• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if the Wii U Tablet is the best Media Controller?

onQ123

Wouldn't that pose just as big of a threat to Microsoft & Sony as the games?

if the Wii U is preferred as the media device because of the ease of use with the tablet that could really take away from the time that the PS3/Xbox 360 is hooked up to the TV \ being used.

(something something Smartglass, something something Vita, yeah yeah I know but they are not standard with the system)

do you think MS & Sony are going to have to try their best to counter this with the PS4 & Xbox Next controller having a touch pad to control media & the internet?

well we know MS will have Kinect 2 for controlling media,

I think Sony is going to have to add a touch pad to the controller or at least pack the GoogleTV remote in with the PS4.

remote-550x460.png

SmokyDave

No chance. It doesn't even play optical disc formats so I can't see it as the centre-piece of any serious home setup.

I don't see what benefits it would give me over my current Apple TV setup, given that fact. I hope that all 3 offer apps to control their media features via smartphone, that'd certainly be nice.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Not even covering the lack of blu ray playing, am I to expect the Wii U to have streaming media capabilities that put it in like with the PS3's or even Windows Media Center? If not, its almost impossible to care if its just some "easier way to browse" but with less actual core functionality.

If there really is something amazing and revolutionary to the WiiU tablet that trumps whatever they have up their sleeves, then MS and Sony will be sure to follow suit. They will have a year to wait and see if the idea is worth copying.

If it ends up being an idea that they have to imitate, it will cause them problems in the sense that throwing in a tablet in the box will significantly increase manufacturing costs and subsequently, the price to the consumer. Unless they pulled a Kinect/Move and sold it as an add on a few years into the console's life.

Ryoku

Really depends on how Nintendo tries to market the Gamepad as such. If they market it astonishingly well as the perfect media remote, then sure, we might go somewhere in that area.

I don't see why anyone would buy any of them over the other based on there media capabilities when there are way better options out there. None can compete with my virgin media and apple TV combo. Just the apple TV / iphone or ipad combo is really impressive.

From E3 it appears Sony might be going back to concentrating mainly on games while microsoft are trying the PS3 route and nintendo are doing..... well, they are doing there nintendo thing. I think consoles do need to have media integration to survive but I don't think they should be the main focus because practically everyone has alternatives to those things offered.

onQ123

Sony just need to slap XBMC on there and be done with it. Something like that would make it an instabuy for me.

I think the PS4 is going to come with GoogleTV but I'm talking about how it will be controlled out of the box. I know it will be able to be controlled by Smart Phones & tablets & things like that but I don't think they should depend on that & have a good way to control the media right out of the box.

It won't play blu ray, dvds, MP3s or video files. It's pretty unlikely unless your definition of media doesn't extend past Netflix streaming.

Wildesy

How is a media controller even moderately close to be as important as games on a gaming system?

Also 'media controlling' to 95% of people to directional control and the ability to press a button to select the highlighted option. It's a pretty straightforward process, the tablet hardly revolutionises it.

Dunlop

Listening to GiantBombs podcast about how the tablet on the controller is I doubt it.

People who expect this thing to be like the Ipad/Smartphone they are currently using will be sorely dissapointed as it is an enlarged DS screen type interaction.

plainr_

Xbox media center on Playstation will not happen. I do hope we get more file support, I'm sick of converting my videos just to make them play on ps3.

XBMC is no longer associated with Xbox.

With the rumored x86 design of the PS4, let's hope they (Sony) take another shot at OtherOS. XBMC could then be possible on a console.

Perhaps with a capacitive touch screen, but I find resistance touch screens incredibly frustrating to use (based on my DS, 3DS and Sat-Nav experience) without a stylus, thanks to my big (not fat !) fingers.

Anyway, they got it right decades ago, with the remote control. If it ain't broke and all that.

madmackem

It won't play blu ray, dvds, MP3s or video files. It's pretty unlikely unless your definition of media doesn't extend past Netflix streaming.

This, there is no way people will be using this as there sole media box when it doesnt even play damn dvds let alone any hd disc media.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Has this been confirmed?

No and its very unlikely that they wont support mp3 when even 3DS has mp4 support. Im pretty sure that there will mp4 support for videos too, especially since they are highlighting the fact that a single user could share new internet videos with his his family.

acm2000

i have no idea how, since i can already control my xbox on my phone/tablet already using companion app, i can stream any music/video/pictures on my phone direct to my xbox too, and soon the smartglass stuff

Goodlife

The decision not to play Blu-Rays on the WiiU is stupid, especially if this is a being sold as a family friendly living room device.
Mum and dad watching the news, child 1 watching DVD on uPad, child 2 playing downloaded version of NSMBU
etc.

