• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if the Wii U Tablet is the best Media Controller?

majik13

I will definetly appreciate being able to turn on the tv and switch inputs and adjust volume with the gamepad. I dont expect much unoversal media control outside that. Especially at launch. But I suppose I could see them letting you add codes ( thats how it works right?)

Netflix will be great with this out of the box. but I stream all my other media off my ps3 with PMS.
I doubt Wii U will have anything like that and be DNLA compliant

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
4UZAJ.jpg

FyreWulff said:
Not all resistive screens are created equal. The Wii U pad's touch sensitivity is going to be miles and miles ahead of the harmony remote's.

So the touch sensitivity will be better? The thing with the WiiU controller, is that it will probably not be interacting with other third party devices like the other options out there will be.

A media controller will only be as good as the media player it controls and there's nothing on that front to make me think the WiiU will be amazing.

FyreWulff

4UZAJ.jpg

So the touch sensitivity will be better? The thing with the WiiU controller, is that it will probably not be interacting with other third party devices like the other options out there will be.

Yes? It's been reported numerous times that it picks up the lightest touch of a finger. And it's confirmed that it has universal remote functionality (and it'd need to be, anyway)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Would be nice, but just by what we've seen of Nintendo's 'online' and the fact that 3DS groups can only be labeled with one letter, let's just say that technology is not their strongest point.

onQ123

Sometimes I scare myself,but hey this isn't about me.

Gaf when it come to using your console for multimedia functions what do you think will be better.

Wii U Pad?

Kinect 2?

DualShock 4 with touchpad & maybe PlayStationEye3D? (if it's packed in)

Gaf when it come to using your console for multimedia functions what do you think will be better.

Wii U Pad?

Kinect 2?

WiiU Pad by virtue of having a developer-customisable interface.

Wii U Pad?

Kinect 2?

What.

Somnid

A lot of people seem confused, going off on irrelevant tangents or don't really want to discuss the OP's ideas.

But I think the Wii U does and will have the best overall multimedia setup. Even if Durago really steps up it's implementation of Smartglass it seems unlikely to have the IR blaster functions that allow Wii U to play with other devices and it would certainly lack the streaming ability (or it could do it all and be wildly expensive). Same with Orbis, although we have a better idea of where they are going and it doesn't look like they'll match any of the major points. I'm also doubting disc/file based media play is all that important anymore. Everyone I know is primarily Netflix + Amazon.

I think in the long run Nintendo just needs to keep up TVii and remote functions. They aren't completely there but the promise is solid. Also be sure to keep adding VOD services. If they can do that I don't think there's much chance they'll be matched.

The Wii U pad would make a better media controller if the box supported more media features. I "watched" the Super Bowl on Tvii yesterday, and it was behind by a minute or so and only about 40 or so people were on to participate in the polls.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The box that can play blu-rays and dvd's, stream files from my PC as standard, have like 250gb+ of storage space packed in, and allow access to Netflix/Lovefilm subscriptions without having to pay for an added service.

massoluk

Banned
It's not capacitive.

You push multiple buttons at the same time a lot on your remote?

Though I still have to grab the old cable remote control for DVR function, Wii U Pad already is my main TV controller, also thanks to Amazon integration.

Let's see if they follow up with other media player.

PaulLFC

Wii U Pad?

Kinect 2?

The PS4. PS3 already has very good media support, and doesn't charge you an additional fee to use services you already subscribe to like Netflix.

It surely is THE BEST Youtube experience. Not the Youtube App. That sucks. But the Web version. You can play a video and "send" that tab to the TV and at the same time you can select the next video on the pad and start buffering that and immediately fire that onto the TV once the previous video has stopped.
And you have curtains ;)

Oppo

OP not familiar with HDMI / CEC?

I've been using my Panasonic TV remote to control the PS3 for years. Is not an issue.

kinggroin

Banned
It certainly has the potential to be. It already has the leg up on the competition as far as having the display built right into the controller, but I'm not confident Nintendo will provide the tools or software to leverage this strength.

TVii is a great start, and everyone who saw how I was watching the Superbowl yesterday with it, were impressed:

Wii U Pad?

Kinect 2?

Whichever system actually lets me use blu-ray discs as well as stream content from my local network.

It certainly has the potential to be. It already has the leg up on the competition as far as having the display built right into the controller, but I'm not confident Nintendo will provide the tools or software to leverage this strength.

