• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Vanguard Sold 30 Million Copies

Draugoth

Gold Member
Vanguard-scaled.jpg

Call of Duty: Vanguard has been widely considered one of the worst Call of Duty games ever released by players. The game has a “mixed or average” rating on Metacritic,

But despite the lower-than-expected reception from both critics and fans, the game still sold 30 million copies worldwide. That number comes directly from Brian Hong, who was a social media strategist for Activision for the game.

Despite the 30 million copies that were allegedly sold, Activision says that Call of Duty: Vanguard didn’t meet expectations. At the time in May 2022, the company said that it was due to a lack of innovation with the game as well as the World War II setting it had

via Insider Gaming

Mr Moose

Multiplayer is really fun way to level your guns up for WZ. It had a decent campaign, ok zombies and came off the back of the Uber successful MW1, Cold war and verdansk.
It's the only one I skipped in the last 12+ years, just from trying the demo.

Bond007

It was ok- not much different than the others.
The theming/weaponry can only get you so far and that was my biggest complaint. Other than that- atleast for me, same shit different day. Gameplay wise it felt as fluid as always.
My complaints are usually with the Black Ops series/Cold War- when it feels different.

That being said my least favorites are anything future or when they tried to started biting off Titanfall.

Last edited:
How's that compare to the other CODs?

I played it but it was nowhere near my favorite. Those repetitive, robotic end-of-multiplayer match MVP shots got old REAL quick:

Funny enough, Sledgehammer made Vanugard, and they're running Warzone now/ They must love unskippable BS because they put ANOTHER unskippable cutscene of Graves telling you how to play the game EVERY SINGLE GAME. The one in between the pre-game shooting lobby and the plane drop. So freaking annoying.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If the 30M is true, that’s I think that’s even on the high side of COD annual sales.

How does Vanguard sell this much? Lol. Maybe it was in bargain bin sales fast? Or the thirst for MW2 2009 maps was that thirsty?

BigLee74

Hated it at the beginning, but it grew on me and had some cracking maps. More importantly, I think it was the last COD game that wasn’t fucked over with their skill based match making algorithm where everybody must be 1.0.

It also had a great game mode called ‘Patrol’ (like hardpoint, but it continually moved throughout the map).

In hindsight, I had much more fun with it than MW2 and MW3!

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Pretty solid 15 bucks experience for zombies
Not nearly as good as cold war..
But okay

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think my friend gifted it to me. Talk about doubling down. COD is a monster...I'm curious how MW3 is doing compared to Vanguard.

clarky

Gold Member
Fucking HOW

The worst fucking COD game (until MW32023) somehow sold 30 MILLION?

Never before has such a dogshit game sold so much.
MW3 is the best COD in ages what are you talking about? Unless you mean the "reviews" for the shit campaign.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If the 30M is true, that’s I think that’s even on the high side of COD annual sales.

How does Vanguard sell this much? Lol. Maybe it was in bargain bin sales fast? Or the thirst for MW2 2009 maps was that thirsty?

And it still missed ABK's expectations! HOW?!?!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's weird, the expectations different publishers have ..

Activision: 30M sold but still performed below their expectation
Square Enix: Every western studio they had underperformed to their expectations according to them even though the TR Reboot trilogy and Hitman etc did quite well

Meanwhile

Capcom: RE4 remake sells 5~7 million, they're putting out celebratory PR that it's their fastest selling recent RE title
Atlus / Sega: Persona sells 1 million, they're putting out happy PR about it

Fuck, I'm still waiting for it to drop to around 15 bucks to play the campaign. If it sold this much it won't get really cheap in a loooong time

The only CoD I did not buy in the last five years. MP felt terrible during the trial they did. The singleplayer did not looking anything special based on reviews either.

twilo99

Dang.

Even a 'lackluster' one of these sells 30M copies.

CoD is a fucking juggernaut.

I think a lot of people actually liked Vanguard..

All the studios behind the franchise know what they are doing and the games are actually a lot of fun, the current one being one of the best ones I’ve played, and that got horrible reviews..

Barakov

Vanguard-scaled.jpg

Call of Duty: Vanguard has been widely considered one of the worst Call of Duty games ever released by players. The game has a “mixed or average” rating on Metacritic,

But despite the lower-than-expected reception from both critics and fans, the game still sold 30 million copies worldwide. That number comes directly from Brian Hong, who was a social media strategist for Activision for the game.

Despite the 30 million copies that were allegedly sold, Activision says that Call of Duty: Vanguard didn’t meet expectations. At the time in May 2022, the company said that it was due to a lack of innovation with the game as well as the World War II setting it had

via Insider Gaming
Not surprising. Even the bad CODs are better than some of the stuff out there.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am still missing that part. Where have we ended up here if 30 million is no longer enough?
Activision has every single studio of theirs working on cod to ensure it gets out every year.

they killed off all their other franchises and have turned into a one game publisher. these games are getting very expensive which means they want more and more sales.

also, vanguard had lower sales originally compared to black cops cold war.

Probably because sales were increasing until MW 2019, both it and cold war did 30 million as well, so they probably expected it to sell more, but also vanguard had bad reception right away, so a lot of those sales that brought it to 30 million were probably with many discounts.

EDMIX

"fLoPz oMg how will they survive? COD is on it last legs!" - some dumbass probably

(Shocked Youtube ClickBait face)

Fake

Probably one of the worst CoD ever proving how powerful this franchise is just like Pokemon.

rm082e

1. From what I've seen in the past, I think most publisher's "expectations" are usually for 90-180 days after launch, not 3.5 years later. So what did Vanguard sell by the end of Q1 2023? That would be the number to look at.
  2. I don't play COD, but from the sales numbers I remember seeing in the past, 16-22 million in the first year was the "normal" range for the last 10 years or so. If they managed to sell 30m with discounts and deals over the course of 3.5 years, that doesn't surprise me.
  3. There was a thread here a few months back saying MW3 (last year's game) sold 39% less than the previous game. It has seemed to me like COD has finally started to lose it's luster.
I guess we'll see how this year goes. If it bombs in reviews and the sales are lacking, that could be considered a trend.

EDMIX

Look I don't think anything is wrong with the 30 million who want to buy and play Call of Duty, they're free to play whatever the fuck they want btw.

However I think maybe something is more crazy with the general so-called "hardcore" gaming community that seemed to be under such a ridiculous fucking massive delusion you guys perceive your opinion is supported by the majority with not a single piece of data to even remotely fucking support this...

I mean my God how many fucking times is something like Call of Duty or Madden or Fifa needs to break numerous records for you to realize your feelings regarding it is not relevant to the majority?

This would be like acting surprise that millions are playing fortnight lol

( It's not saying I like the game btw )

If it's saying I'm completely fucking aware there's a ridiculous amount that do actually like and support it so I think maybe some of you guys need to get off of that high horse it's almost as if you guys are completely detached from reality....

Top Bottom