• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mafia 3 in development for PS4/720, was launch title, likely delayed

ekim

Eurogamer English

Eurogamer said:
Mafia 3 is in development for the next Xbox and PlayStation 4, according to our Czech Republic cousins at Eurogamer.cz.

Eurogamer.cz's story (translated into English for Eurogamer by Jan Doskocil, the author of the report), reveals that the gangster sequel had been intended as a next-gen launch title, but this is now unlikely as the developer, 2K Czech, is still in the process of staffing up after the loss of some 40 staff last year.

11 positions are available at 2K Czech, including one for a systems designer. These job listings say the developer is working on its "next AAA title".

2k Czech declined to comment when contacted by Eurogamer.cz.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-07-mafia-3-heading-to-next-xbox-ps4-report

---

Bad Translated News

yet unannounced third installment of mafia action, one of the most famous domestic brands from the Brno studio 2K Czech, and will be targeting the next generation of consoles. Eurogamer recently told a few insider sources.

According to them, but the Mafia 3 misses most likely be starting the next game console (estimated at the turn of 2013/2014), but will appear sometime later in their life cycle. How are these sources said, the game is still in an early stage and it is not much to show the public, so Gamescom next week certainly will not be presented.

There are quite more information in it.
I really liked Mafia 2 for it's fantastic and breathing city. Best open world this gen. (yeah I designedly omitted the word 'game')
Hopefully they include all their pledges this time.

Sorry if old.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonus News (not worth a dedicated thread):
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/06/microsoft-references-new-xbox-for-first-time

Brian Hall talks about the "new Xbox":
“We’ve had Hotmail and operated Hotmail for about 16 years. We obviously have Exchange, and Outlook, that people use at work, we just decided it was time to do something new and bring the best from each of those and put them together and release it right in time for the new wave of products that we could have coming out with Windows 8, with the new version of Office, with the new Windows Phone and the new Xbox.”

Stakes are high, he just references the Xbox361 because it reads like it will come out alongside Windows 8.

glaurung

Mafia II was a weird game, with so many bugs and problems. But it did have heart and I persevered with it until the end (PS3 version at launch).

Considering the leap that they took from the first game to the second, I have nothing but high hopes for the third title. Bring it.

Sethos

Banned
Mafia was one of my all-time favorites, Mafia II felt a bit muddled. Fun car handling, story was a bit so-so, the progression within the Mafia left a bit to be desired and the overall ending of it all was also a bit eh. If they could make a game more along the lines of the first, then I'm down.

Regarding 'the new Xbox', he probably meant the new dashboard update. That comes out in the same period Windows 8 and Phone 8 come out. Actually, I'm 100% sure he meant that.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Regarding 'the new Xbox', he probably meant the new dashboard update. That comes out in the same period Windows 8 and Phone 8 come out. Actually, I'm 100% sure he meant that.
He said "new wave of products". Definitely doesn't sound like the dashboard update.

CloudWolf

I'm conflicted. The first game is one of my favorites of all time, but I really didn't enjoy the sequel. I'll wait for more info.

Mafia 2 is the only open world game that got the car weight feel right, usually in open world shooters cars feel like they're made of plastic

c0Zm1c

I played through Mafia II recently, after buying it in the summer Steam sale. It feels like it shouldn't work, being starved of many of the longstanding traditions we're now accustomed to in open world games. But I really loved it. I'm looking forward to the next game.

Hyuga

Banned
sure it does

I dont like how the author made that kind of assumption without any fact behind it. The wii u is a next gen system just like whatever microsoft and sony are cooking.

So you know how much "power" the PS4/Xbox720 has?
Tell me more.....

Riggs

Banned
Wow you guys actually enjoyed Mafia 2? I loved the first game.

The 2nd is beyond boring. But I guess OP is covering himself by not calling it a game ....

Me and my friend were so beyond hyped for Mafia 2. Then we played it =/

Again, that game is so boring it's unreal.

Midou

The 2nd is beyond boring. But I guess OP is covering himself by not calling it a game ....

Most places I post on, everyone hates it, but I did actually enjoy it.

I played the first game for the first time about a year before Mafia 2 came out, it is awesome but it's so fucking infuriating too. The game tends to save when allies are at low life and the AI is awful, the protection missions are just some of the worst I can think of.

When I beat Mafia 1, I was like, I just want a cool atmosphere and modern day controls and gameplay elements, and that is kind of what I got. The huge soundtrack of era music made the driving around the town awesome for me, since I could listen to that music forever. The missions and such were pretty forgettable but I think the feel of it all was pretty good. When he first arrives in town at the start in winter and Dean Martin's 'Let it snow' starts to play, I was instantly hooked.

Yeah I guess most of that makes it seem like a good something and not a good game, I'm okay with this I suppose.

Detox

Let's hope they can keep the atmosphere of the prior two games now that Daniel Vavra their writer and director has left.

Vlodril

I am one of the few that actually looved Mafia 2 so thats great news to me. I was thinking that due to not so good sales they might scrap the series but good news.

sure it does

I dont like how the author made that kind of assumption without any fact behind it. The wii u is a next gen system just like whatever microsoft and sony are cooking.

The rumor directly from their source's mouth is PS4/720. You cannot will the WiiU to be on par with newer technology with likely 2-4x the RAM.

Fjordson

I really, really liked it. But admittedly, I didn't really play it like an open-world game. Didn't have much desire to explore the world or whatever and I basically did zilch outside of the story missions (were their side activies? I don't even know).

But those aforementioned missions were pretty fun. I enjoyed the story and characters, despite the so-so ending, liked how the various cars handled, and I thought they did a nice job with the look and feel of the 40's and 50's.

Also remember it having a pretty dope soundtrack.

omonimo

Banned
Mafia 2 on ps3 is atrocious... I can't believe the only Mafia available on ps3 is that bad porting... too easy for them to do Mafia 3 in a ps4...

The rumor directly from their source's mouth is PS4/720. You cannot will the WiiU to be on par with newer technology with likely 2-4x the RAM.

The rumor is unclear at best, it doesnt name systems from the links I clicked. It doesnt have to be on par to get the same games. It just has to be scalable enough, which every indication would indicate it is

Will get the PC version, as with all the Mafias.

Hope it turns as big as the first one, it was clearly unfinished from what you could play sadly (although I still love it, the garden assassination, damn!). There are even some trailers with cinematics and gameplay that dont appear in the game.

rvy

Banned
If it's like Mafia II, not really interested. Another open world game filled with nothing to do except the main story and collecting stuff.

Arnie

Mafia 2 was genuinely one of my favourite games this generation. So underrated. The original Mafia is one of my favourite games of all time. On that note, then, I'd love a Mafia 3 on next generation technology. That's the sort of game that would make me drop £300 on a new console.

Derrick01

Banned
Got Mafia 2 for free with my GPU. It was ok and fun in areas but there was no point in having an open world. There was less side stuff to do than GTA 4, it only existed to funnel you from main story mission to mission. They need to fix that for 3.

Arcteryx

Ewww no thanks. Mafia was great...but Mafia 2 was a HUGE disappointment. I can only see it going downhill from there.

iNvid02

lack of side missions was disappointing, but i loved mafia 2, if they can throw in some extra stuff to do for 3 it will be great

Top Bottom