RagnarokX

The GamePad can be used as a universal remote. That's what the OP is talking about. If people are using the GamePad as their universal remote for all of their media devices it could have a commanding presence.
Listening to GiantBombs podcast about how the tablet on the controller is I doubt it.

People who expect this thing to be like the Ipad/Smartphone they are currently using will be sorely dissapointed as it is an enlarged DS screen type interaction.

Oh come now we KNOW that's not true. DS screen couldn't read fingers and all the footage from E3 showed it working with fingers just as well as an iphone screen. Even the 3DS works with fingers, though not as well as the GamePad. You don't need multitouch for a universal remote.

SmokyDave

The GamePad can be used as a universal remote. That's what the OP is talking about. If people are using the GamePad as their universal remote for all of their media devices it could have a commanding presence.

Doesn't the gamepad have a 3 hour battery life?

I honestly can't see the appeal over using my phone, tablet, or existing universal remote. Will it even work with Apple TV, Roku etc.. or will you just be able to turn the TV on and adjust the volume? I'm betting on the latter.

Who's that in your avatar, Dave?
Jeremy Hunt.

RagnarokX

I honestly can't see the appeal over using my phone, tablet, or existing universal remote. Will it even work with Apple TV, Roku etc.. or will you just be able to turn the TV on and adjust the volume? I'm betting on the latter.

Jeremy Hunt.

Battery ratings are usually at max settings and using the thing like playing a game. Using it as a remote wouldn't be battery intensive. My 3DS lasts over a day if I keep it in sleep mode, and it's doing stuff in sleep mode. GamePad can be turned off to save battery as well.

DjRoomba

Banned

Jeremy Hunt.

yeah this is a good point. I have two controllers for tv and cable, cant imagine this Wii U remote will work with both, if even one of the two. Especially not Foxtel here in Aus. But the appeal over the iphone is definately there, cos Wifi is weak in my living room, and Im sure othas got this problem too. And just in general dont ever see myself controlling tv with my iphone or ipad, sorry

madmackem

Oh come now we KNOW that's not true. DS screen couldn't read fingers and all the footage from E3 showed it working with fingers just as well as an iphone screen. Even the 3DS works with fingers, though not as well as the GamePad. You don't need multitouch for a universal remote.

It depends how customisable it will be as a media remote, speaking as someone who has in the past spent £299 on a remote for it to hold any water with the type of people who would use it as one it has to offer that from button layouts to backgrounds and on button multi activity.

I just cant see it being anywhere near as good to appeal to people who are into universal remotes, other than people who might use it as a passing interest.

RagnarokX

It depends how customisable it will be as a media remote, speaking as someone who has in the past spent £299 on a remote for it to hold any water with the type of people who would use it as one it has to offer that from button layouts to backgrounds and on button multi activity.

I just cant see it being anywhere near as good to appeal to people who are into universal remotes, other than people who might use it as a passing interest.

But everyone who buys a WiiU is getting the media remote for free. They aren't buying it for that feature but they might still use it. And if they do use it, the WiiU would have a big place in the living room. They aren't even going to try with people that already spent that much money on a remote.

But this is all speculation. We don't even know if WiiU can control more than just a TV yet.

madmackem

But everyone who buys a WiiU is getting the media remote for free. They aren't buying it for that feature but they might still use it. And if they do use it, the WiiU would have a big place in the living room. They aren't even going to try with people that already spent that much money on a remote.

But this is all speculation. We don't even know if WiiU can control more than just a TV yet.

It would be a massive let down if it couldnt i mean it has ir so pretty much opens it up to control nearly everything.

Kokonoe

Banned
I just want a homebrew application for PC that lets me stream my PC to the device so I can play PC games and emulators off it like Dolphin.

LCfiner

Why would you need a capacitive screen for remote functionality?

because I have owned resistive touchscreens on remote controls like the philips pronto or harmony 1000 before and they suck.

There is no way that Nintendo can create software that will be easy and painless enough to use to make the Wii U screen the best media controller around. they just don't don't make great menu/ UI software. Their shops and system menus on all their systems are passable at best

FyreWulff

because I have owned resistive touchscreens on remote controls like the philips pronto or harmony 1000 before and they suck.

There is no way that Nintendo can create software that will be easy and painless enough to use to make the Wii U screen the best media controller around. they just don't don;t make great menu/ UI software. Their shops and system menus on all their systems are passable at best

Not all resistive screens are created equal. The Wii U pad's touch sensitivity is going to be miles and miles ahead of the harmony remote's.

Top Bottom