• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 3 director: Games journalists are too soft on Japanese devs

Nibel

Catch a Fish if old

Alexander Hutchinson told CVG that certain elements of Japan-made games, particularly their narrative, are often flawed but routinely forgiven.
"I think there's a subtle racism in the business, especially on the journalists' side, where Japanese developers are forgiven for doing what they do," he said.

It is likely that the meaning behind this claim is that Hutchinson feels there is a positive discrimination towards Japanese developers, as opposed to a "subtle racism".

In a comprehensive and candid interview with CVG, Hutchinson said that the alleged preferential treatment that Japanese developers receive is "condescending" to their sector, as all developers should be held to the same standard.

He explained: "Just think about how many Japanese games are released where their stories are literally gibberish. Literally gibberish. There's no way [a western developer] could write it with a straight face, and the journalists say 'oh it is brilliant'.

"Then Gears of War comes out and apparently it's the worst written narrative in a game ever. I'll take Gears of War over Bayonetta any time.

"I just think the simple question should be; is the story any good?"

Elsewhere in the Assassin's Creed 3 interview, Hutchinson shared praise for Japanese developers.

"Nintendo has been great at reinvigorating their franchises, as have other Japanese companies," he said.

But his claims regarding positive discrimination add to a long-running debate on the health and stature of the Japanese games development industry. Former Capcom development executive Keiji Inafune triggered the discussion in 2009 when he infamously declared Japan's games industry as "finished".

In March the debate flared up again after Phil Fish, the co-founder of Fez developer Polytron, told a Japanese games developer live on stage that "your games just suck".

Source

Aeana

He explained: "Just think about how many Japanese games are released where their stories are literally gibberish. Literally gibberish. There's no way [a western developer] could write it with a straight face, and the journalists say 'oh it is brilliant'.

Does this ever happen?

remz

"Then Gears of War comes out and apparently it's the worst written narrative in a game ever. I'll take Gears of War over Bayonetta any time.

Who cares about the story in Bayonetta?

I also think the complaints against the story in bayonetta are exaggerated, I mean it's ridiculous but it makes sense if you pay attention. It's not complete nonsense.

kadotsu

Banned
Yeah, the amount of positive coverage of Japanese games and devs has really been the problem this gen. Oh and about that combat system of AC 'oh it is brilliant'.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Not all japanese story tropes translate well to other cultures. A western tale thats still shit is of course going to get more crap, especially when a hullabaloo is made of hiring PROFESSIONAL STORY WRITERS and the like.

Assassins Creed story has a whole fuckton of gibberish too. Sun Aliens.

linko9

Why would you ever make that sort of comment. Not only does it make you look disrespectful towards an entire nation, it implies that you think your games are great. Also, if that dude was playing Bayonetta for story, he was doing it wrong.

dan2026

It is true, look at Final Fantasy XIII, the story was literally nonsense.

Same with Metal Gear Solid. I love the series but the story is complete garbage to be fair.

I find accusing the games journalism community of racism is a great way of making your point and will definitely make things better

Hindle

Banned
Japanese game developers dont focus on the story, and also I prefer the gameplay of Bayonetta to the gameplay of any of the AC games any day of the week. Bayonetta does not get boring.

"Then Gears of War comes out and apparently it's the worst written narrative in a game ever. I'll take Gears of War over Bayonetta any time...

need to see the article describing bayonetta's narrative as 'brilliant' :) ...

Yeah, the amount of positive coverage of Japanese games and devs has really been the problem this gen...

seriously - what prompted this outburst?...

Did this guy read a single piece of gaming "journalism" from this gen? It's heavily slanted against Japanese devs/towards Western ones.

Further, he's complaining about story, a fairly irrelevant element in most genres.

Ryoku

I've played so many JRPGs with much, much better narratives than what was present in GoW. And don't get me fucking started with Dead Space 2.

Zaventem

Well Gears Story story isn't trash but extremely simple plotted like most shooters.Bayonetta purposely has a funny ridiculous story.And forgiven? I'll say we're overly harsh with some Japanese games.The amount of times i've seen a game bashed because it has effeminate men or calling everything pedo.Hell one recent review i glanced from a major review magazine gave a game a low score because the artstyle.

If you're into the cartoon 12-year-olds, adjust the score up a few points. Otherwise, avert your eyes and move along.

Playstation: The Official Magazine

madkiller

I'll take Gears of War over Bayonetta any time.

