• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Playthrough and Commentary with Developer

Jex

Idlethumbs are currently doing a live play through and commentary of the original Bioshock with one of the designers from the game, JP LeBreton. It's been pretty interesting so far and has been going for about forty minutes. The link is here - http://www.twitch.tv/idlethumbs

Sheppard

Stuff like this is cool. Have they done this before? this is the first time I have heard of something like this.

Dennis

Banned
Bioshock is one of those games that I will remember for its design and narrative......

.....but I will never play it again as the gameplay is repetitive and simplistic.

System Shock 2 is better and for all the praise we can heap on the world-building aspect of Bioshock it can't hide the dumbing down that occurred.

Ultimadrago

Stuff like this is cool. Have they done this before? this is the first time I have heard of something like this.

First I've caught of anyone (who worked on something) doing this through means of stream.

I'd love it if more games/series I'm fond of would do them.

As for Bioshock itself, first I've heard it happening.

Jex

Well, Valve does this with a number of their games but I can't think of many examples of a developer playing through their game and talking about if off the cuff.

I think it's helps that it's been years since the game out, so you he can talk about how bad the models look etc.

Jex

Bioshock is one of those games that I will remember for its design and narrative......

.....but I will never play it again as the gameplay is repetitive and simplistic.

System Shock 2 is better and for all the praise we can heap on the world-building aspect of Bioshock it can't hide the dumbing down that occurred.

So far this commentary is less of a discussion about the games merits and more of an insight into the development process of a specific product, which is interesting regardless of your opinion of the work in question.

I suppose it's 'killing the magic', in that we're seeing how the strings are being pulled to create a specific effect for the player, but that's interesting as well.

Can they add this to the game as some kind of free dlc or achievements the way valve does it with their games? It wil bring added value to the game and will increase sales for an old game if announced. I like how valve adds directors commentary to their games and i hope they do it for many more games.

I would hope that the next generation of consoles will provide some behind the scenes looks on some titles to get a feel for development of the game to build a greater mutual understanding between player/consumer and developer. This has worked great with dvd and even more so for bluray and i hope it becomes big in games. It has the potential to bring a lot of added value to a game with minimal cost to the developer.

Jex

Can they add this to the game as some kind of free dlc or achievements the way valve does it with their games? It wil bring added value to the game and will increase sales for an old game if announced. I like how valve adds directors commentary to their games and i hope they do it for many more games.

I think there's two problems that inhibit videogame commentary.

1) The length of time required is far longer than the 90 or so minutes that it takes to watch a movie.

2) There's no way to get players looking at a certain event, or observing a particular sequence or doing a certain action unless you do it like Valve do it. I guess tied into that is how that you can't control how fast someone is going through a game.

Great game and nice commentary as expected, but what's up with the small ass screen? I'm all for a small webcam window on the lower left or right of the screen, but this right here is just bullshit.

Goldrusher

11-vent6wamt.jpg

I never noticed this is (supposed to look like) a sunflower.

Boss Man

Just started listening to Idle Thumbs podcast and one of the first episodes had this guy on it I think. Definitely going to watch, thanks.

Top Bottom