• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you ever date a transgender person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endo Punk

I was watching this documentary the other day about Thailand's lady-boys and it hit me, what exactly makes a woman attractive? It usually is the physical attraction. So a guy who looks feminine or has taken Hormone replacement therapy, even gone under the knife can be just as attractive as a born female.

So GAF what do you have to say about the matter. It's definitely not wrong for one to transform themselves to how they feel inside but maybe asking another to accept such a change is too much, is it?

Endo Punk

It is? well that was what the documentary was called. And they didn't seem to mind. Umm can we get a change because it was never my intention to offend. And what would be the suitable word?

It is? well that was what the documentary was called. And they didn't seem to mind. Umm can we get a change because it was never my intention to offend.

Ladyboy is a term more specified for Thailand and even then I don't think it's what you would call a nice one. What you are describing in your post could be trans women, androgynous people, cross dressers, or gender queer individuals.

Let's not jump on the guy, after all it was only through this forum that I found out ladyboy was really offensive. There have been a couple of documentaries in England titled 'ladyboys' afterall

I can't say I've every seriously considered it personally id like to think I judge each person on their individual merits but I think possibly there is a stigma there which would maybe stop me which is sad really

I personally prefer hyper masculine men (which as a good friend pointed out to me is just another form of drag), so I'm not (usually) attracted to hyper feminine men, but I celebrate anyone who does find them attractive. Someone for everyone.

Love who you love! :)

Mechazawa

I've actually thought about this more than once despite the probability that the situation would almost definitely never present itself.

And I frankly don't know. it would be some crazy fucking mental gymnastics for me if I ever faced the situation, though.

This is assuming that they're full blown transgendered.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure that in thailand lady boy is the word...

they treat it as 'the third sex' rather than boy or girl (I was lead to believe).

SmokyDave

The point still stands. If saying 'poor choice of words man' is jumping on him...

It isn't even a poor choice of words in this case.

The word kathoey is thought to be of Khmer origin. It is most often rendered as ladyboy in English conversation with Thais and this latter expression has become popular across South East Asia.
Remember that the word “katoey” is seen by many ladyboys as a pejorative, so we recommend using instead the terms “lady” or “ladyboy.”
First from Wiki, second from here.

There's some cultural insensitivity going on here but who can tell which direction it's going? Thai-GAF need to weigh in.

It isn't even a poor choice of words in this case.

There's some cultural insensitivity going on here but who can tell which direction it's going?

Eh he's asking about trans women or effeminate men in his post. Ladyboy doesn't encompass that properly, it's slang.

SmokyDave

Eh he's asking about trans women or effeminate men in his post. Ladyboy doesn't encompass that properly, it's slang.

"I was watching this documentary the other day about Thailand's lady-boys"

C'mon girl, read the OP!

Anyway, enough derailing from me. It is what it is.

EVOL 100%

it's not any single reply, it's that people kept replying and saying those things. then the talk of banning.

it took one or two people, not a mob.

I don't think anybody really called for the OP's ban. He shouldn't be banned, he knows it can be offensive now, let's end it at that.

And in my defense I thought I was the first one posting. This thread moves fast lol.

To get on topic, I don't think I would but never say never.

Dead Man

Dude may have had a poor choice of words, and it is always good to educate people, but a couple posts do come off as bloodthirsty and the guy was apologetic and has asked a mod to correct it.

Anyway, back on topic. Yes, I would date a transwoman, but I don't know if I would if they had sex assignment surgery. I know transwomen hate having a penis, but I just prefer natural bodies to surgical ones. Same for breast implants, for any girl, trans, cis, or otherwise. I know we can't be friends now, SmokyDave, but I can't rock out with the implants.

/too much information

Sexual preferences are weird, and idiosyncratic.

Emitan

C'mon girl, read the OP!

Unless he's asking if GAF is going to fly to Thailand or only asking GAFers in Thailand ladyboy isn't the appropriate term.

I personally believe words are only as offensive as you want them to be (unless there's ill intent of course). It's almost like some people WANT to get hurt by certain words.

I don't think I would date a transgendered person myself but I guess I can't say never ever. Maybe I just haven't met the right one yet.

SmokyDave

Anyway, as for my actual answer, probably not. I'm at the point in my life where I want to have children. Also, the fiancee would probably flip the fuck out if I started dating someone else.

We can still be friends Dead Man, because:
Sexual preferences are weird, and idiosyncratic.
Your dislike of implants may be weird, but I still dig ya.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The point still stands. If saying 'poor choice of words man' is jumping on him...
For one, it would take a collective effort, I wasn't pointing out any single post.

And secondly, it is evident that when the OP is simply posing a question for other viewpoints and 11 posts later the OP is saying this:
Well it's been nice. I'm truly sorry if it came off offensive -_-
That there must've been something collectively that made him post that.

That'll be my last post on the matter, no more derailment is necessary. As for the question at hand, no I wouldn't date a transgendered woman, simply because of preference, not because I think any lesser or greater of them than a woman.

C'mon girl, read the OP!

Ehum, no? He's asking about ladyboys very specifically. Looks like you were wrong. Deal with it.

No he's not, he's asking in a generalized fashion. Ladyboy is slang, a pejorative, it's not really nice to call anyone that particular term or use as a transgender/transexual label. He even edited the title to reflect that.

GavinGT

Banned
It can't be easy for people with gender confusion. On one hand, they can get the surgery and make their body match how they feel mentally. On the other hand, it seems like they're setting themselves up for a seriously hard time finding a partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom