• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nate Wells (BioShock Infinite Art Director) Leaves Irrational, Joins Naughty Dog

v0mitg0d

Does anyone know if Nate Wells is still working at Irrational Games? Check it out, his bio on Twitter says: "New Job.....details to follow"

https://twitter.com/PrettyLarceny

If this is true--and with their Dev Director being fired last week--I'm a touch worried. :/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does anyone know if Nate Wells is still working at Irrational Games? Check it out, his bio on Twitter says: "New Job.....details to follow"

https://twitter.com/PrettyLarceny

If this is true--and with their Dev Director being fired last week--I'm a touch worried. :/
While they have been losing a lot of senior staff, the project is almost over, so to be fair to irrational it could be because they don't want to do another gigantic dev cycle.

Or the game could be bad, I mean they still haven't let the press play it.

Thats bad news for me, because I really want to play the game! But Im thankful that Irrational is getting the development time that they want/need to make the game they want to make

They game is probably at the point in the dev cycle where there's not much direction needed. I'd assume they're just on polish and bug patrol and any senior guys would be working pre production on their next title.

TheOddOne

iMzSc4iFBuMnv.png

TheOddOne
I know where Nate Wells works.
(Today, 03:05 PM)

Gustav

Banned
They scooping up everyone named Nate now?

And LOL @ "I can't give you specifics". Why post it then if you can't back up your rumors?

That's why I said it was "murmurs". I can't back it up because I was told in person. I don't know if it is true or not.

Edit: This doesn't mean that the game is bad or the dev team has failed. It just means that they struggle(d) to reach their vision. Which is why their products are great. They always aim high.

v0mitg0d

Thanks to the mod who made this a new thread. I don't have those privileges just yet, so it's appreciated.

inky

Do you really think it's worth knowing the specifics if someone's job/identity/respect is on the line? Don't think so.

Not at all, but if that's the case keep it to yourself then. Isn't there a rule around here about having "insider info" and such. I mean, "I heard murmurs" doesn't really tell us anything, and while I would really like to know if the game is really in some danger (because I love Irrational) this doesn't really help.

Gustav

Banned
when they showed the game for the first time, everyone laughed at me when i pointed that out (that they will never manage to make the full game look and play like that). sad to hear, i hope they can make everything work (assuming the rumor is true)

Everybody who makes games or has some understanding of game development knows that what they have shown was super high quality and wouldn't be easy to achieve. Especially for a 6+ hours experience. But that's what I value about them. They always push themselves.

Gustav

Banned
Not at all, but if that's the case keep it to yourself then. Isn't there a rule around here about having "insider info" and such. I mean, "I heard murmurs" doesn't really tell us anything, and while I would really like to know if the game is really in some danger (because I love Irrational) this doesn't really help.

It's not in any danger, that's not what I wanted to imply. All it means is that supposedly they struggle(d) to reach the bar they set for themselves. As most devs do.

Edit: I changed to original message to not make it sound so dramatic.

Hindle

Banned
Those previews they showed were incredible yet I got a sense they also very scripted. I really hope they pull it off as it could be the overall best game of this gen imo if they do.

v0mitg0d

It's interesting to speculate and chat amongst ourselves about this, however I think we should all remember we don't know any of the facts yet.

Yes I agree it doesn't look good--especially with the Dev Director being fired last week--but there is a slight chance the game is doing just fine. It's been in development for ages and I assume they're pretty far along.

Corto

It's interesting to speculate and chat amongst ourselves about this, however I think we should all remember we don't know any of the facts yet.

Yes I agree it doesn't look good--especially with the Dev Director being fired last week--but there is a slight chance the game is doing just fine. It's been in development for ages and I assume they're pretty far along.

Dev Director?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Two top Bioshock Infinite team members leave Irrational

Key members of the development team on Bioshock Infinite have left Irrational Games, raising questions about the state of the highly anticipated title, sources tell Gamasutra.

Tim Gerritsen, director of product development, and art director Nate Wells have both announced their departure. Wells was a 13 year veteran of the studio, whose distinctive style was heralded in the original Bioshock.

Wells confirmed his departure via his Twitter feed, changing his bio to "New Job … Details to follow" earlier today. (He has since changed it again after members of the NeoGAF forums began speculating about the circumstances of his career shift.)

His LinkedIn page briefly listed Naughty Dog among his employers in 2012, leading to speculation he had joined the Uncharted developer. He has since removed that – and updated the page to reflect his departure from Irrational.

Gerritsen lists his employment at Irrational as having ended this month on his LinkedIn page. While at the company, he oversaw directly managed the content creators for Bioshock Infinite and listed his duties as "interfacing with our corporate home base and publishing partners, strategic level partners and vendors, conducting contract negotiation, strategic level planning, hiring and recruitment, and supervising our day to day development."

Before his tenure at Irrational, Gerritsen was chairman and business director at Human Head Studios.

Gamasutra was unsuccessful in efforts to reach Gerritsen and Wells. An inquiry to Irrational president Ken Levine was not returned.

First announced in 2010, Bioshock Infinite is one of Take-Two's most important games this fiscal year. Previously set for an Oct. 16 launch, Irrational announced a delay in the weeks before E3 with studio head Ken Levine announcing the game would ship instead on Feb. 26, 2013.

"I won’t kid you: Bioshock Infinite is a very big game, and we’re doing things that no one has ever done in a first-person shooter," Levine wrote. "We had a similar experience with the original Bioshock, which was delayed several months as our original ship date drew near. Why? Because the Big Daddies weren’t the Big Daddies you’ve since come to know and love. Because Andrew Ryan’s golf club didn’t have exactly the right swing. Because Rapture needed one more coat of grimy Art Deco. The same principle now applies to Bioshock Infinite."

The game was not shown at E3 and will not be on display at Germany's GamesCom show.

"The next time you see our game, it will be essentially the product we intend to put in the box," Levine said.

The delay and Irrational's decision to sequester itself led to concerns among fans that development on the game had run into troubles. Those concerns have not abated in the subsequent months.

While there have been no indications by the company of any shift in the game's release date, the departures of key team members raises questions. And some industry analysts are skeptical whether Bioshock Infinite will arrive on time.

"We suspect both GTA V and Bioshock Infinite could realistically slip into a fiscal ‘14 release period," says Mike Hickey of Janco Partners.

If that's the case they should just push it to next-gen consoles.

Moving something to next gen doesn't suddenly solve problems. If anything it only adds more problems, more hurdles, more man hours and the smallest possible audience to buy your game.

Yeah sure, it can be made prettier, but that costs money.

While they have been losing a lot of senior staff, the project is almost over, so to be fair to irrational it could be because they don't want to do another gigantic dev cycle.

Or the game could be bad, I mean they still haven't let the press play it.

So much of the polish and touching up happens at the end of a project. You need experienced staff to send a game home.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
awesome but the game should be done by now right?? why would they need an artist at this stage?

maybe he is working on Uncharted 4 or a new IP for PS4
They could be redesigning some stuff. The game could still be a year or more out. Still, ND is a good place for him to land.

Top Bottom