• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA IV ENB Thread - Installation, Tweaking & Custom Vehicles

Sethos

Banned
iba76dlH2Ab7NW.png

ivv9eYSyXDzSs.png

Before We Begin.

Now we’ve had the other ENB thread for some time now, however it’s just a thread of the same questions over and over again, a lacking OP and just a lot of confusion. Now it’s time for a more fleshed out thread with a proper how-to guide and explaining the various patches, game and ENB versions. However I’m not claiming to know everything about ENB, so I’ll cover as much as possible. As an early disclaimer, my knowledge surrounding the EFLC versions and ENB is limited. I’m assuming it’ll behave like the latest version of GTA IV ( 1.0.7.0 ) thus being a limited effect experience only compatible with a few select ENB versions. Right now we’re focusing on two versions: Retail version patched to 1.0.4.0 or Steam versions downgraded to 1.0.4.0.

Why is the 1.0.4.0 patch so special, why doesn’t the latest patch work?

The PC version of GTA IV have had a bit of a hard birth. For every patch, Rockstar basically made a new shader to fix a lot of the game’s problems however that also meant Boris Vorontsov, the guy behind ENB had to re-write the ENB shader. After 1.0.4.0 he basically got fed up and decided not to re-write the shader any more – That means any ENB on versions higher than 1.0.4.0 are not full-feature ENB. Lots of effects will be missing. So when someone claims their ENB is 1.0.7.0 ( Latest patch ) compatible, it basically means they are tested for basic compatibility: No colours that are completely off, image isn’t black, basic features working etc. however it will never look as good as any 1.0.4.0 ENB.

So let us prepare the game, assuming you are on a fresh install.

Retail users: Simple, download the 1.0.4.0 Patch - [ Mirror #1 ]

Steam users: We’re going to be downgrading to 1.0.4.0. Steam servers have the latest version ( 1.0.7.0 ) so we're going to need a downgrade.

Steam users who don't want to downgrade / EFLC users: Skip this downgrade guide. 1.0.7.0 / EFLC compatible files are included in iCEnhancer 2.1

Attention: You have to start GTAIV at least one single time through steam and let it install. After one full start of GTAIV you can begin with this manual.

1. Start Steam, open your Library, right-click on "Grand Theft Auto IV" and click on Properties. Move to the tab "Updates" and change the given option to "Do not automatically update this game".
Close Steam.

2. Download the 1.0.4.0-Patch; for example from here: Click and install it. If an error occurs during the installation you can use this archive that contains the patch as well. Just merge the content of the archive with your GTAIV-Mainfolder and overwrite everything.

3. Download the "Rockstar Social Group Tool" (RGSG): Click, but DO NOT install it!

4. Change the name of your "GTAIV"-Folder (X:\(...)\Steam\SteamApps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV) to something else than "GTAIV". This is important, because otherwise you will have to reinstall GTAIV and start all over again.

5. Now install the RGSG-Tool. It creates a new "GTAIV"-folder with the Tools components in "X:\(...)\Steam\SteamApps\common\grand theft auto iv\". Should the installations be stopped by an error, download this archive: Click
The archive contains the installed RGSG-Tool.

6. Copy the content of this new created "GTAIV" folder (X:\(...)\Steam\SteamApps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV) into your old "GTAIV"-folder, that you renamed before.

7. Erase the "GTAIV"-folder of the RGSG-Tool and rename your old "GTAIV"-folder with its gamecontent back to "GTAIV". The folder should still be in "X:\(...)\Steam\SteamApps\common\grand theft auto iv\".

8. That's it. As long as you do not have rests of incompatible mods, GTAIV should now run perfectly in version 1.0.4.0. It is always the best method to start without mods and then reenabling one for one, until everything is fine.

( Borrowed from http://www.gtagaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128300/ )

Feel free to start the game and verify it works. If it doesn't, ya dun' goof'd. Else you can check out the thread linked above, for any further troubleshooting. ( Now you see why the retail version is preferred )

ibh867fCjnhzU4.png

Okay, what next?

So now we have to install an ENB of our choice. To clarify the entire ordeal surrounding Icenhancer: The guy behind it is not the sole creator of ENB, he isn't the only GTA IV ENB tweaker out there and people need to stop treating him as such. He put in some good work on his excellent ENB versions, his ENB also managed to hit the mainstream eye which is great. So all the "He needs a job at Rockstar!" that is going around is plain stupid and need to stop. But to not drag his work through the mud, the ENB is nice and we'll base this guide on it.

Let's download iCEnhancer 2.1 - http://www.mediafire.com/?2iaiaqb97b2of2q

And his configuration tool - http://www.mediafire.com/?4y8es83wdvj0wx8

Taken from his website - http://icelaglace.com/

( Linking directly to the files. He decided to have them routed through some paid ad shit on his site. Normally I'm totally for supporting artists and developers however his work is in the questionable range of monetary compensation worthiness ).

Backup, something something real men don't take backups.

Before we proceed, you need to decide now how to back up your game in case you want to revert it back to vanilla, in case of problems or because you want to try a different ENB. There's two methods as I see it;

1. Make a copy of the entire prepared GTA IV directory. When / If you want to revert back, you simply delete the primary folder and copy over / remove the "-Copy" from the backed up folder making that the primary folder again.

2. Take notice of every file in the downloaded RAR(s) so you can remove them later, as there's very few overrides but instead more additional files. In case you want to modify vehicles ( Covered later in this guide ), make a backup of these files:

- Vehicles.ide ( Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data )
- Handling.dat ( Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data )
- Carcols.dat ( Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data )
- vehicles.img ( Grand Theft Auto IV\pc\models\cdimages )

If you got the extra space, make a full backup - Much easier.

Let's install it

Now here's where you have to pay attention - This operation will require skill, intellect and lots of patience ( Not really ). Open iCEnhancer 2_1FINAL.zip with your favourite software ( WinRAR, 7zip etc. )

- Drag all the content of the archive from the 1.0.3.0 - 1.0.4.0 - 1.0.0.4 -> iCenhancer 2.1 files folder into your prepared GTA IV folder and accept any folder merging / file replacing.

- Then you look into the .zip archive again and open "Install this if fresh install" Drag that content of that folder into your root folder as well ( Xlive.dll / xlive_d.dll ). This disables GFWL in-game which is required for ENB to work correctly, as GFWL blocks the .dll

- 1.0.7.0 / EFLC users can follow the above, except when you open the .zip archive they need to open the "1.0.7.0 - EFLC" folder instead. That doesn't have any xlive.dll but a shader folder instead, follow the readme within that folder.

The 1.0.7.0 / EFLC version is a watered down butchered version. As explained earlier, the latest full featured ENB shader is for 1.0.4.0 so the 0.7.0 / EFLC version is just a leftovers version that doesn't look very good. I can't help you with this version either as it's a waste of time and I haven't messed around with it whatsoever.

NOTICE: When installing the Xliveless ( xlive.dll ) files, it moves all your savegames from "X:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames" to "X:\Users\Michael\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames" So any downloaded saves / Own save games needs to be manually moved or installed in the new location.

Post-installation

At this point the game is basically ready - Except we haven't tweaked, installed any cars or any mods / trainers. However it'd be nice to confirm it's working at least, right? Start the game via LaunchGTAIV.exe in your root folder ( and make a shortcut if you like easy access ). If the game launched and you can fire up a new game, great. If your game crashed, looks off or text is missing check out the troubleshooting section.

ibcjXH6XKTEx2P.png

Vroom vroom

While ENB is a powerful addition to GTA IV, it's the custom vehicles that makes it all really shine and come together. The great reflection details and the sheer details on some of these cars just brings out the best in the mod. I suggest anyone wanting to give this is a serious try to install at least a car or two to mess around with. It also became a helluva lot easier recently as well-made software was introduced turning the installation process into a 3 click process requiring no effort, up from reading an F16 sized handbook just to install the model.

First you download and install GTA IV Vehicle Mod Installer v1.3. Remember to start the game after installation, that's recommended by some.

Now you need to find a car you'd like installed, stop by GTA4-Mods.com's vehicle section and find something you like. Sort by highest rated or most downloaded, you'll probably find some higher quality models and pay close attention to the star rating. There's lots of bad models out there, beware.

