• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U "touched by genius", "gameplay tour de force". Other impressions?

Bumhead

Banned
I seem to recall a large number of overwhelmingly positive reports last year too, once people actually got their hands on it.

After everybody stops having a hissy bit about Nintendo's conference (and I include myself in that) maybe people will settle more on the system. Thankfully being in the UK I get to sleep on it tonight and then read the impressions of everyone who has played it tomorrow morning.

That said, I would like those impressions to be accompanied by some more decent announcements at this roundtable thing tonight.

The Hermit

Reading this impressions reminds me the first hands-on the Wiimote.

I expect great things from this... but there's no way I am buying it on launch.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
*scratches head*

Horrible conference - Shares go up, mainstream press acclaim.

Damn I feel out of touch.

ziran

Thanks for posting marc^o^, really encouraging impressions! Could you put all the links in the first post?

Nintendoland sounds great!! To be expected from Eguchi really. But, I do think The Guardian hit a key point:
All three NintendoLand mini-games we played were brilliant, and highlighted the console's unprecedented ability to shape-shift and support almost dizzyingly diverse types of games which, at the same time, don't feel like anything you've played before. Whether they translate well into descriptions on paper, or even video, is a different matter.

We've said this before, and we'll reiterate it now: to understand the Wii U, you need to get your hands on it. Which is going to be a real challenge for Nintendo, even with its track record of previewing new hardware with massive roadshows. Nintendo, though, isn't interested in making things easy for itself – all it cares about is making gamers happy. And that's exactly what the Wii U will do.
The Wiimote and Wii Sports were easy to understand, not so with this. How does Nintendo convince people to give Wii U a chance when it looks so familiar at first glance? I hope they find a way.

cacildo

You know what i really want? Local multiplayer using the Wii U pad screen, but for BIG games.

I mean, i dont know, think about Zombi U. It should be possible for me and a friend to play together locally, im on the TV using Wiimote+Nunchuck, he´s on the pad playing the game with it.

Its just perfect for Local multiplayer. This could be a regular advantage of the Wii U over other systems.

But until now i only saw this on "smaller" games

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Im still hyped for whats to come, but the conference was disapointing, I think thats obv.

That's true. All we have to go on was the conference, while the press has actually played the games first. Different expectations and experiences.

beje

Banned
You know what i really want? Local multiplayer using the Wii U pad screen, but for BIG games.

I mean, i dont know, think about Zombi U. It should be possible for me and a friend to play together locally, im on the TV using Wiimote+Nunchuck, he´s on the pad playing the game with it.

Uh, you can actually do it. The player with the Gamepad uses the touch screen to control and place zombies and the player with a regular pad tries to survive, first one to reach a set of flags or scores wins. You can see it in action here: http://www.gamekyo.com/videofr22826_zombiu-premiere-video-de-gameplay.html

GDGF

Soothsayer
That said, I would like those impressions to be accompanied by some more decent announcements at this roundtable thing tonight.

I completely forgot about the roundtable tonight. How many more hours until that?

Also, really nice impressions here.

Mindlog

Why are recent share prices being attributed to conferences as opposed to greater Nikkei/Asian market trends?

DarkKyo

The only game worth my time so far is NSMB U... I'm sure the Wii U will be amazing in time but god damn what a crappy launch line-up. Even worse than Wii's launch titles IMO.

Bumhead

Banned
I completely forgot about the roundtable tonight. How many more hours until that?

Also, really nice impressions here.

Not sure. It's something like 9 LA time?

I don't even know what the point of the roundtable is. I suspect it'll just be a chat about what they've already down, but I'm desperate to wake up tomorrow and find they've revealed more stuff.

Thanks for posting marc^o^, really encouraging impressions! Could you put all the links in the first post?

Nintendoland sounds great!! To be expected from Eguchi really. But, I do think The Guardian hit a key point:

The Wiimote and Wii Sports were easy to understand, not so with this. How does Nintendo convince people to give Wii U a chance when it looks so familiar at first glance? I hope they find a way.

Upgrading the look of the Miis might have been an idea. Elements of this title and Wii Fit U look exactly like previous Wii iterations because of it... in a - this looks like a Wii-Play expansion pack cash-in - sort of way... and I know that this title certainly isn't that, but that's what it will look like to people.

Ghost23

Everyone on NeoGAF is complaining about how bad the conference was, but in a few weeks I think everyone will lighten up. They said after the conference that they only wanted to show games that were in the launch window, and by the games shown, it doesn't look like a very bad launch (compared to say the 3DS). I think once they start announcing games after the launch window (maybe even at the round table tonight), our faith in the console will be redeemed.

Because it might just be Nintendo's best console since the Super NES.

cT1o6.gif

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well did anyone expect them to not get good hands on impressions? It's Nintendo, they're pretty good at that.

I have to agree with MT. I'm finally, at last, completely out of touch with this industry now. Nintendo's show and their complete and utter apathy toward trying to woo potential customers with interesting software showcases was the dealbreaker. And now the press is gobbling it up happily?

Fuck it.

But Gaffers told me that the system is doomed, terrible, underpowered, lacking in support, and pointless. How you guys attained all of this knowledge without actually knowing any details about the present or future state of the system or anything of substance in general is beyond me, but I'm inclined to believe you all.

Just like how I believed everyone in last year's E3 threads who said that Super Mario 3D Land would be a bad game. You guys were clearly blessed with some kind of omniscient power last year, so why would I doubt you this time either?

This guy who actually played the system obviously has no idea what he's talking about.

I played all the demos on the floor. One trend I've found people doing is that players look at the screen almost exclusively. People playing Trine2 would play the demo without looking up at all. And if you do, your special abilities are tied to the ouch screen, forcing you to lookdown - problematic in combat and timing based platforming. Same trend in Scribblenauts. If users behave this way, what's the point? I wait to play through again tomorrow, but WiiU isn't doing anything for me.

Game-Biz

I have no problems with the Wii U hardware. We've been getting (second-hand) information for what to expect in terms of performance for a while now. And we know that there's interesting and new and unique ways to play games.

But where's the compelling software? Pikmin and perhaps ZombiU...nothing else in sight as far as I can see.

I really, really, really want to like this system...but as of today I just can't get myself to do it.

Somnid

I'm sure most of this is classic Nintendo "you need to play to understand." A lot of people are shrugging off Nintendoland as a minigame fest. What seems to be missing is that the content of those minigames are centered on asymmetric multiplayer which is pretty much foreign to everyone minus a couple of very hardcore Splinter Cell fans. Those minigames are not the type of games most of us have played. So I think to cast it off as lame or uninspired is very shortsighted.

super_paper_mario_fanboys.jpg

That and it had no shotguns to the face.

Top Bottom