• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Not sustainable": Developers across the industry react to The Last of Us Part 2's $220 million budget

Aenima

Sony is already moving away from funding these big games. They literally announced that 60% of their first party games going forward will be gaas. This is a publisher that made a 100% single player AAA games last gen.
This is false. 60% of planed investment for 2025 is towards gaas. But normal games are also getting a bigger investment copared to 2023. This dosent mean that 60% of the 1st party games will be gaas or shows any sign that Sony is moving away from traditional gaming. They are expanding, not taking away from one side to feed another.

imagick_convert.php

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I get what you're trying to do here. However, in financial reporting and in entertainment they include the total cost under the ip. So yes, that does include Marketing budget.

Like when Studios reveal movie budgets, it's a total cost. Not segmented.

Movie studios don't reveal the marketing costs though, they only list what they are willing to admit they spent on the movie itself.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Tlou p2 is a safe game????

It's culture war criticisms and ND pedestal (for better or for worse) shows it's far from a "safe game." Nothing ND does going forward, regardless of mechanics, etc., is "safe." They are and always will be under a microscope far more than a lot of developers.

There are those that hold them to a high standard due to their tech investment, talent, highly polished, and top production value with attention to detail.

There are those that are pining at them to fail. Waiting for that "fuck up" moment. So much so that they want to conjure up reasons why they think TLoU2 is a failure.

Still, one of, if not the most successful IPs PlayStation has. More so now combined with the HBO series. Well over a billion dollar franchise that is not losing money, nor fubar'ed.

And this is coming from someone who thought the story was so depressing (not fun: I get what Druckmann meant now), that I did not bother to play it a second time for the easy plat. I did enjoy the gameplay, however. Felt satisfying when you pull off some sick moment to moment combat scenarios at a rapid pace with the hit detection and animation systems.

Fuck Druckmann for forcing us to have to kill Alice. Probably the most depressing moment, to me.

Last edited:

Melchiah

This is false. 60% of planed investment for 2025 is towards gaas. But normal games are also getting a bigger investment copared to 2023. This dosent mean that 60% of the 1st party games will be gaas or shows any sign that Sony is moving away from traditional gaming. They are expanding, not taking away from one side to feed another.

imagick_convert.php

True. People just look at the percentages (to push a narrative, perhaps), instead of comparing the fiscal years with each other. There's actually a larger investment in traditional games in 2025 compared to this year, and a similar investment as there was in 2019.

EDIT: Fixes.

Last edited:

Frwrd

Didn't reports a while ago say that Halo Infinite development cost exceeded the $500M mark?

$200M+ nowadays don't seem that much to be honest. I mean, it is a fucking ton of money but most of these games get their money back with ease, some even make profit on release date.

yurinka

I assumed Tlou2 was the one which sold less.
Yes, TLOU2 is the one which sold less. The 17M figure (not 18M as they mention in the article) for TLOU+remaster is from June 2018, five years ago (and obviously doesn't include the TLOUP1 remake).

The most shocking information in this whole thread is that $100M was thrown at Forspoken. Who in their right mind gave the OK on that decision?
The original teaser looked great, and there was a great team behind with a Final Fantasy team plus extra top people like Amy Hennig in the writing. In the early stages, when that money was secured, on paper was a very promising project.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Sony's big games are some of the most highly polished, highly performant, and bug-free games you'll find on the market.
It's good that games like them exist to push the boundaries of being a premium experience.

there's a problem in the indie space in that it's completely flooded with great games.
Are these 20 indie games actually gonna get enough traction to make a solid return?
True, I was a tester for about 1y and of the few games I tested, only a Sony 1st party game (it was a AA one) was absolutely bug free and polished. We, in the test group, were used to buggy, incomplete games *cough* Ubisoft *cough* and that Sony game was ready to ship the next day, only the "report player" button wasn't working in the game.
The game only released 8 months after the test, we had games in complete mess conditions that released in shorter period than that.

Eiknarf

Banned
Well, when’s the release date for the native PS5 version of The Last of Us Part 2?

Playing the PS4 version of TLOU Part 2 (even updated/upgraded) feels like it’s lacking something!! And that “something” is noticeable after playing the PS5 version of The Last of Us Part 1 with the amazing haptic feedback and trigger effects.

Top Bottom