scribblenauts was what people thought the original was going to be, but this game appears to be the one people hoped it would be.

Look at this thing

Un6XI.jpg

glorious

Endless, seamless levels.
This doesn't seem to be the case; rather, areas are interconnected kind of like Odin Sphere (except for the ends of the levels not being connected).

Anyway, the only thing that's been niggling at me about games like this is how reliant you will be on the screen on the Wii U pad to manipulate the environment. Unless someone is watching you play, I don't see a point in keeping the TV on. You'll be looking at the screen on the controller 95% of the time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I wish more people were talking about this game so that I could nerd out to it. Super Scribblenauts was what people thought the original was going to be, but this game appears to be the one people hoped it would be.

I think that's a great way to put it. All it needs now is Drawn to Life style ability to truly make new objects.

Look at this thing

Un6XI.jpg

glorious
How does it behave, though?

I need a gaming PC/Wii U.
Fixed, unfortunately, if it's stuff like that Manburger that interests you. From what I understand, the Object Editor tool that lets you create those type of things isn't in the 3DS version of the game:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/pr/30598
Both Wii U and PC versions include a new “Object Editor” that elevates the game’s creativity by giving players the same tools as the developer to make, name, and then share their creations online. Players can create their own objects from scratch or customize any object in-game by setting properties for how it behaves, and can change its appearance by resizing, disassembling and altering its texture and color.

You know what would be amazing on this? Cross-platform play/sharing between the WiiU and PC versions. Sadly, that will most likely not happen.

Wichu

If this version doesn't let me make a dinosaur with functioning lasers replacing various body parts, no buy. I tried gluing lasers onto a dinosaur in Super Scribblenauts, but it couldn't fire them.

Who am I kidding? Day one! Though lasersaurs would make it GOTF (again)

Chunky

I'm surprised at how beautiful this game looks. Just that first area in the forest looked lovely, definitely making use of that HD. Those scripting elements are going to consume me.

Hey Big Boss, if I buy this will it make Lock's Quest 2 any more likely?
:D

:I

:(

danielg1138

Neo Member
Jackson, any word on whether (and to what extent) the object editing tools will be in the 3DS version? I really, really hope that scripting system makes it over... it looks like a thing of beauty ;)

Top Bottom