• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 sold 10 million copies

Draugoth

Gold Member
According to new information found on the LinkedIn profile of one of the main developers of Just Cause 3, the open-world title has already exceeded 10 million copies sold worldwide.

Just Cause 3 is an open-world game developed by Avalanche Studios Group in partnership with Square Enix, and has been available on the market since 2015 on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. this sales figure hasn't been officially confirmed by Square Enix, but in 2018 it was revealed that the entire franchise had already sold 15 million copies.

103410.png

xrnzaaas

I was a dumbass who bought this thing on day1, because I loved JC1 and (especially) JC2 so much. At least it was a disc version so I didn't lose that much money in the end. Not only it played horribly on PS4, but there were so many wrong gameplay-related decisions... didn't even give the series another chance with JC4.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Loved 2 & 3 (though 2 felt more distinctive and had a good atmosphere).

4 felt clunky and looked like crap on the Pro. Gave up on it quite quickly.

Really hope there's fifth in the works and that it's a major step up.

A clean break from those crappy old CPUs and HDDs should help given the type of game it is.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Last good Just Cause. Had a blast playing this, even if it ran like shit on PS4. Picked it up again on PS5 and the framerates were stable, even when the action was at its most intense. Just Cause 4 however, fucked up badly with weird changes to the gameplay mechanics and poor graphics. I think this franchise is dead.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No way did this shit sell 10 mil copies, lmao.
Never believe Linkedin stats. Unless it's proven to be true with data (like AC Nielsen sales databases).

Most people I know on Linkedin who put in sales and stats are liars. I know since I worked with them and do finance so I know exactly how much each brand or product has sold in terms of company wholesale gross sales and POS sales (retail dollars based off Nielsen data). A lot of people fudge their job title and job responsibilities too, including bullshitting time gaps like saying they worked at one company (lets say March 2023) and next month got a job at another company (April 2023). The guy could had actually got fired in Oct 2022, but he lied on his Linkedin profile to make it look like he didn't have a 6 month gap of unemployment.

Almost every person who had a short term stint of lets say 6 months or less dont even put it on their resume because it looks bad they are job hoppers. So they fudge the jobs to make it look like they worked at one of their previous companies for 6 months longer than they did.

A lot of horseshit in Linked profiles.

Last edited:

nush

available on the market since 2015

How many of those were on sale at $5?

however the franchise sales show 15 million.

So all the other JC games only collectively for 5 million? Nope.

kiphalfton

SHIT sells

Open world = shit

People love these "check box" games, which is surprising given the average person can barely follow directions IRL.

Guess it's the reward system in most games (i.e. give some meaningless XP or whatever after completing a mission, and people keep chugging along).

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Open world = shit

People love these "check box" games, which is surprising given the average person can barely follow directions IRL.

Guess it's the reward system in most games (i.e. give some meaningless XP or whatever after completing a mission, and people keep chugging along).
Or, people enjoyed it because of the mindless sandbox destruction. Sometimes it’s fun jumping in and just destroying shit in a game. I played it pretty often between long dialogue heavy rpg sessions personally. Never thought it was particularly amazing, but a fun time nonetheless.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How many of those were on sale at $5?

however the franchise sales show 15 million.

So all the other JC games only collectively for 5 million? Nope.
The 15M number came from VG Chartz. But when you go to VG Chartz and flip through the various Just Cause games, nowhere does it come close to totaling 15M. Only data for JC1 (All) and JC2 (PC) are stated (5M total from JC1 1M and JC2 4M) and then suddenly a franchise link of 15M is there. Click that link and it's an empty shell only recapping JC1 and JC2 sales. JC3/4 are unknown blanks.

If VG's 5M sales for limited games and platforms is even semi-true, what the Linkedin guy did was take the wishy washy 15M VG stat, minused off the stated JC1 and JC2 sales estimates, and then parked the entire remaining 10M into JC3. lol

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Or, people enjoyed it because of the mindless sandbox destruction. Sometimes it’s fun jumping in and just destroying shit in a game. I played it pretty often between long dialogue heavy rpg sessions personally. Never thought it was particularly amazing, but a fun time nonetheless.
I never got into it as I played other games, but I thought the JC2 demo on 360 was solid. At that time I was probably too much into COD, Mass Effect and NHL games at the time.

whyman

Just Cause 3 was a really fun game. In terms of destruction it’s still ahead of 99% of games that feature it. Too bad Just Cause 4 was made. It ruined the franchise.

Alexvot86

Neo Member
Glad to see it. JC 3 is best just cause. Played the heck out of this and all the DLC. The low frames during intense action was annoying though. Played JC 4 once the new consoles came out and they fixed the graphics. Would love to see a JC 5.

intbal

One of the most discounted gaming franchises of all time.
I think only the first one will ever cost you more than $5.

Mossybrew

Not sure why OP is bringing this up today?

Anyway the series has yet to top JC2, each entry after has been progressively worse.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So where is 60FPS patch for 4th on consoles, as well as where is my fifth game?? 10 mils had to pay for development even if 4th sold less...

spons

Gold Member
Just Cause 4 kinda ruined the series for me. 3 was great and some of the most fun I've ever had in a game, but 4 ran and looks like ass on consoles. I also didn't like most of the design choices in general.

Vick

but something about JC2 was just right...
Location did it for me, so perfect.. and that incredible Lost easter egg was absolutely mindblowing to discover. The CUDA water at the time was also truly something.

Had a magic time with that game, to the point I think I've been the only one for a while with a ridiculously high completion clocking at 300+ hours, I recalled for a while it being 98% but I recently checked and it was actually more than 99%. 100% was actually unachievable.

I remember buying this on Xbox One and the load times being unforgivably awful. Ended up selling it and getting it on PC. Not a bad game, just not as good as I remember JC2 being.

Audiophile

Gold Member
I remember when JC2 was set to release and they put out a 30 minute limited demo on PS3 which I'd downloaded. I was 17 and in the latter end of leukaemia treatment at the time (all fine now) and went in to have a routine lumbar puncture/bone marrow aspiration. When I got back I still had a that pleasant post general anaesthesia dopiness (they knocked under 18s out for it) and also had a fat dose of codeine for costochondritis caused by the steroid treatment which also made me crave savoury food like crazy. I went to load up the demo, had my pile of snacks on hand; was high as a kite, completely signed off from school and I just sat there and played the demo over and over about 15 times.

Strangely good times.. basically a sky-high euphoric vegetable buggering around in a really fun sandbox for 8hrs straight with the most satisfying snacks I've ever eaten. 🥴

Last edited:

calistan

Love this series, but I think 2 was much better than 3. Stringing people up between buildings and attaching rocket mines to their feet was damn cool though.

In JC3 I got pissed off by some mission where you have to protect an ally, so I took advantage of the open world and liberated the entire map. Every enemy installation destroyed. Took absolutely ages.
Then, when I went back to restart that mission, the map instantly reverted to its enemy-occupied state and all my progress vanished. Never played it again.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Dug out an old drive. Some demented shenanigans from my time in JC3..

"Rico's Mobile":

"Hover Car" I & II:

"Iron Man" & "Rocket Pack":

"Big 'splOsion":

"Bovine Disaster Pants":

bender

What time is it?
I'd given my buddy's son my old iPad a few months prior to JC3 launching so he gifted me a digital deluxe code for JC3 since he knew how much I adored JC2. I managed to 100% the game even though it ran like straight garbage on the PS4. That said, even if it ran flawlessly, the game would still suck. That's a longwinded way of saying I'm one of those 10 million suckers.

Top Bottom