TVii is a great start, and everyone who saw how I was watching the Superbowl yesterday with it, were impressed:

honest question: wouldn't the battery be close to dying at the end of a 4 hour sporting event?

Also, any tablet running espn's game center would have a similar, if not superior, experience

dwu8991

Banned
A lot of people seem confused, going off on irrelevant tangents or don't really want to discuss the OP's ideas.

But I think the Wii U does and will have the best overall multimedia setup. Even if Durago really steps up it's implementation of Smartglass it seems unlikely to have the IR blaster functions that allow Wii U to play with other devices and it would certainly lack the streaming ability (or it could do it all and be wildly expensive). Same with Orbis, although we have a better idea of where they are going and it doesn't look like they'll match any of the major points. I'm also doubting disc/file based media play is all that important anymore. Everyone I know is primarily Netflix + Amazon.

I think in the long run Nintendo just needs to keep up TVii and remote functions. They aren't completely there but the promise is solid. Also be sure to keep adding VOD services. If they can do that I don't think there's much chance they'll be matched.

Yeah,

Here's the thing:

Watch on game pad, then switch over to tv and vice versa

Incredibly easy and simple to use, no lag !

Netflix is amazing, it will continue your progress at exactly the same point when you switch it off like for some gaming or internet when you go back to the same program

The surround sound is also amazing on the Wii U + GamePad

Can't say enough how good and immersive having the surround sound is !!!

dwu8991

Banned

The TVii comments exceeded my expectations !!!

Very funny at half time reading about Beyonce stealing the show, Doritos commercial being the best and how New Orleans didn't pay their power bill !

kinggroin

Banned

Very funny at half time reading about Beyonce stealing the show, Doritos commercial being the best and how New Orleans didn't pay their power bill !

Yeah, the social features really put it over the top. I think Nintendo needs to localize the assets as a system app to improve touch response and speed however.

can't believe i didn't think to turn on mine during the superbowl

kinggroin

Banned
honest question: wouldn't the battery be close to dying at the end of a 4 hour sporting event?

Also, any tablet running espn's game center would have a similar, if not superior, experience

You will be able to buy a significantly bigger battery soon, or, use the wall charger when you're running low. Its hardly a big deal at all since you're going to mostly be hanging around one spot for an extended period of time.

The Wii U gamepad is being positioned to handle all remote control needs, so having one less device to socialize for TV content is nice. Also, game center doesn't interface with other Wii U owners, nor does it handle content outside of sports. TVii being a centralized all-in-one hub is key, assuming it continues to improve (DVR control and management, Netflix integration etc).

Berg

TVii NEEDS physical button browsing. I don't know what it is, but my calloused fingers don't navigate well.

Super bowl was fun with TVii, I looooveee stats.
They need to get NHL on there too.

kinggroin

Banned
TVii NEEDS physical button browsing. I don't know what it is, but my calloused fingers don't navigate well.

Super bowl was fun with TVii, I looooveee stats.

Live comments from Wii U owners, and poll voting was fun. Also love seeing the field play diagrams.

They NEED to integrate PPV events next.

Yeah,

Here's the thing:

Watch on game pad, then switch over to tv and vice versa

Incredibly easy and simple to use, no lag !

Netflix is amazing, it will continue your progress at exactly the same point when you switch it off like for some gaming or internet when you go back to the same program

The surround sound is also amazing on the Wii U + GamePad

Can't say enough how good and immersive having the surround sound is !!!
What? I thought these streaming services didn't support surround sound? (essentially because of LPCM only support)

Calamari41

41 > 38
All I know is that I turn my WiiU on every day to watch Netflix/Hulu, while I haven't touched my PS3 or 360 in months. The interface for the streaming services is far superior on WiiU than it is on the Roku that I was using before. I don't have cable, so I can't speak to how convenient TVii is. For Blurays, I have a player that came free with my TV. I just can't imagine a better input device than a touchscreen for this kind of thing, to be honest.

I can see a lot of families using the WiiU as their primary entry point for TV/streaming. If Nintendo would incorporate a "What's new on the eShop" kind of advertising like Microsoft does upon startup, I could see that having a profound effect on sales

dwu8991

Banned
What? I thought these streaming services didn't support surround sound? (essentially because of LPCM only support)

It supports surround sound between the TV and the gamepad.

So if you're watching from the game pad, you feel the surround sound coming from the tv

Or if you watching the tv, you feel the sound vibration going though the game pad

If you're playing NBA 2K, you can really feel it when the crowd starts getting involved !

Wii U Pad?

