• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Sports Franchise: 6 million copies sold

Miles X

Microsoft revealed the Kinect Sports franchise has sold more than 6 mill copies as of April this year.

Kinect Sports Ultimate Collection rated E-E10+, is available exclusively on Kinect for Xbox 360. It includes 13 exciting sports, plus add-on content2. Competitive fun for the whole family, fans around the world have made “Kinect Sports” the bestselling franchise on Kinect for Xbox 360, with more than six million games sold to date – the most of any Kinect franchise*

http://press.xbox360.com/releases/6...llection-bundles-kinects-two-bestselling-game

Microsoft revealed the Kinect Sports franchise has sold 6 mill copies as of April this year.

Kinect Sports Ultimate Collection rated E-E10+, is available exclusively on Kinect for Xbox 360. It includes 13 exciting sports, plus add-on content2. Competitive fun for the whole family, fans around the world have made “Kinect Sports” the bestselling franchise on Kinect for Xbox 360, with more than six million games sold to date – the most of any Kinect franchise*

http://press.xbox360.com/releases/6...llection-bundles-kinects-two-bestselling-game

Not quite up there with the 79.60 million copies of Wii Sports, bundled as many of them are.

Still, MS must be pleased with this outcome. They finally get their Rare money back, and all they had to do was destroy the creativity of the team, cancel projects rampantly, turn their IPs into cheap Minecraft skins, and force them into making games that are heavily inspired by the bundled-launch software of Rare's former owner. Well done Microsoft.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Not quite up there with the 79.60 million copies of Wii Sports, bundled as many of them are.

Still, MS must be pleased with this outcome.

The better comparison would be Wii Sports Resort which has sold over 30 million copies worldwide, but (considering the install base), even that really isn't fair.

Randdalf

The better comparison would be Wii Sports Resort which has sold over 30 million copies worldwide, but (considering the install base), even that really isn't fair.

Deservedly so. That game's the best motion controlled game there is. The table tennis is joyful to play.

MCD

Happy to see Rare devs finally getting some profit.

Hate what MS did to them all you want but seeing them getting back on their feet is all that matters.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Still, MS must be pleased with this outcome. They finally get their Rare money back, and all they had to do was destroy the creativity of the team, cancel projects rampantly, turn their IPs into cheap Minecraft skins, and force them into making games that are heavily inspired by the bundled-launch software of Rare's former owner. Well done Microsoft.
All according to.. well, you know.

Kacho

Well deserved. They're quality games and quite fun for a Kinect game.

Now use some of that money to make something we really want. :)

EGM1966

Not bad in isolation, but it's clear that even this pales massively next to Wii based sports and other titles. MS (and Sony in particular) really only ended up with scraps of interest vs what Nintendo saw with the Wii at it's peak.

hachi

Banned

But they're also grouping two separate games into the "Kinect Sports franchise" here.

I also might argue that WSR is indeed a fair comparison given that e3 2009 was the "new motion" year in which WSR was shown in final form, Sony pushed the upcoming Move, and Microsoft expended efforts hyping Natal / Kinect on the horizon. Given that the big thing around that time period was trumping the original Wii's motion control, I'd say that WSR (which did in fact require new hardware), Move, and Kinect should all be judged alongside one another; and the results don't exactly leave Kinect looking like anywhere near the success MS would have one believe, though certainly more successful than Move.

Enkidu

Also considering Kinect Sports consists of two games compared to one for Wii Sports Resort, it's not really an apples to apples comparison no matter how you look at it.

Skiesofwonder

Not bad in isolation, but it's clear that even this pales massively next to Wii based sports and other titles. MS (and Sony in particular) really only ended up with scraps of interest vs what Nintendo saw with the Wii at it's peak.

I'd say (almost) 20 million Kinects sold was better then expected.

sazzy

Well deserved.

I've heard they're great. Hopefully there's plenty more on the Xbox 8. More power to Rare/MS!

Skiesofwonder

But they're also grouping two separate games into the "Kinect Sports franchise" here.

I also might argue that WSR is indeed a fair comparison given that e3 2009 was the "new motion" year in which WSR was shown in final form, Sony pushed the upcoming Move, and Microsoft expended efforts hyping Natal / Kinect on the horizon. Given that the big thing around that time period was trumping the original Wii's motion control, I'd say that WSR (which did in fact require new hardware), Move, and Kinect should all be judged alongside one another; and the results don't exactly leave Kinect looking like anywhere near the success MS would have one believe, though certainly more successful than Move.

