• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eidos Montreal talks a bit about Thief 4

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's not much here, but I thought some people might still be interested.

OXM said:
Thief 4 "needs to be as good as or better than Deus Ex" - Eidos Montreal
"We don't want to be seen as a one trick pony."

Eidos Montreal boss Stephane D'Astous has worked up the courage to talk about Thief 4 to us again. Well, he's worked up the courage to talk about what the game has in common with the studio's debut effort, Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

"The success of Deus Ex put two things in perspective for us," D'Astous reflects in an interview published in issue 87, out on Wednesday. "Our second game needs to be as good or better than Deus Ex, and it gave a lot of credibility to the studio. Putting a successful game under your belt brings more confidence and credibility, and less red tape. We don't want to be seen as a one trick pony."

Thief 4 runs on Unreal Engine, features some sort of online functionality and will bring "more than just stealth". Eidos Montreal is taking the same no-holds-barred approach to gameplay it took with Human Revolution, but is "definitely a different approach, a different play style."

"In Deus Ex, we really wanted to give different options in how to play, and we will want to bring a certain level of that to Thief," D'Astous went on. "I think if people spend $60 on a game, they want more than corridor shoot shoot, corridor shoot shot. People are asking for a little more, so give them the choice of how they want to play."

There you go. Exhaustive. Pick up a copy of issue 87 for a fuller discussion of Thief 4, Eidos Montreal and Square Enix action projects at large.
Source: http://www.oxm.co.uk/42730/thief-4-needs-to-be-as-good-as-or-better-than-deus-ex-eidos-montreal/

Clevinger

I'm sure it will turn out fine. Stephane D'Astous said some weird and worrying things about DX:HR before it came out, and thankfully it was great. Hopefully the actual designers are as good as HR's.

Thoraxes

"I think if people spend $60 on a game, they want more than corridor shoot shoot, corridor shoot shot. People are asking for a little more, so give them the choice of how they want to play."

This is awesome.

Truant

I'm sure it will turn out fine. Stephane D'Astous said some weird and worrying things about DX:HR before it came out, and thankfully it was great. Hopefully the actual designers are as good as HR's.

Pretty sure the main production team from HR moved on to Thief 4 after HR wrapped.

Tucah

you speak so well
I'm sort of weary about this, but I was iffy on HR before release and that turned out to be great so I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

Bring on Thiaf!

Tarrasque

Banned
If they can recapture the magic of the first game, I'm sold. I trust that these guys will be able to retain the core feel of the series considering their accomplishment on Deus Ex.

szaromir

Banned
It will be very different from the first three games. They had very limited appeal and I'm sure Square Enix will want to make them more dynamic. I hope they can retain the focus on stealing and staying invisible and go for ambitious level design.

Happy about the switch to Unreal Engine.

I have utmost trust in Eidos Montreal but the online portion is disappointing. I might try it if it's similar to spies vs. mercs but I'm mainly looking forward to a single player game here.

The "more than stealth" thing got me worried too but they did a fantastic job with Human Revolution. Just show some footage asap please.

Orayn said:
I was under the impression that Thief was another team, with the HR folks gearing up to make more Deus Ex? Eidos Montreal is pretty huge.

The team working on Thief 4 was rather small compared to the DX team so I assume some people might have switched over while core members have started working on the next Deus Ex.

Orayn

I'm liking that, even if it's a lot more dumbed down, stealth is still seeming to be a major market.

Most of what I've been hearing about Thief 4 has made it sound like a steampunk/magicpunk offshoot of Human Revolution. Though that may not be exactly what Thief fans want, I think it'll still be a fine game.

Online mode could actually be interesting. It would be cool being part of a squad of city guards that basically be required to carefully work together and co-ordinate to corner / ambush the thief, since they won't have guns to mow them down from a distance.

I'm not too worried about the game, though there will surely be some "badass" concessions made. DXHR was great and sold well too, so there's no reason to dumb this one down drastically.

Derrick01

Banned
I only hope the stealth is much better and much tougher to pull off in this. They can get away with easy stealth and overpowered abilities in Deus Ex because stealth isn't its main focus, but it is with Thief. They can't screw around there.

Metal B

Thief 4 runs on Unreal Engine, features some sort of online functionality and will bring "more than just stealth".
No, god, no! Don't make Thief in an Hybrid-Game. It should be all about stealth! It is the point of the series. We already have enough "and" games ...

Derrick01

Banned
No, god, no! Don't make Thief in an Hybrid-Game. It should be all about stealth! It is the point of the series. We already have enough "and" games ...

Yeah I'm worried about that too. Stealth games that try to offer choices in the form of different styles of play always results in bad stealth games. But you know they're not going to make a pure stealth game with it releasing on 360 and ps3 as well. They want this to be in the 2+ million sold range.

I think we'll just have to wait and ignore everything until the third gameplay footage hits because S-E clearly has no idea how to market their stealth games...

Psi

Thief 4 runs on Unreal Engine, features some sort of online functionality and will bring "more than just stealth"

Ugh...well I really enjoyed Deus Ex so I'll try to be cautiously optimistic for now. Thief games all all about pure stealth though, so I really hope they know what they're doing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fully confident in these guys after Human Revolution. They created such an awesome title that really captured the feel of the original game while leaving their own distinct mark.

Now you know why they don't talk about Thief 4, I don't think they can make the game the fans of the original want. They are probably forced to put in more actiony stuff.

Cerberus

It's great to hear that Human Revolution was a success for them.

Since this was not at E3, my guess is it'll be shown at the Spike VGAs.

Deus Ex 3 was meh.

Not getting my hopes up yet. Garrett's story is sort of done, I wouldn't mind them trying out something new-ish.

Rope arrows better be back or I'm torching the place though.

Metal B

*Sigh*
Thief doesn't need anything but well executed stealth, thievery, excellent level desing, and some nifty gadgets in form of arrows. How can the dev team think it needs something more?

This is not going to end well.

I always hate, if people talk about games like NSMB and say that those games never do anything new. Even so the developers spend a lot of time finding new level-design ideas, which makes every game special. With new little gimmicks, which don't change the gameplay, but they still use any possibility to make then exciting and rewarding to learn.

That's what i want from an sequel. Focus on the basic, which make the series interesting, and try to get anything out of gameplay by designing great, new levels with new ideas, enemies, gadgets, etc.. Which are all use to maximum what imaginable and even beyond that to surprise me. Many developers do not take the time and just create new gameplay mechanics, which is the always the easy way out. It's much simpler to create content for new stuff, then force yourself in finding new ways in known things. Adding gameplay elements should always be the last thing to do.

I didn't even know there was confirmation for anther project coming from Eidos Montreal and that the project would be Thief 4.

Thanks for posting this Nirolak.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
In Deus Ex, we really wanted to give different options in how to play, and we will want to bring a certain level of that to Thief," D'Astous went on. "I think if people spend $60 on a game, they want more than corridor shoot shoot, corridor shoot shot. People are asking for a little more, so give them the choice of how they want to play."

A "certain level of"?

That's the entire fucking game. Thats how Thief works! Why is that being brought up in design after the success of Deus Ex? I hope I'm misinterpreting him and on the first day the design team scrawled in the center of their whiteboard "non-linear sprawling gameplay"

I didn't even know there was confirmation for anther project coming from Eidos Montreal and that the project would be Thief 4.

Thanks for posting this Nirolak.

Dude, where have you been? They're even working on a new IP and a new Legacy of Kain!
ok, the latter isn't true

As long as I can play it like a proper thief game, I'll be happy.

Lots of nice loot and a good story would be welcome, also.

Top Bottom