• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Survival Horror Game Ever (besides RE4)?

7 years after release, I have FINALLY finished RE4 on 'Pro'. I played through the Wii and PS3 HD versions (only normal mode for the former) and I just have to say the game has aged quite gracefully and I'm convinced it is one of the best survival horror games ever.

That said, as much as I do love that universe, it's time to move on. Does it get any better than RE4? Does anyone have any must play suggestions for this genre?

trw

7 years after release, I have FINALLY finished RE4 on 'Pro'. I played through the Wii and PS3 HD versions (only normal mode for the former) and I just have to say the game has aged quite gracefully and I'm convinced it is one of the best survival horror games ever.

That said, as much as I do love that universe, it's time to move on. Does it get any better than RE4? Does anyone have any must play suggestions for this genre?

Most will say RE4 is survival-action not survival-horror.

For more typical survival-horror, I think Silent Hill 2 or System Shock 2 is the highpoint of the genre and those two will never be topped.

This could become a nasty back and forth between how much gunplay people like in their horror-themed games and whether or not a game with tons of third person shooting and quick time events can really be called 'survival' horror.

Silent Hill 2 for life, by the way.

It depends on what type of survival horror you want.

Dead Space is action-horror (shootbang?), Amnesia is definitely straight up survival-horror, etc.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
silent-hill-001.jpg

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Not sure if I'd call it a straight survival horror game, but Alan Wake was phenomenal, and it scared me more than many other games in that category. In some ways it felt to me like RE4.

Ya clearly there is some distinction between survival horror and survival action, guessed I shoulda mentioned that, heh. I love them both though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Yes it does, Silent Hill (earlier titles) and RE2. If you haven't played RE2, go play it.

Main thing RE4 nails is the atmosphere (in the village) and good gun play. Dead Space has both of these. The gameplay is superior and so is the atmosphere (play it in the dark with head phones on)

Beth Cyra

Hmm for me it's easily Remake followed by Silent Hill.

Re4 doesn't even make my top five. Still really need to play Amnesia, bought it like a year ago or something and still haven't even started it.

Tain

"Survival Horror" is about as loose as you can get, so we're going to see a massive range of horror-themed games in here.

I also recommend F.E.A.R. it's a pretty creepy game! Make sure to check all the answering machines though, otherwise you will miss the story.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
SH 1 and 2 > RE4 as a horror game.There I said it.

Add RE1, RE2, and RE3 to the left side. In fact, I would label RE4 as a survival action game instead of a survival horror game. It does have a lot of gory death scenes but that's the only "scary" thing going for it.

I have finished REmake and Silent Hill 2, both great games. Didn't do quite as much for me as RE4, but very high on my list for sure. Definitely interested in Fatal Frame, Siren and Amnesia as per the comments so far.

Surely I can’t be the 1st to mention the REmake ?!?!?!

you're the second, but you're the first to throw all their weight behind it. let me join you.

RE:make. SH2 is a good game, but it's way too easy, and drops the ball on the all important ammo and health item resource management stuff that's a huge part of what makes a game a survival horror game.

and it's something i don't think any game has done nearly as well as RE:make.

Lots of good replies so far.

I'd like to add in Call of Duty World At War (zombie mode) and Luigi's Mansion.

Don't forget S.T.A.L.K.E.R. those underground sewer areas are super creepy!! I had a difficult time playing the game.

I dunno about Luigi's Mansion though

I've always considered older Silent Hill games as psychological horror games. If the SH games count then I would say SH2, SH3, REmake and RE2 are the only games that could approach RE4.

REmake was probably the biggest surprise of all. I don't think anyone would have believed such an amazing game could have been made for the Gamecube back then. It's certainly one of the top three best horror games ever made.

Nothing beats Silent Hill 1 in this man's humble opinion. Scary as hell. I literally would get so shaken I would have to stop playing. Great music, great characters, somewhat confusing story but who cares, the main guy was confused too. All around it's the perfect survival horror game. Your guy shoots like shit, runs out of breath easily and can trip and fall down stairs.

The worst part now is the graphics don't hold up but that's the case with many PS1 era games.

meta4

I have finished REmake and Silent Hill 2, both great games. Didn't do quite as much for me as RE4, but very high on my list for sure. Definitely interested in Fatal Frame, Siren and Amnesia as per the comments so far.

Siren is very scary. One has to be pretty brave to play Siren in the night. Best of luck :)

Siren 2 easily. Siren 1 has a slightly better story, but Siren 2 has drastically better gameplay, as well as some general technology upgrades.

It's a shame that you can't get Siren 2 in the US since it's the best game in the series (Siren PS3 is still fun but it's a lot shorter and a little too easy compared to the other ones).

Top Bottom