Still not a fair comparison at all. Wii Sports Resort was bundled with the required hardware ($49.99), and released on an install base much larger then Xbox 360 or PS3. Kinect Sports was a $39.99 game that needed a $149.99 (sold seperately) peripheral to be played.

For anybody to expect a motion-controlled peripheral to trump a system built around motion controls (and already out for three-four years), they would have had to be delusional. Kinect was extremely successful (sales-wise) at almost 20 million units sold, and helped extend the 360's life into being the dominate console of the latter-half of this generation.

Social

poor Rare franchises :(

No point crying over Rare itself though, there's no talent left there. They have all gone.

I am SHOCKED that people decided to purchase a game with their Kinect.
I am DOUBLY SHOCKED that most people bought the only game worth buying for Kinect.

Does raise questions though of 'Kinect 2' though; in the end Kinect sold quite a few units (the Kinect project arguably is what has made the 360 at least a financial success, expect the 720 to see MS use their console to sell other hardware peripherals too) but the software doesn't really add up from what we can see.

WillyFive

The Rare franchise everyone knows and loves! I can see it now.."from the creators of Kinect Sports"

RIP.

They are way ahead of you, this is their result on Google:

untitled.png

Comparisons to Wii Sports are ridiculous. Even Wii Sports Resort sold with it's peripheral which is much cheaper and was too bundled with millions of consoles and sold to a far bigger install base that bought their console for motion games, Wii Sports in particular. It's useless trying to twist these sales numbers, they're nothing but a success for Rare and Microsoft.

I am DOUBLY SHOCKED that most people bought the only game worth buying for Kinect.

Yup, Dance Central 1-3, Happy Action Theatre, Child of Eden, The Gunstringer, Disneyland Adventures and Fruit Ninja are all terrible.

No point crying over Rare itself though, there's no talent left there. They have all gone.

Based on what? You know that talent left, but you can't possibly comment on the talent of those that remain. Implying that the 200+ people that remain are the untalented ones is pretty gross.

hachi

Banned
Still not a fair comparison at all. Wii Sports Resort was bundled with the required hardware ($49.99), and released on an install base much larger then Xbox 360 or PS3. Kinect Sports was a $39.99 game that needed a $149.99 (sold seperately) peripheral to be played.

For anybody to expect a motion-controlled peripheral to trump a system built around motion controls (and already out for three-four years), they would have had to be delusional. Kinect was extremely successful (sales-wise) at almost 20 million units sold, and helped extend the 360's life into being the dominate console of the latter-half of this generation.

That makes sense, but I suppose I'm looking at it from a different angle in terms of impact.

I simply remember the e3 (or, two subsequent e3's to some extent) at which all three companies tried to compete for the new home of motion controls. Looking back, Sony essentially promised an HD replacement for the Wii and MS promised a brave new world of full-body motion that would put the Wii's sports games to shame, etc.

There was some laughter at Nintendo simply plugging a little cube into existing Wiimotes in order to improve its own tech, and whispers that Nintendo was about to left behind in the motion arena, but Wii Sports Resort was a pretty tremendous sales success, particularly given the need to purchase additional add-ons for multiplayer.

But then again, third parties didn't really "get" Motion Plus and the software outside of Nintendo's own efforts languished, though that happened more or less to all three companies, so I'm not sure what to say.

To be fair microsoft isn't known for forcing out churned sequels from the same studio repeatedly. I don't see them forcing rare to continue with the franchise past this gen. That's based on past evidence from their relationships with all other studios(let's just hope it doesn't turn out like ensemble studios)

To be fair microsoft isn't known for forcing out churned sequels from the same studio repeatedly. I don't see them forcing rare to continue with the franchise past this gen. That's based on past evidence from their relationships with all other studios(let's just hope it doesn't turn out like ensemble studios)

Well their latest job adverts are for AAA "core" games, so I think Microsoft are busy making sure their first party studios are creating a bunch of new IP's for their next-gen launch. It's far more important to them than selling more Kinects is at this point.

Dabanton

Based on what? You know that talent left, but you can't possibly comment on the talent of those that remain. Implying that the 200+ people that remain are the untalented ones is pretty gross.

Dude I was just clicking to say the same comment and it's not the first time I've seen rubbish like that said about them. It's pathetic that some people on here can so easily dismiss a whole company with shit like "Oh, All the talent has gone."

Really? How come I'm still seeing great games coming out of there then? They may not be to the taste of certain gamers on here,but they've certainly been successful.

And has this thread really turned into a willy measuring contest between franchises?

Top Bottom