Here's an excellent car and model http://www.gta4-mods.com/vehicles/new-lamborghini-reventon-f3600 if you can't decide on something. Download this and place the .rar somewhere convenient. ( Do not unpack it! )

It's recommended that you install the trainer ( See Mods & Extras ) to spawn vehicles of your choice.

Installing a car

Start up "GTA IV Vehicle Mod Installer" and you'll be greeted by a Permission Configuration screen. You simply have to click the "Configuration" button and it'll find the GTA IV folder and be ready for use. Now click the "Main Panel" button. You will see it has configured the path to your GTA IV folder, if that is incorrect or perhaps pointing to a backup folder, feel free to change it.

Now let's install a the car we've downloaded. In the bottom field, select the "Vehicle Install from archive" field and click the browse button.

ibgv5LEiFXMbbL.png

Find the .rar you downloaded and point towards that, simply click next.

The next screen is a verification of the content, the output on this screen will vary according to how many files included. Some downloaded cars have colour files, a new handling and extras on the car - Some however is just a basic model with just one field.

You will notice the green checkmarks, some models you download will leave a red checkmark making it unable to install - That means the file in question doesn't keep to the established structure - Usually happens with the colour or handling file. If you still want to install the car, just click the red checkmark and deselect the problem file and you can still install the car.

This time however it's all green and ready to go, press next.

ibjPAIBqLkgTAp.png

This is the screen where you pick which vehicle to replace. Usually the creator has given it a name within the file that identifies which car it's going to replace, so it'll automatically pick the car. However sometimes it's a generic name and you have to pick which vehicle you'd like to replace. It doesn't matter which car you pick, you can replace a truck with a Ferrari and if the downloaded Ferrari has colours, a handling file and all that it'll drive like a Ferrari. If it doesn't, it'll handle like a truck.

You will notice the "Your Vehicle Name", that does NOT represent in-game name. That is merely for your own convenience within the Vehicle Mod Installer to see which vehicle you've replaced something with. So you can put in something to identify it with. Leave it blank and nothing will show up next to it, however it'll still show up as blue to signify it has been replaced.

Press next and the car is installed, it's that simple.

iby6OhXxUAjGyg.png

Note, it is possible to install vehicles as additional vehicles and not replace existing ones however I will not be covering that.

Whoa, the car I installed suck - I want to change it back!

As I mentioned earlier, plenty of crappy cars out there and anyone who starts messing around with lots of custom cars will probably stumble on one or two. However it's no problem, especially not with this piece of software - Restoration takes but a second.

On the main panel, instead of hitting "Vehicle install from X", click "Original vehicle restore" and click next, pick the vehicle you want restored ( Custom name ( If you've specified one ) will appear on the right side of the vanilla name, so if you have a huge list of names it'll be easier to identify each car and their replacement ). Click next on the vehicle and voilà - Vehicles restored ... Simple.

i15kSt47u3VTG.png

izOAvXavYuDyz.png

GTA IV also a lot of mods, ranging from huge robots, zombies, weapons and sounds to skins, entirely new islands and texture packs. However that could almost have an entire thread of its own as the installation process can be quite complicated and it's probably something you should slowly discover on your own. I will however add a select few to this section that doesn't require much and maybe I'll update the section with new ones along the way.

In this section I won't baby the explanations too much, I'll just tell you which files and where and how to get it working.

The very first thing that is required for any mod is some way to enable them, which we'll be doing with a Scripthook and an ASI Loader compatible with our installation.

Basic files & Trainer

Download:

GTA IV ASI Loader v1.0.2.0b

- Drop the dsound.dll ( Don't need the rest ) into your root GTA IV directory.

GTA IV C++ ScriptHook Redistributable v0.3.0

- Drop the ScriptHook.dll into your root GTA IV directory.

inGame Trainer v1.9.0

- Drop InGameTrainer.asi, InGameTrainer.ClothInfo.dat, InGameTrainer.ini, InGameTrainerKeys.txt into your root GTA IV directory.

Now you have the groundwork to install some mods and you now also have an In-game trainer.

Using the trainer: When you've got a game loaded, press F1 and a menu will appear. Simply navigate the menu with Numpad keys 8, 2 and 4, 6 for directional navigation and Backspace to exit. The menus and possibilities will be fairly apparent and there's TONS of stuff to toy around with. Especially help at spawning cars when you've installed a new one.

At times the trainer can take a minute to load, because it hasn't properly hooked yet. Just give it some time and try again.

First person view

Download:

First Person Mod v1.1

- Drop FirstPerson.asi, FirstPerson.ini and dsound.dll ( Replace existing ) into root GTA IV directory.

Using First Person: When in-game, double-tap the change view key ( Default V ).

NOTICE: These mods I'm listing are for unless stated otherwise for patch 1.0.4.0. I do not guarantee them working with any other version and won't provide any support. In case of mod related crashes see the Troubleshoot section.

iIRFNRPWFD3V7.png

Crashes, where's my text, my PC is on fire!

Unfortunately, as with any modding project there's always room for errors and problems, this definitely ain't an exception. Below is a list of common errors and problems. I've tried to add as many of the problems as I could, however feel free to suggest in the topic any additional troubleshoot points I need to add. Also notice that this troubleshoot guide won't cover everything, as plenty could go wrong.

- Crashes during start-up / loading of the game.

The most common issue is a crash during start of the game or after you've pressed "Start". The problem usually relates to third party applications that hook into DirectX / d3d9.dll which ENB doesn't like. That means recording software like Dxtory and Bandicam ( FRAPS works fine ), FPS overlays, hardware monitors and tweakers like MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner etc. and I also believe stuff like Teamspeak overlays can have an impact. There's a lot of software that can cause problems.

- My menu text is gone.

1. Download this "fonts.zip": Click

2. Open the folder "X:\(...)\Steam\SteamApps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV\common\data" and copy the files "fonts.dat" and "fonts_r.dat" as a backup to any other folder.

3. Copy both files that are contained in the "fonts.zip" to the folder "X:\(...)\Steam\SteamApps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV\common\data" and overwrite the existing ones.

4. That's it.

Note: "fonts.dat" is obviously for the western alphabet, while "fonts_r.dat" is the equivalent file for cyrillic symbols (if you are playing in russian for example).

( Taken from GTAGaming )

- I've installed a mod and the required scriphook, my game is crashing.

The newest ScriptHook.dll-version may not work properly with 1.0.4.0 and lead to crashes, so do as following:

1. Download this ScriptHook.dll-version: Click

2. Download the recent version of .Net Script Hook (I have tested with 1.7 Beta and it worked): Click

3. Copy the "ScriptHookDotNet.asi" and the folder "scripts" from the .zip-file of the .Net Script Hook into your GTAIV main directory. You do not need the also contained "ScriptHook.dll" as it does not work properly with 1.0.4.0.

4. Now copy the other "ScriptHook.dll" from the "GTAIVScriptHook_0.4.0_Redist.zip" into your GTAIV main directory. This one should work perfectly.

5. Finished. Now your mods and *.asi-files should work as usual if they require ScriptHook.

( Taken from GTAGaming )

- Game performance is abysmal / It's stuttering on my AMD card.

Apparently there's an issue with some AMD cards that just leads to extremely poor performance in the game. Personally I had a 5970 which is a Crossfire card and it was straight out unplayable due to stuttering. I also heard cases of single-card users getting really poor performance compared to an Nvidia equivalent. There is no exact science in this, there's crossfire issues but I don't know any specific cards that has these issues or what causes it exactly - Other than poor coding.

- Everything is completely washed out and foggy. ( 1.0.4.0 )

Usually this means you might not have installed Xliveless correctly ( xlive.dll ), as that'd block the ENB but not the ENBs colour settings. I have also seen cases where people are in actual fog in the game. Save the game to advance 6 hours or use a trainer to change the weather to confirm that's not the case.

- SLI Performance is on the low side

Try the latest SLI compatibility bits in Nvidia Inspector: 0x42500045 ( Old bit is 0x03400405 ) - This may improve SLI scaling for you.

- I installed some custom cars / a car pack, there's taxis everywhere!

It's a common issue well known to the community. It happens when you use excess memory with custom cars, then the game starts loading the top default model instead; The taxi. There's two ways of fixing it, either you only install size limited models of custom cars, some creators make small models that adhere to vanilla vehicle standards or you could download a traffic fix like http://www.gta4-mods.com/script/trafficload-f9780 ( See requirements on the left side! ).

However the traffic fixes can introduce new issues due to the game's poor memory handling, you'll see textures going missing, load very slowly, memory crashes and basically the game will just slowly conk out no matter how powerful your PC is or how many terabytes of RAM you have.

- Whoa, I have this drunken cam

Make sure you launch the game with LaunchGTAIV.exe and nothing else, as other .exes will activate the piracy detection.

- Helpful command lines

Either make a shortcut and add these to a shortcut of LaunchGTA in the target; "C:\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -norestrictions OR create a commandline.txt file in your root GTA folder and add them as shown below ( Underneath each other ).

Tools:
-benchmark: Runs the benchmark tool and immediately exits game.
-help: Display list of all command line options

Graphics:
-renderquality: Set the render quality of the game. (0-4)
-shadowdensity: Set the shadow density of the game. (0-16)
-texturequality: Set the texture quality of the game. (0-2)
-viewdistance: Set the view distance of the game (0-99)
-detailquality: Set the detail quality of the game. (0-99)
-novblank: Disable wait for vblank (No Vsync) ( Can cure long load times )
-norestrictions: Do not limit graphics settings ( If you can't change graphical settings
-width: Set width of main render window (default is 800)
-height: Set height of main render window (default is 600)
-safemode: Run the graphics in the lowest setting possible
-frameLimit: Limit frame to interval of refresh rate
(If refreshrate is 60HZ & frameLimit 1 = Locks down to 60HZ)
-refreshrate: Set the refresh rate of main render window
-fullscreen: Force fullscreen mode
-windowed: Force windowed mode
-availablevidmem: Set amount of physical Video Memory
-percentvidmem: Percentage of video memory to make available to GTA

Audio:
-fullspecaudio: Force high-end CPU audio footprint
-minspecaudio: Force low-end CPU audio footprint

System:
-noprecache: Disable precache of resources
-nomemrestrict: Disable memory restrictions

Sethos

Banned
ib1sqwUl8ZcSs7.png

Now, if you've followed the guide and installed 2.1 you might have noticed the distinct over saturation he has applied which is a borderline cartoon look in my opinion. We'd like to bring that down so we're going to be using his configuration tool we downloaded earlier to tweak the ENB to our liking - You obviously have creative freedom to do what you think looks best. Drop all the files from the iCEnhancer Config Tool archive into the GTA IV root folder. Replace anything it asks for.

ixtVBipSYvJAq.png

Start the tool with iCEnhancer_config_tool.exe and you should be presented with this

iflecyW8pdBEC.png

Pretty much every option is well explained, so it's just a matter of toying around with it. However just a few quick explanations: Enable In-game editing is the same as "CyclicConfigReading" in the iceconfig.ini. This means you can tab out and make changes then tab in to see the change - This beats having to constantly exit the game. However the setting can cause problems for some, game crashes and unindented bugs. Just beware of that when using that setting.

I can highly recommend Depth of Field, especially the High-Quality versions for taking screenshots - It looks amazing. However DoF can take a toll on performance and HQ DoF can give you quite a significant hit. So unless you have a powerful rig, use it as a screenshot setting.

To rectify the cartoon look of 2.1, check out the "Color & Image" section. Default settings are 1.33 Saturation and 0.25 Contrast. I suggest setting Saturation to perhaps 1.15/1.20 in that area, and then work your way from there. That'll give you a nice balanced look.

Lastly, under Performance you have some options for AA and AO. While (SS)AO provides a great image it will take a toll on performance. In some cases in excess of 10 frames per second. So unless you got the power for it, you might want to turn it off.

As for AA, use the recommended SMAA.

Normally tweaking an ENB was sailing through the shader files and configs to do all this manually but the configuration tool makes everything 100 times easier. So newcomers to ENB haven't been more spoiled like now.

i5HJ5yuxh3Ewe.png

No guide is complete without a warning of some sort and this one is no exception. As some may have heard, there is an overheating issue with the latest version of the ENB. As taken from Boris' website under ENBSeries v0.082 Beta;

Attention! Some videocards with specific drivers may be corrupted by this version, because it have optimized SSAO code and it greatly increase temperature of videocard. Don't use it if you don't have good PC case with cooling system (and at many other circumstances).

It isn't a widespread issue however, I hadn't even heard of a single case until a 'Gaf member reporting his card went pop. ( See http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40682682&postcount=2691 ). So it is an issue and without proper cooling you have a good chance of cooking your GPU. However his case was, as you can read, the perfect shitstorm that clashed :)

So what can you do? Well you could continue using .82 as it's not a widespread issue and your GPU won't burn out because you want to mess around with it. I've spent hours and hours using this version. HOWEVER, if you really feel strongly about it you can download earlier DirectX .dlls from his website;

.81 SORA http://enbdev.com/mod_gta4_v0081sora.htm

.79 SORA http://enbdev.com/mod_gta4_v0079sora.htm ( I know several ENBs tend to use this version instead of .81 )

Then replace the d3d9.dll under "Wrapper version" with the one in your GTA IV directory from the ENB installation.

HOWEVER, you will lose out on effects and benefits from the updated versions and as they can work slightly differently you might see unintended looks when replacing with these versions. A better bet would be to pull out good ole' google and search for ENB configs that are made around the earlier versions of the .dll, I know there's also an Icenhancer version out there where he tested with it.

ibiJuJQQQOEID1.png

isGJG0cita58I.png
iNa55DkSsjeow.png

iPhlve2GHdOfK.png
iJo3PmHFwHm2u.png

iwN6Upth73BkL.png
iMiHvGV11lsWk.png

ivblHpbCFfNwQ.png
ibe6EWthlUuAjU.png

iYadiAZrE0lp7.png

And breathe. This probably turned out just a tad longer than I had expected, I'm sorry about that. I really wanted to cover as many aspects as possible, get around all the questions I've seen through the months in the previous thread. However as you go through this guide you might spot some flaws, a broken link or a method that doesn't make much sense in that case, feel free to let me know and suggest some changes and I'll gladly amend the guide. Feedback is very welcome.

I will, if time and my lazy nature allows it, update the guide if newer / better solutions are released. I will also try to add new stuff to the mods section and how to get it working.

So with all said and done, I hope you got ENB up and running or got some questions answered or perhaps just a problem solved - Now it's time to post a lot of screenshots, share ENB settings, setups and complain about crashes below.

Enjoy.

goonergaz

Any advice on PC spec requirements? (I didn't see anything) - it's just a common Q (or rather was) on the DayZ thread so if something could be added it would be great :)

" Steam users who don't want to downgrade / EFLC users: Skip this downgrade guide. 1.0.7.0 / EFLC compatible files are included in iCEnhancer 2.1"

I never knew this, oh well, with downgraded version I can use 1.35, visually most appealing version imo.

TheDanger

Banned
Awesome thread man.

Slightly on topic:

Why is my performance so poor in GTA IV on lowest settings, 1920x1080. (20 -30 fps)

System:

AMD FX-1400 Quadcore 3,6 GHz
GTX 550TI 2GB
8 GB RAM

So since im not interested in replaying base GTA 4, and only want to play the DLC, im screwed right? I can only use the newer version of ENB?

Karak

Awesome thread man.

Slightly on topic:

Why is my performance so poor in GTA IV on lowest settings, 1920x1080. (20 -30 fps)

System:

AMD FX-1400 Quadcore 3,6 GHz
GTX 550TI 2GB
8 GB RAM

The GTX 550tigGB. These settings are harsh on FPS. Unless you are talking about vanilla GTA4 and the fact is, its just not the best optimized engine.

Subscribed!

Tried, I think it was iCEnhancer 1.20, with some other mods (FPS, Better City Textures, Car Packs) but had some technical difficulties e.g. extreme texture pop-up when driving fast. Game was basically unplayable, which was also due to a lot of sudden freezes/loading lockups and CTDs after accomplished mission loads.

Maybe I'll get into it again. Never finished GTA IV.

Branson

Nice! I always wanted to mod gta4 more and now I can downgrade to .4. That's generally the best version for mods other than enb right?

Karak

I know it's a cheap card, but I thought it could handle a 4 year old game.

It can, but low FPS as you are seeing. The issue is with GTA4 itself. It just frankly isn't up to snuff as a port. Its more a blunt horsepower engine than one that is elegantly programed and optomized.

Ifrit

Oh crap, I was hoping I could use with full features with the EFLC :(

But anyways great OP, finally some clear instructions for this mod

Thanks for doing this guide Sethos, I've never been able to get any of this stuff to work properly, but I'll definitely reinstall GTA IV and give this a whirl.

grkazan12

Quick question: If I install the steam version of GTA IV and play the game through LaunchGTAIV.exe will Steam still track the number of hours that I play?, Do I have to create a custom shortcut?

Sethos

Banned
Any advice on PC spec requirements? (I didn't see anything) - it's just a common Q (or rather was) on the DayZ thread so if something could be added it would be great :)

Sorry, it's pretty hard to put down some system spec requirements for this game and the ENB. It all comes down to the poor optimization and poor support all around, which means a high-end machine could struggle while a lower end machine could easily maintain a solid FPS. It's basically a dice roll and asking around.

So since im not interested in replaying base GTA 4, and only want to play the DLC, im screwed right? I can only use the newer version of ENB?

Well, there's a small handful of ENBs around the great interwebs that are either designed around EFLC / GTA IV 1.0.7.0 or contains a setup for those versions alongside the 1.0.4.0 version. However iCEnhancer 2.1's EFLC config is probably your best bet.

Nice! I always wanted to mod gta4 more and now I can downgrade to .4. That's generally the best version for mods other than enb right?

Yeah, however there are a lot of mods compatible with the newest versions of the games as the stuff required for mods ( ASI Loader and scripthook ) is up to date.

Nice post.

I was planning on doing one but gave up since GTA4 tends to crash alot with lots of mods installed (not just ENB, like script mods and extra stuff)

Razek

Banned
Nice, wasn't sure this was still going to happen after your recent posts in the other thread.

The 1.0.7.0 / EFLC version is a watered down butchered version. As explained earlier, the latest full featured ENB shader is for 1.0.4.0 so the 0.7.0 / EFLC version is just a leftovers version that doesn't look very good. I can't help you with this version either as it's a waste of time and I haven't messed around with it whatsoever.

Well, that's a challenge if I've ever heard one.

this thread is perfect, the cherry on top would be you replicating your 1.1 custom settings from the old thread into the 2.1 config version.

Or at least suggest what settings we can use to better replicate it with the config tool?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Great guide. Bookmarked for when I (eventually) get a GTX 670.

The PC version of GTA IV have had a bit of a hard birth. For every patch, Rockstar basically made a new shader to fix a lot of the game’s problems however that also meant Boris Vorontsov, the guy behind ENB had to re-write the ENB shader. After 1.0.4.0 he basically got fed up and decided not to re-write the shader any more

I appreciate his effort, but seeing as the game hasn't been updated since April 2010, it'd be nice if he changed his mind.

I uploaded some little script mods I like to use which some people might like:

http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/68260486/file.html

Set bombs under cars and remote detonate them
Fire Fighters actually respond to fires
KungFu fighting mod (lets you do finishes all the time)
Spawn ladders
Smoke a cigarette
Pull out an umbrella when its raining (need to be holding no guns)

It's the little things that make it more fun :)

Theres heaps more on www.gta4-mods.com

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Always looks so good, when I get a new PC this is gonna be one of the first things i do.

I was running ENB series 2.0n, I was happy with it, then I went browsing the gta4 mod website, and came across this mod.

http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/enb-series-schakusa-styled-v21-f16234

This is by far the best looking mod I have ever used, and I have been using different mods for a long time.Words cannt explain how awesome the mod makes the game look.It actually looked too good to be true!

As always, I just pasted the files into the gta4 folder over my 2.0n settings and loaded it up.

The colors saturation in this mod looks spectacular.

I wish I could have posted scenshots of it (there is a video of it on the link) but I think this mod looks even better than the video I saw, crazy I know!

The file is 10mb btw.

Give it a shot, and play around in the game....well, I was just walking around exploring things for a long time and I had to come post this here.

Everything just looks perfect, and the performance was great.

can ENB/Ice make it run smoother? EFLC/Steam user chiming in. I can run it nearly at max vanilla with it going mostly OK but just wondering if there are any tweaks I can do with these to just make it a bit more buttery

Riggs

Banned
Thanks Sethos I will subscribe. I am to scared to try this worried my 680 will blow up lol. I have very good cooling but still the stories I have heard make me worry. Soooo tempting though.

Top Bottom