ODvHQ.gif

-PXG-

Racism? What?

Granted, Japan overall has been slipping, but this comment just doesn't make any sense. He should kindly shut the fuck up and worry about his own studio and his game.

Seriously, devs need to just be quiet and make their games. Stuff like this should never get out

remz

If anything the only game I see getting ludicrous praise for average elements is Assassin's Creed. with both it's nonsensical plot and boring, braindead combat often lauded as being amazing.

gabbre

He explained: "Just think about how many Ubisoft/western games are released where their gameplay mechanics are literally awful and boring. Literally aweful and boring. [...], and the journalists say 'oh it is brilliant'.

Fixed

Pikma

Banned
At least Japan has the guts to admit when their stories are cheesy/ridiculous/nonsense/crazy and decide to go with them, western devs only make "visceral experiences with mature content that make you care about the characters".

Zaventem

Bayonetta's plot makes more sense that Assassin's Creed.I'm sure every AC game had a wtf moment and not in a good way.In bayonetta if i'm going wtf it's wtf that awesome and passable within THAT fantasy world.The shit i saw at the end of AC 2 left me with the most bitter taste in my mouth.

Thoraxes

So get this guys... I got this idea for a game.

You travel back in time mentally to relive being your ancestors to give you ninja powers in the future because memories live in your blood. So by using this machine, and being your own grandpa metaphorically (because you still have to create yourself), you become a badass over the course of yearly sequels.

Hindle

Banned
Western developers seem to geniuenly believe they can tell good stories, Japanese developers dont give a shit and still focus on the gameplay whilst taking the piss with thier stories.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did anybody praise Bayonetta's story? I thought the most common praise/criticism from both fans and journalists regarding both Bayonetta and Vanquish were that they were among the best playing games of the generation, but had rubbish stories. I thought this was a thing.

remz

Did anybody praise Bayonetta's story? I thought the most common praise/criticism from both fans and journalists regarding both Bayonetta and Vanquish were that they were among the best playing games of the generation, but had rubbish stories. I thought this was a thing.

It is a thing. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single critical review that doesn't say the story is confusing/nonsense/rubbish

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I'd pay to see this Director to play through Deadly Premonition.

Iceblade

Why are people jumping on the racism bandwagon all of a sudden? You do know that it's possible to objectively state cultural differences and schisms between journalists and the games that they are reporting on without harbouring an ethnic grudge against an entire nation, right? I mean, don't be ridiculous.

duckroll

Why are people jumping on the racism bandwagon all of a sudden? You can objectively state cultural differences and schisms between journalists and the games that they are reporting on without harbouring an ethnic grudge against an entire nation. Don't be silly.

I don't think it's a bandwagon when he's the one who used the racism word first. :)

mclem

Gibberish can be brilliant if it's fun gibberish. I adore the story and characterisation in Katamari Damacy because it's just so much fun, even though it's almost entirely pointless.

Dear Assassin's Creed 3 guy,

Nobody gives a shit about Bayonetta's story. It's stupid and ridiculous and knows it is. The reason why Bayonetta is a fantastic game is because it has fantastic gameplay mechanics. This is something that Assassin's Creed and Gears of War lack. And no, press X to do cool shit is not what I'd consider a good gameplay mechanic.

P.S. The story in Assassin's Creed isn't something you should be proud of. If anything, the fact that you guys seem to actually take it seriously probably makes it worse than Bayonetta's story.

When was the last time a Japanese game was praised for the plot? They are routinely mocked in the West, this is not the reason we play them. Atmosphere is top-notch, genre mixing is interesting, etc.

Also, the guy is plain ignorant, he needs to look at the target audience in Japan - kids aged 14-16. Then compare it with typical Western gamer. See the difference?

Risette

A Good Citizen
What alternate reality does this guy live in? Gaming media has been too harsh on Japanese devs this gen if anything.

Dear Assassin's Creed 3 guy,

Nobody gives a shit about Bayonetta's story. It's stupid and ridiculous and knows it is. The reason why Bayonetta is a fantastic game is because it has fantastic gameplay mechanics. This is something that Assassin's Creed and Gears of War lack. And no, press X to do cool shit is not what I'd consider a good gameplay mechanic.

P.S. The story in Assassin's Creed isn't something you should be proud of. If anything, the fact that you guys seem to actually take it seriously probably makes it worse than Bayonetta's story.
No dude, in AC you have to hold RT+A for cool shit to happen!

Top Bottom