Kinect 2?

Put it this way. I've taken the batteries out of my logitech remote and my Wii U is hooked up to my default HDMI port.

grBmOfi.jpeg

Pretty sure your TV says 2nd and 2 at around the 12:00 minute mark while the Wii says 1st and 10 and 15:00 (i.e. it thinks the game hasn't even started yet). In my experience, just using something like the Yahoo Sports app on iPad/iPhone is much faster and better.

Burai

shitonmychest57
It would be an amazing media remote.

Shame about Nintendo. No Blu-ray, no DVD, no CD, no MP3, no DLNA, no hope.

Cartman86

Banned
If the 720 is what we expect with some sort of cable integration, quick loading apps, and just general smart integration then the control interface won't matter. Especially with the load times and Microsoft's app support precedent. The cool Wii U stuff like sending the video to the big screen is only cool when you are using a good web browser. One that's with you not just when you are switched over to the WiiU and in the right app. Doing that on the WiiU is an evwnt. The ideal would be for it to be on a whim. Microsoft has a much better opportunity here to get this right for a variety of reasons pointed out many times. Support phones and tablets for sending to the TV etc.

kinggroin

Banned
Pretty sure your TV says 2nd and 2 at around the 12:00 minute mark while the Wii says 1st and 10 and 15:00 (i.e. it thinks the game hasn't even started yet). In my experience, just using something like the Yahoo Sports app on iPad/iPhone is much faster and better.

That's because that scrollable list on the right corresponds with the graphical field action. I had it scrolled to a previous moment in the game to show the picture, and so, it changed the info on the left.

I assure, it keeps up just fine with the game.

Also, you guys saying "so-and-so app is better on my iPad" are missing the point here. I've no doubt there are apps on my phone or iPad that do certain things better, but this isn't doing just one thing, or doing it detached from the rest of the system services. Unless I'm missing something and our android and iOS apps that would have to be downloaded seperately for each feature (hell, each TV station and or provider) also allows direct communication with other android and iOS owners from the same interface.

Microsoft is the only other competitor I can see offering something as promising, or better. They have all these TVii features in place, just not interconnected (separate apps for each kind of event) but at least directly tied into the system features (avatar usage and chatting etc.) All they need is a hub.

Edit: To add a bit. If MS's solution requires an external device to work the same as the Wii U, then you have added cost. If they go with the overlay, I don't see that being optimal at all. The biggest draw to this stuff is having the main feed be uninterrupted while you use the device in your hands to for the auxiliary stuff. For this reason, I'm hoping the next controller has an LCD of some kind built in, with optional support for external displays like android and iOS devices. This would be ideal IMO.

If the wii u becomes the best media controller without some major fucking software upgrades, no one's going to care. Their interface is fucking horrible and it doesn't even work with any dvrs besides tivo. I was pretty disappointed.

kinggroin

Banned
If the wii u becomes the best media controller without some major fucking software upgrades, no one's going to care. Their interface is fucking horrible and it doesn't even work with any dvrs besides tivo. I was pretty disappointed.

No one cares now, Lol.

It needs a LOT of work.

It supports surround sound between the TV and the gamepad.

So if you're watching from the game pad, you feel the surround sound coming from the tv

Or if you watching the tv, you feel the sound vibration going though the game pad

If you're playing NBA 2K, you can really feel it when the crowd starts getting involved !
Okay. I guess you've got a very liberal definition of surround sound, considering these are the same 2 channels (which was my question).

Raistlin

No matter how good the controller or interface are, it comes down to actual content/partnerships and A/V quality

onQ123

I think the Touchpad is going to be The PS4's Ace in the Hole it's going to enable the PS4 to be a part of the Touch Generation & the OS can be built around having a multi-touch control interface.

d1047434-f4e8-4b1f-8d4b-16d04c132139.jpg

HT4721-Mission_Control_ML-001-en.png

it might not be quite like having the big touch pad on a Mac but it should get the job done.

QaaQer

I think the Touchpad is going to be The PS4's Ace in the Hole it's going to enable the PS4 to be a part of the Touch Generation & the OS can be built around having a multi-touch control interface.

d1047434-f4e8-4b1f-8d4b-16d04c132139.jpg

HT4721-Mission_Control_ML-001-en.png

it might not be quite like having the big touch pad on a Mac but it should get the job done.

It is a great addition to the controller despite what some naysayers might think.

It's too bad the ninty TV controller thing turned out to be underwhelming.

Top Bottom