• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Punch-Out!! Kickstarter (Book)

Anustart

This thing really needs some lovin' GAF! Such a classic and the book looks fantastic.

PO!! Kickstarter

I've never backed any project, but planning to chip in either on the $125 or $250 level on this one in a couple weeks my funds roll in. I especially wouldn't mind one on the Wii Punch Out!! since it's one of my favorites, but I love this gem just as much.

Richie

From 10 bucks for a PDF to 125 for the actual book. Woah. Not doubting it'll be a quality project, but that ain't cheap man.

Anustart

From 10 bucks for a PDF to 125 for the actual book. Woah. Not doubting it'll be a quality project, but that ain't cheap man.

Yeah, that is super pricey :/ But I'm a PO junkie so $125 it is. Just wish it wasn't $50 more for the poster :(

Het_Nkik

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! is one of my favorite games of all time... I am going to crack on this one, I just know it. Shhh, shhh, it'll be alright, Wallet. It'll be alright.

Kaibutsu

Um, that's great and all and yes I do want a copy but didn't Nintendo lose the rights for Tyson thus Mr. Dream? Good luck to being able to afford negotiations with Mike Tyson on this

Glass Joe

$125 for a hardcover book is way out of my range. I know he says it's non-profit but damn.

Oh, and hopefully it will be edited for typos. Just looked at the kickstarter once, casually, and saw Glass Joe and Von Kaiser having the same record win / loss record in the book (1-99). Google search shows Kaiser should be 23-13. Hopefully the book isn't filled with stuff like that, but I caught that at the quickest of glances (1:01 in the vid).

Anustart

$125 for a hardcover book is way out of my range. I know he says it's non-profit but damn.

Oh, and hopefully it will be edited for typos. Just looked at the kickstarter once, casually, and saw Glass Joe and Von Kaiser having the same record win / loss record in the book (1-99). Google search shows Kaiser should be 23-13. Hopefully the book isn't filled with stuff like that, but I caught that at the quickest of glances (1:01 in the vid).

I do know that particular error has already been discussed on SDA, so I'm sure the author is aware of that flub, but yeah, if those are peppered throughout the book and not all are caught, that would be disheartening.

IrishNinja

Pretty big difference between 1st and 2nd tier rewards

yeah. again i get small runs of hardcovers aint cheap, but this is way too big a gap....i want it, but that feels kinda ill thought-out. im assuming the math of making a larger run was somehow worse, but...damn, sucks to be left out of one id really like to back.

Anustart

This is on his comments section (about that Kaiser error) :

"Well spotted! Yes, the Von Kaiser win/loss record was fixed (copy and paste error) after the prototype copy was printed. Unfortunately I used an old screenshot and didn't realize...whoops!"

I feel like I should go in for $125, considering how much this game meant to my childhood, but my wallet says "$10 if you want that Wii U."

My wallet needs to stop being realistic and let me dream.

I was kinda interested until I read:

The last hurdle is getting copyright permission from Nintendo and various other sources, which is expected to take three months and may result in minor edits or omissions.

This part worries me with them asking for so much. It's not a done deal yet.

Anustart

Couple things. Voice your opinions in his comments about the 125$, may help get some other option in there, and lastly......

I really want this funded because I really want that book, if there was enough interest on GAF, I'd be willing to fund it twice at $125 to get two books, and hold a lottery for any gaffer that chips in 10$, winner would get my second book.

goldenpp72

This seems really grossly over priced but, not being an enthusiast I could be wrong. For those who want it for that money good luck though.

Grym

I'd be shocked if this gets funded...even if it is no way they are getting past the copyright hurdles with nintendo and Tyson. Sucks cause it looks pretty damn cool.

IrishNinja

Couple things. Voice your opinions in his comments about the 125$, may help get some other option in there, and lastly......

I really want this funded because I really want that book, if there was enough interest on GAF, I'd be willing to fund it twice at $125 to get two books, and hold a lottery for any gaffer that chips in 10$, winner would get my second book.

aw man, i wanna win this lottery!

also, i went to leave a comment about this very issue (maybe point to this thread too) but only backers can leave them, debating tossing in the $10 just to drop him a line, but i might submit a question instead. if he pulls this off, i want him to know how many people might be down for this at another price.

JABEE

Wouldn't they have to get permission from both Nintendo and Mike Tyson? Didn't Tyson and Nintendo have a disagreement that lead to his name being taken off of the game?

Bog

Junior Ace
I'd love to have this, but no chance he gets Nintendo's approval. Wouldn't he need Tyson's, too?

IrishNinja

Wouldn't they have to get permission from both Nintendo and Mike Tyson? Didn't Tyson and Nintendo have a disagreement that lead to his name being taken off of the game?

i was always under the assumption they dropped him after the rape charge, just like sega and MJ moonwalker when his legal woes began. i could be wrong?

IrishNinja

I love Mike Tyson's Punch Out but I have a hard time believing there's 240 pages worth of interesting information about the game.

i was kinda thinking this too...the video on his kickstarter shows a great deal of art (which is cool), if im not mistaken aren't we seeing stuff from SNES and Wii designs too though?

Gannd

Banned
TheirI goal is $25,000 and to print 200 copies. This does not compute.

And do you they have to sign the poster?

Top Bottom