• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Colony & M.U.L.E. Returns - Two Kickstarters in one!

This is a bit of an odd Kickstarter project, but I thought it was worth making a thread for... Two different developers have joined forces to fund two completely different games based on the original 1983 Atari 400/800 classic computer game, M.U.L.E.

More information here:

Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1547218311/alpha-colony-a-tribute-to-mule

You get two games in one Kickstarter!

In this Kickstarter we are offering BOTH a faithful remake of the classic for mobile platforms (with an iOS or Combo pledge of $25 or more) and a modern tribute for mobile and desktop platforms. You get to choose: play the award-winning original untouched, or play the inspired update with similarities to Settlers of Catan and Civilization!

(Click on the images to go to the individual websites.)

Yes, we have a license and are working with original creator's family!

With a license granted by and partnership with Dan Bunten’s family as well as special access to previously unseen designs, DreamQuest Games aims to raise these funds to bring a modern update of M.U.L.E. to life.

"M.U.L.E. is a landmark in the history of video games worthy of a modern 3D sequel for mobile players," relates Christopher Williamson, Creative Director at DreamQuest Games.

"We look forward to seeing our dad's legacy continue," shares Melanie Bunten, the oldest of Dan Bunten's three children.

What is M.U.L.E. you may be asking? Well...

Mule_box.jpg

M.U.L.E. was a 1 - 4 player resource management turn based video board game developed by Dan Bunten and Ozark Softscape and published by Electronic Arts. It was released in 1983 for the Atari 400/800 home computer system. But was also ported to many other classic home PC's as well as the Nintendo Entertainment System.

Each player controlled a settler on a distant planet called Irata (Atari spelled backwards). The objective was to farm, harvest, mine and buy and sell various resources to earn money and provide services for the main colony that all players are jointly a part of. Each player would achieve this by purchasing robotic creatures called Multiple Use Labor Element's, or M.U.L.E.'s for short. The M.U.L.E.'s would be put to work on various plots of land that the players owned, collecting valuable resources. But sometimes problems would arise like being raided from Space Pirates, runaway M.U.L.E.'s, meteorite showers or dreaded sun spots. The winner was decided by who had the most resources and money by the end of the game.

The original M.U.L.E. is generally regarded as PC classic, and has inspired many later resource management styled games in the genre.

Though to be honest, I have never actually played the original M.U.L.E. myself. But I do have good memories of the version that was released on the Nintendo Entertainment System. Which I assume was more or less the exact same game. It was all good fun.

So where can I purchase or play the original game?

Well, as far as I know, you can't purchase the game anywhere. It probably hasn't been sold in retail for nearly two decades. But there are still a few options available to play it legally:

• Planetmule.net :
    planet MULE is a free remake of the original MULE that can be played online against other people. There are clients available for Windows, Mac and Linux at the site. So check it out here: Link
  • Download the unreleased DOS version: From what I understand this version was originally planned to be released by IBM in the year 1985, but due to various reasons was canceled and never saw the light of day until 2012. The DOS version can be found here along with instructions on how to install it using DOSBox: Link

Chairhome

Played the original on my C64 and I used to love this game. The video started off great, but started to put me off when the guy started humming the music, haha. To be honest, I'm all for a remake but not sure if this is what I want. I'll monitor the kickstarter and consider pitching in as it gets closer to its goal.

Played the original on my C64 and I used to love this game. The video started off great, but started to put me off when the guy started humming the music, haha.

yeah, I kinda agree with you about the video. They should've just stuck to being more informative than trying to tug on people nostalgia strings. Ah well.

To be honest, I'm all for a remake but not sure if this is what I want. I'll monitor the kickstarter and consider pitching in as it gets closer to its goal.

It's really odd. The production on the remake looks like a flash game. The tribute title does look a lot better though. I would rather see it be the other way around with the remake getting the production values of the tribute title. Alpha Colony does look pretty good though. Though nothing has actually been shown for the remake.

Also the remake going iOS only while the tribute gets a PC and Mac release. But I suspect it has something to do with publisher rights there. I think EA still has the publishing rights to release the M.U.L,E series on PC.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I want a M.U.L.E. remake, but not sure this is the one I want. The art-style is atrocious.

500k is a lofty lofty goal btw...

MULE is awesome. Spent so much time with that weird game as a kid.

Not sure I want a remake though. I can just play the old one.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
While I would buy M.U.L.E. on my phone, I want to play it on Facebook with other players.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hrm, I was a bit confused, but it looks like under 60 bucks, you basically choose which game you want... so they're funding both the remake and the new game from the same pool of money?

Hrm, I was a bit confused, but it looks like under 60 bucks, you basically choose which game you want... so they're funding both the remake and the new game from the same pool of money?

I think for the 10 - 15 dollar tiers, you can choose either Alpha Colony or MULE Returns. At $25 you get both iOS games... at 30 you get the PC version and iOS versions of Alpha Colony as well as MULE Returns.

And yeah funding will go towards both versions. But, both versions will be developed by different studios.... I think?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think for the 10 - 15 dollar tears, you can choose either Alpha Colony or MULE Returns. At $25 you get both iOS games... at 30 you get the PC version and iOS versions of Alpha Colony as well as MULE Returns.

And yeah funding will go towards both versions. But, both versions will be developed by different studios.... I think?
I think I need to re-read those descriptions again, because I wasn't quite sure what was going on when I read them earlier in the day. lol

Narag

Tempting but $25 for the retro version on ios is a bit steep.

I think I need to re-read those descriptions again, because I wasn't quite sure what was going on when I read them earlier in the day. lol

There's a big chart at the bottom if that helps.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tempting but $25 for the retro version on ios is a bit steep.

There's a big chart at the bottom if that helps.
Oh wait, that was probably the source of my confusion - there isn't a desktop version of the MULE remake, only an iOS version?

Or maybe I don't get it. lol

DiscoJer

Oh wait, that was probably the source of my confusion - there isn't a desktop version of the MULE remake, only an iOS version?

Or maybe I don't get it. lol

Yes, it's confusing.

The MULE remake (MULE Returns) is on iOS and Android

The spiritual successor, Alpha Colony, is on PC, Mac and iOS

I actually think it's possible that IBM has the publishing rights for the PC, which is why we aren't seeing the remake on PC. I was reading a MULE website after I heard of this, and apparently the PC version was for the PC Jr, and published (and produced) by IBM. (edit: Well, paid for, if not published exactly. Read the article on the site, it's complicated)

http://www.worldofmule.net/tiki-index.php

Ah sorry, your last comment seemed to have suggested that. In this forum, you just never know sometimes.... :p

I actually think it's possible that IBM has the publishing rights for the PC, which is why we aren't seeing the remake on PC. I was reading a MULE website after I heard of this, and apparently the PC version was for the PC Jr, and published (and produced) by IBM. (edit: Well, paid for, if not published exactly. Read the article on the site, it's complicated)

http://www.worldofmule.net/tiki-index.php

Ah, that seems like a possibility that IBM still retains the copyright license for the PC version of MULE. Also, after reading that article, I had no idea that there has never been a DOS or PC release of the original MULE for the last 27 years. I guess that's the reason why.

Also, the original disk image for the DOS game is available here, which can be played in DOSBox:

http://www.worldofmule.net/tiki-index.php?page=IBM+PC

Alpha Colony sounds like it could potentially shape up to be pretty cool:

Latest update:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1547218311/alpha-colony-a-tribute-to-mule/posts

Alpha Colony adds support for Android and Linux!

Our fans said they wanted Alpha Colony on Android and Linux and we have added support for both platforms officially. Android will be included with all Mobile pledge levels at no extra cost and Linux will be included with all Desktop pledge levels at no extra cost.
New team members

Alpha Colony would like to welcome 3 new team members who will be helping us:

• Stuart Compton - Comes to us with 4 years as Art Director at SOE on the previous king of MMORPGs, Everquest II. Stuart will help us deliver a compelling 3D world with that AAA level of polish.
  • Megan Fox - Comes to us after having spent several years as a Graphics Programmer at NetDevil and, later, LEGO Universe working on their 3D worlds. Megan will help make everything look all pretty and run fast on mobile devices.
  • Arnold Nesis - Fresh off of doing the music and sounds for the Diablo III trailer, Arnold will be creating an original soundtrack for Alpha Colony and make sure our audio is as immersive as the game play and art.

That's not a bad line up of talent for a project like this.... At this point the MULE Remake almost sounds like a free bonus and Alpha Colony is the real star attraction here.

venato

Neo Member
M.U.L.E. original cover art was WAY MORE AWESOME than the new shitty AT-AT-like.

Everything gets worse, with thime.

M.U.L.E. original cover art was WAY MORE AWESOME than the new shitty AT-AT-like.

Everything gets worse, with thime.

I won't deny that. I love the original box art for this game, it almost looks Terry Gilliam's cut and paste art style from Monty Python. If only we could get a new MULE game that could somehow translate that style to the game itself.. it would look pretty awesome.

Though in all fairness, the MULES always looked like AT-AT's in the original game:

muleat1.gif

So it is not really inaccurate.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I checked in and with 5 days to go, they haven't even reached 100k.

This is probably the first retro Kickstarter that I've followed that is probably not going to make it... you'd think there'd be more MULE fans out there, but I guess that's not the case.

Narag

This is probably the first retro Kickstarter that I've followed that is probably not going to make it... you'd think there'd be more MULE fans out there, but I guess that's not the case.

Strange tier system surely didn't help nor did pricing of the retro edition. I like MULE but not up for a $25 remake for my phone.

saunderez

Strange tier system surely didn't help nor did pricing of the retro edition. I like MULE but not up for a $25 remake for my phone.

They should've just decided to make 1 game instead of 2. I would've bought Alpha Colony on Android the retro remake seems unnecessary.

DiscoJer

I think if the original creator was doing the Kickstarter, it would be doing a lot better. Instead, it's just some random developer that doesn't have an impressive history.

Top Bottom