• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latino Review: Second Marvel 2014 Movie to be 'Guardians of the Galaxy'

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://latino-review.com/2012/06/28/exclusive-marvels-2014-movie-revealed/

They’ve been buying up domain names and we rapidly approach Comic Con, everyone knows Marvel is about to drop a movie-bomb on us and now, Latino Review knows what it is.

Usually good old Da7e is trotted out of his studding pasture to talk to you about comics he knows something about, this – however – is bit out of my league and, of course, out of THIS WORLD.

Marvel’s plan has been 2 superhero movies in their Unified Film Universe each year. Next year will bring us the new entries into the ‘Thor’ and ‘Iron Man’ and 2014 will bring us ‘Captain America 2′ and…

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY.

What else do we know about Guardians of the Galaxy?

- It will be announced as Marvel’s second 2014 movie at Comic Con
- Thanos is in it.
- It will “lead up to” The Avengers 2 in 2015.
- ”THE SCRIPT IS INCREDIBLE”

So let’s parse some of that.

One: The end credits scene at the end of The Avengers was both a teaser for ‘Avengers 2′ AND ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’

Two: The Guardians being added to the Unified Universe means the theorhetical chronological order of Marvel Unified Movie Universe Phase 2 is: ‘Iron Man 3′ ‘Thor 2′ ‘Captain America 2′ ‘Guardians of the Galaxy.’ Hulk gets the shaft.

Three: If I were to point you in the direction of a comic to read to theorize what Guardians of the Galaxy would be about, I’d suggest you go buy The Thanos Imperative.

Four: Nova. Expect Nova. There’s got to be a reason that Nova keeps showing up in stuff like Disney’s Ultimate Spider-Man and Marvel’s AvX. He’s not a Guardian per se, but he’s the most recognizable Marvel space character to the all-important “we’re young and buy toys” demographic.

Cool?

EDIT: Variety corroborates:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056109?refCatId=13
r the bigscreen: The Guardians of the Galaxy.
The Disney division is expected to announce a "Guardians" film as its next tentpole that would launch a new set of characters on May 16, 2014. Studio had previously planted a flag on that date for an untitled Marvel pic.

The Guardians are aliens in the 31st century -- each the last of their kind -- who travel back in time to enlist help to battle the Badoon, an evil alien race that attempts to conquer Earth's solar system. First introduced in 1969 and again in 2008, the newer set includes Star-Lord, Drax, gun-toting Rocket Raccoon and Groot, a tree. Characters were recently featured in an episode of the animated series "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes."

In the comicbooks, the characters have crossed over into the "The Avengers" universe, making them fit in easily with Marvel's bigscreen plans to expand the superhero franchise -- as would Ant-Man, another Avenger. And like its other Marvel properties, Disney can exploit the Guardians across all of the Mouse House's divisions as TV shows, videogames, consumer products and possibly theme park attractions.

Nicole Perlman, who came out of Disney's screenwriting program, penned a version of the script that Marvel has been high on.

While Marvel will focus much of its Comic-Con presentation on "Iron Man 3," lensing now in North Carolina under the direction of Shane Black, the company will spend some time highlighting how it plans to introduce new characters to auds the way it did with Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Thor and Captain America. Session wraps up Hollywood's film panels on July 14.

The website Latino Review first reported Marvel's plan to announce a Guardians pic at Comic-Con. Marvel declined to comment, although sources confirm to Variety that Disney and Marvel are zeroing in on the project, rather than a standalone Black Panther project at this point.

Marvel topper Kevin Feige has long discussed the possibility of a Guardians film, wanting to produce a big-budget space adventure. And Disney recently secured trademark rights to produce an array of consumer products tied to the pic and its characters.

Guardians of the Galaxy is among several new properties Marvel is looking to launch as films, along with Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, The Inhumans, while Black Panther also is being tackled by scribes. Edgar Wright recently shot test footage for "Ant-Man," about a scientist who can change his size and communicate with insects. Project, which he co-wrote with Joe Cornish, has long been in development and discussed at Comic-Con in previous years.

Marvel and Disney's next superhero outing is "Iron Man 3," skedded for May 3, 2013, to be followed by "Thor 2" (Nov. 15, 2013) and "Captain America 2 (April 4th, 2014). Disney already has said an "Avengers" sequel is in the works, most likely for 2015, although no date has yet been set.

DodgerSan

As much as I'd love to see them, I can't help thinking that Rocket Racoon and Groot would be too 'out there' for a mainstream Marvel movie.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Must have missed:

TUNE IN NEXT TIME TO SEE: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

At the end.

Thanos_thumb.PNG

I have never ever heard of this team before. I imagine nobody from the mainstream has either.

I'd say it doesn't matter and that Marvel Productions has earned the general public's trust.

Avengers showed that they can go all out superhero craziness and the public will eat it up if it's done well.

Tie this to the Avengers properly, and it's a done deal.

FoneBone

er, people who think Thanos is a strong hint at GoG need to read more '90s Marvel comics ;p

Given the films we know Marvel has in active development, not really. The other frontrunners are Ant-Man and Dr Strange, and if Thanos were to appear in movie before Avengers... it wouldn't be either of those.

Given the films we know Marvel has in active development, not really. The other frontrunners are Ant-Man and Dr Strange, and if Thanos were to appear in movie before Avengers... it wouldn't be either of those.

But like I said. Just a guess like it's been for a while now.

Maybe not, but he's completely feasible for Thor 2 given the Infinity Gauntlet is in Asgard. It's also possible the Thanos plot won't come into full view until Avengers 2.

Anyway, my point was Thanos is a Marvel Universe villain, not a Cosmic Marvel villain.

edit: I'm not sure I agree with you regarding Dr. Strange anyway ;p

Dram

So, if this is true an Ant-Man movie won't happen until 2016. I wonder if they'll just introduce the character in another movie? Maybe Captain America 2 or Avengers 2.

So, if this is true an Ant-Man movie won't happen until 2016. I wonder if they'll just intrude the character in another movie? Maybe Captain America 2 or Avengers 2.
I don't think so, Edgar Wright has said that he expects Ant-Man to start filming really soon--it's not impossible for them to put out 3 films in one year.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I guess you could wiki it if you gave a shit.

I did. Looks to be like two different versions (1969 and 2008) with over 15 different members at one time or another.

They're a team of diverse and obscure "cosmic" Marvel characters.

Most of them weren't all too relevant until they became a team and it was awesome.

Thanks. How do they tie in with Thanos exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom