• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle.net Compromised

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/securityupdate.html

Even when you are in the business of fun, not every week ends up being fun. This week, our security team found an unauthorized and illegal access into our internal network here at Blizzard. We quickly took steps to close off this access and began working with law enforcement and security experts to investigate what happened.

At this time, we’ve found no evidence that financial information such as credit cards, billing addresses, or real names were compromised. Our investigation is ongoing, but so far nothing suggests that these pieces of information have been accessed.

Some data was illegally accessed, including a list of email addresses for global Battle.net users, outside of China. For players on North American servers (which generally includes players from North America, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia) the answer to the personal security question, and information relating to Mobile and Dial-In Authenticators were also accessed. Based on what we currently know, this information alone is NOT enough for anyone to gain access to Battle.net accounts.

-Mike Morhaime

Rokam

171-0501094832-surprised-face_original.jpg

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This is why we can't have nice things. :(

Thoraxes

I use a regular authenticator (not mobile or dial-in) and have mobile verification too. Not worried.

It's still pretty garbage though, that's for sure.

Derrick01

Banned
Is it possible to shut down your account permanently? I'm not likely going to buy any Blizzard games in the forseeable future and already haven't used mine in a few years when I quit WoW.

It should be mandatory to offer an easily accessible way to close your account down for good. But then again that makes inflating numbers via PR statements harder.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
I'm worried about my CC, but after Diablo 3 they can hack the shit out of my BNET account for all I care.

B-Dex

They can brute force your legit pw or even reset it and then use their stolen info to gain access.

your email, the answer to the personal security question, and information relating to Mobile and Dial-In Authenticators were also accessed

But we don't THINK they can do anything... LOL....

Also wow, the mobile dial-in stuff and security questions were accessed?

Do they mean "well they got it but it's encrypted" accessed or accessed accessed?

Toki767

Glad I didn't give them my credit card info at least. Still, that's like how many million old and current WoW players?

Somnid

I use a regular authenticator (not mobile or dial-in) and have mobile verification too. Not worried.

It's still pretty garbage though, that's for sure.

Your authenticator/password/whatever means shit when someone accesses the database. The is b.net profiles, not individual game accounts.

I hope they clarify the bit about authenticators.

Most likely exposed the authenticator seed.

I'm worried about my CC, but after Diablo 3 they can hack the shit out of my BNET account for all I care.

CCs are probably encrypted. If it was done well it's not exposed.

strafer

Well Blizzard are kind enough to say something, not like Sony who kept their mouths shut until weeks in.

Not cool.

Top Bottom