• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 & New Super Mario Bros. U Footage with Audio

zroid

Banned
thank you, sir

edit: Yeah, this pretty much confirms my earlier suspicions about NSMB U. This game looks fantastic in all respects. I just hope there are more power-ups yet to be revealed, hopefully ones that are as awesome as the Acorn appears. Maybe some secret exits? Dare I dream?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Off-screen footage (hell, direct feed footage) doesn't do the game much good. Y'all need to actually see it up close to notice it's a substantial improvement over the Wii game.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I was like "what the hell is going on in Mario" when I realized it was the Wii U pad player messing around.
Does look smooth.

Mario looks fun as fuck, the music is a pleasant surprise too. NSMB and the Wii game's music was so bland, but even though the song is technically the same within the three tracks I've heard from this game I absolutely love it. The variety of instruments and the upbeat nature is just so classic Mario, I'm really loving the vibes that the game's giving. The 'Boost Mode' looks like it basically breaks all difficulty but whatever, I doubt I'll play with that much and just focus on single player and multiplayer with Luigi and the Toads.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think Mario looks great. The only downside is the "bah bah" of the Mario music. Yeah... we really don't need that to be the staple for Mario music. Once was cute. Stop it now.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mario looks fun as fuck, the music is a pleasant surprise too. NSMB and the Wii game's music was so bland, but even though the song is technically the same within the three tracks I've heard from this game I absolutely love it. The variety of instruments and the upbeat nature is just so classic Mario, I'm really loving the vibes that the game's giving. The 'Boost Mode' looks like it basically breaks all difficulty but whatever, I doubt I'll play with that much and just focus on single player and multiplayer with Luigi and the Toads.

The music doesn't have any rhythm or melody, though. It's almost as if there are several different songs playing at the same time.

And I fucking HATE the vocals. :mad:

zroid

Banned
I think Mario looks great. The only downside is the "bah bah" of the Mario music. Yeah... we really don't need that to be the staple for Mario music. Once was cute. Stop it now.

I completely disagree about the music. The instrumentation and melody here is orders of magnitude better than anything from previous NSMB games. I feel you're judging it too harshly based solely on that singular effect.

The music doesn't have any rhythm or melody, though. It's almost as if there are several different songs playing at the same time.

And I fucking HATE the vocals. :mad:

I... don't know what you're talking about. It sounds wonderfully melodious to me.

Soul Beat

NSMBU just keeps looking better and better.

Also, I really should get to looking for Pikmin 1 and 2 in order to get ready for Pikmin 3.

Pikmin looks amazing. Cannot wait to get hands on.

At 30 seconds into the Mario video, something funny happens. Mario goes to jump on the paratroopa to get the Gold Coin. But suddenly the paratroopa loses its wings and both of them fall. I think the "Boost Mode" GamePad player tapped on the paratroopa on the touchscreen, sabotaging Mario's chance to get the Gold Coin.

Peru

Mario looks very good visually - just wish the demo included some later stages so we could see what sort of challenges they're putting in there and in what creative directions they've taken the platforming design. NSMB Wii was very much an improvement on NSMBDS in that regard.

KillGore

I feel weird watching a mario game this crisp, not saying it's bad at all but it feels different. Now I would love a 2D sprite mario in HD, kinda like what Rayman Origins did (and in my dreams it would be New Super Mario World) (or a different art style in HD, cel shaded?)

zroid

Banned
I can't wait to exact platform sabotage upon Mario in the long-awaited return of counter-op mode.

I feel weird watching a mario game this crisp, not saying it's bad at all but it feels different. Now I would love a 2D sprite mario in HD, kinda like what Rayman Origins did (and in my dreams it would be New Super Mario World) :O (or a different art style in HD, cel shaded?)

Some of the backgrounds do a great job of seemingly evolving the SNES aesthetics. The foregrounds and characters do look very clean here, although agreed, the polygonal models are wearing me out a bit.

I love you guys talking about how polished Mario is. It looks like a cross between SMW and SM3 its been polished for decades.

Have Nintendo said anything official regarding the typical resolution of Wii U games? If it renders games smoothly in 1920x1080, I'll give them a little slack regarding visuals.

Pikmin looks great, but I'm not too big on Mario, so I have no real comment on that.

Varjet

I don't mind the music in the NSMB games, except for one thing: that course clear jingle is really horrible.

At 30 seconds into the Mario video, something funny happens. Mario goes to jump on the paratroopa to get the Gold Coin. But suddenly the paratroopa loses its wings and both of them fall. I think the "Boost Mode" GamePad player tapped on the paratroopa on the touchscreen, sabotaging Mario's chance to get the Gold Coin.

Yeah I noticed that too. I had to go back and watch a couple of times to realize that it was caused by another player. I wonder if it was intentional or not because it looked like they were just hitting any enemy that they saw.

Where did the aliasing go in Mario!? And the music!? It wasn't bad at all!
Yeah, what the hell are people talking about? I think it sounds great, looks really crisp too. Nothing groundbreaking or even anything that couldn't be done on the Wii, but I really like the overall look of the game and how they're attempting to divvy up the tropes for once. Excited to see more night sky winter levels and the 'Starry Night' looking levels, if they have a whole world that's made to look like a painting that would be so cool.

Pikmin looks great except for the ground textures, which were shitty back in the Gamecube days.

Which sucks because it's kind of what the camera is pointing at 100% of the time.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Both titles look great.
Mario could be really fun if the uPad Boosy Mode Player would actively try to sabotage the player - would bring in a whole new level of difficulty.

Just finished watching the mario footage. I don't give a shit if this was the only game coming out on launch day...I'm there. The music, the weighted feel of the movement, the crisp visuals. No doubt, I'm more on board than I was before, and I was super on board them. This looks like concentrated fun. Shiny, crisp, perfectly concentrated fun.

Instro

It's pretty impressive how much they did with Pikmin visually considering it was a Wii game. Yeah it would have been nice to see it built from the ground up and really blow us all away, but at least its a launch game. The lighting and effects look great, I particularly like the DoF filter. Looks like a blast to play as well. Should be able to fit a shit ton of Pikmin on screen with all the power.

NSMB also looks really good in motion, there's a lot going on in the backgrounds. Lots of motion, some polygonal stuff, many layers to is as well. Still think the music sucks though, the tunes are just so dull to listen to sometimes.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I completely disagree about the music. The instrumentation and melody here is orders of magnitude better than anything from previous NSMB games. I feel you're judging it too harshly based solely on that singular effect.

I liked the rest of the music aside from the "bah bah".

It's pretty impressive how much they did with Pikmin visually considering it was a Wii game. Yeah it would have been nice to see it built from the ground up and really blow us all away, but at least its a launch game. The lighting and effects look great, I particularly like the DoF filter. Looks like a blast to play as well. Should be able to fit a shit ton of Pikmin on screen with all the power.

The good thing is that if it was a Wii game, then it won't feel rushed and light on content like other launch day franchise revivals (Pilotwings *cough*).

JohngPR

I was one of the guys that was disappointed to hear that they were launching the Wii U with a NSMB game, but I have to admit that looks awesome.

Top Bottom